Internal MPC-HC filters or ffdshow for best quality decoding? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-26-2008, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello!

With MPC-HC and ffdshow I have basically two options: (1) use the internal MPC-HC filters to decode the movies and use ffdshow just for scaling, etc. or (2) disable all internal MPC-HC filters and use ffdshow for decoding too.

My question is, if I want the best PQ, which way should I go? What option are you using? I would really appreciate any hints and infos!

- Daniel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-27-2008, 12:49 AM

Not to much uptake on this... well what are your thoughts as maybe you already have the best answer

Dismissive A/V geeks that lack character, charm, serenity and humbleness give HTPC's a really bad name!
post #3 of 5 Old 12-27-2008, 01:12 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiPerFreak View Post

With MPC-HC and ffdshow I have basically two options: (1) use the internal MPC-HC filters to decode the movies and use ffdshow just for scaling, etc. or (2) disable all internal MPC-HC filters and use ffdshow for decoding too.

I'm missing something. If you are using MPC-HC internal filter then how is ffdshow in the loop? Or are you using ffdshow and setting the MPC-HC standalone filter in ffdshow?

I prefer not to use ffdshow as it stops DXVA, adds a layer of complexity, and I find MPC-HC bicubic scaling satisfactory (although I don't know how much better you can get). The only other adjustments I would want are colour management but no player/filter does that now to my knowledge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-27-2008, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter

ray.casey, I don't have an answer myself :-).

CSMR, if you set the "Raw video" codec in ffdshow to "all supported', you can use the internal MPC-HC filter for decoding and ffdshow for post processing, if this was you question.

Basically I want to use ffdshow for post processing, and for decoding I have the two options described.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-27-2008, 02:16 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
They should both produce the same output if there are no bugs, so it's a matter of speed since bugs tend to get ironed out in both programs fairly quickly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page