Win7 Ultimate RC to Win7 Home Premium Upgrade Installation - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 10-23-2009, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 260
I have a four month old HTPC that I started with XP and went immediately to Win 7 Ultimate RC. Then I installed three additional interal hard drives for media storage. Now I would like to install the Win 7 Home Premium upgrade. I would like to save about 12 mkv movies and the license for Power DVD.

1> Am I correct that I will need to revert to XP and if so how do I do that?
2> Am I correct that nothing on the 3 storage interal hard drives will be available after reverting to XP and then installing Win 7 on the boot drive.
3> Am I correct that I will need to purchase an external hard drive if I want to save anything from my current system?

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-23-2009, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post

I have a four month old HTPC that I started with XP and went immediately to Win 7 Ultimate RC. Then I installed three additional interal hard drives for media storage. Now I would like to install the Win 7 Home Premium upgrade. I would like to save about 12 mkv movies and the license for Power DVD.

1> Am I correct that I will need to revert to XP and if so how do I do that?
2> Am I correct that nothing on the 3 storage interal hard drives will be available after reverting to XP and then installing Win 7 on the boot drive.
3> Am I correct that I will need to purchase an external hard drive if I want to save anything from my current system?

My answers are based on your "storage drives" being just that: simple NTFS-formatted storage drives with the OS drive being separate (In other words, you have 4 hard drives total). Did you do anything funky to set up those 3 drives? Encryption? RAID? Anything like that?

1. As far as I know, yes. You will need to format the main OS drive, completely reinstall XP, then "upgrade" to Win7.
2. No. Why would it be lost? They'll simply show up as the same storage drives once Win7 (or any new OS) is up and running again. The only drive that should be effected by the OS installations is the OS drive itself.
3. No. Backup whatever you need to on any one of the storage (non-OS) drives, unplug them, reinstall the OS' on the main drive. Once everything is finished, reconnect the storage drives.

Now, if your OS is installed onto one of those three drives, then yes, that data from that drive will be lost when you format that one drive. If that's the case, then you'll need to move whatever is stored there, along with whatever application configuration files you wish to port over, documents, pictures, etc, to one of the other two drives.

Please list each drive, what's on it, and how you set each one up when you first connected them.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-23-2009, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkinsFan View Post

My answers are based on your "storage drives" being just that: simple NTFS-formatted storage drives with the OS drive being separate (In other words, you have 4 hard drives total). Did you do anything funky to set up those 3 drives? Encryption? RAID? Anything like that?

1. As far as I know, yes. You will need to format the main OS drive, completely reinstall XP, then "upgrade" to Win7.
2. No. Why would it be lost? They'll simply show up as the same storage drives once Win7 (or any new OS) is up and running again. The only drive that should be effected by the OS installations is the OS drive itself.
3. No. Backup whatever you need to on any one of the storage (non-OS) drives, unplug them, reinstall the OS' on the main drive. Once everything is finished, reconnect the storage drives.

Now, if your OS is installed onto one of those three drives, then yes, that data from that drive will be lost when you format that one drive. If that's the case, then you'll need to move whatever is stored there, along with whatever application configuration files you wish to port over, documents, pictures, etc, to one of the other two drives.

Please list each drive, what's on it, and how you set each one up when you first connected them.

All your assumptions are correct about my system. The three storage drives are set up with NTSF and no encryption or raid or anything fancy. I appreciate your taking the time and effort to respond and I will take your advice.

Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 10-23-2009, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkinsFan View Post

It appears that the "install twice" trick that worked with the Vista upgrade will also work with the Windows 7 upgrade:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.ph...st&p=591740168

-Dave
post #5 of 13 Old 10-23-2009, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 265
So basically, the upgrade DVD doesn't need proof of a prior install?

Would be a shame to purchase the $200 version and then read this.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-23-2009, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post

So basically, the upgrade DVD doesn't need proof of a prior install?

If you believe the post to which I linked, then yes.

I am sure that this will be tested by many the next few days, so a bit of patience will give you a certain answer.

-Dave
post #7 of 13 Old 10-23-2009, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 13
Also the OEM full version of HP for system builders 64/32 you will need to either zero out the drive or replace it with a new one. The disc won't load a clean install of the OS to an existing partition or any file system. It has to be completely zeroed out for it to clean install. I haven't tried the update path due to the fact that I went from XP 32 to Win 7 64.

Fastest way for me was just wipe my raid 0 array, my 36 GB Raptor crapped out a few hrs after I loaded the 64 OS . And of course I already imaged the drive with my XP OS so this is how I found out why W7 wouldn't load.

The good news is W7 tells you your drive will fail I and had enough time to raid, wipe and reload the OS to the other good drive. I ordered a WD Black 80 Sata HDD from the egg as I fear the other Raptor might be on it's way out also. Although Win 7 didn't complain about it I'm taking no chances. Hey these things are old!
post #8 of 13 Old 10-23-2009, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimo View Post

Also the OEM full version of HP for system builders 64/32 you will need to either zero out the drive or replace it with a new one.

That sounds like a pain. I have the OS in a small partition and I usually format the rest of the drive in another partition with 64K clusters. If I need to reinstall, I just reinstall to the partition.

With the OEM version of Win7, it sounds like I need to save everything from both partitions, zero the hard drive using the utility from the disk vendor (or another utility), install Win 7 to a partition smaller than the HD, format the second partition, and move everything back. Frankly, the "install twice" method with the upgrade disc to a partition sounds easier.

-Dave
post #9 of 13 Old 10-23-2009, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPlettner View Post

That sounds like a pain. I have the OS in a small partition and I usually format the rest of the drive in another partition with 64K clusters. If I need to reinstall, I just reinstall to the partition.

With the OEM version of Win7, it sounds like I need to save everything from both partitions, zero the hard drive using the utility from the disk vendor (or another utility), install Win 7 to a partition smaller than the HD, format the second partition, and move everything back. Frankly, the "install twice" method with the upgrade disc to a partition sounds easier.

-Dave

Yup the good old days are gone man, I couldn't figure why W7 refused to see the drive when I tried loading the OS on the imaged XP drive. And for safety sake formatting/deleting it twice in W7. Before I loaded the OS the first time I wiped the drives using bios and deleting both arrays that's what got me thinking how I was able to do it the first time around. Just glad I was able to figure it out.

I'm running a single 36 gig Raptor so you can partition it for 30 gigs. I'm just under 14 gigs of OS space and running just a few apps for now. But to tell you the truth Acronis is looking better, as much as I like the built in imaging backup in W7 Acronis has never failed me and saved my a$$ a number of times 6 min to re image your drive and your back up and running.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-24-2009, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Here's what I did:
1: Unhook your storage drives.
2: Install W7 and choose 'custom'
3: Hook storage drives back up.

No need to revert to XP, you can do a clean install upgrade with RC.
post #11 of 13 Old 10-24-2009, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Same here, I did a clean install with the upgrade disc on a Win 7 RC box. Activated just fine.
post #12 of 13 Old 10-27-2009, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPlettner View Post

-Dave

With Acronis 2010 you don't have to go through all that crap. I just got my WD 500 Caviar Black back up drive yesterday. With Acronis I just partitioned the 500 drive for 60 gigs then ran the back up image I made off the second Raptor drive. Acronis will delete that partition and run the back up image.
W7 will boot right into the OS and from there just go to disk management and format the 2nd partition on the 500 drive.

I did the same on my 80 gig IDE drive with XP before trying this on the new 500 WD drive. I guess with the OEM upgrade discs it's different, in my case I can't go from XP 32 to W7 64 bit upgrade path, so a fresh install was mandatory and had no intention of upgrading XP. My version is the OEM System Builders Pack full version not an upgrade if that makes any difference.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-27-2009, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 View Post

Here's what I did:
1: Unhook your storage drives.
2: Install W7 and choose 'custom'
3: Hook storage drives back up.

No need to revert to XP, you can do a clean install upgrade with RC.

This is exactly what I ended up doing. It seemed to work. However, getting all the programs reinstalled and running is time consuming.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page