XBMC Media Center : Setup Guide, Knowlege Base & Support - Page 113 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #3361 of 3419 Old 07-23-2015, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 411
I'm always inches away from loving XBMC/KODI but there always seems to be a few roadblocks...

1. Like one billion audio/video/system settings. Yes, I think I've been told this is for flexibility, but I'm just not used to this coming from a PCH 400 that just played all files right...when it I got it to find the files, lmao.

2. Right now the issue is VC-1 file playback. Jumpy/frame drops all over the place...Back to the Future, Lethal Weapon, etc. All others seem to be fine. Anyone have any suggestion for the "magic setting"? I run an Intel NUC DN2820FYKH to a Marantz 7702 PRE PRO to an EPSON and Panny PJ.

I've reset all settings to default to no avail and tweaked what I could to no avail.

Really irritating. Almost as bad as trying to find an easy way of listing multiple "user favorites" on the home screen which seems- unbelievably so to me- miserably impossible.

Thanks for any help, here!

James

My Parlor and Theatre: "Jimbo's Dugout" : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...re-parlor.html

Actual phone call (see pic to left):
 Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"
Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3362 of 3419 Old 07-23-2015, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Try the interlacing/deinterlacing options. Sometimes it helps.
post #3363 of 3419 Old 07-29-2015, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Send a message via AIM to lovswr
TH

Loving Kodi/Isengard but whenever I make a change to the GUI, like changing from BIG LIST to THUMBNAIL under view: for movies, does not stay. Even if the screensaver comes on it changes back to the default. Is there a way to make my personal preferences permanent?

carry on with your HD-Lite Directv loving banter! <--Comedy Gold
Don't fall for the HDMI 1.3 Hype!
PSN = lovswr
XBOX Live = lovswr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3364 of 3419 Old 08-13-2015, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Wondering how I can get XBMC to bitstream codes out to my Marantz 7702 pre pro. Currently it (the 7702) cannot down mix the LPCM multi channel it's seeing for the second zone so I'm wondering if it bit streams it if I'll have better luck.

Is my NUC incapable of doing it...running OPENELEC? http://www.amazon.com/Intel-DN2820FY...2&keywords=nuc

Still cannot get VC-1's to play without jumps, either.

Sigh.

Thanks
James

My Parlor and Theatre: "Jimbo's Dugout" : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...re-parlor.html

Actual phone call (see pic to left):
 Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"
Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."
post #3365 of 3419 Old 08-24-2015, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hi guys I'm still using XBMC gotham, I use it just for movies with external player mpc-hc/madVr, should I update to Isengard?
would I have any improvement for my use?

Thanks
post #3366 of 3419 Old 08-24-2015, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucaT View Post
Hi guys I'm still using XBMC gotham, I use it just for movies with external player mpc-hc/madVr, should I update to Isengard?
would I have any improvement for my use?
There is a fork of Kodi called "DS Player" that for a while has enabled using madVr. It is kept up to date with Kodi 15/Isengard. You might want to take a look at it. Check it out from here:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=223175

scott s.
post #3367 of 3419 Old 08-28-2015, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Below is a PC I have laying around that I want to possibly use as a dedicated HTPC.

Does this PC have HD Audio and are there any other issues that I will have with connecting this to a new Denon A/V Receiver X4100W and playing DVD and Blu-ray rips and using it as a HTPC?

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/p...ocId=c03652398

I also will be putting all of my ripped movie files on a 8TB external harddrive:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Deskto.../dp/B00R45V3SW

Last edited by AXLCMT; 08-28-2015 at 11:08 AM.
post #3368 of 3419 Old 08-28-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXLCMT View Post
Below is a PC I have laying around that I want to possibly use as a dedicated HTPC.

Does this PC have HD Audio and are there any other issues that I will have with connecting this to a new Denon A/V Receiver X4100W and playing DVD and Blu-ray rips and using it as a HTPC?

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/p...ocId=c03652398

I also will be putting all of my ripped movie files on a 8TB external harddrive:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Deskto.../dp/B00R45V3SW

Not positive, but I'm guessing your PC has audio out on an SPDIF/optical connection which I think is limited to "DVD" level passthrough (dolby digital 5.1 or dts 5.1). If you want HD sound I believe you need something that supports sound output on HDMI (such as an NVidia GTX graphics card).

scott s.
post #3369 of 3419 Old 08-29-2015, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott967 View Post
Not positive, but I'm guessing your PC has audio out on an SPDIF/optical connection which I think is limited to "DVD" level passthrough (dolby digital 5.1 or dts 5.1). If you want HD sound I believe you need something that supports sound output on HDMI (such as an NVidia GTX graphics card).

scott s.

Thanks Scott. I does have a HDMI connection in the back. Will that qualify what you describe as "HDMI (such as the NVidia GTX Graphics Card)"???
post #3370 of 3419 Old 08-29-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks Scott. I does have a HDMI connection in the back. Will that qualify what you describe as "HDMI (such as the NVidia GTX Graphics Card)"???
I did some more reading on a user manual, and it appears that you can in windows sound playback tab options, you can set it for "Realtek HDMI Output". (You might need to change the settings to "show disabled devices" and enable it first, then it is available.) So my guess is you are good with that hardware.

So connect the HDMI out to a Denon input. In Kodi you need to go to the settings menu (I think you have to set to advanced or expert mode to see all options). In system/audio audio output device cycle through the outputs until you find the Realtek HDMI. I would try WASAPI first and if you don't get sound then try DirectSound. Then enable the passthrough and all the passthrough modes the Denon supports (I think way in the back of the Denon user manual there are charts that show exactly what formats can be used on HDMI inputs). I think also an option is to send 7.1 LCPM multi-channel. But you probably want your Denon to do all the audio processing.

I don't have any HD audio hardware, so I can't tell you from personal experience, but that I think is how it all works. I know there have been problems people have with some HD audio in Kodi and you might want to go to Kodi windows OS forum and search through some thread topics. It sounds like you have all the hardware and just want to set it up so maybe just give it a shot and see what happens.

You might need to have a display hooked up to the Denon to get the whole HDMI chain working.

scott s.
post #3371 of 3419 Old 08-29-2015, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott967 View Post
I did some more reading on a user manual, and it appears that you can in windows sound playback tab options, you can set it for "Realtek HDMI Output". (You might need to change the settings to "show disabled devices" and enable it first, then it is available.) So my guess is you are good with that hardware.

So connect the HDMI out to a Denon input. In Kodi you need to go to the settings menu (I think you have to set to advanced or expert mode to see all options). In system/audio audio output device cycle through the outputs until you find the Realtek HDMI. I would try WASAPI first and if you don't get sound then try DirectSound. Then enable the passthrough and all the passthrough modes the Denon supports (I think way in the back of the Denon user manual there are charts that show exactly what formats can be used on HDMI inputs). I think also an option is to send 7.1 LCPM multi-channel. But you probably want your Denon to do all the audio processing.

I don't have any HD audio hardware, so I can't tell you from personal experience, but that I think is how it all works. I know there have been problems people have with some HD audio in Kodi and you might want to go to Kodi windows OS forum and search through some thread topics. It sounds like you have all the hardware and just want to set it up so maybe just give it a shot and see what happens.

You might need to have a display hooked up to the Denon to get the whole HDMI chain working.

scott s.

Wow. Thanks Scott for taking the time to read my manuals and give me the inside scoop!
I'm just reading the first few pages of this thread and will read all 100+ pages word for word. I'm at the posts back in 2011 when Kodi/XBMC does not have HD Audio yet but there are talks back then of it eventually being added so I apologize for having to ask a question which is now probably a well known factor......Does Kodi have HD Audio? I'm assuming the answer is Yes, since your last post for me said I can do it with the correct settings.
post #3372 of 3419 Old 09-10-2015, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello all! Newbie here and I was wondering if anyone could or would direct me to a first time user preloaded box to buy? I understand a good amount just not a lot of the behind the scenes stuff. I want to use it with my Samsung TV. Something that has movies, and lots of sports
post #3373 of 3419 Old 09-11-2015, 05:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captlifted View Post
Hello all! Newbie here and I was wondering if anyone could or would direct me to a first time user preloaded box to buy? I understand a good amount just not a lot of the behind the scenes stuff. I want to use it with my Samsung TV. Something that has movies, and lots of sports
Kodi in and of itself does not have movies and sports. There are people who sell (sometimes questionable) hardware preloaded with Kodi (which is free) with preloaded unofficial add-ons that link to pirated material of questionable/low quality.
post #3374 of 3419 Old 09-14-2015, 12:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Wow. Thanks Scott for taking the time to read my manuals and give me the inside scoop!
I'm just reading the first few pages of this thread and will read all 100+ pages word for word. I'm at the posts back in 2011 when Kodi/XBMC does not have HD Audio yet but there are talks back then of it eventually being added so I apologize for having to ask a question which is now probably a well known factor......Does Kodi have HD Audio? I'm assuming the answer is Yes, since your last post for me said I can do it with the correct settings.
Sorry a little late to the party and you probably know the answer now - but for anyone else looking in - YES Kodi does HD Audio, with as you point out the correct hardware and settings.
post #3375 of 3419 Old 09-17-2015, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

I have an IR Blaster "eye" on my screen wall that uses Cat5/RJ45 wire to go to the IR Blaster itself (Xantech) and I have a USB cable going from my HTPC to the HT Stage area which allows me to connect one of those MCE or UIRT or one of these USB Receivers for Media Centers http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Receiver...item3387f667d6.

I also have a Harmoney Remote.

Soooooooooo, how to I enable the HTPC to talk to the IR Blaster?

Do I hook up one of my IR Blasters to the "remote" sensor on the HTPC and have the setup like this?

Harmony Remote -> USB Receiver -> HTPC -> IR Blaster glued to HTPC on the HTPC "Remote Sensor" area ????

I believe this guy here explains how to have your Harmony connect to XBMC/Kodi.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=77519

Last edited by AXLCMT; 09-17-2015 at 11:43 AM.
post #3376 of 3419 Old 09-21-2015, 11:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2205 Post(s)
Liked: 766
I only use Blurays with Kodi, ripped and stored on my Nas.

Since I don't need any upscaling, what are the best video settings I should have VIDEO set to so all video gets passed through without any processing?
I have a Lumagen VP after the PC.

Appreciate the experts comments.

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
post #3377 of 3419 Old 09-24-2015, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

If I'm using the Confluence Skin, and I have ripped Blu-Rays and I am in the process of changing the file names/movie names, do I need to
add the "Media Source" tag name to the movie file name in order for Kodi to recognize the movie as a Blu-Ray?
Such as the below stated from the Wiki on naming conventions:

Main page: Media flags#Media source
Depending on the interface skin you are using, you can add additional media source information to a movie entry in Kodi. For example, in the default skin "Confluence" you can label when a file was ripped from a bluray disc by including BLURAY, BRRIP, BD25, or BD50 in the file name after the title. The exact options are different for each interface skin, but a list for the default Confluence skin can be seen on Media flags#Media source.

Example
Back to the Future (1985).bluray.mkv
post #3378 of 3419 Old 09-24-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
If I'm using the Confluence Skin, and I have ripped Blu-Rays and I am in the process of changing the file names/movie names, do I need to
add the "Media Source" tag name to the movie file name in order for Kodi to recognize the movie as a Blu-Ray?
Kodi itself doesn't use the video source info. Each skin determines the source by doing a string compare on the filename for the list of known source types. Typical use then is to display a flag image or video case image based on the source type. Not sure how it works if you rip to folder such as VIDEO_TS or BDMV.

scott s.
post #3379 of 3419 Old 09-27-2015, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Hi

Just starting using the kodi and love IT! Just has a question regarding upnp - I have my main laptop that I would like to use as host/server for the liberary info/adjusting movie info - fanart ++
In my HT i have a htpc that I want to use same liberary and NFO as the laptop. Does I need to have my laptop online - or just each time i have done some editing?

The laptop is Mainly for editing so I dont need to be in my theater for editing...

Sorry far bad english!
post #3380 of 3419 Old 09-30-2015, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Hey Guys, I am currently using Kodi, an older version (not sure which one). If i upgrade to the newest, will my settings stay the same or would it be a new clean install? Would I need to redo all of my settings?

Is there a certain or special way of installing it so that the settings remain the same?

Thanks!
post #3381 of 3419 Old 09-30-2015, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 36
every time I have upgraded, the settings have always remained in tact.
post #3382 of 3419 Old 09-30-2015, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Awesome. Thank you.
post #3383 of 3419 Old 09-30-2015, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
They should be maintained, you can back up %APPDATA%\kodi\userdata if you want to save them in case of problems.
post #3384 of 3419 Old 10-13-2015, 03:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Guys, I managed to get it working that MPC-BE plays my .m2ts (2D) movies as external player. What do I need to add to my playercorefactory to make it work so it keeps running my 2D movies (.m2ts files) with MPC-HC and my .ISO (3D) movies with PowerDVD? My playercorefactory now looks like this:
Code:
<playercorefactory>
 <players>
   <player name="MPC-BE" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
     <filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\MPC-BE\mpc-be.exe</filename>
     <args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args>
     <hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
     <hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
     <warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
   </player>
 </players>
 <rules action="prepend">
   <rule filetypes="mkv|m2ts|mov|bdmv|mpls" player="MPC-BE"/>
 </rules>
</playercorefactory>
post #3385 of 3419 Old 10-13-2015, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Is Media Center Master the only Bulk Renamer that does auto-updates for new trailers of movies you add to your library and that also does a complete "bulk" trailer download for all of your movies?
post #3386 of 3419 Old 10-16-2015, 03:22 AM

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hi,

I am using my laptop connected to my AVR (SR6009) through HDMI and play movies via KODI. Many of the movies played in this format, make my AVR show audio signal as "Multi Channel" and it seems like the audio signal that is sent from Laptop to AVR is PCM instead of the original signal it is meant to be.

The same movie if played VIA Bluray player (USB), the signal display shows on the AVR is "DTS".

Could someone please advise, what I am missing here. I checked the audio settings and it is set to "WASAPI MARANTZ".

Pass through option is also enabled.

Regards
V.S. Murlidher.

Last edited by murlidher; 10-16-2015 at 03:31 AM. Reason: updated
post #3387 of 3419 Old 10-16-2015, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

What happens if you scrape your movies (all with their own folders and all in one directory ie K:\ etc) using Media Center Master
and then do the "Set" then "Content" (ie add your movies into Kodi) in Kodi? Will Kodi automatically try to scrape all of the Movies all over again automatically or should I tell Kodi to automatically scrape all of the movies or should I NOT tell Kodi to scrape all of the movies that were already scraped using Media Center Master?
post #3388 of 3419 Old 10-16-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murlidher View Post
Hi,

I am using my laptop connected to my AVR (SR6009) through HDMI and play movies via KODI. Many of the movies played in this format, make my AVR show audio signal as "Multi Channel" and it seems like the audio signal that is sent from Laptop to AVR is PCM instead of the original signal it is meant to be.

The same movie if played VIA Bluray player (USB), the signal display shows on the AVR is "DTS".

Could someone please advise, what I am missing here. I checked the audio settings and it is set to "WASAPI MARANTZ".

Pass through option is also enabled.
Try working through the steps on this page first:
http://kodi.wiki/view/Windows_audio
It seems pretty in depth (I am using SPDIF in my setup so don't have direct experience to help).

scott s.
murlidher likes this.
post #3389 of 3419 Old 10-16-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
What happens if you scrape your movies (all with their own folders and all in one directory ie K:\ etc) using Media Center Master
and then do the "Set" then "Content" (ie add your movies into Kodi) in Kodi? Will Kodi automatically try to scrape all of the Movies all over again automatically or should I tell Kodi to automatically scrape all of the movies or should I NOT tell Kodi to scrape all of the movies that were already scraped using Media Center Master?
If MCM created .nfo files for each movie, that will always be used first when you tell Kodi to "update library" or "scan item". You can change the scraper for movie source to "nfo only", in that case the nfos will be used exactly the same way but if there is no nfo it will not attempt an online scrape. If you want to ignore an nfo file, you have to do it for each movie via the movie info dialog "refresh" which pops up a dialog asking if you want to use the nfo file. You can also use the movie info dialog to select between local art or art found during a scrape or linked in the nfo. Note that the art that actually gets displayed is first cached in the userdata\thumbnails regardless if there is a local jpg/png or remote URL link.

scott s.
post #3390 of 3419 Old 10-22-2015, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

If I have a 2.35 Jamestown Screen and a JVC Projector firing the image to the screen (I have not installed the screen or projector yet) will I have to use the MPC-HC "external" media player when playing ripped Movies via XBMC with regards to the issue of 2.35 aspect ratio movies or does XBMC already handle 2.35 movies with no problem in a situation/setup like mine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLIVE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydrunk
Do you have that open up from within xbmc using the playercorefactory?

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydrunk
Could you elaborate on the "aspect ratios control for my CIH setup and pixel shades to do color correction" Also what do you use to get your m2ts? That's the same file in an ISO, right? Except that you only get the main movie and nothing else. What size is a BLURAY m2ts usually, ballpark.

I have a 2.35:1 screen for cinemascope films and use an anamorphic lens, so I need the vertical stretch function in MPC-HC to make this work. The shaders are basically used to provide a color management system since my projector lacks all the needed controls to do it properly. If you search for it, there's a thread in this forum on how to set it up.

m2ts is the container used by Blu-Ray, not the same as an ISO which is an image file of the entire disc. I do just take the main movie as that's all I'm interested in. I use ClownBD to create these. The size depends on the film, they can be anywhere from 17-18 GB up to 30-35 GB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page