Advanced MPC-HC Setup Guide - Page 154 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 165Likes

post #4591 of 4633 Old 02-20-2019, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I wasn't getting good clarity playing 4K video on mpc, or in general. But when I changed the hz from 60 to 30 it got much clearer. What could be causing it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4592 of 4633 Old 02-21-2019, 03:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 414
like HDMI 1.4 and the screen isn't running in native resolution at 60 hz?
post #4593 of 4633 Old 02-23-2019, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn View Post
like HDMI 1.4 and the screen isn't running in native resolution at 60 hz?

Sorry I just saw this. I don't really know what's happening. I have an expensive 20' optical cable to run from the projector to the reciever, and a recently bought high speed hdmi cable from the reciever to the PC.

There's a lot that I have to figure out with this. There's settings for the nvidia control panel, Windows display settings, mpc player settings, and then madVR settings.

I just now figured out I had to change nvidia settings to get the HDR playing in mpc player.

Do you know if this is the correct settings for the nvidia control panel?

Here is the results I got on my jvc x790r. I noticed the color pops more now, and it appears to be playing in HDR. It wasn't before I changed the nvidia settings.

I would also like to have mpc player automatically set the correct fps. What is the correct way to type in the different fps? Do I put 4k, or 3840x2160?

Last edited by jeffreynmandy; 02-23-2019 at 12:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4594 of 4633 Old 02-24-2019, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 414
RGB output is recommended if your device can handle it.

it's 2160p23 as an example 3840s2160p23 would work too.
post #4595 of 4633 Old 03-03-2019, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks a lot for the guide, very concise and extremely helpful!

Edit: had a bunch of questions, but they all resolved themselves

Last edited by IndepTheater; 03-06-2019 at 07:53 AM.
post #4596 of 4633 Old 03-12-2019, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Cross post in here as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
Hey guys looking for some help with some mostly basic madvr setup.

I have an Intel i5 4570s w/8gb of ram and a GTX 1060 6gb.

I set things up with a guide that is posted here form the Kodi forum. I basically tried to go middle of the road with the settings but when I try to play a UHD remux I am getting dropped frames like crazy. Can anyone give me some sane settings for a 1060?

I am not doing tone mapping, just set HDR to passthrough, my hardware is Win 10 HTPC (listed above) with a Denon x1400 and a Sammy MU6290.

Basically I just want madvr to handle HDR turning on and off and hopefully achieve a bit better picture with lower resolutions that a stock player.

EDIT## This is only with a 2160p file (which I know is good). Other resolutions are working fine.
Wheres all my madvr pro's at? I always see the 1060 6gb recommended for medium usage, not best settings. But I am at a loss here trying to watch UHD.

1. Is there a setting that is particularity taxing that I should try to turn down so I am not getting so many dropped frames?
2. I have tried CUVID and DXVA Copy Back both with the same results.

During playback I looked and the cpu and gpu were loaded. So its working hard.
post #4597 of 4633 Old 03-12-2019, 11:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Cross post in here as well.

Wheres all my madvr pro's at? I always see the 1060 6gb recommended for medium usage, not best settings. But I am at a loss here trying to watch UHD.

1. Is there a setting that is particularity taxing that I should try to turn down so I am not getting so many dropped frames?
2. I have tried CUVID and DXVA Copy Back both with the same results.

During playback I looked and the cpu and gpu were loaded. So its working hard.
I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I've played around with it enough to makes some suggestions.
Go into the MadVR control panel and turn down or even turn off "image doubling" assuming that you have any of that checked in the first place.
Any upscaling chroma algorithms really eat up the GPU juice when dealing with 2160p.

Don't change a whole bunch of things at once, do one change at a time, so you know what the problem is, at least that works for me.
A lot of those things are not really needed anyway, since it's already 2160p and descent chroma in the source _ such as an UHD disc.

The other approach is to save your present settings in MadVR and only then, set it back to default and start again, changing things one at a time until the problem resurfaces.
This is very time consuming of course, but just another approach _ nuke and pave if you like.

Just in case you missed this, it explains things very well, it applies to any player that can use MadVR as an extension, not just Kodi.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=259188

Last edited by JeffR1; 03-12-2019 at 11:58 PM.
post #4598 of 4633 Old 03-13-2019, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I've played around with it enough to makes some suggestions.
Go into the MadVR control panel and turn down or even turn off "image doubling" assuming that you have any of that checked in the first place.
Any upscaling chroma algorithms really eat up the GPU juice when dealing with 2160p.

Don't change a whole bunch of things at once, do one change at a time, so you know what the problem is, at least that works for me.
A lot of those things are not really needed anyway, since it's already 2160p and descent chroma in the source _ such as an UHD disc.

The other approach is to save your present settings in MadVR and only then, set it back to default and start again, changing things one at a time until the problem resurfaces.
This is very time consuming of course, but just another approach _ nuke and pave if you like.

Just in case you missed this, it explains things very well, it applies to any player that can use MadVR as an extension, not just Kodi.

I had went into the madvr folder and did the reset settings thing. It said it worked but didn't seem like it did. I know what your saying once you start changing a bunch of stuff it's hard to know what's been messed with.

I think something is just messed up because I put everything on the basic setting and it still didn't help. Actually got worse.

That thread you linked was the one I walked through while I was setting it up.

So I see in the settings "profile groups" I think they're called. I assume I can set them up according to resolution? So that way I can have less processing on 2160p and more when it needs to upscale.

I need use RDP because sitting at the couch with a Logitech wireless keyboard is a pain lol. Thanks for the pointers.
post #4599 of 4633 Old 03-13-2019, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Pulling my hair out, not sure what the deal is, used revo uninstaller to uninstall everything. Still having the same issue. 1080p totally fine.
Any ideas anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen.png
Views:	53
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	2538440  
post #4600 of 4633 Old 03-13-2019, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quick question. Has anybody encountered the issue where MPC-HC fails to play on startup and instead shows "Paused [H/W]" at the bottom? I always used MPC-HC in the past but now that I upgraded to 4K-HDR I am needing to use MPC-BE instead due to this issue. I prefer MPC-HC since it runs cleaner and has the filters embedded.

EDIT : Sorry, I saw that I posted this in this thread before. I thought I only posted it somewhere else.
post #4601 of 4633 Old 03-13-2019, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post
Quick question. Has anybody encountered the issue where MPC-HC fails to play on startup and instead shows "Paused [H/W]" at the bottom? I always used MPC-HC in the past but now that I upgraded to 4K-HDR I am needing to use MPC-BE instead due to this issue. I prefer MPC-HC since it runs cleaner and has the filters embedded.

EDIT : Sorry, I saw that I posted this in this thread before. I thought I only posted it somewhere else.
I have seen that a couple times myslef. It also crashed a couple times trying to play a UHD file.
post #4602 of 4633 Old 03-13-2019, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Pulling my hair out, not sure what the deal is, used revo uninstaller to uninstall everything. Still having the same issue. 1080p totally fine.
Any ideas anyone?
You don't have to use Revo, in fact some of those programs can over do it and do more harm then good, most players have a setting somewhere to put things back to spec, I find that works better in the nuke and pave method rather then uninstalling everything.

What player are you using, I know I MPC-HC you have to update the LAV filters ?

You can try an older NVIDIA driver too, when installing that go to advanced and choose to do a clean install, that will reset that back to spec.
And just in case you haven't checked this, the refresh rate in the NVIDIA control has to match the disc's FPS, 23.976 or 23 Hz in the control panel.
If that doesn't work, try 24Hz.

Last edited by JeffR1; 03-13-2019 at 11:22 AM.
post #4603 of 4633 Old 03-13-2019, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You don't have to use Revo, in fact some of those programs can over do it and do more harm then good, most players have a setting somewhere to put things back to spec, I find that works better in the nuke and pave method rather then uninstalling everything.

What player are you using, I know I MPC-HC you have to update the LAV filters ?

You can try an older NVIDIA driver too, when installing that go to advanced and choose to do a clean install, that will reset that back to spec.
And just in case you haven't checked this, the refresh rate in the NVIDIA control has to match the disc's FPS, 23.976 or 23 Hz in the control panel.
I am using MPC-HC, I have not updated lav, I had originally installed the standalone lav filters, realizing then that MPC-HC had them included, and while I was changing the setings of the ones I had installed MPC was using the internal filter. So I nuked everything and started over.

An nvidia driver may be worth a shot, although it all works with 1080p so thats weird. I don't think its the refresh rate, as again it works with 1080p, madvr it auto changing the refresh rate.

You can see in the screen shot it says YV12 which I think is the input going into madvr, I believe it is supposed to say P010 (as someone said in another thread.) And I tried the same setup and my desktop and low and behold it says P010 there instead of YV12. So something strange is happening.
post #4604 of 4633 Old 03-13-2019, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am using MPC-HC, I have not updated lav, I had originally installed the standalone lav filters, realizing then that MPC-HC had them included, and while I was changing the setings of the ones I had installed MPC was using the internal filter. So I nuked everything and started over.

An nvidia driver may be worth a shot, although it all works with 1080p so thats weird. I don't think its the refresh rate, as again it works with 1080p, madvr it auto changing the refresh rate.

You can see in the screen shot it says YV12 which I think is the input going into madvr, I believe it is supposed to say P010 (as someone said in another thread.) And I tried the same setup and my desktop and low and behold it says P010 there instead of YV12. So something strange is happening.
I had to update my LAV filters or it really wouldn't work at all, when I tried to play an UHD disc, nothing happened, although that was decrypted on the fly with a live disc.
That was with the last stable build on MPC-HC's web site.
However if you have installed the most recent LAV filters, that's probably not it.
post #4605 of 4633 Old 03-13-2019, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I had to update my LAV filters or it really wouldn't work at all, when I tried to play an UHD disc, nothing happened, although that was decrypted on the fly with a live disc.
That was with the last stable build on MPC-HC's web site.
However if you have installed the most recent LAV filters, that's probably not it.
I uninstalled them to avoid a conflict and am using the included lav filter. I'll look into that
post #4606 of 4633 Old 03-13-2019, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just realized I had Shark's codec pack installed and it was causing some sort of conflict. I got in uninstalled, and I see in the OSD the proper format being shown, I am still dropping frames but its actually playing, so now I think I just need to do some tweaking.

Thanks for the help folks.
post #4607 of 4633 Old 03-19-2019, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 47
How do I get MPC HC/BE to play a 3D iso in SBS/TAB?

According to this thread: http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4163

1. Install Intel Media SDK DLLs
2. Get MPC-BE (preferably 64-bit).
3. Options -> Internal filters -> Video decoders -> check "H264 (MVC 3D)"
4. Options -> External filters -> Add filter -> "ffdshow raw video filter" -> Prefer

It works fine, but LAV Video disappears from the taskbar.
If I add LAV Video as external and enable it, then there is no TAB, plays normally.

Tried to play around with the preferred when both ffdshow raw and LAV Video are enabled, did not work.
Tried in the next option bar External filters>Priority to select LAV splitter/source, TAB does not play.
post #4608 of 4633 Old 03-23-2019, 02:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having a problem with 4k HDR using MadVR. In full screen it's all washed out, but non-full screen it looks perfect:

EDIT: Nevermind, fixed it. Turned off "use Direct3D 11 for presentation" in madVR settings.

-Jamie M.

Last edited by toysareforboys; 03-23-2019 at 03:52 AM.
post #4609 of 4633 Old 03-27-2019, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Red Tint

Hey, I recently installed MPC-BE and am using MadVR as well with it to play 4K MKVs. It works perfectly fine when I am playing UHD/HDR MKVs, but when I play 1080p Blu-Ray MKVs, there is a red hue/tinting on the screen. Actors look like they all have a sunburn. When I move the mouse down to the play/stop/fast forward area of the player, the red hue goes away, but when it goes back to full screen, the sunburn returns. Anyone have any idea what I might try to fix this? For now, if I want to play a standard blu-ray, Im having to go back to using VLC...
post #4610 of 4633 Old 04-03-2019, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 296
I'm hoping someone could help me configure subtitles in MPC-HC/BE (seem to have the same issue in both programs) with LAV filters and madVR. What I want is for MPC-BE to select turn on forced subtitles and ONLY forced subtitles by default. BUT, I still want the option to turn on full subtitles with the S key. I seem to have it working fine with movies that contain PGS subtitles. I'm guessing it's working because I have a feature in LAV splitter enabled under the blu-ray subtitle (PGS) section called 'enable automatic forced subtitle stream.' The problem is with movies with SRT or ASS subtitles. MPC-BE turns the subtitles on by default, even if they are not forced. If I enable 'forced only' within MPC-BE, I seem to lose subtitles altogether (even forced subs). How do I get this working correctly?

Last edited by lockdown571; 04-03-2019 at 04:50 PM.
post #4611 of 4633 Old 04-03-2019, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post
I'm hoping someone could help me configure subtitles in MPC-HC/BE (seem to have the same issue in both programs) with LAV filters and madVR. What I want is for MPC-BE to select turn on forced subtitles and ONLY forced subtitles by default. BUT, I still want the option to turn on full subtitles with the S key. I seem to have it working fine with movies that contain PGS subtitles. I'm guessing it's working because I have a feature in LAV splitter enabled under the blu-ray subtitle (PGS) section called 'enable automatic forced subtitle stream.' The problem is with movies with SRT or ASS subtitles. MPC-BE turns the subtitles on by default, even if they are not forced. If I enable 'forced only' within MPC-BE, I seem to lose subtitles altogether (even forced subs). How do I get this working correctly?
Are you remuxing or just playing the m2ts or mpls?

My method has always been to remux using mkvtoolnix and then manually selecting the subs I want as default (have to manually set the default flag). I also add a blank PGS file to all my remuxes so that track is the default unless it has forced subs. In that case I manually extract the forced subs into an individual PGS track, set that as the default, and also include the full subs if I want to see the others.
post #4612 of 4633 Old 04-03-2019, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
Are you remuxing or just playing the m2ts or mpls?

My method has always been to remux using mkvtoolnix and then manually selecting the subs I want as default (have to manually set the default flag). I also add a blank PGS file to all my remuxes so that track is the default unless it has forced subs. In that case I manually extract the forced subs into an individual PGS track, set that as the default, and also include the full subs if I want to see the others.
Remuxed MKVs. All forced subtitles are marked with the 'forced' flag using MKVtoolnix. My use of the 'default' flag is not consistent. Sometimes the default flag is assigned to the full subs and other times to the forced subs (and occasionally, no default flag is assigned to any of the subs).
post #4613 of 4633 Old 04-03-2019, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post
Remuxed MKVs. All forced subtitles are marked with the 'forced' flag using MKVtoolnix. My use of the 'default' flag is not consistent. Sometimes the default flag is assigned to the full subs and other times to the forced subs (and occasionally, no default flag is assigned to any of the subs).
I stopped using the "forced" flag since so many players refuse to honor it. Seems that the "default" flag works better but some players also don't honor that one as well.
post #4614 of 4633 Old 04-04-2019, 03:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
I stopped using the "forced" flag since so many players refuse to honor it. Seems that the "default" flag works better but some players also don't honor that one as well.
Gotcha. Maybe I'll do your blank default subtitle track trick for the few titles I have with SRT/ASS subtitles. Thanks!
post #4615 of 4633 Old 04-07-2019, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Messing around some more it seems like part of what's happening, is that when ASS subtitles are present in a file, the subtitle rules defined in the LAV splitter config don't seem to be respected at all. I double checked and the ASS input format is indeed checked in LAV splitter, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Edit: And if I have the "enable automatic forced subtitle stream" option turned off, then for files with PGS subtitles, the rules defined in LAV splitter again are ignored. So basically the LAV splitter rules are being completely ignored. I tried entering "eng:eng|f;engff;*:eng|f" into the subtitles section under advanced, but this isn't doing anything. MPC-HC is just turning the first subtitle track in the video on by default, regardless of language or flags.

Edit 2: In MPC-HC, LAV splitter settings are respected. So it must be a problem with how I have MPC-BE configured.

Edit 3: I FINALLY figured out what was causing all these issues. In MPC-BE options under 'playback', I had 'Default track preference' checked. Even though the boxes were left empty, it made MPC-BE ignore the LAV splitter settings. So make sure that box is UNCHECKED if you're using LAV splitter.

Last edited by lockdown571; 04-07-2019 at 12:27 PM.
post #4616 of 4633 Old 04-08-2019, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn View Post

So I decided to upgrade to the 2070 before my 970 died on me. Happy with the gaming performance so far. Are there any things I should change in madvr that woukld be of any quality benefit?

My settings from 970: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-ho...l#post56721492

Sony X720E
Yamaha RX-V379 5.1 - Klipsch RF3 & RC3 - Boston VR500W Sub - CR4 for rears
Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX2070 - 4790K i7 - 2x8GB Gskill Ripjaws X
970EVO 512GB NvMe
EVGA Supernova G2 750 80+Gold
post #4617 of 4633 Old 04-14-2019, 10:36 PM

Is it possible to show time of playback in the titlebar or in the taskbar?
I cannot find an option in MPC HC/BE.
post #4618 of 4633 Old 04-15-2019, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 327
In the guide in my sig. OSD: Remaining Time. I mapped it to my remote for the 'info' key.

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1903 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D / Denon S720W
post #4619 of 4633 Old 04-15-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
In the guide in my sig. OSD: Remaining Time. I mapped it to my remote for the 'info' key.
Are you refering to the OSD: Remaining Time mapped by default to Ctrl+I?

I'm interested if it can show time in the taskbar:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	2553220  
post #4620 of 4633 Old 04-15-2019, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Using MPC-HC/BE, OSD: Remaining Time is a key in the player settings you can map to whatever you want. I chose 'I'. When I press 'I' on my keyboard or my remote, it displays the length of the title and how much has played. It's displayed in the player taskbar that pops up when selected and goes away when selected again. You can toggle the current local time up there also but it's 24hr and not 12hr. File name too.

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1903 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D / Denon S720W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page