HDHomerun Prime Owners Thread - Page 101 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 133Likes

post #3001 of 3024 Old 09-10-2019, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 345
I know a dude who had a Prime for sale recently..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3002 of 3024 Old 09-10-2019, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
I know a dude who had a Prime for sale recently..

Ha I know rub it in! My play money was already spent for that pay period.
Sammy2 likes this.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #3003 of 3024 Old 09-11-2019, 04:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
Missing in WMC is to be expected because Rovi guide is notoriously slow to update and WMC only allow cable card channels to show up if they are in the guide.

However, missing in channel scan in SD app means the channels are either not available yet, or your account has no authorization for them, or you need a TA to access them. You need to call up your cable provider to determine what is the cause. It also could be the signal level issue for those specific channels (especially if they are at the top end of the spectrum).
sending messages back and forth with a comcast expert on their message board reveals that these 3 new channels in question are in fact "IP channels" does that change the equation at all then it comes to cable cards?

Last edited by billmich; 09-11-2019 at 04:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3004 of 3024 Old 09-11-2019, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2292 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post
sending messages back and forth with a comcast expert on their message board reveals that these 3 new channels in question are in fact "IP channels" does that change the equation at all then it comes to cable cards?
HDHomeRun tuners can't receive IP channels.
post #3005 of 3024 Old 09-11-2019, 05:50 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 494
IP channels require cable co box to receive it. It is not part of normal linear cable channels that a CableCard device can receive. If this trend continues, you can kiss your CableCard tuner good bye.
post #3006 of 3024 Old 09-11-2019, 05:53 AM

It means you'll need to use their app to watch the channels. Spectrum have several original programming series that are only available through on demand or their app.

Since they're so lame in providing an Android TV app I resolved myself to ascertain them why alternate means for my viewing pleasure in Emby.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Sammy2; 09-11-2019 at 06:27 AM.
post #3007 of 3024 Old 09-11-2019, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
IP channels require cable co box to receive it. It is not part of normal linear cable channels that a CableCard device can receive. If this trend continues, you can kiss your CableCard tuner good bye.
maybe i am misremebering, but I thought cable boxes all had "cable cards" built inside of them

maybe thats before X1
post #3008 of 3024 Old 09-11-2019, 06:36 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 494
They do. But IP channels are more like Netflix streaming. So they need special software in the cable box to receive IP channels, no cablecard involved. The video is streamed down via IP or internet data stream from their headend instead of via QAM modulated broadcasting probably because they run out of those fixed channels.

Older cable box won't be able to receive these IP channels either.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #3009 of 3024 Old 09-11-2019, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They do. But IP channels are more like Netflix streaming. So they need special software in the cable box to receive IP channels, no cablecard involved. The video is streamed down via IP or internet data stream from their headend instead of via QAM modulated broadcasting probably because they run out of those fixed channels.

Older cable box won't be able to receive these IP channels either.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I'll need to find someone with an older box and see if that channel comes in or not.

Thank for the info
post #3010 of 3024 Old 09-11-2019, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post
I'll need to find someone with an older box and see if that channel comes in or not.
What good will that do? The only thing you will learn is if that other person can watch IPTV channels or not. It won't make those channels available to you either way.

Comcast is starting to roll out IP only TV service next month. I hope Silicondust gets DRM recording done on their DVR system before they realize a very large portion of their CableCARD customer base is about to disappear. I think they already know and that's why they've been stringing everyone along. I'll be very happy if they prove me wrong and actually make it available to customers in the next three months, but I'm not holding my breath.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32...All-IP-service
ClearToLand and Sammy2 like this.
post #3011 of 3024 Old 09-11-2019, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
What good will that do? The only thing you will learn is if that other person can watch IPTV channels or not.

yes, that would answer that question.

Thank you
post #3012 of 3024 Old 09-11-2019, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What good will that do? The only thing you will learn is if that other person can watch IPTV channels or not. It won't make those channels available to you either way.

Comcast is starting to roll out IP only TV service next month. I hope Silicondust gets DRM recording done on their DVR system before they realize a very large portion of their CableCARD customer base is about to disappear. I think they already know and that's why they've been stringing everyone along. I'll be very happy if they prove me wrong and actually make it available to customers in the next three months, but I'm not holding my breath.

They still don't have drm recording? Wow wasn't that the main feature advertised with the kickstarter way back when. I wonder what the real hold up is, there has to be a good reason
that they have stalled on CC device production. The market may just be thinning. But with the influx of plex and emby users the old Primes doubled in price from 6 months or so ago. Mine sat on ebay when I sold it for $70. Seems like people are buying them.

But it does suck if your provider changes to something else your out of luck since theres usually only one cable provider in an area.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #3013 of 3024 Old 09-11-2019, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

here is an answer I received from a "comcast expert" on their xfinity forum (private message exchange)

Only select networks are IP only. Here is the list:

FOX Sports 2
FOX Deportes HD
Hallmark Drama SD and HD
i24NEWS HD
Newsmax TV HD
Pac-12 National HD
Pac-12 Regional HD
QVC2 HD and SD
QVC3 HD and SD
SEC Overflow HD
Z Living HD
IP channels are only available on X1 boxes-- they are not typically picked up from cable card devices.

Data usage for streaming on X1 equipment is noted by an "internet" or "globe" indicator on the content. I have never seen this on a channel we provide since it is technically a cable channel.
post #3014 of 3024 Old 09-11-2019, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
They still don't have drm recording? Wow wasn't that the main feature advertised with the kickstarter way back when. I wonder what the real hold up is, there has to be a good reason
that they have stalled on CC device production. The market may just be thinning. But with the influx of plex and emby users the old Primes doubled in price from 6 months or so ago. Mine sat on ebay when I sold it for $70. Seems like people are buying them.

But it does suck if your provider changes to something else your out of luck since theres usually only one cable provider in an area.
DRM recording capability was never advertised as being part of the kickstarter campaign, but many people, myself included, bought into it assuming that it was one of the primary goals. I paid for five years of guide data and I have never been able to convince myself it's better than using WMC. To me it has always seemed like a work in progress that just doesn't work for me. I've set it up on several different HTPCs but just never warmed up to it. If I tried recording just new shows of anything that was syndicated I'd end up with dozens of recordings of reruns on every channel the show would air on. I never knew what the heck I was going to get when I set up a series recording. The UI is a complete mess and not at all intuitive. I prefer a grid guide that I can browse for upcoming shows and not actually have to know what I'm looking for ahead of time. This has always been my major complaint about the SD DVR app. They're just too cheap to pay Rovi for the rights to use a grid guide format, which is something that shouldn't even be a copyright issue.

If I try an app that should be relatively straightforward and it ends up with me scratching my head I usually tend to walk away from it (think Windows 8). A DVR program should allow you to select the program or series you want to record and then allow you to configure the recording with specific options. When you go to select a recording to watch I shouldn't have to wade through dozens of unnecessary recordings just to find the one I intended to record. I have no doubt that I'm not using the app correctly, but I should be able to use it right off with a minimal learning curve.

Last edited by captain_video; 09-11-2019 at 06:06 PM.
post #3015 of 3024 Old 09-11-2019, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
DRM recording capability was never advertised as being part of the kickstarter campaign, but many people, myself included, bought into it assuming that it was one of the primary goals.
From: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...vr-re-imagined

"Our concept is that Live and recorded content can be watched from media devices with our brand new and innovative interface. And yes, it even works with protected content."

I bought into that too.
ClearToLand likes this.
post #3016 of 3024 Old 09-12-2019, 05:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
From: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...vr-re-imagined

"Our concept is that Live and recorded content can be watched from media devices with our brand new and innovative interface. And yes, it even works with protected content."

I bought into that too.
I'm not sure if the original Kickstart description included the part about protected content, but it's been quite some time before I drank the Kool-Aid so I can't recall. I just remember that I had assumed that the DVR would work with DRM content since the Prime could be used with it. I haven't tried using it in quite some time but I believe you can at least view protected content with the Live TV part of it now. The lack of a grid guide is a major hurdle that kept me from adopting it for daily use. I could never sell the wife on something with a UI like this. She has an extreme resistance to change when it comes to technology. She is used to using WMC so I see no point in trying to fix something that isn't broken. The only reason I ever considered using the SD DVR app was because of the possibility that Microsoft would someday cut the cord on our guide data. When I discovered epg123 I stopped using the crappy Rovi data that Microsoft was sending us and switched to Tribune Media via Schedules Direct and never looked back.
billmich likes this.
post #3017 of 3024 Old 09-12-2019, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
I'm not sure if the original Kickstart description included the part about protected content, but it's been quite some time before I drank the Kool-Aid so I can't recall. I just remember that I had assumed that the DVR would work with DRM content since the Prime could be used with it. I haven't tried using it in quite some time but I believe you can at least view protected content with the Live TV part of it now. The lack of a grid guide is a major hurdle that kept me from adopting it for daily use. I could never sell the wife on something with a UI like this. She has an extreme resistance to change when it comes to technology. She is used to using WMC so I see no point in trying to fix something that isn't broken. The only reason I ever considered using the SD DVR app was because of the possibility that Microsoft would someday cut the cord on our guide data. When I discovered epg123 I stopped using the crappy Rovi data that Microsoft was sending us and switched to Tribune Media via Schedules Direct and never looked back.

Yeah I use the hdhr app on my shield a little. I'm moving away from it more now to Emby since that's what handles my recordings.

The only thing it's good for is to flip quickly to a channel for live TV.
beerhunt and Sammy2 like this.

post #3018 of 3024 Old 09-12-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
Yeah I use the hdhr app on my shield a little. I'm moving away from it more now to Emby since that's what handles my recordings.

The only thing it's good for is to flip quickly to a channel for live TV.
Hopefully Emby's got something up their sleeves in this regard.

post #3019 of 3024 Old 09-12-2019, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hopefully Emby's got something up their sleeves in this regard.
Have you heard something about that? I turned off resolution switching as it was making things really lag with the black screen pause. I am getting used to the lag,
since the advent of the guide channel surfing isn't really a thing anyways so I guess its no big deal.
Sammy2 likes this.

post #3020 of 3024 Old 09-12-2019, 11:40 AM

On AndroidTV when watching live press the up button and it'll show all adjacent channels then left or right to surf while watching. It gives you the show name but not the synopsis.

post #3021 of 3024 Old 09-12-2019, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
On AndroidTV when watching live press the up button and it'll show all adjacent channels then left or right to surf while watching. It gives you the show name but not the synopsis.

Yeah its pretty cool, I like how it shows the posters for shows as well.

post #3022 of 3024 Old 09-22-2019, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1595 Post(s)
Liked: 665
I've got some pretty serious glitching/reliability problems going on right now with my viewing, and since it's all a bit of a complicated-chain-of-events, I'm trying to figure out/isolate if part of the problem is one of my HDHomeRun Prime's that I use... anybody here have any thoughts/suggestions if my Netgear (R7000) router indicates that one of my HDHomeRun Prime's is an: "“HDHomeRun PRIME HDHR-13254xyz" (where 13254xyz is the number I see when I go to my.hdhomerun.com).

But my other HDHomeRun Prime is displayed on my Netgear's attached devices instead as: "Silicondust DEV-32:19:F4"

When I check the system status it says they're both running the most recent firmware (20190621)...

I've got the HDHR DVR installed on my QNAP, and I'm accessing it via several NVidia Shields and a couple Win10 PCs, and I've got all sorts of (fairly recent; last couple months) glitches and unrelabilities. Problems while scrolling the slice. Problems with losing connections. Catastrophic failures (all tuners drop). Even the start-up script (bottom left corner in white text when I open the app) isn't as it was back when this app was pretty rock-solid reliable... and I'm just trying to nail down whether or not one of the HDHR Prime's (DEV-32:19:F4) is at least part of the problem...

Living Room: Sony x940E; Denon x4400h; Ascend Sierra RAAL Tower L/R's and 2EX center, Ascend HTM-200SE Rears, Rythmik F25 sub. NVidia Shield, ATV4k, OPPO UDP-203, CCA.
Basement: Samsung PN58B650 LN-T4065F (x2); Onkyo TX-NR809; Polk Monitor 70 Series II L/R's, SVS PB-1000 sub. NVidia Shield (x2), Windows Desktop, CCA.
post #3023 of 3024 Old 09-22-2019, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
I've got some pretty serious glitching/reliability problems going on right now with my viewing, and since it's all a bit of a complicated-chain-of-events, I'm trying to figure out/isolate if part of the problem is one of my HDHomeRun Prime's that I use... anybody here have any thoughts/suggestions if my Netgear (R7000) router indicates that one of my HDHomeRun Prime's is an: "“HDHomeRun PRIME HDHR-13254xyz" (where 13254xyz is the number I see when I go to my.hdhomerun.com).

But my other HDHomeRun Prime is displayed on my Netgear's attached devices instead as: "Silicondust DEV-32:19:F4"

When I check the system status it says they're both running the most recent firmware (20190621)...

I've got the HDHR DVR installed on my QNAP, and I'm accessing it via several NVidia Shields and a couple Win10 PCs, and I've got all sorts of (fairly recent; last couple months) glitches and unrelabilities. Problems while scrolling the slice. Problems with losing connections. Catastrophic failures (all tuners drop). Even the start-up script (bottom left corner in white text when I open the app) isn't as it was back when this app was pretty rock-solid reliable... and I'm just trying to nail down whether or not one of the HDHR Prime's (DEV-32:19:F4) is at least part of the problem...
Sounds like the only way to find out is to start isolating things. Take out one Prime and see f the problem persists. If it doesn't there you go.

Or you could start with software and turn to something else for a time and see if the problem persists. But you have to start ruling things out. I commented on your other post but you can turn to something like Emby for $5 to find out if solves your problem.

FWIW I also run two primes and the router sees them both like your first one.

post #3024 of 3024 Old 09-23-2019, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post

I would run the dropped packet test from the command line on each of the Hdhomerun primes. Then swap them to see if the glitches or dropped packets travel with the device or not.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
hdhomerun bluray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page