HDHomerun Prime Owners Thread - Page 95 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 104Likes

post #2821 of 2935 Old 12-04-2018, 03:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
Thanks for the input.

Can you record and playback all the HDHomeRun Premium TV channels if you have the HDHR DVR program?

Can you play any 'live stream' outside your home? For example, let's say I am visiting my family for the holidays and they don't have ESPN, could I watch ESPN somehow from a TV in their house, or on my phone?
With Emby DVR and a Premiere Subscription, yes. It works now in Version 3.5.3 but the beta leading up to the Version 3.6 release works very well indeed with a lot of new / improved features, especially in the DVR, which is the focus of development right now.
kmhvball likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2822 of 2935 Old 12-04-2018, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
With Emby DVR and a Premiere Subscription, yes. It works now in Version 3.5.3 but the beta leading up to the Version 3.6 release works very well indeed with a lot of new / improved features, especially in the DVR, which is the focus of development right now.
If you've already recorded something that you'd like to watch remotely, you can also use Windows iis server that's already on your computer. It's free...

Setup isn't overly complicated with online tutorials.
post #2823 of 2935 Old 12-04-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobr8ks View Post
If you've already recorded something that you'd like to watch remotely, you can also use Windows iis server that's already on your computer. It's free...

Setup isn't overly complicated with online tutorials.
Recorded with the HDHR DVR?

How do you set this up? Will it work on Roku or ShieldTV or FireTV?

Last edited by Sammy2; 12-04-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2824 of 2935 Old 12-04-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Recorded with the HDHR DVR?

How do you set this up? Will it work on Roku or ShieldTV or FireTV?
Whats the file extension of HDHR DVR?

Google "WebDAV iis setup" It's not without some effort and patience. You may decide it's not worth the time and maintenance... Before cloud storage was a thing it's what I used daily (Retired now).

I've never worked with those specific products but ShieldTV supports VLC, so that's a yes.

WebDAV is an HTTP extension, should work on pretty much anything. Just add the file extension to virtual directory.

An alternative would be ffmpeg server. Works with both Linux & Windows where as iis uses .net.

Last edited by Nobr8ks; 12-04-2018 at 09:51 AM.
post #2825 of 2935 Old 12-04-2018, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2214 Post(s)
Liked: 2420
Quote:
Whats the file extension of HDHR DVR?
It's a transport stream with a .mpg extension.
post #2826 of 2935 Old 12-04-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
It's a transport stream with a .mpg extension.
They're using the newer DigiCipher 2 (DCII), so that would be no.

To do so would in violation of rules.

Good read
https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/at...A-15-982A4.pdf

Last edited by Nobr8ks; 12-04-2018 at 10:44 AM.
post #2827 of 2935 Old 12-04-2018, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They're using the newer DigiCipher 2 (DCII), so that would be no.

To do so would in violation of rules.
It is what it is. MediaInfo report attached.
Attached Files
File Type: txt HDHomeRun.txt (4.0 KB, 18 views)
post #2828 of 2935 Old 12-04-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
It is what it is. MediaInfo report attached.
Got a little nostalgic
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-ho...ny-device.html

What's everyone using today?
post #2829 of 2935 Old 12-04-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Got a little nostalgic
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-ho...ny-device.html

What's everyone using today?
Definitely not a Tuning Adapter and Prime any longer but it hasn't been too long. I stuck with the Prime for 6 years and had several ceton echos going (sold the primes but still have the echos but they're next). I eventually had two primes going and the TA was still a glitchy thing needing a power cycle about every 4 to 6 weeks..

The system served well but I've moved on and am saving money again. Keeping 7 echos up and connected to the network became too tedious so I am now using a bunch of ShieldTV's. The thing is it is 6 years on and only just now Emby is getting close to what WMC is in the DVR department but MediaBrowser (MB) was always the clear win for local media playback with MPC-HC which I no longer use any longer either.

post #2830 of 2935 Old 12-04-2018, 05:48 PM

I like just seeing channels I program.
post #2831 of 2935 Old 12-23-2018, 07:36 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
With limitations..

No extenders other than xBox360.
No viewing outside the home or on the go.

Other than that, it's pretty good.
I'm still running this setup on one of my PCs. Windows 8.1 with Media Center and a 3 tuner Prime. If you sub to cable with any premiums nothing outside of a TiVo with a lifetime sub (which I also have) beats WMC.

I figured instead of getting 2 separate 3 tuner HDHRPs get 1 3 tuner and get a TiVo. I got the Roamio back when the Bolt was about to be announced and they had a fire sale on used Roamios. Got it with a lifetime sub for $299 for everything. Pulled whatever small hard drive was in it and put in a 6TB. Just this year I bought a TiVo Stream and a couple years ago I got a Mini for another room.

I still like the WMC setup better but the TiVo isn't that bad. I figured that in a few years when extended support for these legacy Windows versions are gone if TiVo still exist I can just fully transition to that.
post #2832 of 2935 Old 12-23-2018, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Does this solution allow for me to feed by satellite tv box into my HTPC?

If not, is there a device or solution that would allow this? I want to sharpen my TV image using madvr in my HTPC, but still want to retain the ability to change channels, etc. in the same guide etc that I use now from my subscriber network (Bell Fibe in Canada).
post #2833 of 2935 Old 12-26-2018, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3809 Post(s)
Liked: 3503
Is the WD - My Cloud Home 2TB Personal Cloud a suitable drive to be used as the record engine and storage device for the SD DVR software?
post #2834 of 2935 Old 12-26-2018, 06:48 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittler27 View Post
Does this solution allow for me to feed by satellite tv box into my HTPC?

If not, is there a device or solution that would allow this? I want to sharpen my TV image using madvr in my HTPC, but still want to retain the ability to change channels, etc. in the same guide etc that I use now from my subscriber network (Bell Fibe in Canada).
I really doubt that satellite TV is compatible with a CableCard. I know AT&T Uverse wasn't.
post #2835 of 2935 Old 12-26-2018, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Is the WD - My Cloud Home 2TB Personal Cloud a suitable drive to be used as the record engine and storage device for the SD DVR software?
The record engine isn't compatible with the "Home" models.
post #2836 of 2935 Old 12-26-2018, 10:54 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
The record engine isn't compatible with the "Home" models.
So it would have to be one like this where I would need to add a drive or two?

I really only want a simple and cheap device with 1TB of storage. I tried to find a list of compatible devices at SD but only came up with the below linked page.

https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/...?f=126&t=65379

And it only shows WD devices, surely something else will work as well? I'd like to stay away from the more dedicated devices like the Synology and the QNAP machines.
post #2837 of 2935 Old 12-27-2018, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So it would have to be one like this where I would need to add a drive or two?

I really only want a simple and cheap device with 1TB of storage. I tried to find a list of compatible devices at SD but only came up with the below linked page.

https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/...?f=126&t=65379

And it only shows WD devices, surely something else will work as well? I'd like to stay away from the more dedicated devices like the Synology and the QNAP machines.

That EX2 Ultra should work. I use a cheap 2TB single bay My Cloud (non home model) and it works great. They don't make them anymore and the refurbs always seem to be out of stock but you can be notified if they become available: https://www.wd.com/products/wd-recer.../my-cloud.html

SD doesn't have a list of compatible models but they do list the requirements in the NAS Setup - Manual Install instructions.

NAS Requirements:
* x86 or ARM based CPU.
* 256MB RAM minimum.
* Must be running Linux.
* Must support SSH access.

The My Cloud Home models won't work because they don't run Linux.
post #2838 of 2935 Old 12-27-2018, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
That EX2 Ultra should work. I use a cheap 2TB single bay My Cloud (non home model) and it works great. They don't make them anymore and the refurbs always seem to be out of stock but you can be notified if they become available: https://www.wd.com/products/wd-recer.../my-cloud.html

SD doesn't have a list of compatible models but they do list the requirements in the NAS Setup - Manual Install instructions.

NAS Requirements:
* x86 or ARM based CPU.
* 256MB RAM minimum.
* Must be running Linux.
* Must support SSH access.

The My Cloud Home models won't work because they don't run Linux.
Those older model My Clouds are just what I was looking for, cheap and easy. I signed up to be notified but it's too bad there's not another cheap and easy solution available. As far as I can tell, a minimum of $200-$250 will be needed to get something comparable to the early My Cloud models. At that cost I'm wondering if a mini-PC with an attached HDD would work just as well.

I suppose I really should solve my core problem which is that when transferring large files(think UHD rips) I often get stuttering while watching TV. The record engine and storage in on the same PC(different drive though) where I store all my video files. It's a Win 7/32 bit PC which I suspect is the problem, there's only 4GB RAM available.

Last edited by Keenan; 12-27-2018 at 11:16 AM.
post #2839 of 2935 Old 12-27-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Those older model My Clouds are just what I was looking for, cheap and easy. I signed up to be notified but it's too bad there's not another cheap and easy solution available. As far as I can tell, a minimum of $200-$250 will be needed to get something comparable to the early My Cloud models. At that cost I'm wondering if a mini-PC with an attached HDD would work just as well.

I suppose I really should solve my core problem which is that when transferring large files(think UHD rips) I often get stuttering while watching TV. The record engine and storage in on the same PC(different drive though) where I store all my video files. It's a Win 7/32 bit PC which I suspect is the problem, there's only 4GB RAM available.

How about a router with USB attached hdd?

Alternatively, If you've got an old windows box laying around make a webdav server from windows add-ons (subnet of 255.255.252.0 = 2 host), then use webdav app for your smartphone. Now its your own cloud. You could do a raspberry pi webdav server too.

FuguHub for Raspberry Pi (EasyNAS)
https://fuguhub.com/RaspberryPi.lsp

Last edited by Nobr8ks; 12-27-2018 at 06:56 PM.
post #2840 of 2935 Old 12-28-2018, 04:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How about a router with USB attached hdd?

Alternatively, If you've got an old windows box laying around make a webdav server from windows add-ons (subnet of 255.255.252.0 = 2 host), then use webdav app for your smartphone. Now its your own cloud. You could do a raspberry pi webdav server too.

FuguHub for Raspberry Pi (EasyNAS)
https://fuguhub.com/RaspberryPi.lsp
The right router might work for casual NAS duty but I wouldn't recommend running the record engine on it. Let a router be a router.

IMHO the best thing you can do with an old Windows box you have laying around is wipe it and put Linux on it. I recommend that for new Windows boxes as well.

I love Raspberry Pis (I have 6 of them). Unfortunately the RPi isn't able to handle the data throughput. It chokes when you try running more than two or three streams at once. If you only run one client at a time and you only have one 2-tuner model HDHomeRun you might get away with it. If you really want to build a NAS using a SBC the ODROID XU4 would probably be your best bet.
post #2841 of 2935 Old 12-28-2018, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

I just discovered I can use a Nvidia Shield as the record engine with an attached drive for storage. I set that up last night and plan to see how well it works over the next few days.

I eventually will reload that Win7 box with Linux and just do it right, but for now, I'm going to try the Nvidia method.
post #2842 of 2935 Old 12-28-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I just discovered I can use a Nvidia Shield as the record engine with an attached drive for storage. I set that up last night and plan to see how well it works over the next few days.

I eventually will reload that Win7 box with Linux and just do it right, but for now, I'm going to try the Nvidia method.

Sweet!

Their's no wrong way.
post #2843 of 2935 Old 01-10-2019, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Do you still need to use WMC with these? I sold mine a couple months ago (sat for 3 years) and now am considering cable. I use a Shield and don't really want to go back to windows.

I know that 3 plus years ago when I had it running with Spectrum I think all the channels were copy freely. But its been a while, I can't remember but if that is the case can I use something like Plex or emby instead?
post #2844 of 2935 Old 01-10-2019, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked: 1341
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
Do you still need to use WMC with these?
Depends. You can watch live and record copy-freely with the SD app directly on Shield (need a NAS or external drive for storage of course). Still can't record protected content like you can in WMC. Non-issue for me since the only protected stuff I'd ever want is available on-demand (HBO GO, etc.). Spectrum is still mostly copy-freely, but if you're a sports fan, you might have problems, as some of those channels are protected.

Also needs to be one of the more recent models. I had a HD HomeRun Dual that wouldn't work.

Besides copy protection issues, biggest drawback is the SD DVR app really, really, really sucks. Guide is terrible, and control is confusing and not very feature rich (at least it is to me). There are a few other paid apps that work much better, like "Channels".
post #2845 of 2935 Old 01-10-2019, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Depends. You can watch live and record copy-freely with the SD app directly on Shield (need a NAS or external drive for storage of course). Still can't record protected content like you can in WMC. Non-issue for me since the only protected stuff I'd ever want is available on-demand (HBO GO, etc.). Spectrum is still mostly copy-freely, but if you're a sports fan, you might have problems, as some of those channels are protected.

Also needs to be one of the more recent models. I had a HD HomeRun Dual that wouldn't work.

Besides copy protection issues, biggest drawback is the SD DVR app really, really, really sucks. Guide is terrible, and control is confusing and not very feature rich (at least it is to me). There are a few other paid apps that work much better, like "Channels".
Thanks, is channels a paid app? So basically anything works with a prime just like OTA as long as the channels are copy free? It's been a long time.
post #2846 of 2935 Old 01-10-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
Thanks, is channels a paid app? So basically anything works with a prime just like OTA as long as the channels are copy free? It's been a long time.
App is actually free, but you have to pay monthly DVR service. Silicon Dust's DVR app is also free but service is $35/year, but isn't great. Nvidia also has a DVR app I think, but I know very little about it.

The answer to your other questions is yes.
https://getchannels.com/faq/#which-h...-are-supported

I had a few Primes when they first came out about 8 years ago, but haven't used one since. So I'm even more out of the loop than you. I only researched this Android TV DVR stuff recently and ultimately settled on Amazon Recast. But it's OTA only and runs on Fire TV, so wouldn't work for you. But the app is a lot better than the SD DVR app.

Last edited by mdavej; 01-10-2019 at 03:28 PM.
post #2847 of 2935 Old 01-10-2019, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
App is actually free, but you have to pay monthly DVR service. Silicon Dust's DVR app is totally free to buy and use, but isn't great. Nvidia also has a DVR app I think, but I know very little about it.

The answer to your other questions is yes.
https://getchannels.com/faq/#which-h...-are-supported

I had a few Primes when they first came out about 8 years ago, but haven't used one since. So I'm even more out of the loop than you. I only researched this Android TV DVR stuff recently and ultimately settled on Amazon Recast. But it's OTA only and runs on Fire TV, so wouldn't work for you. But the app is a lot better than the SD DVR app.
Thanks man, yeah I started this thread when they were released, but moved where there was no cable 3 1/2 years ago and have not thought about it.
post #2848 of 2935 Old 01-10-2019, 03:27 PM

Oops. I forgot I was in the SD DVR Kickstarter and got the DVR service for free. It actually costs $35/year.
post #2849 of 2935 Old 01-10-2019, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Channels is more expensive at $80 per year but it's far more polished and has a grid guide as well. The HDHomeRun TV app looks like what it is, an app that hardware guys(Silicon Dust) developed for their hardware whereas Channels looks like something software/UI guys have put together. And if I'm not mistaken, several of the Channels app developers used to work at SD before they left to do their own thing. I'm an SD Kickstarter supporter but I haven't used the HDHomeRun app in years as the Channels app is so much better.
post #2850 of 2935 Old 01-10-2019, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Channels is more expensive at $80 per year but it's far more polished and has a grid guide as well. The HDHomeRun TV app looks like what it is, an app that hardware guys(Silicon Dust) developed for their hardware whereas Channels looks like something software/UI guys have put together. And if I'm not mistaken, several of the Channels app developers used to work at SD before they left to do their own thing. I'm an SD Kickstarter supporter but I haven't used the HDHomeRun app in years as the Channels app is so much better.
Their website says the Channels DVR is $8/month, which would be $96/yr. And, the app doesn't appear to be free, either. Apple TV, Android TV, and FireTV versions cost $24.99 and it's $14.99 for iPhone/iPad.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't look like there's a version of the Channels app for Windows. The Channels DVR Server can run on Windows, but I don't think that includes the UI with a grid EPG, etc.

Gregg Plummer
Amplizone - a blog about the development of Amplio Audio's soundcard/amps
The Short History of Audio/Video Technology
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
hdhomerun bluray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page