AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Home Theater Computers (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/)
-   -   Media Center Studio Workaround (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/1366982-media-center-studio-workaround.html)

assassin 10-15-2011 07:03 PM

Media Center Studio is an excellent application that allows you to completely customize the look of your WMC interface including adding and removing buttons and options.

This is just one example of a before and after picture from my blog of what MCS can do to the appearance (edit: apparently must be a blog member to see the pictures):

Before:

After:

The developer for MCS has abandoned the software but thanks to Josh3693, JoshFink and myself we have figured out a way to revitalize this valuable piece of software.

First you will need this file located at my blog (www.assassinhtpcblog.com)

Zipped Directory

Also if you want a txt file of these instructions I have made them available here.

Next, unzip the file

Make sure you have "show hidden folders" enabled under the folders option in your Start -> Control Panel menu.

Now move the unzipped directory to C:\\users\\*your_user_name*\\Appdata\\local\\Apps\\2.0\\mcst ..tion_e7ba95bf63da1a4e_0000.0000_8295f17bcae6f0ac where "mcst..tion_e7ba95bf63da1a4e_0000.0000_8295f17bcae6f0ac" is the name of the directory that you just unzipped and pasted into that folder.

Finally run the executable : Media Center Studio.exe file.

I have a complete guide on how to use MCS over at my blog as well as 18 themes with instructions on how to use the themes.

www.assassinhtpcblog.com

Welcome back Media Center Studio!!!

===========================================================

Alternatively daspannerman at the Media Browser forums has created an installer file. I haven't tried this yet but will do so very soon.

LINK

assassin 10-15-2011 07:07 PM

AVTechMan 10-15-2011 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Media Center Studio is an excellent application that allows you to completely customize the look of your WMC interface including adding and removing buttons and options.

This is just one example of a before and after picture from my blog of what MCS can do to the appearance (edit: apparently must be a blog member to see the pictures):

Before:

After:

The developer for MCS has abandoned the software but thanks to Josh3693, JoshFink and myself we have figured out a way to revitalize this valuable piece of software.

Zipped Directory

Also if you want a txt file of these instructions I have made them available here.

Next, unzip the file

Make sure you have "show hidden folders" enabled under the folders option in your Start -> Control Panel menu.

Now move the unzipped directory to C:\\users\\*your_user_name*\\Appdata\\local\\Apps\\2.0\\mcst ..tion_e7ba95bf63da1a4e_0000.0000_8295f17bcae6f0ac where "mcst..tion_e7ba95bf63da1a4e_0000.0000_8295f17bcae6f0ac" is the name of the directory that you just unzipped and pasted into that folder.

I have a complete guide on how to use MCS over at my blog as well as 18 themes with instructions on how to use the themes.

www.assassinhtpcblog.com

I'm glad to see that this program has been revitalized. I have used it with WMC before to customize the screen but either it didn't work, or WMC kept crashing to the point where I had to reset everything back to default in MCS.

shayking 10-15-2011 08:37 PM

great, i tried a version a couple weeks ago for a customer (been awhile), and found it wasnt modding all that i wanted, as it used to.

Continued developement great!

Josh3693 10-15-2011 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayking View Post

great, i tried a version a couple weeks ago for a customer (been awhile), and found it wasnt modding all that i wanted, as it used to.

Continued developement great!

As it stands, you still need to apply the McsFix to get full functionality from Media Center Studio.

whiteboy714 10-16-2011 07:27 AM

This program never really seemed to work that great for me. Sometimes it would, sometimes it would cause issues. Sometimes it just wouldn't remove what I wanted to.

Is it stable now?

assassin 10-16-2011 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

This program never really seemed to work that great for me. Sometimes it would, sometimes it would cause issues. Sometimes it just wouldn't remove what I wanted to.

Is it stable now?

Theres only one way to find out!

Let us know what you think.

whiteboy714 10-16-2011 07:49 AM

Quote:

Theres only one way to find out!

Let us know what you think.

Yah I guess thats right, it used to cause me more headaches then its worth. I'll mess with it one of these days.

PartyRunner 10-16-2011 02:53 PM

I'm still able to use it in its current form.
Great to see that it's being picked up though.

assassin 10-16-2011 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartyRunner View Post

I'm still able to use it in its current form.
Great to see that it's being picked up though.

If you already have it installed it should still work.

But if you are trying to install it now on a new machine this is the only way to get it to work.

bryansj 10-16-2011 04:10 PM

So it no longer installs unless you fake it with existing AppData?

It was bad enough that it would reset during a WMC update.

assassin 10-16-2011 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

So it no longer installs unless you fake it with existing AppData?

It was bad enough that it would reset during a WMC update.

The developer abandoned it. That's what happens when you do stuff for free (trust me, I know this firsthand). Eventually you get tired of the hassle and abandon it.

Its a great program. I am glad we firgured out a way to at least get it to work.

JoshFink 10-16-2011 04:47 PM

Quote:

Before:

After:

Zipped Directory

Next, unzip the file

www.assassinhtpcblog.com

You sure it works in the 2.0 directory? I thought it needed to be in the 2.0\\

assassin 10-16-2011 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshFink View Post

You sure it works in the 2.0 directory? I thought it needed to be in the 2.0\\

Isn't that what it says in my instructions?

Josh3693 10-16-2011 05:14 PM

Quote:

The developer abandoned it. That's what happens when you do stuff for free (trust me, I know this firsthand). Eventually you get tired of the hassle and abandon it.

Its a great program. I am glad we firgured out a way to at least get it to work.

Sad that it was abandoned without the dev releasing the source code... But who knows? Perhaps it hasn't been abandoned and the developer will make a return someday.

Meanwhile, I stumbled across this over at the windows experts forums which looks promising as a replacement for MCS. I have not given it a try yet but plan to before too long. Any here know anything about it?

JoshFink 10-16-2011 06:12 PM

Quote:

Isn't that what it says in my instructions?

Just realized that your text file does but the instructions in the first post do not.

JoshFink 10-16-2011 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh3693 View Post

Sad that it was abandoned without the dev releasing the source code... But who knows? Perhaps it hasn't been abandoned and the developer will make a return someday.

Meanwhile, I stumbled across this over at the windows experts forums which looks promising as a replacement for MCS. I have not given it a try yet but plan to before too long. Any here know anything about it?

Honestly though, maybe I'm in the minority but I usually have zero problems with it. Even on SP1. The only thing i've ever had to do was rename the statresources.dll file (I think that's what it's called). Never anything else.

assassin 10-16-2011 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshFink View Post

Just realized that your text file does but the instructions in the first post do not.

I think its the same thing...

From the text file:

Quote:

C:\\users\\*your_user_name*\\Appdata\\local\\Apps\\2.0\\*hug e_strin g_of_junk*\\

From the first post:

Quote:

Now move the unzipped directory to C:\\users\\*your_user_name*\\Appdata\\local\\Apps\\2.0\\mcst ..tion_ e7ba95bf63da1a4e_0000.0000_8295f17bcae6f0ac where "mcst..tion_e7ba95bf63da1a4e_0000.0000_8295f17bcae6f0ac" is the name of the directory that you just unzipped and pasted into that folder.

I basically just showed the name of the directory file in the first post of this thread whereas I did not post the name of the directory file in the txt file --- instead using *huge_string_of_junk* to denote the name of the file.

whiteboy714 10-17-2011 06:51 AM

Quote:

Thanks I'm going to give this a try.

assassin 10-17-2011 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

Thanks I'm going to give this a try.

Agreed. Looks awesome.

tgrinch 10-17-2011 10:49 AM

Maybe I missed it - so regarding the changes to MCS that have been made: does this mean we no longer need to rename the startresources.dll for it to work and keep our changes?

AVTechMan 10-17-2011 11:11 AM

I just tried MCS according to Assassin's instructions and works perfectly. Plus applying the MCSFix file seems to fix the problem of the start menu items not updating when I had deleted certain sections (like Movies and Sports section).

Josh3693 10-17-2011 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrinch View Post

Maybe I missed it - so regarding the changes to MCS that have been made: does this mean we no longer need to rename the startresources.dll for it to work and keep our changes?

Quote:

As it stands, you still need to apply the McsFix to get full functionality from Media Center Studio.

The mcsfix, if you choose to execute it, eliminates the need to rename your .dll files.

There have been no changes to the original program with this workaround. It was only created because the original app, which appears to have been abandoned, was only installable via a clickonce application reference (web installer). Because the creators website adventmedia.com is now no longer in existence, the installer shortcut would return a server not found error when activated. This workaround only makes it possible to install this extremely useful app on new builds/windows installs.

thetesterman 10-19-2011 01:02 AM

This is an FYI for anyone that may be interested.

When I originally started to use this great program ( maybe year or so ago ), I searched for the install directory ( I believe the one specified by Assassin, dont remember, long ago) and copied it to some other location ( in my case, to my backup D drive on another drive ).

I then moved the \\programdata\\Media Center folder to another location (in my case the same drive and folder where the program now resides ) and then created a MKLINK to that new location.

In this way I was able to backup both the program and generated files permanently. Since then, I have probably formatted at least twice and have not lost the program nor the data generated by the program ( I believe themes, start menu locations, ect ).

Would love to get my hands on the source code !!!

Good luck guys
Tester

T0R0 10-19-2011 09:09 AM

Awesome. I've been shying away from this due to a non productive experience in the past with it,, I do believe I'll take another a crack at it with your new instructions. Hoorah !

T0R0 10-20-2011 12:22 PM

Didn't work for me. Is the 2.0 folder suppose to be there already? I created it and put assassin's directory in the 2.0 folder and didn't work?
Is it a specific net.framework ?
I'll just wait for that new app poster above linked to. Money well spent

assassin 10-20-2011 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0R0 View Post

Didn't work for me. Is the 2.0 folder suppose to be there already? I created it and put assassin's directory in the 2.0 folder and didn't work?
Is it a specific net.framework ?
I'll just wait for that new app poster above linked to. Money well spent

My 2.0 folder was already there.

T0R0 10-20-2011 02:10 PM

I reformatted recently so I might be missing extra stuff, my 2.0 folder was definitely NOT there however.

vladd 10-20-2011 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetesterman View Post

Would love to get my hands on the source code !!!

One word: Reflector.

ianeicher 10-24-2011 04:14 PM

Can anyone host since the original authors website is gone?

cguy123 10-25-2011 07:35 AM

I have a dedicated server that I'd be willing to offer up to this cause.

Additionally, if anyone can contact the original programmer that worked on Media center studio, I'd be willing to buy his source code and site, if they are willing to sell it.

Seems like there's lot of interest (mine included) in this formerly great product.

Hit me on a pm to move forward.

Best,

cguy

Josh3693 10-25-2011 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cguy123 View Post

I have a dedicated server that I'd be willing to offer up to this cause.

Additionally, if anyone can contact the original programmer that worked on Media center studio, I'd be willing to buy his source code and site, if they are willing to sell it.

Seems like there's lot of interest (mine included) in this formerly great product.

Hit me on a pm to move forward.

Best,

cguy

Seems somebody over in the Australian Media Center Community may have a line on the developer. You might try posting your request over there.

http://www.pcmediacenter.com.au/foru...to-back-it-up/

Best of luck to you sir!

wizkid723 10-26-2011 07:09 AM

I have created a simple script to extract and create a shortcut to your desktop. You would just need 2 additional programs (one to extract the zip, and one to make the shortcut).

I have used 7-Zip (www(dot)7-zip(dot)org), and a tool called XXMkLink (www(dot)xxcopy(dot)com/xxcopy38.htm).

To use:
-make a folder
-put zip in folder
-from 7-zip copy the 7z.exe file (from the installed 7-zip program, typically c:\\program files\\7-zip)
-put the xxmklink.exe into the same folder

open notepad, paste the following:
Code:
7z x -o"%LOCALAPPDATA%\\Apps\\2.0\\" "Assassin's MCS Directory.zip" 
xxmklink "%USERPROFILE%\\Desktop\\MCStudio" "%LOCALAPPDATA%\\Apps\\2.0\\mcst..tion_e7ba95bf63da1a4e_0000.0000_8295f17bcae6f0ac\\Media Center Studio.exe"
Save the file to something like install.cmd (change the dropdown in notepad to all files for the file type)

Double click the batch file.

You now will have it installed to your user folder & a shortcut on your desktop.

Contents of the folder:
- 7z.exe
- Assassin's MCS Directory
- install.cmd
- xxmklink.exe

(I know I am too lazy to make it an AutoIT script, or a self-extracting zip, sorry) It's still better then doing it by hand if you need to install it on multiple machines, like myself.

Also, sorry for the URL's but I wanted to help and new to the site.

Erighan 11-03-2011 12:24 PM

Quote:

My 2.0 folder was already there.

Quote:

I reformatted recently so I might be missing extra stuff, my 2.0 folder was definitely NOT there however.

I don't have an .../apps or /2.0 folder either. Should I create these folders and then place the zip files?

Also, can someone please clarify if the MCSfix is required? Assassin did not list it in the OP, but some people mentioned installing both...

This is for a fresh install of WM7 not currently running MCS.

Thanks

Josh3693 11-03-2011 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erighan View Post

I don't have an .../apps or /2.0 folder either. Should I create these folders and then place the zip files?

Also, can someone please clarify if the MCSfix is required? Assassin did not list it in the OP, but some people mentioned installing both...

Thanks

MCSfix is reccommended if you want to edit your menus. Otherwise you will have to manually rename some .dll files to make you menu changes "stick". To simply change your theme/background it is not needed. As far as the rest goes, I'm not sure as I have not yet attempted this workaround on a fresh install.

As an alternative, you might want to try the MCE 7 Reset Toolbox mentioned earlier in this thread. A much more powerful tool that is being actively supported by its developer. It's not free but if I recall correctly there is a trial period and the price is quite reasonable.

Best of luck to you!

Erighan 11-04-2011 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erighan View Post

Thanks

Quote:

MCSfix is reccommended if you want to edit your menus. Otherwise you will have to manually rename some .dll files to make you menu changes "stick". To simply change your theme/background it is not needed. As far as the rest goes, I'm not sure as I have not yet attempted this workaround on a fresh install.

As an alternative, you might want to try the MCE 7 Reset Toolbox mentioned earlier in this thread. A much more powerful tool that is being actively supported by its developer. It's not free but if I recall correctly there is a trial period and the price is quite reasonable.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks for the info Josh. I do want to change the menus, so I'll DL the fix.

Anyone else able to explain the missing folders in the appdata directory. Should I manually add them?

Erighan 11-06-2011 10:27 AM

Hey guys. Anyone know what to do if the app and 2.0 folders are not listed in the appdata folder?

Basically, trying to install MCS and MCSfix on a fresh install of Win7 and want to know what steps are best to follow.

Thanks

Erighan 11-08-2011 03:18 AM

TTT to see if someone can help. Thanks

hanly2 11-09-2011 04:53 PM

Hey assasin do any changes made to wmc on pc also happen on the extenders?

jeff lam 11-13-2011 12:47 AM

Quote:

same for me. I get up to appdata/local then nothing else listed in the instructions. No Apps folder within "Local".

Josh3693 11-13-2011 07:41 AM

Ok everyone, check out this post at the mediabrowser forums. A couple posts down, daspannerman has created an installer available for download. Best of luck to you all!

Ryan1 11-13-2011 07:56 AM

Quote:

As an alternative, you might want to try the MCE 7 Reset Toolbox mentioned earlier in this thread....

Unfortunately, MCE 7 Reset Toolbox does not seem nearly as intuitive, nor as capable at manipulating WMC's menu structure, as Media Center Studio was.

assassin 11-13-2011 09:19 AM

Quote:

Ok everyone, check out this post at the mediabrowser forums. A couple posts down, daspannerman has created an installer available for download. Best of luck to you all!

Awesome. I will update the first post...

jeff lam 11-13-2011 05:32 PM

Quote:

Awesome. I will update the first post...

The installer file seems to have worked for me... Still messing around with it. Is there a link of pictures somewhere that shows all the various themes? And is there a tutorial on how to use this program to it's full potential?

Erighan 11-14-2011 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff lam View Post

The installer file seems to have worked for me... Still messing around with it. Is there a link of pictures somewhere that shows all the various themes? And is there a tutorial on how to use this program to it's full potential?

Reference the links in post #2. They should provide some decent walkthroughs.

Also, FYI for those of you that didn't have the apps/2.0 folders...I just decided to create the folders manually. I then installed the MCSFix and setup the task manager to run the MCSFix after it runs the standard Media Center updates.

So far, I've been able to completely change the default menu structure and the changes have stuck.

The wife is finally happy that she doesn't have to see two "movie" libraries on the MC homepage. I changed the default Movie strip to Netflix and deleted all the other movie strip contents, so the only thing that shows in Netflix.

pacemaker 11-15-2011 08:27 AM

Hi Guys

First off many thanks to those responsible for resurecting this program.
I used it all the time but just done a reinstall and was devistated when my original loader didnt work

still cant get this ti work though

i run the 'installer' prog and everything looks fine but making any changes then causes MCE to crash on loading!

also i do not have:
C:\\ProgramData\\Microsoft\\eHome\\Packages\\MCEClientUX

no 'packages' inside the 'ehome' folder

Cheers

Erighan 11-15-2011 09:18 AM

I wasn't able to get the installer to work, so I just dowloaded the zip file that Assassin posted and manually placed the zipped folder into the app/2.0 folder.

You will still need to edit the .dll files manually or instal the MCSFix to edit the menus.

Try this method and see if it works.

pacemaker 11-15-2011 01:46 PM

still no joy
only half the thread existed as for as 'Appdata' so i manually created the rest
also as said the same had to be done for the fix

program runs but as soon as you make any changes MCE then crashes on load

sievers 11-15-2011 02:13 PM

I use MCSFix when my menu resets, and it fixes the menu ok. But, each time I run it, it leaves a shortcut to "MCFSix" (yes it's spelled wrong) in my startup menu. The result is, the next time the pc boots, I will get an error and error log popping up because this is an invalid shortcut. Anyone know what is going on there and how to stop it? thanks

joeliuscaesarus 11-17-2011 01:42 AM

assasin, i followed your instructions after downloading your zip file however when i run "Media Center Studio.exe" i get a media center studio has stopped working error message. it doesnt actually manage to open.

i have tried running as admin, running in compatibility mode, i also tried the installer you linked which also didnt work.

just for reference, this is the full location: "C:\\Users\\myusername\\AppData\\Local\\Apps\\2.0\\mcst..tion _e7ba95bf63da1a4e_0000.0000_8295f17bcae6f0ac\\Media Center Studio.exe"

any help would be apreciated.

Joel

leedavies 01-03-2012 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1 View Post

Unfortunately, MCE 7 Reset Toolbox does not seem nearly as intuitive, nor as capable at manipulating WMC's menu structure, as Media Center Studio was.

I'd go so far as to say even the latest v3.9.7 release of MCE7 Reset Toolbox is the most buggy pile of crap I've ever tried to use. Quality-wise it's an internal test version. Utter crap. Crashes way too often losing your changes.

Waste of time until it gets more stable. I'm on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and have tried the last 3 versions of MCE7 Reset Toolbox, with the latest version after a system wipe and fresh Windows installation.

Still, it's perfectly named. It's for MCE7 and it does indeed reset/crash often. Don't waste your money on this crap.

FantaXP7 01-03-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedavies View Post

I'd go so far as to say even the latest v3.9.7 release of MCE7 Reset Toolbox is the most buggy pile of crap I've ever tried to use. Quality-wise it's an internal test version. Utter crap. Crashes way too often losing your changes.

Waste of time until it gets more stable. I'm on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and have tried the last 3 versions of MCE7 Reset Toolbox, with the latest version after a system wipe and fresh Windows installation.

Still, it's perfectly named. It's for MCE7 and it does indeed reset/crash often. Don't waste your money on this crap.

I'm glad to see that I wasn't the only one confused with that program.

Also glad to see that Media Center Studio is working again.

I want more people to develop themes though, I haven't seen anything new for a long, long time.

jeremyhelling 02-24-2012 05:37 AM

Can this be used on Windows 7? The reason I ask is because I don't have the following file path:

Now move the unzipped directory to C:\\users\\*your_user_name*\\Appdata\\local\\Apps\\2.0\\mcst ..tion_ e7ba95bf63da1a4e_0000.0000_8295f17bcae6f0ac where "mcst..tion_e7ba95bf63da1a4e_0000.0000_8295f17bcae6f0ac" is the name of the directory that you just unzipped and pasted into that folder.

I can get to the local folder in that path but there is no 'Apps' folder within that. I do have the option to show hidden files enabled.

If someone can help me get this installed I can remove a lot of the bloat on WMC to make it easier for my wife to navigate since we only use a couple features on the home screen.

Thanks!

Norsican 02-24-2012 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyhelling View Post

Can this be used on Windows 7? The reason I ask is because I don't have the following file path:

I can get to the local folder in that path but there is no 'Apps' folder within that. I do have the option to show hidden files enabled.

If someone can help me get this installed I can remove a lot of the bloat on WMC to make it easier for my wife to navigate since we only use a couple features on the home screen.

Thanks!

The "Apps" folder is hidden by default. Show hidden files and it will be there.

jeremyhelling 02-24-2012 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsican View Post

The "Apps" folder is hidden by default. Show hidden files and it will be there.

As I stated, I did that already. It's not there.

Norsican 02-24-2012 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyhelling View Post

As I stated, I did that already. It's not there.

Make it.

Platypus222 03-30-2012 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sievers View Post

I use MCSFix when my menu resets, and it fixes the menu ok. But, each time I run it, it leaves a shortcut to "MCFSix" (yes it's spelled wrong) in my startup menu. The result is, the next time the pc boots, I will get an error and error log popping up because this is an invalid shortcut. Anyone know what is going on there and how to stop it? thanks

Hey sievers, I was having the same problem and I came up with a quick fix for this quick fix. First, delete anything related to this from your Startup folder (the ErrorLog, mcsfix, mcfsix). If you don't have the original EXE, you'll need to either copy it out of your Startup before deleting or just redownload it. Put that anywhere in your system that's not in the Startup folder, like your User folder perhaps.

You're going to want to make a BAT file, so open Notepad. Put in the following lines:
@echo off
"[Location you just put it in]\\MCSFix.exe"
erase "C:\\Users\\[Username]\\AppData\\Roaming\\Microsoft\\Windows\\Start Menu\\Programs\\Startup\\mcfsix.exe"

Change the location on the second line to the appropriate location and put your username in the third line. Save this as a .bat file and then either put this file or a shortcut to this file in your shortcut file. All it does is run the program, which creates the misspelled Startup entry. It then deletes that file immediately, so conflicts never come up, so that error never exists. It's not pretty, but it works. Without the source code or just remaking this fix, this is about the best I can do.

Mfusick 12-09-2012 06:02 PM

What is everyone using these days ? Still doing the work around ???

staknhalo 12-09-2012 06:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

What is everyone using these days ? Still doing the work around ???

Someone made an installable version again.

Mfusick 01-25-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staknhalo View Post

Someone made an installable version again.

where is that ???

etttescott 04-06-2013 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeliuscaesarus View Post

when i run "Media Center Studio.exe" i get a media center studio has stopped working error message. it doesnt actually manage to open.

Same here. Running Windows 8.

Sammy2 04-06-2013 07:42 AM

12 Attachment(s)
Talk about digging up a thread from the crypt.

This is probably another reason to run your HTPC on Win7.

etttescott 04-06-2013 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Talk about digging up a thread from the crypt.

This is probably another reason to run your HTPC on Win7.

But my rig is so much more than an HTPC!
http://www.overclock.net/t/1363969/liquid-cooled-nes-pc

Besides, what good would my touchscreen monitor be on win7? wink.gif

I tried out MCE Reset Toolbox again. I must have downloaded an older version the first time I tried it. Works great!
http://vistademon.wordpress.com/windows-8/

Sammy2 04-06-2013 08:01 AM

12 Attachment(s)
How can you enjoy watching a movie (or even sending an email) on a screen with fingerprints on it? Maybe it is just me but I slap the dirty paws that get withing 6 inches of my monitor and the only time I touch it or my HDTV is to clean the dust off it with screen cleaner; even then I don't actually "touch" it.

So the new download works now? That's good.

sbdman 04-30-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etttescott View Post

But my rig is so much more than an HTPC!
http://www.overclock.net/t/1363969/liquid-cooled-nes-pc

Besides, what good would my touchscreen monitor be on win7? wink.gif

I tried out MCE Reset Toolbox again. I must have downloaded an older version the first time I tried it. Works great!
http://vistademon.wordpress.com/windows-8/

Just tried this out myself, and yes, works just like MCS. BUT, it says it will stop working and return to stock Windows 8 MC after free trial. Guess I could pay the 5 pounds - probably $12 dollars or so? Any other solutions?

bryansj 04-30-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbdman View Post

Just tried this out myself, and yes, works just like MCS. BUT, it says it will stop working and return to stock Windows 8 MC after free trial. Guess I could pay the 5 pounds - probably $12 dollars or so? Any other solutions?

5 pounds is $7.77 USD.

sbdman 05-01-2013 05:47 PM

Tried the register, said to pay 10 to paypal. $10, or 10 pounds, not the question, and, yes I know how to google pounds to dollars, Still looking for a free version like MSC had and doesn't work in Windows 8.

bryansj 05-01-2013 06:29 PM

I paid for MCE Reset Toolbox. It was worth it for what it does and works great in my Win8 install. Please report back when you find a free alternative. I feel that the custom channel backup and restore alone was worth the money which MSC didn't do in the first place.

sbdman 05-02-2013 01:02 PM

Guess you were lucky at half price. Reset toolbox is now £10.00, so I guess it's more like $15.52. Don't need the backup - MCS taught me to do it over and over with Windows updates.

Yes, I'll keep looking. The alternative is stock media center with a lot of extra up, down, left and right to get where your going.

bryansj 05-02-2013 01:15 PM

I'm talking about custom guide backup. Where you use a cablecard and have 800 channels listed in your guide and you delete 650 crap ones and reorder them the way you would like. Then MCE Reset Toolbox will back up your changes and let you restore the ~150 channels if needed.

jkgiant 05-02-2013 04:04 PM

Here's an option for channel backup - http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/24631/backup-your-windows-7-media-center-settings-with-mcbackup/ Not sure if it works on Win 8. I've tried MCE Reset Toolbox and although it works well, MCS provides the theme and menu functions that I need for free, and mcbackup the free backup. That makes it hard to justify the ~$15 USD price for MCE toolbox.

Mike99 05-30-2013 12:37 AM

I looked but it does not appear any of these or other programs can modify the WMC7 guide to display more hours at a time, for example 3 hours. Did I miss that feature or can the guide be extended?

Mfusick 11-19-2013 03:28 PM

Any of you guys hacking or playing around with MB3 Classic in much the same way ? Still doing this stuff on WMC ?

What's the "new" method for changing the look of MB classic ?

politby 11-20-2013 07:52 AM

I use MC Reset Toolbox to cleab up the 8MC menu, only problem is every time MB Classic updates itself it resets the changes I have made to its entry point. wink.gif

pittsoccer33 11-20-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Any of you guys hacking or playing around with MB3 Classic in much the same way ? Still doing this stuff on WMC ?

What's the "new" method for changing the look of MB classic ?

When I started looking into upgrading from MB 2.x I was told that the new version doesnt create WMC entry points. That makes it a nonstarter for me, since I like going from the default WMC interface directly into my movie or game libraries. I have the MB home screen completely hidden.

Sammy2 11-20-2013 08:30 AM

12 Attachment(s)
As the only function of WMC that I use is the Live/Recorded TV I really don't need an entry point into a specific area of MB3, what I need is an entry point from MB3 into Live and Recorded TV in WMC. I think that MB Theater will get there but right now it just launches WMC at the start menu strip. Would you reconsider if it worked that way, with entry points into WMC from MBT?

pittsoccer33 11-20-2013 10:04 AM

I'm just opposed to having to leave the software at all - thats why I don't use an external player. It isn't clean enough for me and I could never get rid of the taskbar completely when I tried doing it.

I do have TMT5 for random bluray discs (it is a quasi plug in - it still operates via the Extensibility Host) and I run my VCR through my PC too because I'm a weirdo (that requires launching Catalyst Media Center). But those are rare cases.

I was thinking about the future. I'd like to set up a projector in the next 2 years and I'm thinking that system will back both WMC and MBT on it. If I'm having company for a football game I'll run WMC. If its movie night then maybe MBT to take advantage of some of the madvr stuff.

Sammy2 11-20-2013 10:16 AM

12 Attachment(s)
I have never had a problem with the windows task bar going away but it does momentarily pop up when loading MB / MBC as I use first position on the taskbar mapped to Win +1 in the harmony software. Other than that I never see it in WMC or in MPC-HC. For the simplicity of this set up I don't worry about it much because I could do a registry hack to do this too, I just don't.

I have a MediaBrowser button as well as a LiveTV and RecordedTV button on my harmony so I jump from MB to those readily as well as from say LiveTV to MB with the push of one button on the remote. The rest of WMC besides these two things is pretty much worthless to me so I think that what I do is as convenient as having entry points.

I also think that eventually MBT will actually have entry points into these specific areas of WMC so that MBT becomes your front end. I am going to put in a feature request on the MB3 forums for just this functionality.

BTW, thanks and gratitude for your input on fixing the over scan and margin issues the other day.. That worked like a charm.

maelstrom209 06-22-2015 12:17 PM

Hi everyone - This is a really old thread but likely the best one with info on how to customize Windows Media Center.

Since this is so old, I went through the entire thread clicking on the links and such trying to find something that works. It appears that nearly every link to a download is no longer available except the ones from Assassin. I downloaded the stuff from Assassin and followed the instructions (I had to create my own 2.0 folder as well) and launched Advent Media Center Studio which worked.

My goal was to change the menu items. Unfortunately the changes I made did not stick. Apparently I need MCSfix or to edit .dll myself. The link to the MCSfix is no longer available. I need help with finding out which .dll files I need to change and what do I actually change in the .dll files.

Thanks if anybody can help with this. It's just unfortunate I'm late to the game on this and nearly all the resources are now going to 404 pages. The instructions are all still available but those files I need to do this aren't.

bryansj 06-22-2015 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maelstrom209 (Post 35226794)
Hi everyone - This is a really old thread but likely the best one with info on how to customize Windows Media Center.

Since this is so old, I went through the entire thread clicking on the links and such trying to find something that works. It appears that nearly every link to a download is no longer available except the ones from Assassin. I downloaded the stuff from Assassin and followed the instructions (I had to create my own 2.0 folder as well) and launched Advent Media Center Studio which worked.

My goal was to change the menu items. Unfortunately the changes I made did not stick. Apparently I need MCSfix or to edit .dll myself. The link to the MCSfix is no longer available. I need help with finding out which .dll files I need to change and what do I actually change in the .dll files.

Thanks if anybody can help with this. It's just unfortunate I'm late to the game on this and nearly all the resources are now going to 404 pages. The instructions are all still available but those files I need to do this aren't.

Use MCE Reset Toolbox. It pretty much replaces everything in this thread. You can change menu entries and backup and restore guide data and recordings too. It also lets you change the themes.

schneikies 02-10-2016 07:36 AM

Hi all,

Hoping someone here can help me out. I set up my HTPC a long time ago with a customized 7MC and media browser. I recently had an issue where I had to wipe my computer clean and start over and lost some of my backups. I am trying to get setup how I previously had it as that worked well for me. My questions come in as I am trying to apply the same customizations that I had before. I am using media center studio to modify 7MC. It allows me to change the start menu strips and add different buttons but it will not allow me to modify anything to do with the theme. I have tried creating my own, downloading others created themes and applying them. I have tried using MCE Reset Toolbox. Nothing modifies the background, font and general appearance of 7MC. It is acting like there is another folder stored someplace else that is overwriting anything that is stored in the normal location that the theme data would be. Has anyone run into this that can help? Also, the theme that it has defaulted to that will not go away does not seem to be the original. The background is still a blue fade, but it has off white muted tree or flower branches that accent a couple areas and the text shows up in a bright green. I don't know where it came from, but it will not let me get rid of it. I have tried the "work around" stuff as well with no success. Like I said, it worked to allow me to modify the start menu, but not the theme appearance.

Also, on a related but separate note. I re-loaded classic media browser to display and run my movie collection. I would prefer to use this and set it up how I had it, but it looks like it was updated and the classic does not have the same functionality. Is there anyplace that still has the themes for media browser that I can download and add? I don't remember which one I was using, but I know that it at least came with one (chocolate I think) and that it no longer accessible through the program. What are my options if I want to stick with classic media browser?

Thanks,

-Aaron

pittsoccer33 02-10-2016 08:38 AM

Media Browser eliminated a bunch of stuff when they moved to the new model. The servers that hosted the legacy version and its plugins are all gone.

I have some zip files of the plug in .dll files I can send you (they're too big for the forum to let me post them), but if you have paid for plugins you're probably out of luck.

If you want to PM me an email address I can sling those your way.

Sammy2 02-10-2016 08:45 AM

12 Attachment(s)
I forgot all about MediaCenterStudio and this work around. I never used it before but the themes are pretty cool. Is there a way to invoke it and use nice themes still?

schneikies 02-10-2016 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 (Post 41425377)
Media Browser eliminated a bunch of stuff when they moved to the new model. The servers that hosted the legacy version and its plugins are all gone.

I have some zip files of the plug in .dll files I can send you (they're too big for the forum to let me post them), but if you have paid for plugins you're probably out of luck.

If you want to PM me an email address I can sling those your way.

Thanks, PM sent. Any insight on the Windows Media Center issue I am having? I have tried all of the info on the old threads that I could find and nothing seems to work. The biggest problem before (which I did have) was updates screwing with the start menu. I never had an issue with it not taking a new background image?

Thanks,

-Aaron

pittsoccer33 02-10-2016 09:03 AM

i figured out the location the plugins dll files go in:

c:\ProgramData\MediaBrowser\Plugins

I haven't touched MCS in about 4 years, I can try having a look when I get home.

Erighan 02-10-2016 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sammy2 (Post 41425609)
I forgot all about MediaCenterStudio and this work around. I never used it before but the themes are pretty cool. Is there a way to invoke it and use nice themes still?

I'm interested in this as well. After 4 years of using WMC 7, I finally had to do a fresh install. I have everything back to original settings except for Media Center Studio with custom themes/menus and Netflix menu integration.

I've only looked briefly into this, but seems like these died off... :(

DavidinCT 02-22-2016 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erighan (Post 41446889)
I'm interested in this as well. After 4 years of using WMC 7, I finally had to do a fresh install. I have everything back to original settings except for Media Center Studio with custom themes/menus and Netflix menu integration.

I've only looked briefly into this, but seems like these died off... :(

Media Center studio still works on Windows 7 fine.... If you had a backup of your system, you can restore C:\programdata\Media Center studio

It's where all the themes are stored for MCS... Wish I could get this working on Windows 8 or 10 (hacked in WMC),

JHBrandt 04-02-2017 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maelstrom209 (Post 35226794)

Yes I know it's been a year and a half since you asked but if you're still interested, I think I found the answer here: http://mpsharp.com/blog/2011/01/23/h...er-studio-fix/

Unfortunately it looks like you'll have to redo that each time M$ changes StartResources.dll (every few months).