Plex Discussion Thread - Page 62 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 329Likes

post #1831 of 2784 Old 01-04-2017, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Hey everyone I've been away from this for a while, I have someone that is looking for as simple as possible of a media player, to use with Plex, they have a Plex Server that I have setup for them and they watch remotely and now want something to add in to their Home Theater Set up, they want HD / 3D Audio and ATMOS / DTS:X output if at all possible.

Personally I use an HTPC which works but requires way to much tweaking for some reason. I don't know if its the PC or Plex but today it will play / pass ATMOS and tomorrow it won't, they can't deal with that kind of inconsistency so I would like something stand alone like a Roku, Shield or even an AppleTV if it will give them the desired functionality.

Any thoughts or are we still not quite there yet?

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 2784 Old 01-04-2017, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Shield will do it, but good luck finding any. Roku will not for sure.
post #1833 of 2784 Old 01-04-2017, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
Hey everyone I've been away from this for a while, I have someone that is looking for as simple as possible of a media player, to use with Plex, they have a Plex Server that I have setup for them and they watch remotely and now want something to add in to their Home Theater Set up, they want HD / 3D Audio and ATMOS / DTS:X output if at all possible.

Personally I use an HTPC which works but requires way to much tweaking for some reason. I don't know if its the PC or Plex but today it will play / pass ATMOS and tomorrow it won't, they can't deal with that kind of inconsistency so I would like something stand alone like a Roku, Shield or even an AppleTV if it will give them the desired functionality.

ODroid C2 is an option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattykidd View Post
Odroid c2 works perfectly. I'm running the embedded openpht client (although libreelec is gonna get some more of my attention). Bitstreams my audio just the way I want, haven't had any hiccups in initial testing. The eMMC module works awesome, highly recommended.

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1834 of 2784 Old 01-04-2017, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:

Have a look HERE
post #1835 of 2784 Old 01-04-2017, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
Shield will do it, but good luck finding any. Roku will not for sure.
Thanks, I was looking for one around Christmas and thought that they were just out of stock due to the Holiday but that doesn't seem to be the case.

The same with Roku but their website shows a bunch of new / coming soon units. I hope they are decent.

So maybe Shield will be coming out with something new as well?

We shall see... So I guess not much has changed

The new Apple TV doesn't do HD / 3D Audio?

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
post #1836 of 2784 Old 01-04-2017, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 473
I would keep looking for the shield with an eye out for a new model. Honestly though when they announced the original model you couldn't buy it for 6 months. Hopefully they do better this time around

Quote:
The new Apple TV doesn't do HD / 3D Audio?
Lol, no
funhouse69 likes this.
post #1837 of 2784 Old 01-05-2017, 05:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 30
So I finally got plex up and running over the holidays. Mostly because I didn't like using my appletv as it limited my video format. Now with plex I can run mkv and multiple audio formats through plex via ps4. Question though that I can't seem to find the answer to.

My PS4 supports multiple audio formats and so does my yamaha475. I've left my ps4 in LPCM audio output for many years as that seems to be the consensus best output for games and movies. When I play blurays in my ps4, my receiver displays the format ie bluray audio, DTS-MA etc. When I'm playing these formats through plex I still just see LPCM. I'm aware that there are different options for transcoding. Does anyone know if I'm truly getting DTS-MA, TrueHD etc? I know I'm getting surround and everything sounds nice. Just not sure what's really happening from the time it leaves the source on my computer to the time it reaches the ps4 then sent through my receiver and out to the speakers.

I only have a 5.1 setup and I'm happy with how it sounds. Just want to be sure I'm taking full advantage.

Vizio m55
Yamaha v475
Pioneer Andrew Jones 5.0, BIC F12
PS4, AppleTV, DirecTV
post #1838 of 2784 Old 01-05-2017, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1760 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacc Attack View Post
So I finally got plex up and running over the holidays. Mostly because I didn't like using my appletv as it limited my video format. Now with plex I can run mkv and multiple audio formats through plex via ps4. Question though that I can't seem to find the answer to.

My PS4 supports multiple audio formats and so does my yamaha475. I've left my ps4 in LPCM audio output for many years as that seems to be the consensus best output for games and movies. When I play blurays in my ps4, my receiver displays the format ie bluray audio, DTS-MA etc. When I'm playing these formats through plex I still just see LPCM. I'm aware that there are different options for transcoding. Does anyone know if I'm truly getting DTS-MA, TrueHD etc? I know I'm getting surround and everything sounds nice. Just not sure what's really happening from the time it leaves the source on my computer to the time it reaches the ps4 then sent through my receiver and out to the speakers.

I only have a 5.1 setup and I'm happy with how it sounds. Just want to be sure I'm taking full advantage.
I don't think Plex on the PS4 supports HD Audio bitstreaming. It'll need to transcode and send LPCM to the PS4. If you want HD audio bitstreamed then you need a PC or Shield for Plex.

post #1839 of 2784 Old 01-05-2017, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
I don't think Plex on the PS4 supports HD Audio bitstreaming. It'll need to transcode and send LPCM to the PS4. If you want HD audio bitstreamed then you need a PC or Shield for Plex.

so if my source is hd audio, do you think it's just converting?

Vizio m55
Yamaha v475
PS4, AppleTV, DirecTV
post #1840 of 2784 Old 01-05-2017, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
so if my source is hd audio, do you think it's just converting?
Yes. Play the file and open the status page on the Plex Server and it'll say what it is doing with the audio (and video). It should say Transcoding for the audio and will probably direct play the video.

post #1841 of 2784 Old 01-05-2017, 07:25 AM

interesting thanks. What hardware is best to setup to do the transcoding. if I remember there are options.

Vizio m55
Yamaha v475
PS4, AppleTV, DirecTV
post #1842 of 2784 Old 01-05-2017, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
interesting thanks. What hardware is best to setup to do the transcoding. if I remember there are options.
If you can't hear the difference, does it matter?

Shield is best still, but there are plenty of other options such as HTPC/NUC.

Looks like we are 11 days from the new Shield. Note the first paragraph - 4K HDR from Netflix, Amazon, YouTube and Google Play.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/...-release-date/

Nvidia has launched a new version of its Shield Android TV streaming box that not only features 4K HDR streaming from the likes of Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, and Google Play, but also allows gamers to stream 4K HDR games from their PC to their TV.

Last edited by TornadoTJ; 01-05-2017 at 07:34 AM.
post #1843 of 2784 Old 01-05-2017, 09:05 AM

it doesn't matter really no. and I'm not trying to spend any extra money on new hardware. It's more about making sure my existing equipment is running to its best potential. It's like looking at your parents computer and seeing all the things that aren't setup right and fixing it for them.

plus there's part of me that likes seeing that dts-ma logo haha.

Vizio m55
Yamaha v475
PS4, AppleTV, DirecTV
post #1844 of 2784 Old 01-05-2017, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's like looking at your parents computer and seeing all the things that aren't setup right and fixing it for them.
You had me right there. I've been dying to put an SSD in my father's horrible laptop.
post #1845 of 2784 Old 01-05-2017, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Might be late to the party on this one, but is anyone using Plex DVR with an HDHR Prime?
post #1846 of 2784 Old 01-05-2017, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I have a shield and it is easy to use and works great with plex.

I also have a NUC loaded with embedded Plex Media Player and it works great and is even easier to use than the Shield. The added benefit of using the NUC is that if additional power is needed for the Plex server he could always run that off the NUC as well.

Optoma HD33
120" Elite ultra white screen
Denon 4311
INuke 3000
MiniDsp 2x4
SVS PB12 plus/2 & (2) SI HT18 in miniMartys
post #1847 of 2784 Old 01-05-2017, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoe View Post
The added benefit of using the NUC is that if additional power is needed for the Plex server he could always run that off the NUC as well.
Are you saying there is a way to install PMS onto a Plex Embedded NUC?
post #1848 of 2784 Old 01-05-2017, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Are you saying there is a way to install PMS onto a Plex Embedded NUC?
There are 2 embedded options
Plex Home Theater
Plex Media Player

Theater is the older app and player is their newest offering. I started with PHT, but then switched to Player which I liked better. As far as I know there is no embedded option for the full server/player, you would need to install an OS for that. But with a powerful enough NUC that could be an option if needed in the future, much cheaper to run and NUC for the server than a PC.

Optoma HD33
120" Elite ultra white screen
Denon 4311
INuke 3000
MiniDsp 2x4
SVS PB12 plus/2 & (2) SI HT18 in miniMartys
post #1849 of 2784 Old 01-05-2017, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My NUC cost more than a few PCs I have. You can get one of those bare-bones deals at Frys for less than $80, even sometimes less than $70.

It's too bad they don't make an embedded server. It would be really nice. I'm re-purposing my NUC right now and the ways to install server on it are kind of messy, especially if you do it on OpenELEC or LibreELEC.
post #1850 of 2784 Old 01-05-2017, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
My NUC cost more than a few PCs I have. You can get one of those bare-bones deals at Frys for less than $80, even sometimes less than $70.

It's too bad they don't make an embedded server. It would be really nice. I'm re-purposing my NUC right now and the ways to install server on it are kind of messy, especially if you do it on OpenELEC or LibreELEC.
As a side note, I am using Libreelec on a Chromebox to run Kodi. I am also using it as a Plex Media Server with a Libreelec plugin. With this setup the Chromebox is powerful enough (just barely) to transcode full Bluray rips so I can watch on my iPad. I am also using MrMC (a legitimate Kodi based Fire TV app) on multiple Fire TVs. MrMC has the ability to directly use the Plex media library. I have found MrMC with the Plex feature works way better that the Plex app for Fire TV. It play full Bluray rips with no problem. The only thing lacking is HD Audio. I know this is a little off topic but I thought it might be of interest.

Jay
post #1851 of 2784 Old 01-05-2017, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Eh, it's good info. I still have a Fire TV stick, but I rarely use it, it's way too slow. But it might be worth looking into MrMC on it.

I just wish installing PMS on LibreELEC was easier. I mean it's not bad, but I haven't had any luck getting a version 1.0 or newer to work yet.
post #1852 of 2784 Old 01-05-2017, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoe View Post
I have a shield and it is easy to use and works great with plex.

I also have a NUC loaded with embedded Plex Media Player and it works great and is even easier to use than the Shield. The added benefit of using the NUC is that if additional power is needed for the Plex server he could always run that off the NUC as well.
Thanks I see the Shield Website just went to "Preorder" for all of their models. I hope they come out SOON!!!

Update - According to Amazon and B&H the new / updated models will be out on Jan 16th, I pre ordered one. Why not right?

Last edited by funhouse69; 01-05-2017 at 02:24 PM.
post #1853 of 2784 Old 01-05-2017, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
I just wish installing PMS on LibreELEC was easier. I mean it's not bad, but I haven't had any luck getting a version 1.0 or newer to work yet.
What trouble are you having. I just download the add-on to a SMB folder that is reachable from the Libreelec Chromebox and use the Kodi Program menu to install an add-on from a zip file. I am using 1.1.9 and it seems to work just fine.

Jay
post #1854 of 2784 Old 01-11-2017, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Cant speak to atmos, but I got way tired of running OpenPHT on win 10 bc of constantly having to screw with it. Installed embedded on a small ssd in my htpc. Wish I'd done it a year ago. It's fantastic
post #1855 of 2784 Old 01-12-2017, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat-ball View Post
Cant speak to atmos, but I got way tired of running OpenPHT on win 10 bc of constantly having to screw with it. Installed embedded on a small ssd in my htpc. Wish I'd done it a year ago. It's fantastic

Embedded? Embedded what?

post #1856 of 2784 Old 01-12-2017, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Embedded? Embedded what?
OpenELEC was kind of the genesis for this which led to LibreELEC and Plex embedded

The ELEC portion stood for embedded Linux entertainment center. Essentially a stripped down Linux, from which repos I know not. No gnome, no kde, no xwm, no x etc. No window manager or desktop. Hence the "embedded" name. Boot straight to your application, in this case Plex
post #1857 of 2784 Old 01-16-2017, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
Yes. Play the file and open the status page on the Plex Server and it'll say what it is doing with the audio (and video). It should say Transcoding for the audio and will probably direct play the video.
Very interesting descussoin! After strugling with Universal Media Center for almost 2 weeks, I was finally able to hook up Plex and was surprised how user friendly Plex is. Very convenient that you can change the audio and subtitle track during playback. Though it's unclear what audio quality my I'm getting.

During playback of movies with a DTS track, the server status indicates "conversion to AAC", though I'm getting surround sound. Does this mean I'm getting a 5.1 AAC signal? I'm also not sure what bitrate this signal has and if there is any downconversion or quality loss from the original audio track or if the audio just comes through in a different container without an quality loss.

You must know that I have my PS4 audio settings set to "bitstreamed" with "DTS priority" so my receiver's display is constantly lit up with DTS, even if I'm just getting a dolby digital or a stereo track during media streaming or gameplay. Only during DVD and blu ray playback I get the true signal to my receiver. So it's always a bit of a guess what audio signal my receiver is getting. Any ideas?

Display: Epson EH-TW7300 | Player: PS4 Pro | Media Centre: Raspberry Pi 3 | Receiver: Denon AVR-X2500H | Fronts / surrounds: SVS SBS-01 | Centre: SVS SCS-01 | Sub: SVS PC13 Ultra
post #1858 of 2784 Old 01-16-2017, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kick ass sub View Post
Very interesting descussoin! After strugling with Universal Media Center for almost 2 weeks, I was finally able to hook up Plex and was surprised how user friendly Plex is. Very convenient that you can change the audio and subtitle track during playback. Though it's unclear what audio quality my I'm getting.

During playback of movies with a DTS track, the server status indicates "conversion to AAC", though I'm getting surround sound. Does this mean I'm getting a 5.1 AAC signal? I'm also not sure what bitrate this signal has and if there is any downconversion or quality loss from the original audio track or if the audio just comes through in a different container without an quality loss.

You must know that I have my PS4 audio settings set to "bitstreamed" with "DTS priority" so my receiver's display is constantly lit up with DTS, even if I'm just getting a dolby digital or a stereo track during media streaming or gameplay. Only during DVD and blu ray playback I get the true signal to my receiver. So it's always a bit of a guess what audio signal my receiver is getting. Any ideas?
The PS4 supports those bitstreamed formats, but the Plex App on the PS4 does not. Your Plex Server is converting your DTS 5.1 to AAC 5.1 which is compatible with the PS4.

If you want the lights on your AVR to display the source audio format using Plex then you'll need a compatible device. Those are basically a PC or Nvidia Shield TV.

To see what Plex is playing on the PS4 there should be a Playback Info option on the OSD while watching the media.

post #1859 of 2784 Old 01-17-2017, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Interesting that you're getting inconsistent results with bitstreaming Atmos. Atmos should work if you can bitstream TrueHD. What Plex client are you using on your HTPC? I'm using OpenPHT and in audio I have the devices set to WASAPI: Denon for my receiver and just checked all the boxes for Dolby, TrueHD, DTS, and DTS-HD. I haven't had an issue with my X1300W and 5.1.2 setup yet, although I haven't tested it too much since I just started using OpenPHT recently. Before I was just using MPC-HC which worked great but wasn't remote/user friendly.

On another note, does DTS-HD, TrueHD, and Atmos work well/at all over remote streaming? I've never tried but I've always been curious. The audio streams are pretty data heavy so I'd imagine you'd need a decent amount of bandwidth both ways.

Last edited by Topper59; 01-17-2017 at 06:42 AM.
post #1860 of 2784 Old 01-17-2017, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topper59 View Post
On another note, does DTS-HD, TrueHD, and Atmos work well/at all over remote streaming? I've never tried but I've always been curious. The audio streams are pretty data heavy so I'd imagine you'd need a decent amount of bandwidth both ways.
Yes they work, but it depends on your upstream speed on the server side and download speed on the remote side of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page