Plex Discussion Thread - Page 70 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 305Likes

post #2071 of 2644 Old 12-17-2017, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2242 Post(s)
Liked: 2463
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
The server and the Shield appear to be seeing each other, but the Shield can't detect the server as being online.
Maybe your router or a firewall is blocking port 32400?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2644 Old 12-17-2017, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Maybe your router or a firewall is blocking port 32400?
I don't know why it would be unless it's configured that way by default. I've never done anything to my router to block any ports. I'll have to figure out how to get into my router so I can check it.
post #2073 of 2644 Old 12-17-2017, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't know why it would be unless it's configured that way by default. I've never done anything to my router to block any ports. I'll have to figure out how to get into my router so I can check it.
I never used Unraid so I'm not sure what Linux commands are available to you. I'd try opening a terminal and run:
nc -z -v <server.ip.address> <port>

On my system that would look like
Code:
nc -z -v 192.168.1.16 32400
If closed it would report:
nc: connect to 192.168.1.16 port 32400 (tcp) failed: Connection refused

If open it would report:
Connection to 192.168.1.16 32400 port [tcp/*] succeeded!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2074 of 2644 Old 12-17-2017, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I never used Unraid so I'm not sure what Linux commands are available to you. I'd try opening a terminal and run:
nc -z -v <server.ip.address> <port>

On my system that would look like
Code:
nc -z -v 192.168.1.16 32400
If closed it would report:
nc: connect to 192.168.1.16 port 32400 (tcp) failed: Connection refused

If open it would report:
Connection to 192.168.1.16 32400 port [tcp/*] succeeded!
I tried running that command directly on the server as well as via telnet using TeraTerm and from a DOS command prompt on my Windows 10 PC with no luck. I always got an error indicating that the command "nc" was not recognized. UnRAID runs on Free BSD if that makes any difference.

I connected to my router and couldn't find any indication that the port is being blocked. I pretty much have everything left at the default settings except for the router's IP address.
post #2075 of 2644 Old 12-17-2017, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I tried running that command directly on the server as well as via telnet using TeraTerm and from a DOS command prompt on my Windows 10 PC with no luck. I always got an error indicating that the command "nc" was not recognized. UnRAID runs on Free BSD if that makes any difference.
I wouldn't think that command would do anything in a DOS prompt on Windows. In a Linux terminal try putting "sudo" before the command.
sudo nc -z -v 192.168.1.16 32400
post #2076 of 2644 Old 12-18-2017, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm trying a different approach and using the Shield as the Plex server. I should be able to configure the unRAID server as external storage this way. The Shield can see the server using this configuration, but I still have a few kinks to work out as I haven't really had much time to work with it and complete the setup. If this setup works I will probably get a lifetime Plex Pass so I can add live TV and the DVR functions. If everything goes well I may consider replacing all of my HTPCs with additional Shields.
post #2077 of 2644 Old 12-18-2017, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
I'm trying a different approach and using the Shield as the Plex server. I should be able to configure the unRAID server as external storage this way. The Shield can see the server using this configuration, but I still have a few kinks to work out as I haven't really had much time to work with it and complete the setup. If this setup works I will probably get a lifetime Plex Pass so I can add live TV and the DVR functions. If everything goes well I may consider replacing all of my HTPCs with additional Shields.
If you have an unraid server why not run one plex server dockers?

"You’re KILLIN’ ME Smalls! "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #2078 of 2644 Old 12-18-2017, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post
If you have an unraid server why not run one plex server dockers?
If you've read my previous posts you'd know that I tried that and my Shield isn't seeing the server as being online. The Plex linuxserver.io docker is installed in unRAID and the libraries have all been updated. The Shield just doesn't see any of them for some reason. I figured I'd try a different approach and see if it works.

Eureka! I got it working. The Plex linuxserver.io docker is working fine and I was finally able to get the Shield to see the server. I had to sign out of my Plex account on the Shield and re-link it via the URL and 4-character code provided when the Plex app is first started. When Plex was re-linked to my account and I continued on to the next page my populated library showed up and I could play media from each of my shares. The huge plus is that I can play my 4k UHD Blu-Ray rips without having to reconfigure the Shark007 codecs on my HTPC and play them using MPC-BE. It looks like I'm going to have to splurge and get a Plex Pass so I can set up live TV and the DVR function. If I can get that working I can retire my HTPCs. It looks like I may have finally found my all-in-one solution for all of my media.

Last edited by captain_video; 12-18-2017 at 01:56 PM.
post #2079 of 2644 Old 12-18-2017, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Did you also try this troubleshooting guide - https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/art...-Media-Server-

Also did you do some basics of rebooting everything including your router. It usually isn't this difficult to get it up and running.

Also maybe just as a test could you load Plex server on a windows machine and see if the Sheild sees it on that? Might help with troubleshooting if something else is going on.

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #2080 of 2644 Old 12-18-2017, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Did you also try this troubleshooting guide - https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/art...-Media-Server-

Also did you do some basics of rebooting everything including your router. It usually isn't this difficult to get it up and running.

Also maybe just as a test could you load Plex server on a windows machine and see if the Sheild sees it on that? Might help with troubleshooting if something else is going on.
It's working now. It was just a simply matter of signing out of the Plex app and re-linking it to my Plex account. Once I did that everything worked fine.
post #2081 of 2644 Old 12-18-2017, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah I missed your update there. Great glad it's working.

I just got the plexpass but haven't played with the livetv/dvr part yet. I also want to see how well the commercial remover works. Right now I use MCEbuddy for that part and it drops all my shows onto the unraid server.

I still have my HTCP for DVR - Windows 7 using WMC. I may try to test out a show with plex but haven't had the time yet. I actually purchased this to test it out with plex as well - HDHomeRun - Connect Quatro Tuner.

So far the sheild/plex have been a great combo for the family and I.

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #2082 of 2644 Old 12-18-2017, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1754 Post(s)
Liked: 790
Quote:
If you've read my previous posts you'd know that I tried that and my Shield isn't seeing the server as being online. The Plex linuxserver.io docker is installed in unRAID and the libraries have all been updated. The Shield just doesn't see any of them for some reason. I figured I'd try a different approach and see if it works.

Eureka! I got it working. The Plex linuxserver.io docker is working fine and I was finally able to get the Shield to see the server. I had to sign out of my Plex account on the Shield and re-link it via the URL and 4-character code provided when the Plex app is first started. When Plex was re-linked to my account and I continued on to the next page my populated library showed up and I could play media from each of my shares. The huge plus is that I can play my 4k UHD Blu-Ray rips without having to reconfigure the Shark007 codecs on my HTPC and play them using MPC-BE. It looks like I'm going to have to splurge and get a Plex Pass so I can set up live TV and the DVR function. If I can get that working I can retire my HTPCs. It looks like I may have finally found my all-in-one solution for all of my media.
Not that you shouldn't support Plex by buying the Pass, but their TV setup sort of sucks.

With the Shield you are better off using the built in Live TV app which can also act as a DVR. Plus it uses a better grid guide layout.

You just need a HD Homerun.

post #2083 of 2644 Old 12-19-2017, 04:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
Not that you shouldn't support Plex by buying the Pass, but their TV setup sort of sucks.

With the Shield you are better off using the built in Live TV app which can also act as a DVR. Plus it uses a better grid guide layout.

You just need a HD Homerun.
I already have a HD HomeRun Prime that I use for watching live TV on my remote HTPC/TV setups. The Shield would let me watch live TV, access media from my server using Plex, and stream from online providers. It will be perfect for my remote TVs as a replacement for my NUCs. I don't need the DVR function for those TVs. I saw that they now offer the Shield with just the remote and no game controller so I ordered two of them from Newegg. I'll use my existing Shield with Plex for watching 4K movies and streamed content and my WMC HTPC for recording shows. I don't see any need to purchase a Plex Pass at this time.

I also got the Plex channel installed on my Roku, but it has a lot to be desired. When I select a 4k movie from my server it sits there and buffers until it reaches 100% before it starts to play. If I back out of it and restart it the process begins all over again. There's no buffering or any type of delay with the Shield. It just starts playing. That prompted me to get two more Shields instead of using a HTPC/Roku combo.

Last edited by captain_video; 12-19-2017 at 05:11 AM.
post #2084 of 2644 Old 12-19-2017, 05:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with using a My Cloud Pro PR2100 as a Plex server. My current server is on a 2009 iMac and an 8TB hard drive. It works ok provided that it doesn't need to do any intensive encoding but I'd like more storage and using this NAS as a server is interesting.

I've seen some videos of a guy running 4 different streams of 1080p content and the CPU was under 100%. I'm also wondering how it would do with streaming 4K content.
post #2085 of 2644 Old 12-19-2017, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1945 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Engel View Post
I've seen some videos of a guy running 4 different streams of 1080p content and the CPU was under 100%. I'm also wondering how it would do with streaming 4K content.
That depends. If you are streaming to a Shield on a 4k TV where transcoding isn't required, the NAS will be sitting at almost idle. If you are streaming a 4k movie with lossless audio to a Roku 3 on a 1080p TV and listening on the TV's speakers, then encoding will be needed, and that's when you start impacting the CPU. Do this to several steams at once, and now you are making it work. Make sense?

Here's Lon's review.

azz7686 likes this.
post #2086 of 2644 Old 12-21-2017, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah I missed your update there. Great glad it's working.

I just got the plexpass but haven't played with the livetv/dvr part yet. I also want to see how well the commercial remover works. Right now I use MCEbuddy for that part and it drops all my shows onto the unraid server.

I still have my HTCP for DVR - Windows 7 using WMC. I may try to test out a show with plex but haven't had the time yet. I actually purchased this to test it out with plex as well - HDHomeRun - Connect Quatro Tuner.

So far the sheild/plex have been a great combo for the family and I.
Let us know how the DVR function works. I haven't seen any screen shots for using it so they would be appreciated as well. I wasn't aware that it had a commercial cutting feature so I'd love to hear about that.

I'm using the live TV feature on the Shield with my HDHomeRun Prime tuner and it works great. Even though there's no direct channel input using the remote, it scrolls through the channels really fast so it doesn't take long to access the one you want. For the time being I plan to keep using my Win 7 WMC HTPC as my DVR since it's the only DVR used in my house anyway.

Last edited by captain_video; 12-21-2017 at 05:26 AM.
post #2087 of 2644 Old 12-23-2017, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 131
All I want for Christmas is Plex DVR on my Roku (I'm on Plex Pass)!

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis
post #2088 of 2644 Old 12-24-2017, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Merry Xmas to All,
And all I want for Xmas is to get my PLEX server working again, please see below:

"I have had some success using PLEX to stream a movie from my PC to my ipad. This was promising enough that I purchased a 1 month Plex pass, then later on was prompted to download the newest PLEX server version,

AND now the trouble begins. My PC is no longer showing as a device on my plex page, and when I launch PLEX i just get the spinning wheel "searching for a server" . Tried uninstalling and reinstalling PLEX server (several times) but no luck - can't get my PC to show as a PLEX device"

This a huge thread perhaps someone can point me to a fix
Thanks in Advance, and Happy Holidays

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09
post #2089 of 2644 Old 12-24-2017, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1754 Post(s)
Liked: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post
Merry Xmas to All,
And all I want for Xmas is to get my PLEX server working again, please see below:

"I have had some success using PLEX to stream a movie from my PC to my ipad. This was promising enough that I purchased a 1 month Plex pass, then later on was prompted to download the newest PLEX server version,

AND now the trouble begins. My PC is no longer showing as a device on my plex page, and when I launch PLEX i just get the spinning wheel "searching for a server" . Tried uninstalling and reinstalling PLEX server (several times) but no luck - can't get my PC to show as a PLEX device"

This a huge thread perhaps someone can point me to a fix
Thanks in Advance, and Happy Holidays
Try logging out of your client and logging back in. Plex has been messing with the authentication system lately.

post #2090 of 2644 Old 12-24-2017, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
Try logging out of your client and logging back in. Plex has been messing with the authentication system lately.
bryans,

Thanks for the quick suggestion. Tried logging out, and back in on my client (ipad) and no change.
Then logged out of the client, and experimented with logging out and back in on the PLEX server on my PC, got the same message "searching for server". Checked my devices and the only 1 device showing; the browser I used to log in on ??

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
post #2091 of 2644 Old 12-27-2017, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Has anything changed on your PCs or network lately? I had a similar issue and it all came down to a DNS issue on the Plex server. It was odd, my tablets and phones would work, but my laptop could not. It also blocked out remote access, even though the DNS config was in a working state, just not what the network expected - it was pointed to Google's DNS rather than my domain's DNS.
post #2092 of 2644 Old 12-27-2017, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
bryans,

Thanks for the quick suggestion. Tried logging out, and back in on my client (ipad) and no change.
Then logged out of the client, and experimented with logging out and back in on the PLEX server on my PC, got the same message "searching for server". Checked my devices and the only 1 device showing; the browser I used to log in on ??
So today I had some success;
I had to COMPLETELY** remove my original installation of PLEX server, and then do a fresh install, and now it seems to be working. **A complete reinstall means emptying the "PLEX directory", and "editing the registry", to remove all previous "evidence" of PLEX. A simple windows un-install was not enough

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
post #2093 of 2644 Old 12-28-2017, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So today I had some success;
I had to COMPLETELY** remove my original installation of PLEX server, and then do a fresh install, and now it seems to be working. **A complete reinstall means emptying the "PLEX directory", and "editing the registry", to remove all previous "evidence" of PLEX. A simple windows un-install was not enough
And a PLEX question:

Will Plex recognize and create libraries for FLAC music files

1) I have an MP3 directory
2) and a separate FLAC directory

for some reason I cannot create a PLEX library for #2

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
post #2094 of 2644 Old 12-28-2017, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 809
Quote:
Will Plex recognize and create libraries for FLAC music files
I use Plex Media Server on my ODROID-XU4 and it recognizes all of my FLAC media (stored locally - ripped via a Ubuntu app). I have installed PMS on many Ubuntu installations and again it works great accessing the files residing on the XU4 (mounted as a local drive).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	48
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	2336632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled1.png
Views:	38
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	2336636  

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |

Last edited by Charles R; 12-28-2017 at 01:18 PM.
post #2095 of 2644 Old 01-04-2018, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
I use Plex Media Server on my ODROID-XU4 and it recognizes all of my FLAC media (stored locally - ripped via a Ubuntu app). I have installed PMS on many Ubuntu installations and again it works great accessing the files residing on the XU4 (mounted as a local drive).
Charles,
Thanks for confirming that is possible. I need to revisit this to see what I am doing wrong

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
post #2096 of 2644 Old 01-05-2018, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I know this thread discussion is mostly about Plex server, but I have an issue with Plex player app on Android TV (Shield Pro).

When playing video from PC Plex server using Plex app on the Shield (Gb LAN wired), if I pause and walk away for a time, the screen first goes into ChromeCast-style screen saver mode, then eventually blanks completely if left alone long enough. After hitting a remote button in either screen-saving mode, screen comes back in file listing. Hit play on current file, and almost always starts from beginning. This sometimes happens even when hitting stop or back button and then attempting to resume at later time.

When using Kodi media player and same screen timeout(s) happen, kicks back to file listing but resumes properly.

FWIW, Plex app on Roku never had this issue, and always just stayed paused, no matter how long we were away.

Anyone else have this problem? Comments / suggestions?
post #2097 of 2644 Old 01-08-2018, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If I pause on my Shields, it will eventually drop out of the playback mode and into where you choose to play it again. I believe you are saying the same thing. From there, I tell it to play, and it asks me if I want to start from beginning or resume from where I left off. I have not ever had the problem you are describing (force playback from beginning) and if I did, I would not be happy.
post #2098 of 2644 Old 01-09-2018, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It looks like Plex will be adding podcasts and web series.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/08/po...digital-media/
post #2099 of 2644 Old 01-09-2018, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Has anyone used the Plex integration for Google Assistant? Does it work at all from Google Home or only within an android TV device?

I can get my Google Home to respond and recognize a title within my Plex server but it always says, "I also need to know what device to use" ... there is never a device name it recognizes in my experience and it won't queue up any dialog to select one either like Alexa does. Sucks given that Echo products are inferior--for our usage--in every other way, and I'd much prefer to replace them if I could get this piece working
post #2100 of 2644 Old 01-10-2018, 04:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintE View Post
When playing video from PC Plex server using Plex app on the Shield (Gb LAN wired), if I pause and walk away for a time, the screen first goes into ChromeCast-style screen saver mode, then eventually blanks completely if left alone long enough. After hitting a remote button in either screen-saving mode, screen comes back in file listing. Hit play on current file, and almost always starts from beginning. This sometimes happens even when hitting stop or back button and then attempting to resume at later time.

Anyone else have this problem? Comments / suggestions?
Sometimes there are two "Play" arrows, the top play arrow that is just the Play arrow starts the movie from the beginning. The next one down has a vertical line and then a play arrow, will resume the movie from where left off.

I use my Plex on multiple different devices (including a Shield in my main theater), so, don't recall which versions do which things, but the above is something I talked with my wife about a month ago that she didn't realize what the difference was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page