Plex Discussion Thread - Page 71 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 314Likes

post #2101 of 2677 Old 01-10-2018, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
Sometimes there are two "Play" arrows, the top play arrow that is just the Play arrow starts the movie from the beginning. The next one down has a vertical line and then a play arrow, will resume the movie from where left off.

I use my Plex on multiple different devices (including a Shield in my main theater), so, don't recall which versions do which things, but the above is something I talked with my wife about a month ago that she didn't realize what the difference was.
Yes, I know what you're saying. That's in the info screen after you hit ok on the file. I was talking about when you just hit play while on the screen with all files. When doing that, it should give the option of either resuming or starting from beginning. Most of the time it would just start at beginning of file like it was never played before.

I'm liking the Kodi player because the function above works all the time (so far) and I really like the way it handles ff / rw compared to Plex player. Very nice when skipping the beginning of a series episode and going right to where it actually starts (skip the "...previously on <series name>" crap).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2102 of 2677 Old 01-22-2018, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I want Plex DVR on my Roku!!!!!

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis
post #2103 of 2677 Old 01-23-2018, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked: 427
I'm still getting my feet wet with Plex. I've got it set up on my unRAID server and use it in conjunction with my Nvidia Shields. Is there any setting to make the libraries update automatically when you add or delete anything from a library? Anytime I add music or videos to the library I have to manually update it before I can access it from one of the Shields.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2104 of 2677 Old 01-23-2018, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2303 Post(s)
Liked: 2620
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
Is there any setting to make the libraries update automatically when you add or delete anything from a library?
Go to Settings, Server then pick Library from the left column, then check "Update my library automatically".
post #2105 of 2677 Old 01-23-2018, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Go to Settings, Server then pick Library from the left column, then check "Update my library automatically".
Great. Thanks. I figured there had to be a setting for that, but I probably looked right past it when I was trying to find it. I think I was trying to do it from the Shield and not the web UI.
post #2106 of 2677 Old 01-26-2018, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
Great. Thanks. I figured there had to be a setting for that, but I probably looked right past it when I was trying to find it. I think I was trying to do it from the Shield and not the web UI.
If your library uses a UNC path (\\drobo5n\xxxx) instead of a local path (D:\xxxx), Plex may not detect the change to automatically add new content. In this case you need to run a manual scan every time.

Media Computer Specs
ASUS H87M-E....Intel i7-4770 Haswell....Intel Network Adapter....8GB RAM....Win7 WMC.....Plex....Drobo 5N....Drobo Gen2
post #2107 of 2677 Old 01-26-2018, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDragonLord View Post
If your library uses a UNC path (\\drobo5n\xxxx) instead of a local path (D:\xxxx), Plex may not detect the change to automatically add new content. In this case you need to run a manual scan every time.
That appears to be what's happening in my case. I have shares set up in unRAID (\\tower\Music, \\tower\Movies, etc.). The folders for the shares are located on all drives across the array (currently at 28 data drives). When I add content to a share it automatically copies it to the drive with the most free space. All content within the share appears inside a single folder mapped to my PC or the Shield.

I just checked the Plex web UI and the boxes for automatically scanning for updates were unchecked. Either I forgot to check them or they somehow became unchecked. I'll have to look at it again later to make sure the settings stick.
post #2108 of 2677 Old 02-15-2018, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 22
It happened again! Long story short, my 15 yo came to the desktop and accidentally logged me off, to get into her profile (Win 10), which is where the Plex server resides and was DVRing HER show (The Amazing Race (and it was a 2 hr episode)). Each kid has a their own laptop and we have a network printer, yet they refuse to let me add the printer software to their laptops forcing them to run to the desktop every time they want to print.

I am going to build a server specifically to hold Plex and all of our media (video, audio, photo). I am going to use an Intel i5-8600K Coffee Lake 6-core 3.6GHz with Intel UHD Graphics 630; 16GB memory and an ASRock mb with HDMI that supports 4K UHD Does any one see ANY reason why I may want to add a video card?
post #2109 of 2677 Old 02-15-2018, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic26 View Post
It happened again! Long story short, my 15 yo came to the desktop and accidentally logged me off, to get into her profile (Win 10), which is where the Plex server resides and was DVRing HER show (The Amazing Race (and it was a 2 hr episode)). Each kid has a their own laptop and we have a network printer, yet they refuse to let me add the printer software to their laptops forcing them to run to the desktop every time they want to print.

I am going to build a server specifically to hold Plex and all of our media (video, audio, photo). I am going to use an Intel i5-8600K Coffee Lake 6-core 3.6GHz with Intel UHD Graphics 630; 16GB memory and an ASRock mb with HDMI that supports 4K UHD Does any one see ANY reason why I may want to add a video card?
https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/93...service/p1#top

-------
Cord Cutter | OTA - NYC DMA - 10 HDHomerun Tuners - 6 Apple TV's with Channels DVR | Plex Pass | Netflix | Amazon Prime Video | ESPN+ | Disney+ | Apple TV+ | Fios Gigabit with Ubiquiti Unifi Enterprise Network/Wifi/Surveillance System
post #2110 of 2677 Old 02-15-2018, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
If I'm reading this correctly, I should put Plex on the second HDD on the computer? Then it just runs as a service even if no one is logged onto the computer?
post #2111 of 2677 Old 02-15-2018, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
If I'm reading this correctly, I should put Plex on the second HDD on the computer? Then it just runs as a service even if no one is logged onto the computer?
no, you read it wrong: [WARNING] Read below if you intend to change the service account

or parent your kids that they have no choice but to print of their laptops. besides, you dont need to install printer software, just share the printer....its probably to complicated for you and im sorry, i dont have the energy to walk you through printer networking and sharing. google can help you.

-------
Cord Cutter | OTA - NYC DMA - 10 HDHomerun Tuners - 6 Apple TV's with Channels DVR | Plex Pass | Netflix | Amazon Prime Video | ESPN+ | Disney+ | Apple TV+ | Fios Gigabit with Ubiquiti Unifi Enterprise Network/Wifi/Surveillance System
post #2112 of 2677 Old 02-15-2018, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
no, you read it wrong: [WARNING] Read below if you intend to change the service account

or parent your kids that they have no choice but to print of their laptops. besides, you dont need to install printer software, just share the printer....its probably to complicated for you and im sorry, i dont have the energy to walk you through printer networking and sharing. google can help you.
Aero 1, thank you for at least trying. I have a person who works in software professionally. I'll see if I can get him over here to figure the service account. As for the printers, I just figured it out on my wife's Win 10 laptop. Like it or not, it's getting done on the other 2 laptops tonight.
post #2113 of 2677 Old 02-16-2018, 05:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank you Areo 1. I installed it last night, ran a couple tests and it's now running as a service. Problems almost solved (for another thread about the printer).
Aero 1 likes this.
post #2114 of 2677 Old 02-23-2018, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I'm only interested in streaming music files saved on my external hard drive through my Oppo BDP 205. Does the FREE version of Plex have a playlist option on iPad where I my alphabetically listed FLAC files will play my entire collection randomly but keep the song list in alphabetical order?

I already have JRiver. There is a "shuffle" option but then the entire song list is random so it takes forever to search for a certain track. I see no option to keep the song list alphabetical & play songs randomly.

I have no interest in steaming Movies or photos, only music so I'm wondering if the free version will suit my needs.

Thanks in advance and I hope I accurately described my dilemma accurately.

Mains: Revel Salon2's powered by ATI AT6002
Center: Revel C208
Surrounds: Revel F208
SW: SVS PB 13 Ultra
Amp: Emotiva XPR5 (surrounds & center)
LG 65 B6P & EF9500

Last edited by steady teddy; 02-23-2018 at 11:32 AM.
post #2115 of 2677 Old 02-23-2018, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 1202
Quote:
Originally Posted by steady teddy View Post
I'm only interested in streaming music files saved on my external hard drive through my Oppo BDP 205. Does the FREE version of Plex have a playlist option on iPad where I my alphabetically listed FLAC files will play my entire collection randomly but keep the song list in alphabetical order?

I already have JRiver. There is a "shuffle" option but then the entire song list is random so it takes forever to search for a certain track. I see no option to keep the song list alphabetical & play songs randomly.

I have no interest in steaming Movies or photos, only music so I'm wondering if the free version will suit my needs.

Thanks in advance and I hope I accurately described my dilemma accurately.
I don't have an Oppo. I do use PLEX for music only. It is the free version and will allow you to shuffle play your entire collection, or playlists. You can navigate your collection by artist, song, or album. You can also filter different genres if tagged.
post #2116 of 2677 Old 02-24-2018, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 296
The LG plex app yields impressive video quality with .mkv files. I have an LG OLED 65 e6p. For anyone with a capable LG TV I encourage you to give the LG app a try

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #2117 of 2677 Old 02-24-2018, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

I just attempted to update my server to 1.11.3.4803. 1) I shut the Plex service off. 2) I started the server in a browser. 3)Went to settings and clicked download update (it told me to update manually). 4) Went to plex.tv, downloaded, updated and received successful update message when done. When I try to open plex in the browser I get "404 page not found". I tried logging off and back in, no go. I tried restarting Plex Service, no go. The Windows 10 App and the Roku boxes are seeing the server, just not the web browser.
post #2118 of 2677 Old 02-24-2018, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
The LG plex app yields impressive video quality with .mkv files. I have an LG OLED 65 e6p. For anyone with a capable LG TV I encourage you to give the LG app a try
The problem with a TV app is with audio. ARC doesn't support the lossless formats so you won't be able to direct play UHD (and many Blu-ray) remuxes.

post #2119 of 2677 Old 02-24-2018, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just attempted to update my server to 1.11.3.4803. 1) I shut the Plex service off. 2) I started the server in a browser. 3)Went to settings and clicked download update (it told me to update manually). 4) Went to plex.tv, downloaded, updated and received successful update message when done. When I try to open plex in the browser I get "404 page not found". I tried logging off and back in, no go. I tried restarting Plex Service, no go. The Windows 10 App and the Roku boxes are seeing the server, just not the web browser.

post #2120 of 2677 Old 02-24-2018, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2303 Post(s)
Liked: 2620
Quote:
If logging in at plex.tv doesn't work try entering the ip address and port of your plex server directly into the browser. My server is on 192.168.1.16 so for me the URL would look like this:
Code:
http://192.168.1.16:32400/web/index.html
post #2121 of 2677 Old 02-24-2018, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
The problem with a TV app is with audio. ARC doesn't support the lossless formats so you won't be able to direct play UHD (and many Blu-ray) remuxes.
At this point I have not backed up any UHD discs in .mkv format. While your point about audio is significant I am pleased with the results. I have a 7.1 audio system but not specifically atmos. I may be getting 5.1 and not 7.1 but my Yamaha TSR-7810 no longer posts what it is receiving. However, if Plex audio is not adequate for you I don't dispute your conclusion.

Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #2122 of 2677 Old 02-24-2018, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
At this point I have not backed up any UHD discs in .mkv format. While your point about audio is significant I am pleased with the results. I have a 7.1 audio system but not specifically atmos. I may be getting 5.1 and not 7.1 but my Yamaha TSR-7810 no longer posts what it is receiving. However, if Plex audio is not adequate for you I don't dispute your conclusion.
I have no problem with Plex audio. I feed the Plex client (Shield) directly into my AVR for full support of the media's audio track. Using the TV's app (I have a LG OLED with Plex) would mean losing TrueHD and DTS-MA playback and relying on the DD and DTS core tracks to be passed through to my AVR over ARC from the TV.

The Plex TV app would be fine with a soundbar or built-in speakers without an AVR in the loop. ARC 2.0 should finally support lossless audio codecs, but it isn't available yet.

post #2123 of 2677 Old 02-24-2018, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 317
I just tried the plex app on my LG and wow is it slow..... to the point where it wouldn't even load a movie or a TV show....

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
post #2124 of 2677 Old 02-24-2018, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
If logging in at plex.tv doesn't work try entering the ip address and port of your plex server directly into the browser. My server is on 192.168.1.16 so for me the URL would look like this:
Code:
http://192.168.1.16:32400/web/index.html
Launching from Plex.tv worked but I could not see the server settings. I tried a reinstall, the options were repair, or, uninstall. Naturally I tried repair and it got stuck near the end. I wound up looking at the task manager. There were multiple instances running. I ended all of them, made sure the Plex Service was stopped and Plex update service was running and tried again. SUCCESS!! Having it run as a service is nice. The downside is the learning curve when you need it running in the browser. Thanks for the suggestions.
post #2125 of 2677 Old 02-24-2018, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have no problem with Plex audio. I feed the Plex client (Shield) directly into my AVR for full support of the media's audio track. Using the TV's app (I have a LG OLED with Plex) would mean losing TrueHD and DTS-MA playback and relying on the DD and DTS core tracks to be passed through to my AVR over ARC from the TV.

The Plex TV app would be fine with a soundbar or built-in speakers without an AVR in the loop. ARC 2.0 should finally support lossless audio codecs, but it isn't available yet.
eARC will be helpful when available. I have been using the LG plex app for a short time. I am no expert. Last night I was playing Fellowship of the Rings from a .mkv file with 5.1 flac audio. There is no doubt in my mind that I was getting proper 5.1 audio but I have no way to determine if I am getting True HD or DTS-MA but probably not since I am playing 5.1 flac. I am porting the audio to my Yamaha AVR. The computer is not controlling the audio which I deduce by right clicking the speaker on the acer monitor and checking the audio devices.

My computer is Kaby Lake running under Windows 10. My GPU is a Radeon RX580. I could run a HDMI cable from the computer to the OLED 65 e6p and run plex from the computer. But as people are reporting that they cannot get atmos under windows 10.

So, I am unsure that changing will yield better results.

Last edited by Postmoderndesign; 02-24-2018 at 12:16 PM.
post #2126 of 2677 Old 02-24-2018, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy77 View Post
I just tried the plex app on my LG and wow is it slow..... to the point where it wouldn't even load a movie or a TV show....
The LG plex app does not run slow for me. I am not disputing your experience.

It might be worth you time to uninstall the Plex app and then reinstall it.
Waterboy77 likes this.

post #2127 of 2677 Old 02-24-2018, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
The LG plex app does not run slow for me. I am not disputing your experience.

It might be worth you time to uninstall the Plex app and then reinstall it.
I'll give it a try

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
post #2128 of 2677 Old 02-25-2018, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 131
So when are we going to get the Plex DVR on our Roku's??????

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis
post #2129 of 2677 Old 03-01-2018, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simandl View Post
So when are we going to get the Plex DVR on our Roku's??????
If you have PlexPass; you can watch live TV now on Roku, as well as watch DVRd programs. It's been around since October 2017

But if you want to schedule/initiate recordings on the Roku- no new news on when that's coming. ("eventually added"is the last I read in October) But I suspect it may require a rewrite/re-think of the Plex Roku app.
post #2130 of 2677 Old 03-09-2018, 10:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2280 Post(s)
Liked: 1403
Before I go through the trouble of installing it to kick the tires, can anyone tell me if the Plex client app for the PS-4 will direct play a full bitrate BD rip and pass the HD audio bitstream to the AVR without having the server transcode it?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page