Plex Discussion Thread - Page 73 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 284Likes

post #2161 of 2583 Old 07-01-2018, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Free apps, mobile sync, Plex home, premium music (mostly for the lyrics), and movie extras.
Thanks..... Plex Home???? never heard of it before

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 2583 Old 07-01-2018, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2214 Post(s)
Liked: 2421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy77 View Post
Thanks..... Plex Home???? never heard of it before
https://support.plex.tv/articles/203...-is-plex-home/
Waterboy77 likes this.
post #2163 of 2583 Old 07-02-2018, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
I bought a lifetime Plex Pass back in 2013 when the price was $75. I had been freeloading for a few years and just wanted to support them. I usually donate to free software projects that I find useful.
Quote:
Ya I've been freeloading also....
What do you find really useful about the paid offerings?
I did a month free trial of PlexPass after years of free loading but decided I'd just stick with Emby. About a month after I cancelled the free trial, Plex tossed me a code for lifetime for $75. I did not hesitate and now have PlexPass..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2164 of 2583 Old 07-03-2018, 10:19 AM

Okay so my PC running Plex Server is an i5 4690k Devil's Canyon Win7Pro x64 with 16 Gb RAM. This is in addition to my comparable HTPC with 12 Gb RAM that runs WMC and extenders as well as my Emby Server which typically has CPU usage less than 25% when Emby is transcoding.

I run Plex Server, Blue Iris Server and have 18Tb of storage on the first mentioned PC. The second is destined to be removed from my Family Room as I now exclusively use the ShieldTV for most content except WMC on a Ceton Echo Extender.

I just got PlexPass for $75 Lifetime a few months ago so before then I wasn't using the LiveTV / DVR functions. Now I am and my CPU is maxed out at 90% to 100% when recording or running ComSkip with the top process being Plex Transcoder and Plex ComSkip. After that it is BlueIris and BlueIris Tools.

Playback of stored content on this PC is beginning to suffer due to CPU overload I believe so I'm considering moving my Plex Server to either my ShieldTV (2015 16Gb), the HTPC or to barely used NUC5i3RYH that has a 250Gb SSD and 8Gb RAM.

Thoughts? Recommendations? My gut says to put it on the HTPC or maybe the i3 that is basically never really used over putting it on the ShieldTV.

How to easily move the server configuration from a PC to a Shield or another PC? Of course I know I'll need to re-do my library and recording drive pointers but what about the rest of the configuration data?

TIA

post #2165 of 2583 Old 07-10-2018, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked: 625
First off, Blue Iris is a real CPU hog, especially if you haven't tuned it properly (it doesn't come tuned out of the box). Things like turning down the framerate to just what you really need (I record 4 fps and it worked out perfectly when I needed data for the law enforcement - yes they caught him), also make sure you are recording in Blue Iris DVR format - you have to set this for each camera independently. Go to Camera Properties, Record tab, then the Video File format and compression button at the bottom right.

But your biggest problem is what you've already discovered. Comskip (and MCEBuddy on a PC) eat processor time for lunch. On MCEBuddy, you can turn it down, but it really isn't all that useful in my experience.

This is why I have all my machines split out. I have Blue Iris on a PC (virtual, but still) that isn't doing anything else other than being my primary domain controller and performs workstation backups. MCEBuddy is on my Windows 7 VM which also is my DVR. Plex is on an entirely different server VM, so that my other applications don't bug Plex Media Server, and PMS doesn't bug them.

Moving Plex Server isn't hard at all. The main thing you will suffer from is that you lose track of where you were regarding partially or completely watched shows.

Last edited by TornadoTJ; 07-10-2018 at 09:10 AM.
post #2166 of 2583 Old 07-10-2018, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
... you lose track of where you were regarding partially or completely watched shows.
Use the Trakt plugin to backup your watched status, then restore onto the new PMS.
https://github.com/trakt/Plex-Trakt-Scrobbler

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
post #2167 of 2583 Old 07-10-2018, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotShorty View Post
Use the Trakt plugin to backup your watched status, then restore onto the new PMS.
https://github.com/trakt/Plex-Trakt-Scrobbler
I was never able to get it to work properly - but that was years ago and when I was trying to sync Emby and Plex. I need to try it again, thanks for the reminder.
post #2168 of 2583 Old 07-10-2018, 10:12 AM

BTW, I have BlueIris "optimized" and use BVR format as well as run it minimized unless needing to access the console. Great program but it is a resource hog. I cut it some slack because processing video from several cameras at once will take resources by default.

I tried to move my Plex Server per instructions on Plex Forums when I asked there. I probably did something wrong and wasn't very successful since my folders were local and not network shares so I just started over on the other PC and am almost done. My library is actually cleaner now and I'm going to fix it up in Emby too.

No great loss as the watched status was light because I've only been "using" Plex for 2 months since they threw me a $75 lifetime. I've had it for years just kinda sitting there but never really used it as I got in on Emby early at $10 lifetime.

I've shut down the Plex Server on my PC and left it for BlueIris and some 'unmentionable' nzb things.. Clock ticks are under control on both machines now..

Now to tweak Plex so it isn't storing metadata et al on my SSD and all will be well!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited by Sammy2; 07-10-2018 at 10:17 AM.
post #2169 of 2583 Old 07-10-2018, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't store Plex stuff on my SSD either, but I have had corruption issues on some drives, I have no idea why. I can tell you that it does NOT like StableBit Drive Pool drives, but why it doesn't work on other drives I have that aren't pooled I have no idea.

BI runs "closed" on my server, it's just a background service. Before I moved here, I had 15 cameras on it. It kept that VM at a steady 50% utilization. I'll probably never have anymore than 3-4 here, I'm now in a zero crime area. I mainly have them up for play now. Can you say "goat cam"?
post #2170 of 2583 Old 07-10-2018, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
I did a month free trial of PlexPass after years of free loading but decided I'd just stick with Emby. About a month after I cancelled the free trial, Plex tossed me a code for lifetime for $75. I did not hesitate and now have PlexPass..
What do you get from PlexPass?
post #2171 of 2583 Old 07-10-2018, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda15 View Post
What do you get from PlexPass?

The two things I enjoy from PlexPass is the beta updates and the sharing of your server with family and friends.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #2172 of 2583 Old 07-10-2018, 05:41 PM

Live TV DVR, out of network streaming to apps and quick switching users are other things one gets with PlexPass. Used to get access to PlexPass Forums.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

post #2173 of 2583 Old 07-10-2018, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
First off, Blue Iris is a real CPU hog, especially if you haven't tuned it properly (it doesn't come tuned out of the box). Things like turning down the framerate to just what you really need (I record 4 fps and it worked out perfectly when I needed data for the law enforcement - yes they caught him), also make sure you are recording in Blue Iris DVR format - you have to set this for each camera independently. Go to Camera Properties, Record tab, then the Video File format and compression button at the bottom right.

But your biggest problem is what you've already discovered. Comskip (and MCEBuddy on a PC) eat processor time for lunch. On MCEBuddy, you can turn it down, but it really isn't all that useful in my experience.

This is why I have all my machines split out. I have Blue Iris on a PC (virtual, but still) that isn't doing anything else other than being my primary domain controller and performs workstation backups. MCEBuddy is on my Windows 7 VM which also is my DVR. Plex is on an entirely different server VM, so that my other applications don't bug Plex Media Server, and PMS doesn't bug them.

Moving Plex Server isn't hard at all. The main thing you will suffer from is that you lose track of where you were regarding partially or completely watched shows.
I have Blue Iris also, I have it on a dedicated machine in a 2U chassis with an i7 Skylake CPU. I currently don't have it in service yet since I have yet to get good cameras. What cameras are you using for your setup? I had wanted to setup cameras throughout the house outside and one possibly under the carport to where I can monitor the house whenever I am away or not home. Living near a city (until I eventually make the move out to the sticks) I like to keep an eye on things. I have always read that BI is best ran on bare metal as compared to running it in an VM, how has the performance been for you running in a VM and recording the data from the cameras?
post #2174 of 2583 Old 07-11-2018, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post
I have Blue Iris also, I have it on a dedicated machine in a 2U chassis with an i7 Skylake CPU. I currently don't have it in service yet since I have yet to get good cameras. What cameras are you using for your setup? I had wanted to setup cameras throughout the house outside and one possibly under the carport to where I can monitor the house whenever I am away or not home. Living near a city (until I eventually make the move out to the sticks) I like to keep an eye on things. I have always read that BI is best ran on bare metal as compared to running it in an VM, how has the performance been for you running in a VM and recording the data from the cameras?
Probably best on a separate thread somewhere since this is totally unrelated to Plex, but it works fine. Never an issue once.
post #2175 of 2583 Old 07-12-2018, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked: 539
I just starting creating Playlists within Plex and wow, it was much easier and faster compared to Kodi.

For Android Oreo users (Android TV) who are in the know, is there any information regarding implementing these Playlists into Channels for Android TV?

I've been checking on the Plex forums but could not find anything.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #2176 of 2583 Old 07-22-2018, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I'm trying to look at easy solutions to view TiVo recordings outside of the TiVo environment. On my Android phone's TiVo app, there's an option to Share with Plex. I've tried a couple of times and it keeps failing. Is there a trick or does that not actually work?
post #2177 of 2583 Old 07-22-2018, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJO1966 View Post
I'm trying to look at easy solutions to view TiVo recordings outside of the TiVo environment. On my Android phone's TiVo app, there's an option to Share with Plex. I've tried a couple of times and it keeps failing. Is there a trick or does that not actually work?
I use Emby, so this isn't Plex specific. I use KMTTG to download shows from my TiVo, Handbrake transcode to H264 (into an AppleTV friendly format), and add to my library. This isn't automated, but it works fine for the small number of shows I pull off my TiVo.

Keep in mind you can't pull shows off that have the do-not-copy flag set, which includes all the HBO-type channels at a minimum.
post #2178 of 2583 Old 07-22-2018, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post
I use Emby, so this isn't Plex specific. I use KMTTG to download shows from my TiVo, Handbrake transcode to H264 (into an AppleTV friendly format), and add to my library. This isn't automated, but it works fine for the small number of shows I pull off my TiVo.

Keep in mind you can't pull shows off that have the do-not-copy flag set, which includes all the HBO-type channels at a minimum.
I use pytivo desktop to download shows/movies from the tivo directly to a shared folder that my Plex server uses. I don’t transcode I just uses the .ts file and my Plex clients play them just fine. My only gripe is that for tv shows pytivo desktop doesn’t name the files in a format that is compatible with Plex so I have to manually rename the file with the year and episode info.

Jay
post #2179 of 2583 Old 07-22-2018, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerndl View Post
I use pytivo desktop to download shows/movies from the tivo directly to a shared folder that my Plex server uses. I don’t transcode I just uses the .ts file and my Plex clients play them just fine. My only gripe is that for tv shows pytivo desktop doesn’t name the files in a format that is compatible with Plex so I have to manually rename the file with the year and episode info.

Jay
KMTTG allows filename preferences so downloads can be friendly to your server software. I think it can be left running and will automatically bring down episodes to specified location, but I'm not sure as I use infrequently for one-offs.

For whatever reasons, my AppleTV doesn't play MPEG2 video streamed by Emby. So I transcode to H264 up front to get aTV playback that looks good and doesn't require additional transcoding. I don't know if this is an AppleTV thing or an Emby thing.
post #2180 of 2583 Old 07-23-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post

Why not sell the TiVo and get a SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime for CableTV? For copy freely content you can then just use the EmbyDVR with or without WMC / ServerWMC.. or with Plex DVR which has ComSkip built in. Soon Emby will be sorting ComSkip too. It is already in the installation package but not yet enabled.

post #2181 of 2583 Old 07-23-2018, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I got my Plex Pass back when I was asking about it it this thread, thanks for the feedback!

Quote:
get a SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime for CableTV? with Plex DVR which has ComSkip built in.
I'm now looking at doing this but the Prime apparently is not available in Canada

What is compatible with Plex....the connect, connect duo, connect quatro .... extend?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture4.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	2432068  

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
post #2182 of 2583 Old 07-23-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
I got my Plex Pass back when I was asking about it it this thread, thanks for the feedback!

I'm now looking at doing this but the Prime apparently is not available in Canada

What is compatible with Plex....the connect, connect duo, connect quatro .... extend?
Thanks
You can always check with Silicon Dust but I think the Connect Tuners work in Canada.

post #2183 of 2583 Old 07-23-2018, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You can always check with Silicon Dust but I think the Connect Tuners work in Canada.
Been trying to read more on them and it appears all 4 are compatible in Canada
No to try and figure out the difference between them.... aside from the quatro being 4

Family Cave Theater
post #2184 of 2583 Old 07-24-2018, 02:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2214 Post(s)
Liked: 2421
Quote:
No to try and figure out the difference between them.... aside from the quatro being 4
The Connect, Duo and Quatro are OTA tuners and the Prime is for cable. The Duo is a new model to replace the old Connect. The Quatro is a 4-tuner version of the Duo.
post #2185 of 2583 Old 07-24-2018, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

From what I've seen online the DVR doesn't play well with Spectrum. Is that accurate?
post #2186 of 2583 Old 07-24-2018, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The Connect, Duo and Quatro are OTA tuners and the Prime is for cable. The Duo is a new model to replace the old Connect. The Quatro is a 4-tuner version of the Duo.
Thanks Ken.F, looks like the Extend offers transcoding but I will probably just go Duo

Family Cave Theater
post #2187 of 2583 Old 07-24-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:

Thanks
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks Ken.F, looks like the Extend offers transcoding but I will probably just go Duo
According to Silicon Dust's webpage the Connect models work with Canadian CaTV.

Depending on your use you may or may not need to transcode. I let Plex (and/or Emby) take care of that.

Keep in mind that with the Duo you will run out of tuners quite quickly. My Quatro has hit the wall a few times so I have another ready to install as soon as I can find the time.

Last edited by Sammy2; 07-24-2018 at 01:25 PM.
post #2188 of 2583 Old 07-24-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
From what I've seen online the DVR doesn't play well with Spectrum. Is that accurate?
Plex DVR? IDK as I've only used it with my Quatro now that I dropped CableCARD and sold the Primes. Emby uses ServerWMC or can run by itself but other than Copy Protected Programming (anything marked other than Copy Freely) the Emby DVR worked just fine.

Do you have a link to the discussion you've read on line?

post #2189 of 2583 Old 07-24-2018, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Plex DVR? IDK as I've only used it with my Quatro now that I dropped CableCARD and sold the Primes. Emby uses ServerWMC or can run by itself but other than Copy Protected Programming (anything marked other than Copy Freely) the Emby DVR worked just fine.

Do you have a link to the discussion you've read on line?
This is the one. DRM programming can be viewed live, but the DVR won't record or play it.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/hdhomerun-p...pectrum/189020
post #2190 of 2583 Old 07-24-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
This is the one. DRM programming can be viewed live, but the DVR won't record or play it.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/hdhomerun-p...pectrum/189020
The fact that DRM won't play outside of a protected stream is nothing new. Nothing but WMC will do it today in the computer world anyhow.. Not Plex, Not Emby. This is not an issue with Plex or its DVR but rather an issue created by Cable Labs. I have to say I do not miss cable for one second with their excessive price and lack of the ability to play back content I pay for where and when I want.

This is why I'm OTA and Streaming now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page