Plex Discussion Thread - Page 74 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 284Likes

post #2191 of 2582 Old 07-24-2018, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
The fact that DRM won't play outside of a protected stream is nothing new. Nothing but WMC will do it today in the computer world anyhow.. Not Plex, Not Emby. This is not an issue with Plex or its DVR but rather an issue created by Cable Labs. I have to say I do not miss cable for one second with their excessive price and lack of the ability to play back content I pay for where and when I want.

This is why I'm OTA and Streaming now.
It was suggested that I replace my TiVo with an HDHomeRun Prime. I was pointing out that it's not a solution that would work for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2192 of 2582 Old 07-24-2018, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJO1966 View Post
It was suggested that I replace my TiVo with an HDHomeRun Prime. I was pointing out that it's not a solution that would work for me.
And now you know why I no longer have Spectrum and more money in my wallet to boot.

post #2193 of 2582 Old 07-24-2018, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
According to Silicon Dust's webpage the Connect models work with Canadian CaTV.

Depending on your use you may or may not need to transcode. I let Plex (and/or Emby) take care of that.

Keep in mind that with the Duo you will run out of tuners quite quickly. My Quatro has hit the wall a few times so I have another ready to install as soon as I can find the time.
Ya I don't think I will need transcoding.
I suppose if I am recording more than two at one time slot there would be an issue.... that said I only have 6-7 OTA channels available in my area.

Is the PLEX side hard to set up?

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2194 of 2582 Old 07-24-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy77 View Post
Ya I don't think I will need transcoding.
I suppose if I am recording more than two at one time slot there would be an issue.... that said I only have 6-7 OTA channels available in my area.

Is the PLEX side hard to set up?
Not with HDHR Tuners..

Open Plex > Server > LiveTV and DVR

It will discover your tuner and walk you through the set up. You may want to check into some of the advanced settings to set other than default settings but that is pretty straight forward too. You choose your recording location when setting recordings. I suggest just putting it in your TV Series / TV Shows library for simplicity. Recordings will then show up with any other content you may have in TV Shows.

post #2195 of 2582 Old 07-24-2018, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Not with HDHR Tuners..
Sorry not following? transcoding or tuners?
Maybe I misunderstood the run out of tuners part eariler

Thanks, setup sounds pretty easy

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
post #2196 of 2582 Old 07-24-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy77 View Post
Sorry not following? transcoding or tuners?
Maybe I misunderstood the run out of tuners part eariler

Thanks, setup sounds pretty easy
Silicon Dust HD Home Run tuners are pretty much "native" in Plex DVR.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Waterboy77 likes this.

Last edited by Sammy2; 07-25-2018 at 04:52 AM.
post #2197 of 2582 Old 07-26-2018, 04:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJO1966 View Post
From what I've seen online the DVR doesn't play well with Spectrum. Is that accurate?
Quote:
Plex DVR? IDK as I've only used it with my Quatro now that I dropped CableCARD and sold the Primes. Emby uses ServerWMC or can run by itself but other than Copy Protected Programming (anything marked other than Copy Freely) the Emby DVR worked just fine.

Do you have a link to the discussion you've read on line?
My understanding is different cable providers (Spectrum vs COX vs etc., etc) have some choice in what they code as "Protected" vs "Not Protected" for DRM. Some things like HBO, Showtime, etc., aren't up to the provider. Other things, even ABC, CBS, NBC - a provider can choose to mark as Protected in their systems or choose as read freely, and thus not need DRM.

I believe Spectrum errors on the side of "Mark most things as DRM Protected". Which, then other than the WMC solution, there isn't currently many/any other solutions out there.

I have Spectrum and cable cards for my SiliconDust HD Homerun Prime, and can record a few things... whether using the HDHomerun app or the Plex app, but many of their programs are marked as restricted, at least in my area. So, in terms of the hardware & software for SiliconDust HD Homerun prime/cable card/ Plex DVR/ HD Homerun DVR I would say 'it all plays well with Spectrum'... but from a "Spectrum Protects much of their content", that is an issue (again though, that would be for almost all non WMC set ups).
post #2198 of 2582 Old 07-29-2018, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Why not sell the TiVo and get a SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime for CableTV? For copy freely content you can then just use the EmbyDVR with or without WMC / ServerWMC.. or with Plex DVR which has ComSkip built in. Soon Emby will be sorting ComSkip too. It is already in the installation package but not yet enabled.
When I was upgrading from tivohd in 2014, Tivo was the clear winner to me compared to DIY DVR. TiVo just works. It’s cheaper, easier, mostly bulletproof, high SAF. TiVo supports 6 tuners (SiliconDust only 3). It has commercial skip, and its longtime superb UI.

And I don’t keep tv recordings. So the HTPC solution for archiving tv shows isn’t solving a problem I have. The few things I keep are easily downloaded manually from the TiVo.
post #2199 of 2582 Old 08-01-2018, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I've been asking around, trying to get an answer to this, but I've had no luck. Hopefully someone here can help me out.

I have an old iMac as both my Plex server and for my library storage. I play my plex media exclusively on the Smartcast on my Vizio M-series TV. If I attach a hard drive to my router (Netgear Nighthawk AC1750), and store my library on that hard drive, while still using my iMac as the server, how would direct play and direct streaming work:

(a) when there is no transcoding and
(b) when only audio (but not video) is transcoded?

Does the TV/Smartcast reach out to play the media immediately from the NAS (at the prompting of the iMac server), or does the data transfer/access between the TV and the NAS get mediated through the iMac? What about when the video is directly streamed, but the audio gets transcoded?

Since my iMac is 10 years old, it is a weak video transcoder, although it is fine with audio. This is okay I think, since I can directly play or stream (the video) on most things, even my 4k stuff (~20,000kbps), so I never do actually transcode video (although audio is often transcoded). I only have 1TB of space on my iMac (I swapped out the optical drive for a bigger hard drive many years ago), and I was wondering if I could attach a big hard drive to the router and use that for storage instead without any new difficulties emerging.
post #2200 of 2582 Old 08-01-2018, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2214 Post(s)
Liked: 2420
Quote:
Originally Posted by caaalebbb View Post
Does the TV/Smartcast reach out to play the media immediately from the NAS (at the prompting of the iMac server), or does the data transfer/access between the TV and the NAS get mediated through the iMac? What about when the video is directly streamed, but the audio gets transcoded?
Everything will still go through your Plex server. The server doesn't handle files stored on a network location any differently than those stored on a local HDD.
post #2201 of 2582 Old 08-07-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Everything will still go through your Plex server. The server doesn't handle files stored on a network location any differently than those stored on a local HDD.
It doesn't just tell the client where the file is and let the client play it if the client is capable of playing it directly, transcoding excepted?

post #2202 of 2582 Old 08-07-2018, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2214 Post(s)
Liked: 2420
Quote:
It doesn't just tell the client where the file is and let the client play it if the client is capable of playing it directly, transcoding excepted?
No, everything stored on the server or on your local network goes through the server first. I'm not sure how remote hosted content like news and podcasts get routed.
post #2203 of 2582 Old 08-07-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
No, everything stored on the server or on your local network goes through the server first. I'm not sure how remote hosted content like news and podcasts get routed.
Anything able to direct play gets passed directly to the client player in Emby.. Hmm..

post #2204 of 2582 Old 08-07-2018, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Is anyone having funky chapter issues after the latest client update? I'm running the Shield client connected to an HTPC server. All MKVs open and play fine from HTPC, but on the Shield now the chapters are out of order. The chapter icons are correct, but the timestamps are wrong. So Chapter 2 might now be Chapter 10, even though the icon for Chapter 2 looks fine. If I skip through forward/backward everything plays fine, it's only when I chapter select that I find myself in the middle of the movie.
post #2205 of 2582 Old 08-10-2018, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
And now audio passthrough is messed up. My receiver is displaying Multi Channel In instead of TrueHD/DTS-HD MA. Emby and Kodi work fine. I'm going to try factory resetting the Shield.
post #2206 of 2582 Old 08-19-2018, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
New nvidia shield tv using plex none of the files will play

I got it to see my plex library easy and clicked on dozens of files trying different formats and all just close out and go back to the menu. I installed the kodi app and using upnp can access and play my plex library instantly. any ideas? I just dont like kodi much sorry. thanks!
post #2207 of 2582 Old 08-19-2018, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I’ve noticed a number of TV shows that I cannot stream on my ipad air that run on all the rest of the plex clients in the house. They are all standard definition mp4 files. 704 x 400 x264 aac stereo.

I am playing through the Plex player for iOS and not Safari. These are copies of my tv backups of Community. My plex server is a Windows 10 64 bit mashine running the latest free release of Plex Media Server. It has an i7-2600 CPU @3.4GHz overclocked to 3.7GHz. 16 GB memory… ABout 16 TB of data on the drives.

The IOS player played some files then stooped. It played one more then stopped again with a helpful “Something went wrong try again” error message. I checked the files and the one that played has exactly the same properties as the ones that didn’t as far as I can tell. The ipad air uses the home network wifi and does not use cellular only the home wifi.

JVC RS500, Denon 7200WA, 7.2.4 Atmos/DTSX dedicated Theater. 133" Dalite 1.3 screen. M&K S150 + K7 ear level, 4 Tannoy DC overheads.
post #2208 of 2582 Old 08-19-2018, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4633 Post(s)
Liked: 2940
Quote:
Originally Posted by billqs View Post
I’ve noticed a number of TV shows that I cannot stream on my ipad air that run on all the rest of the plex clients in the house. They are all standard definition mp4 files. 704 x 400 x264 aac stereo.

I am playing through the Plex player for iOS and not Safari. These are copies of my tv backups of Community. My plex server is a Windows 10 64 bit mashine running the latest free release of Plex Media Server. It has an i7-2600 CPU @3.4GHz overclocked to 3.7GHz. 16 GB memory… ABout 16 TB of data on the drives.

The IOS player played some files then stooped. It played one more then stopped again with a helpful “Something went wrong try again” error message. I checked the files and the one that played has exactly the same properties as the ones that didn’t as far as I can tell. The ipad air uses the home network wifi and does not use cellular only the home wifi.
The first step is to play one of these back on your iphone then get onto the computer browser and into the plex media server and see if it shows "direct play" or "transcoding". Then you'll have an idea if the problem is with network bandwidth (direct play failure) or the transcoder and maybe cpu on the computer end.
billqs likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #2209 of 2582 Old 08-20-2018, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Tried playing on the plex for ios app. Only the same video plays. The rest of these SD mp4 won't play on the app. Loading the Plexweb app in Safari does play these files correctly. I went to the computer and the webapp for windows will only play sound on these not picture. Tried another sd mp4 from another show and it played fine. Used Plex player for windows and the videos that won't play above do play on the windows computer.

JVC RS500, Denon 7200WA, 7.2.4 Atmos/DTSX dedicated Theater. 133" Dalite 1.3 screen. M&K S150 + K7 ear level, 4 Tannoy DC overheads.
post #2210 of 2582 Old 08-20-2018, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogormask View Post
I got it to see my plex library easy and clicked on dozens of files trying different formats and all just close out and go back to the menu. I installed the kodi app and using upnp can access and play my plex library instantly. any ideas? I just dont like kodi much sorry. thanks!
it started working so idk but thanks
post #2211 of 2582 Old 08-20-2018, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Here's the log uploaded from the ios player app
Attached Files
File Type: txt com.plexapp.plex 2018-08-18--21-14-07-960.log.txt (142.1 KB, 3 views)

post #2212 of 2582 Old 08-20-2018, 09:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Tried playing on the plex for ios app. Only the same video plays. The rest of these SD mp4 won't play on the app. Loading the Plexweb app in Safari does play these files correctly. I went to the computer and the webapp for windows will only play sound on these not picture. Tried another sd mp4 from another show and it played fine. Used Plex player for windows and the videos that won't play above do play on the windows computer.
I still haven't seen the results from the test I suggested. Start playing on your phone and while that's playing load the plex.tv/web up on a computer and go to the now playing section and see if it says that your playback is being transcoded or direct played.
billqs likes this.

Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #2213 of 2582 Old 08-21-2018, 05:14 AM
Advanced Member

I tried to play one of the files that won't play in the ipad plex. Now Playing said "Nothing is being played". The ipad app said "Something went wrong playing your media, please try again. I tried another show that was in SD x264 and it said both video and audio were playing direct. I played the one file from the same folder of Community and it said "Direct Play". So the other files aren't making it to a playable state.

Sorry, I didn't understand your question earlier.

post #2214 of 2582 Old 08-21-2018, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is there a way to poke around the options in the plex app on ios and force transcode?
billqs likes this.

post #2215 of 2582 Old 08-21-2018, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Is there a way to poke around the options in the plex app on ios and force transcode?
I don't know. I'm at work, but I can try to check on it when I get home. What's odd is that the webplayer in Safari on the ipad plays the files, but the dedicated app doesnt, though it will play other files with apparently the exact same parameters according to mediainfo.

post #2216 of 2582 Old 08-21-2018, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't know. I'm at work, but I can try to check on it when I get home. What's odd is that the webplayer in Safari on the ipad plays the files, but the dedicated app doesnt, though it will play other files with apparently the exact same parameters according to mediainfo.
it's not weird. Safari forces a transcode and the plex app probably is trying to direct play.
billqs likes this.

post #2217 of 2582 Old 08-21-2018, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Bingo! Under "Advanced" in Settings I turned off "Allow Direct Play" and it played fine. As you surmised forcing a transcode fixed the problem. Thank you!

(The bigger question is why such low bitrate standard def files were not directly playing. But that is for another day...) Edit to add: Apple has some odd standards and I'm from a Windows world so probably something was off in what Apple would accept in the encode. The files are 704 x 400 instead of 704x480 or 704x576 so that could be it.

Last edited by billqs; 08-21-2018 at 05:51 PM.
post #2218 of 2582 Old 08-25-2018, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Is a near future Plex update going to let us watch the new HDHomeRun Premium service without major manual configuration?

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis
post #2219 of 2582 Old 08-27-2018, 10:47 AM

Anyone successful in setting up epg123.xmltv in Plex DVR for SiliconDust's Premium TV Channels?

Thanks.

post #2220 of 2582 Old 08-29-2018, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1933 Post(s)
Liked: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simandl View Post
Is a near future Plex update going to let us watch the new HDHomeRun Premium service without major manual configuration?

Probably a good question for the Plex team.

Did you see Lon's video? He's hoping the same thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page