Plex Discussion Thread - Page 76 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 314Likes

post #2251 of 2677 Old 10-06-2018, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJimador View Post
No it isn't. Though personally I haven't found casting to Plex Media Player works all that great either. I use casting strictly for music and will find that it works okay for a while and then just randomly stop playback. Or it just refuses to work in the first place and I get "there was a problem playing this item" messages right from the jump. This is casting either from an android phone or from another Windows PC on my network. I expect I could fight through those issues if it was more important to me but as it is I've pretty much just given up on casting and use an Echo Dot for Alexa integration instead (using voice commands to start and stop music rather than casting). It's not perfect either but at least it's better than casting and let's me just stick with Plex for Kodi too instead of constantly switching players on my HTPC.
I've found that casting in Emby works perfectly! In general Emby seems rather more full featured but a bit more techy. I have both servers and clients (they are free, why not). Maybe give that a try?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 2677 Old 10-14-2018, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Plex has always had separate folder support and user access profiles that can even be passworded (well pin) if you want.
Do you have more info on this? I literally bought a Synology to run Plex after seeing your comment and I'm not seeing any option to put a pin on a kids folder and keep the parents video folder separate.

Maybe a tutorial you can reference?
post #2253 of 2677 Old 10-14-2018, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked: 3389
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagegroove View Post
Do you have more info on this? I literally bought a Synology to run Plex after seeing your comment and I'm not seeing any option to put a pin on a kids folder and keep the parents video folder separate.

You need a plex pass subscription and it's handled at plex.tv

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2254 of 2677 Old 10-14-2018, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
You need a plex pass subscription and it's handled at plex.tv
Thanks, subscribing now.
post #2255 of 2677 Old 10-14-2018, 11:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked: 3389
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagegroove View Post

You won't be password protecting a folder. You'll be adding a pin to one (or more) of the user profiles on your account. When you have plex pass, you can add house hold users. Then you assign a library to each user. So if you have 3 folders like TV, Movies, XXX you can assign to profile "kids" TV and Movies" and not "XXX". Then for yourself you can assign all libraries and put a pin on your account.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #2256 of 2677 Old 10-22-2018, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Currently using Plex via Nvidia shield to watch movies and connected to a Denon 4300. I have noticed an issue where after resuming a movie from pause the sound gets more full (louder, more dynamic range). I am not sure whether the issue is caused by Plex or by the receiver and an wondering if anyone else has run into this issue. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2257 of 2677 Old 11-20-2018, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Prvt Inter Access VPN blocks Plex Server

Whenever I have my VPN (Private Internet Access) enabled then my Plex server (Shield TV) stops and will NOT start again until I disable the VPN. I am a Plex pass owner also. Must I just have to accept this or is there a solution for having them both 'on'?
I have not done any other research elsewhere. Thanks in advance!
post #2258 of 2677 Old 11-20-2018, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Plex will work through a VPN, but it seemed too complicated to be worth it for me so I didn't go through with it.

Sorry to not be more helpful but search Google for Plex with VPN and you should find all the info you need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerhunt View Post
Whenever I have my VPN (Private Internet Access) enabled then my Plex server (Shield TV) stops and will NOT start again until I disable the VPN. I am a Plex pass owner also. Must I just have to accept this or is there a solution for having them both 'on'?
I have not done any other research elsewhere. Thanks in advance!
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
post #2259 of 2677 Old 11-20-2018, 08:31 PM

@NotShorty ....thanks for your reply. I am of the same opinion as you are...it is NOT worth the effort!
post #2260 of 2677 Old 11-20-2018, 09:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Check your vpn software and see if it can be configured to still allow local LAN access. A lot of vpn clients can play fast and loose with the routing that disables local network connectivity inadvertently, or even on purpose (e.g. At a coffee shop where you don't want others on the same network).

This could be a firewall configuration too.
beerhunt likes this.
post #2261 of 2677 Old 11-21-2018, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Oh it doesn't work on the same LAN either? I can play from my Plex server to the client built into my Samsung TV while PIA is enabled, just not to remote clients. Not sure about the particular problem you are having, sorry. Sounds like it would be worth getting to the bottom of. Good luck

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
post #2262 of 2677 Old 11-25-2018, 08:39 AM

11-25/18 Plex is inaccessible the past two days!!

I cannot run/sign into the Plex Server on the 2017 Shield TV nor am I able to sign into Plex on my Apple TV4k because the server cannot be found! I have my VPN (PIA) within the Shield TV (no VPN on the AppleTV4k) disconnected also!
Things I've done to get this to work on BOTH streamers :
1) restarted

2) signed out and attempted to resign in using the Plex/link web page 3 or 4 times!

Any ideas to resolve this?...thanks!
post #2263 of 2677 Old 11-25-2018, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
I cannot run/sign into the Plex Server on the 2017 Shield TV nor am I able to sign into Plex on my Apple TV4k because the server cannot be found! I have my VPN (PIA) within the Shield TV (no VPN on the AppleTV4k) disconnected also!
Things I've done to get this to work on BOTH streamers :
1) restarted

2) signed out and attempted to resign in using the Plex/link web page 3 or 4 times!

Any ideas to resolve this?...thanks!
I don't run my server on my shield but can you get into the server setup.... more importantly the connected devices list in the server?
You may want to disconnect them if they are in the list.... reboot... then try re attaching

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
post #2264 of 2677 Old 11-25-2018, 09:03 AM

thanks for your reply @Waterboy77
I will try your idea
Another thing that I just discovered is that in the Shield TV's settings>device>apps/system apps I have a lower numbered version (1.14.o.5468~BETA!) than what is displayed as being necessary (1.3.0.0). I will try changing to that version if what you 1st suggested doesn't work....maybe Plex updated this, but I cannot see the version in Google play store!
post #2265 of 2677 Old 11-25-2018, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
thanks for your reply @Waterboy77
I will try your idea
Another thing that I just discovered is that in the Shield TV's settings>device>apps/system apps I have a lower numbered version (1.14.o.5468~BETA!) than what is displayed as being necessary (1.3.0.0). I will try changing to that version if what you 1st suggested doesn't work....maybe Plex updated this, but I cannot see the version in Google play store!
Try to keep updates a current as possible with Plex
Hope you get it sorted

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
post #2266 of 2677 Old 11-25-2018, 12:55 PM

well yeah @Waterboy77 , I usually keep all my 'stuff' electronic up 2 date. However, after deleting the cache and data of the PMS it did not help! grrrr....NOW!...After away from the electronics for several hours I am able to get logged into PMS but the connection is not secure ( no green lock)! I am a pass subscriber and this is all lots of wasted time & money at this time!!!...sighs!

EDIT: I am now getting the secure icon (green lock) connection on the Shield TVs' Plex Med Server but NOT in the app.plex.tv/desktop webpage.
EDIT# 2: SUCCESS!!!...I am able to and have re-set up the server!...I suppose by deleting the cache & data within the Shield TV's PMS settings was the answer!

Last edited by beerhunt; 11-25-2018 at 01:56 PM. Reason: additional info
post #2267 of 2677 Old 11-25-2018, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@beerhunt glad you were able to get it
beerhunt likes this.

Family Cave Theater
post #2268 of 2677 Old 11-25-2018, 10:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked: 920
When will Plex Android client get direct play like the iOS client just did?
post #2269 of 2677 Old 12-06-2018, 11:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 272
I have a Plex server (Plex Pass Lifetime subscription) from which I stream recordings made with other devices. Works great. I can even open Plex.TV in Firefox on an Amazon Show and watch these recordings. I also have a pair of HDHR Extends. I can watch live OTA on these using the HDHR app on a PC, but when I open the Guide in Plex and open a channel, I can hear the audio, but the video is just a green screen. Anyone solve this problem? I've posted to Plex and HDHR forums and got no response except, "me too."

My objective is to get Live TV on those Amazon Shows in my home and to get Live TV outside my home. I get the green screen in Chrome on the PC which is running the Plex server (Win 10), on the Shows, and using the new Plex app on a TCL Roku TV.
post #2270 of 2677 Old 12-07-2018, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1950 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I can watch live OTA on these using the HDHR app on a PC, but when I open the Guide in Plex and open a channel, I can hear the audio, but the video is just a green screen. Anyone solve this problem? I've posted to Plex and HDHR forums and got no response except, "me too."

My objective is to get Live TV on those Amazon Shows in my home and to get Live TV outside my home. I get the green screen in Chrome on the PC which is running the Plex server (Win 10), on the Shows, and using the new Plex app on a TCL Roku TV.

Works for me on both. I am watching live TV in Chrome right now (I normally use Firefox) with no issues. We have guests coming this weekend and I have a TCL with built-in Roku in that room, and earlier today I tested everything to make sure it was working, and live TV was working just fine.
post #2271 of 2677 Old 12-07-2018, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
Works for me on both. I am watching live TV in Chrome right now (I normally use Firefox) with no issues. We have guests coming this weekend and I have a TCL with built-in Roku in that room, and earlier today I tested everything to make sure it was working, and live TV was working just fine.
Good. If your encoders are Extends, at least I know these things work together. Any insights into what I ought to look at? I haven't changed any settings on the Plex server or the encoders.
post #2272 of 2677 Old 12-08-2018, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

Found and disabled hardware acceleration to resolve.
post #2273 of 2677 Old 12-11-2018, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Hey folks!

I didn't even think to look here as I think of LiverTV/DVR as more a local streaming service!

I'm sure y'all know PLEX made some major changes on both the Server and the Client side in the past few weeks and there's a lot of discussion on the PLEX forum but they're also filtering (read that deleting) posts that highlight major issues. I've had one deleted and I know of multiple folks who have experienced the same.

I use PLEX primarily for LiveTV/DVR and the recent changes have rendered it unstable and pretty useless. It's a "paid feature" (Plex Pass) so I'm a little irritated

Even before this they were lacking basic things like a grid guide on some platforms (ROKU and others) and their FF/REW/SKIP functions fail more often than they function lately.

So on that note, I thought there should maybe be a users thread for PLEX like there is for YTTV, DTVN, and others. I already have a Lifetime Plex Pass but am looking for alternatives after seeing how poorly run PLEX is. EMBY is next on my list.

I was pointed to this thread. Are there many here using PLEX for LiveTV/DVR? Is this the best place to discuss this?

Thanks!
post #2274 of 2677 Old 12-11-2018, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Liked: 2569
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
Are there many here using PLEX for LiveTV/DVR? Is this the best place to discuss this?
I have a lifetime Plex Pass and compatible tuners but I don't use Plex for live TV and DVR. Feel free to discuss it if you want.
post #2275 of 2677 Old 12-12-2018, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I have a lifetime Plex Pass and compatible tuners but I don't use Plex for live TV and DVR. Feel free to discuss it if you want.
What do you use?

I previously had HDHomeRun primes and cable service, but my cable service had an "App", so, I just used that to watch live tv. I recently cut cable, and received a HDHomeRun Quattro yesterday, and am installing an antenna tomorrow- and was tentatively planning to use Plex for my live TV channels.

Since I haven't gotten into it yet, if there is somewhere better to start - I would probably just start there.
post #2276 of 2677 Old 12-12-2018, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

At the moment PLEX is terribly unstable for LiveTV/DVR. What client do you plan to use? Grid guide is available on some platforms (ATV, web) but not others (ROKU). They've been promising it for months.......

I'm just now starting to look at EMBY but I understand there are potential issues with guide data and extra recurring costs.
Could be I have old information which is why I need to re-evaluate. I've got 2 Hauppauge quad tuner cards in an i7-4770 machine and it's been plenty of horsepower.

EMBY also has a "premium fee" like PLEX to use the TV/DVR function.

Assuming PLEX can get things to work again (big assumption) I was less than pleased with their transcoding to H.264. It left live action sports less than ideal to watch forcing me to switch to the native MPEG2 tuner. I'm told the HDHomeRun and do the transcoding so perhaps it's not an issue for your setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
What do you use?

I previously had HDHomeRun primes and cable service, but my cable service had an "App", so, I just used that to watch live tv. I recently cut cable, and received a HDHomeRun Quattro yesterday, and am installing an antenna tomorrow- and was tentatively planning to use Plex for my live TV channels.

Since I haven't gotten into it yet, if there is somewhere better to start - I would probably just start there.
post #2277 of 2677 Old 12-12-2018, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Liked: 2569
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
What do you use?
HDHomeRun DVR for most stuff. I still use WMC for a couple of series on DRM channels. I hope SD gets recorded DRM working soon.
post #2278 of 2677 Old 12-12-2018, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Video to Television using NAS?

Hello,

I can't seem to get my head around this question, hopefully somebody here has an the answer, here's the background:

I currently have a HTPC that I use as PLEX Media Server. I'm in the pre-planning stage of what to replace PMS with - The HTPC is getting old.

I'd really like to use my NAS (Synology 1817+) as the PMS as I never need transcoding.

I don't plan on doing any of this until I get a new TV and I plan on it having eARC so I can feed my receiver hi-def audio.

My Synology NAS has eSATA, USB 3.0 and Ethernet connections. My question is this: How would I get the Media files from the NAS to the TV? My receiver is a Denon AVR-X6200W and not sure if I need to upgrade that too?

Thanks for any help!
post #2279 of 2677 Old 12-12-2018, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Most every streaming box (ROKU, ...) other than perhaps the Shield require transcoding for Live TV (MPEG2) to H264.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahknow1 View Post
Hello,

I can't seem to get my head around this question, hopefully somebody here has an the answer, here's the background:

I currently have a HTPC that I use as PLEX Media Server. I'm in the pre-planning stage of what to replace PMS with - The HTPC is getting old.

I'd really like to use my NAS (Synology 1817+) as the PMS as I never need transcoding.

I don't plan on doing any of this until I get a new TV and I plan on it having eARC so I can feed my receiver hi-def audio.

My Synology NAS has eSATA, USB 3.0 and Ethernet connections. My question is this: How would I get the Media files from the NAS to the TV? My receiver is a Denon AVR-X6200W and not sure if I need to upgrade that too?

Thanks for any help!
post #2280 of 2677 Old 12-12-2018, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
Most every streaming box (ROKU, ...) other than perhaps the Shield require transcoding for Live TV (MPEG2) to H264.
Live TV? The only thing I want to play off the NAS is MKV files....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page