Plex Discussion Thread - Page 89 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 329Likes

post #2641 of 2784 Old 08-17-2019, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2391 Post(s)
Liked: 2787
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
Here's the discussion thread. It appears to be a replacement strategy.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/plex-for-ma...esktops/446435

Replacement strategy is right. Their strategy is for us to replace our HTPCs with streaming boxes.

From Plex blog post 'Desktop AF'
https://www.plex.tv/blog/desktop-af/
"The new desktop app is notably lacking TV mode, which means that we’re going to stop supporting the traditional HTPC setup (using a desktop computer connected to your TV or home theater) with this app. There. We said it. It marks the end of an era for us, and we’d be lying if we said it wasn’t a little bittersweet. But take heart. We looked at how most people were using the app, and most of you will have an equal (if not better) experience with a streaming device and our new players."
rakstr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2642 of 2784 Old 08-17-2019, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Quoted: 6788 Post(s)
Liked: 4899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Replacement strategy is right. Their strategy is for us to replace our HTPCs with streaming boxes.

"The new desktop app is notably lacking TV mode, which means that we’re going to stop supporting the traditional HTPC setup (using a desktop computer connected to your TV or home theater) with this app. There. We said it. It marks the end of an era for us, and we’d be lying if we said it wasn’t a little bittersweet. But take heart. We looked at how most people were using the app, and most of you will have an equal (if not better) experience with a streaming device and our new players."
Yea that strategy sucks. MadVR running on HTPC looks tons better than a roku or such. But the setup I have now isn't magically going to stop working because Plex guys decide to crank out changes. Updates are optional. If your stuff is working, skip them.

I think someone forked off the old plex home theater also. I imagine that will get more development after this happens.

JVC Control - my software for controlling JVC projector via IP control.
Smart Masking - See my automatic smart screen masking system.
JVC IR Codes - free online pronto code converter for JVC IR codes.
post #2643 of 2784 Old 08-17-2019, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 2455 Post(s)
Liked: 956
But you can’t run MADVR with kodi right? You have to use an older version (16?) as that fork is not updated right?

Would be nice to use plex database and kodi madvr.

That being said the android tv works flawlessly with HDR10 and atmos. Truly no brainer

DocACE911 on Steam, XBOX, PS4
"Kill Cancer or Die"
Custom Z9 Game Settings For SDR and HDR
Sony 75" Z9, Denon X4200, Definitive Technologies BP7002 + 9.1 ATMOS, PSV 18" sub
Loving Wife and 4 year old Son who tolerate this expense!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2644 of 2784 Old 08-17-2019, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Support stops in January 2020. It will only be a matter of time after that before something breaks and Plex won't fix it. Time for me to get reacquainted with Emby (who have said that they have no plans to drop support of HTPCs).

Geoff Coupe
post #2645 of 2784 Old 08-30-2019, 09:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 232
NOTE - I was using PLEX primarily for LiveTV/DVR which has really never been even a reliable DVR101 candidate.

For those not following the PLEX threads it's a train wreck again. They've done a 180 on PMP but that doesn't mean they won't change again in a few months like they did with the ROKU interface at the beginning of the year.

As with the December '18 disaster, they are sanitizing the threads, removing posts that point out significant long term issues, and blocking users.

There's even a "shout out" thread that claims PLEX is doing a bang up job of support. It was flooded with rebuttals that were all deleted to leave it unicorns and fairy dust.

The guide issues introduced in June when they suddenly dropped gracenote without any notice still persist.

Anyway, Just thought I'd toss this out there should anyone be wondering.
SuperFist likes this.
post #2646 of 2784 Old 08-31-2019, 03:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Plex finally fixed the "Watch from Start" Live TV DVR bug. It took people hammering on them in the forum, tagging the CTO for a year. Great that it is fixed now. Just in time for NFL season.
post #2647 of 2784 Old 08-31-2019, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It is most certainly NOT fixed. Still a random mess. AND you still can't time shift when it does begin from start. Add to that the fact the new guide mess mis-marks many programs as new when they're not and it multiplies the problem. All these posts by many people have been deleted from the PLEX threads for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post
Plex finally fixed the "Watch from Start" Live TV DVR bug. It took people hammering on them in the forum, tagging the CTO for a year. Great that it is fixed now. Just in time for NFL season.
post #2648 of 2784 Old 08-31-2019, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It is most certainly NOT fixed. Still a random mess. AND you still can't time shift when it does begin from start. Add to that the fact the new guide mess mis-marks many programs as new when they're not and it multiplies the problem. All these posts by many people have been deleted from the PLEX threads for some reason.
DVR watch from start is working for me. I watched an entire preseason NFL game. Started watching 1 hr into it and was able to timeshift no problems at all. This is with Win10 PMS and Shield as a client. Others are also reporting success. There are many server/client options and I cant say if other combos are all working, but for my setup, it is.
post #2649 of 2784 Old 08-31-2019, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You're an outlier at best and PLEX is deleting posts that prove otherwise. Stop spreading FAKE news. It does NOT work, just proved it again on both a ROKU Ultra and an ATV.

W10PMS, Ultra, ATV Gb switched network, all with the latest Beta/Preview/client software.

Quote:
DVR watch from start is working for me. I watched an entire preseason NFL game. Started watching 1 hr into it and was able to timeshift no problems at all. This is with Win10 PMS and Shield as a client. Others are also reporting success. There are many server/client options and I cant say if other combos are all working, but for my setup, it is.
post #2650 of 2784 Old 08-31-2019, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You're an outlier at best and PLEX is deleting posts that prove otherwise. Stop spreading FAKE news. It does NOT work, just proved it again on both a ROKU Ultra and an ATV.

W10PMS, Ultra, ATV Gb switched network, all with the latest Beta/Preview/client software.
With all due respect, I dont recall recall you being at my home Thursday night. Believe me, I was very vocal on the Plex forum and even started my own thread about the problem and have many posts about the problem. It is fixed with the hardware I have. withe is Win10 PMS, Sheild, Sony TV and PMP. I dont have a Roku or ATV to test.

I guess these people are also spreading fake news (A term coined by a guy for news he doesnt like)

ASiDiE
Plex Pass

I actually played around with this last night and it did seem to work as it should. I always got play from beginning and play at live options on my shield when recording a 30 min show (for testing). Due to the only thing I watch is basically football, I am still (probably) going to stick with the HDhomerun app. This is due to how fast the 30 second and 10 min skips are. I still think Plex is lagging a little bit when I skip forward and even for that split second delay, its a little annoying.

However, I want to thank Plex for finally narrowing this down and getting some fixes in which I am sure will please a TON of people. Thanks again!

rgalverson
Plex Pass

Mixed results with the new server (1.16.5.1554). A quick check with the windows client 3.104.2 looks like live tv is working. I can watch from start, FF, REW, skip to a point on the timeline.
However, with the Android TV and plain Android (7.20.0.11992) client it is like nothing changed. Watch live puts up one frame and stops, never getting to live action or responding to FF or REW (stop works). Watch from start displays video, but it is live action and FF and REW have unpredictable results.

Update: sideloaded the 7.21 Beta on my Fire stick and that worked now.

hokierulz
Plex Pass

For Android TV and mobile there are new betas available 8 (7.21.)

I can’t speak to the TV release, but on 7.21 mobile the “Watch from start” is now fully working for me. Watch Live still has the video freeze problem - the developers know about this.

ToddinWauk
Plex Pass

I want to thank you for getting this fixed before football season too. Using the new released server version and Roku, i was able to use Watch from the Beginning successfully.

ctiq21
Plex Pass

This worked as expected using Roku. Could play from the beginning and skip ahead, etc. Tested on an NFL game last night. I tried from my Pixel 3 and it has the option to start from the beginning but doesn’t appear to work. Starts at the live point of the show. Skipping backwards seems broken as well.

resuarez
Plex Pass

In my case, it is working.
post #2651 of 2784 Old 08-31-2019, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
With all due respect, I dont recall recall you being at my home Thursday night.
I think he was agreeing with you. Everybody knows "fake news" means something is true but they don't want to admit it.
post #2652 of 2784 Old 08-31-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

And there in lies the problem and why your post was taken out of the thread discussing the issues.

PMP is NOT what is being discussed. Again, PMP is not what was being discussed.

The issues are all with the PLEX app/channel.

Again, it's WHY your post was removed from the discussion. The PLEX mods and others told you the same thing yet you repeat it here.

So I guess FAKE news really is FAKE.

Quote:
It is fixed with the hardware I have. withe is Win10 PMS, Sheild, Sony TV and PMP. I dont have a Roku or ATV to test.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PMP Off topic.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	2609554  

Last edited by rakstr; 08-31-2019 at 11:01 AM.
post #2653 of 2784 Old 08-31-2019, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And there in lies the problem and why your post was taken out of the thread discussing the issues.

PMP is NOT what is being discussed. Again, PMP is not what was being discussed.

The issues are all with the PLEX app/channel.

Again, it's WHY your post was removed from the discussion. The PLEX mods and others told you the same thing yet you repeat it here.

So I guess FAKE news really is FAKE.
Not sure what you mean. I didnt have any posts removed, nor did I have any discussion with the mods there. You must be thinking of someone else. I hope they continue to roll out fixes and you get the fixes you need. I was extremely frustrated as well. Tested out Emby and was using Kodi with NextPVR as a workaround.
post #2654 of 2784 Old 09-04-2019, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
NOTE - I was using PLEX primarily for LiveTV/DVR which has really never been even a reliable DVR101 candidate.

For those not following the PLEX threads it's a train wreck again. They've done a 180 on PMP but that doesn't mean they won't change again in a few months like they did with the ROKU interface at the beginning of the year.

As with the December '18 disaster, they are sanitizing the threads, removing posts that point out significant long term issues, and blocking users.

There's even a "shout out" thread that claims PLEX is doing a bang up job of support. It was flooded with rebuttals that were all deleted to leave it unicorns and fairy dust.

The guide issues introduced in June when they suddenly dropped gracenote without any notice still persist.

Anyway, Just thought I'd toss this out there should anyone be wondering.

I was one of the rebuttals to the shout out post. It’s a disaster. I’ve come to accept the ‘your media your way’ days are done. They’ve become a client focus operation and I have no doubt the plex will ultimately rid itself of the server altogether or combine it into some hybrid where the aim is streaming content.

I’ve been a user for long time (2010, purchased a Mac mini so I could run plex) and it pains me to say. Emby while still not as polished in some areas is filling the gap. Live TV is exponentially better, no comparison. The big difference is this- Emby sees the server owner as the customer, not the people we share our media with.
rakstr likes this.
post #2655 of 2784 Old 09-04-2019, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Emby FTW

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

post #2656 of 2784 Old 09-05-2019, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat-ball View Post
I’ve come to accept the ‘your media your way’ days are done. They’ve become a client focus operation and I have no doubt the plex will ultimately rid itself of the server altogether or combine it into some hybrid where the aim is streaming content.
Ad-supported movie streaming is next.

https://variety.com/2019/digital/new...ry-1203317271/
"Get ready for yet another ad-supported video service: Media center app maker Plex is gearing up to add free movies and TV shows to its app, starting with content from Warner Bros. Plex announced a deal with Warner Bros. Domestic Television Distribution Thursday, which will allow it to add a still-unspecified amount of the studio’s movie catalog to its app when it launches ad-supported video streaming later this year."
post #2657 of 2784 Old 09-05-2019, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I agree. Have you run both Emby and PLEX on the same server? I've got both right now but on different machines. I use the same Hauppauge quad PCI tuners in each machine and given you've got to load 3rd party "handlers" for the cards when using EMBY I'm concerned there may be a conflict.

And NO, I'm not suggesting sharing the tuner cards between the two, simply make them co-resident, each with their own assigned and separate tuner cards.

PS - I too created a rebuttal with all the DVR101 issues that have existed and left unfixed for a long long time. It was deleted as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat-ball View Post
I was one of the rebuttals to the shout out post. It’s a disaster. I’ve come to accept the ‘your media your way’ days are done. They’ve become a client focus operation and I have no doubt the plex will ultimately rid itself of the server altogether or combine it into some hybrid where the aim is streaming content.

I’ve been a user for long time (2010, purchased a Mac mini so I could run plex) and it pains me to say. Emby while still not as polished in some areas is filling the gap. Live TV is exponentially better, no comparison. The big difference is this- Emby sees the server owner as the customer, not the people we share our media with.
post #2658 of 2784 Old 09-16-2019, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Is there a way to do a "demo script" with Plex? Like how with Kaleidoscope you can have it play specific scenes for demos in order? Basically like "Play Blade Runner 2049 from 59min to 63min, then change to Interstellar and play from 41min until 43min, then change to Ready Player One and play from 13min to 15min" ..or whatever...
post #2659 of 2784 Old 09-17-2019, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjunadeep View Post
Is there a way to do a "demo script" with Plex? Like how with Kaleidoscope you can have it play specific scenes for demos in order? Basically like "Play Blade Runner 2049 from 59min to 63min, then change to Interstellar and play from 41min until 43min, then change to Ready Player One and play from 13min to 15min" ..or whatever...
Not that I am aware of unfortunately. I ended up using MVKToolNix to cut clips and put them into a separate "Demos" video folder. You can always make a playlist then, but they will be separate from your movies.
anjunadeep likes this.

Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Thread
post #2660 of 2784 Old 09-17-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feistyacorn View Post
Not that I am aware of unfortunately. I ended up using MVKToolNix to cut clips and put them into a separate "Demos" video folder. You can always make a playlist then, but they will be separate from your movies.
Thanks! Do you know of a Mac equivalent? MVKToolNix seems to require some uber computer skills to get working on a Mac.... Something for dummies that retains the correct audio and video information?
post #2661 of 2784 Old 09-17-2019, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjunadeep View Post
Thanks! Do you know of a Mac equivalent? MVKToolNix seems to require some uber computer skills to get working on a Mac.... Something for dummies that retains the correct audio and video information?
I actually use a Mac too. Under the download section there is a link to Fosshub where there is a port of the software. Just download the Mac version and install. It works really well and you're able to retain (or remove) anything from the MKV that you want including audio tracks, subtitles, etc.

https://mkvtoolnix.download/downloads.html#macosx
anjunadeep likes this.

Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Thread
post #2662 of 2784 Old 09-17-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feistyacorn View Post
I actually use a Mac too. Under the download section there is a link to Fosshub where there is a port of the software. Just download the Mac version and install. It works really well and you're able to retain (or remove) anything from the MKV that you want including audio tracks, subtitles, etc.

https://mkvtoolnix.download/downloads.html#macosx
Thank you so much!
feistyacorn likes this.
post #2663 of 2784 Old 09-22-2019, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 220
I am just starting out the process of ripping 70-80 blurays using Makemkv on my Mac. Yeah, you could say I am years behind....I know. I bought an external BR player and it is working great to convert to .mkv. However, many have suggested that I use Handbrake to reduce the size of the files. So I experimented with the first movie (Gladiator) that I ripped to .mkv last night and it took 4.5 hours for Handbrake to convert it to M4V.

My plan is to go with Plex for my HT room using a NVidia Shield (content stored on Synology NAS) so my question is this. Should I leave the files in .mkv format or should I use Handbrake to convert them to M4V? Is there a noticeable difference in quality? I did not want to get 30-40 discs in and realize that I should have just gone with the .mkv files. The conversion in Handbrake is obviously very time consuming and I am started to wonder if it is even worth the hassle. If I've got 80 discs at an average of 20-25GB, I'll need roughly 1600GB -2000GB (2TB) of storage. Paying for storage is not a concern of mine...but video/audio quality is.

So should I just stick with .mkv format for Plex and call it a day?
post #2664 of 2784 Old 09-22-2019, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSony View Post
Paying for storage is not a concern of mine...but video/audio quality is.

Stick with the .mkv rips.
dwaleke and AnnapolisSony like this.
post #2665 of 2784 Old 09-22-2019, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
+1 stick with mkv. Shield as player will work fine direct playing anything in that format.

Sent from my SM-T837V using Tapatalk

video: Lg 65e6, Oppo uhd-203, Roku ultra, nVidia Shield Pro
audio: Yamaha aventage 3050, ATI AT252NC, martin logan efx 7.1
gaming: Ps4-pro, Psvr, Ps3
other: Synology d216play, Panamax m-5300pm & m-5400pm, a billion smarthome things
post #2666 of 2784 Old 09-22-2019, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
I'll second or third it. Having ripped movies in the past at first I tried compressing them, but someone wisely told me to future proof them and leave them unadulterated as future tech will show every flaw - this was long before 4K was even on the horizon. HD space is cheap, rip at the highest quality, 8K is around the corner.
post #2667 of 2784 Old 09-22-2019, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
I'll second or third it. Having ripped movies in the past at first I tried compressing them, but someone wisely told me to future proof them and leave them unadulterated as future tech will show every flaw - this was long before 4K was even on the horizon. HD space is cheap, rip at the highest quality, 8K is around the corner.
I compress everything I rip with Handbrake and put both versions on the server. Having both versions means the server (usually) doesn't have to transcode for remote viewing while the full quality version is available for viewing in the home. After I watch a title I delete the original rip if it's something that I probably won't watch again.
ckronengold likes this.
post #2668 of 2784 Old 09-22-2019, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked: 1561
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSony View Post
I am just starting out the process of ripping 70-80 blurays using Makemkv on my Mac. Yeah, you could say I am years behind....I know. I bought an external BR player and it is working great to convert to .mkv. However, many have suggested that I use Handbrake to reduce the size of the files. So I experimented with the first movie (Gladiator) that I ripped to .mkv last night and it took 4.5 hours for Handbrake to convert it to M4V.

My plan is to go with Plex for my HT room using a NVidia Shield (content stored on Synology NAS) so my question is this. Should I leave the files in .mkv format or should I use Handbrake to convert them to M4V? Is there a noticeable difference in quality? I did not want to get 30-40 discs in and realize that I should have just gone with the .mkv files. The conversion in Handbrake is obviously very time consuming and I am started to wonder if it is even worth the hassle. If I've got 80 discs at an average of 20-25GB, I'll need roughly 1600GB -2000GB (2TB) of storage. Paying for storage is not a concern of mine...but video/audio quality is.

Mkv

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #2669 of 2784 Old 09-23-2019, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
I compress everything I rip with Handbrake and put both versions on the server. Having both versions means the server (usually) doesn't have to transcode for remote viewing while the full quality version is available for viewing in the home. After I watch a title I delete the original rip if it's something that I probably won't watch again.
I like how you roll! Same boat here, but with an added version.

OP - lets remember that mp4 and mkv are containers, and both can hold compressed or uncompressed video. don't want you to get confused into thinking that mkv = not compressed and mp4 = compressed.

- MKV uncompressed for watching in the theater and if I really think I'm going to watch it multiple times. Library shared only to the Shield in the theater.

- RF18 for the movies after they've been watched. Library shared only with wired devices in the house.

- RF22 w Stereo AAC for my "streaming" library for mobile devices.

Video: Epson 6050 / Panny DP-UB420 / OPPO-103
Audio: Marantz 7010 / MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), 50XT (center), M2 (surrounds)
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
NAS: Synology 1515+ Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
post #2670 of 2784 Old 09-23-2019, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckronengold View Post
I like how you roll! Same boat here, but with an added version.

OP - lets remember that mp4 and mkv are containers, and both can hold compressed or uncompressed video. don't want you to get confused into thinking that mkv = not compressed and mp4 = compressed.

- MKV uncompressed for watching in the theater and if I really think I'm going to watch it multiple times. Library shared only to the Shield in the theater.

- RF18 for the movies after they've been watched. Library shared only with wired devices in the house.

- RF22 w Stereo AAC for my "streaming" library for mobile devices.
Thanks so much for the clarification @ckronengold @m_snow @Ken.F @mattl and @Spinningbull . It just seems so time consuming to convert using Handbrake so I'll just stick with the MKV for now. Can't go wrong with that.
beerhunt and m_snow like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page