Plex Discussion Thread - Page 90 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 326Likes

post #2671 of 2772 Old 09-23-2019, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSony View Post
Thanks so much for the clarification @ckronengold @m_snow @Ken.F @mattl and @Spinningbull . It just seems so time consuming to convert using Handbrake so I'll just stick with the MKV for now. Can't go wrong with that.
...until you run out of room on your NAS.

I generally do my encoding over night, so it doesn't really interfere with anything and I don't care how long it takes. I'll set 2 or 3 movies to encode into high and low res before I go to bed, and when i get home from work the next day, they are done.

My NAS is 80% full and I can't really upgrade the size of the drives any more, so thats worth while for me. Frankly, so would being more realistic about the movies that I want/need to keep and deleting a few hundred.

Video: Epson 6050 / Panny DP-UB420 / OPPO-103
Audio: Marantz 7010 / MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), 50XT (center), M2 (surrounds)
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
NAS: Synology 1515+ Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2672 of 2772 Old 09-23-2019, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 223
We ALL go off topic and usually it's for good reason and informative. However it seems like none of this remains specific to PLEX. If I'm incorrect then I apologize to all in advance.

Wouldn't much of this discussion be better moved to a thread like this or similar?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...u-rays-ii.html
post #2673 of 2772 Old 09-24-2019, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
We ALL go off topic and usually it's for good reason and informative. However it seems like none of this remains specific to PLEX. If I'm incorrect then I apologize to all in advance.

Wouldn't much of this discussion be better moved to a thread like this or similar?

While we could make an argument around this being a discussion of "best practices for using Plex across multiple devices," you're probably right.

Sorry 'bout that!

Video: Epson 6050 / Panny DP-UB420 / OPPO-103
Audio: Marantz 7010 / MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), 50XT (center), M2 (surrounds)
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
NAS: Synology 1515+ Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2674 of 2772 Old 09-24-2019, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:

If you are referring to my post, my main question was this: My plan is to go with Plex for my HT room using a NVidia Shield (content stored on Synology NAS) so my question is this. Should I leave the files in .mkv format or should I use Handbrake to convert them to M4V? I did not want to get 30-40 discs in and realize that I should have just gone with the .mkv files.

That question was geared towards my use of Plex. I don't know anything about Plex yet since I am just starting out with this. My apologies @rakstr if that is perceived as OT in a Plex thread.
post #2675 of 2772 Old 09-24-2019, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2347 Post(s)
Liked: 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSony View Post
That question was geared towards my use of Plex. I don't know anything about Plex yet since I am just starting out with this. My apologies @rakstr if that is perceived as OT in a Plex thread.
Preparing media files for a Plex library seems relevant to me. If not, at least it distracted me long enough to stop complaining about Plex for a while.
post #2676 of 2772 Old 09-29-2019, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I agree. Have you run both Emby and PLEX on the same server? I've got both right now but on different machines. I use the same Hauppauge quad PCI tuners in each machine and given you've got to load 3rd party "handlers" for the cards when using EMBY I'm concerned there may be a conflict.

And NO, I'm not suggesting sharing the tuner cards between the two, simply make them co-resident, each with their own assigned and separate tuner cards.

PS - I too created a rebuttal with all the DVR101 issues that have existed and left unfixed for a long long time. It was deleted as well.

Hey sorry I missed this. I do in fact have plex/Emby running on the same machine. That said, I only recently started doing this. I bought a new machine last year with a good processor so I was ok with doing both. I have a lot of plex users and no Emby shares yet so it’s only me utilizing Emby and live tv.

I’m not sure if this answers your question but I’ll share my I’ve tv situation to see if it helps at all. So I have a an HDHomeRun for OTA and I subscribe to an IPTV service that I run thru an iptv emulator (mimics network tuner). Theoretically I should be able run both tuners on Emby and plex without issue. However because plex doesn’t give you the ability to customize your Tv experience at all it has issues with multiple tuners. So it only runs the HDHomeRun and Emby runs both.

The load while watching tv on Emby is minimal but I know we’re using different gear so it may not give you much insight. Have you tried testing it?
post #2677 of 2772 Old 09-30-2019, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Ad-supported movie streaming is next.

https://variety.com/2019/digital/new...ry-1203317271/
"Get ready for yet another ad-supported video service: Media center app maker Plex is gearing up to add free movies and TV shows to its app, starting with content from Warner Bros. Plex announced a deal with Warner Bros. Domestic Television Distribution Thursday, which will allow it to add a still-unspecified amount of the studio’s movie catalog to its app when it launches ad-supported video streaming later this year."

You were right x2. The Warner Bro’s announcement has been raised as you mentioned and I just read they were finalizing some other ad supported streaming service. It’s definitely interesting, last I checked the Hollywood/Media/internet conglomerates didn’t like plex or the idea of plex- they don’t even want you to own digital files. they want to control every step in how, where and what on you consume their content. What that looks like side by side on a home media server is hard to imagine.
post #2678 of 2772 Old 11-29-2019, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 661
I've been using Plex for a few years now, with several evolutions to my setup.

- Big Beefy HTPC: A SSD for the OS, apps, and bootup. A fast processor, munch of RAM, couple of 10x RPM drives for storage, SLI video cards, etc. I ran various combinations of Plex and XBMC/Kodi on this, before the device market evolved to the point (and storage costs started dropping) that I could get the big horkin thing (4U) out of my rack.
- Smaller HTPC: SSD for OS, apps, bootup, SLI video cards, NAS for storage. Pretty much dropped everything except Plex, things were good for a while
- Shield: HTPC went the way of the dodo, NAS for storage. Ran this happily for a year or so, but ran out of room on that NAS. The NAS is WD PR4100, 4x4TB drives (RAID 5, 12 TB usable), and I ran the PMS on it. The problem came about when 2 things happened: 1) Until Atmos became "a real thing", I'd run everything thru mkv, then Handbrake. I eventually decided that compression was evil, which led to increased file sizes, 2) 4kUHD came out, and movie sizes jumped from 4gig to 50 (on average). Suddenly 12 TB isn't enough.

I bought a new PR4100 over the weekend (4x 10TB, RAID 5 to 30TB). The plan is to migrate all movies to that NAS (BigNAS), and keep the first (SmallNAS) for music, pictures, local user drives, etc. While playing around over the weekend (it takes ~24 hrs to move 11 TB of movies), I started re-thinking my use cases and architecture. I'm writing this post to try to throw out all of the "interesting features" I've noticed lately, to see if anyone has ideas that I just haven't thought of.

First, Use cases:
- Primary: I have multiple Shields around the house, some hardwired, some Google WiFi, that I use to stream. The PRIMARY-primary is the Shield in the movie room. This shield is on the same gig switch as the NAS, and never has problems. I plan to run the PMS on BigNAS, and present primarily thru the Shield to the pre/pro.
- Secondary: The Wife's Mac in the kitchen is used to watch a lot of kids' media. It mostly accesses via web browser (IP address: 32400), and runs over wifi
- Tertiary: We run the app on our iPhones and iPads, and download local copies of movies to keep the animals (kids) happy when we travel
- Quarternary: I have friends on my Plex account, which allows library sharing, and they all have local Shields.

Next, Challenges that Have Me Rethinking My Architecture:
- Mapping SmallNAS shares to BigNAS PMS: The first thing I noticed after moving the Movies directory from SmallNAS to BigNAS was that I had to correct the Movies library directory (PMS running on SmallNAS at that point). I'm sure there's a way to do it, but I couldn't figure out a way to get PMS on SmallNAS to see shares on BigNAS. TBH, I only tried IP address and gave up, I haven't Googled or checked out the Plex forums yet.
- Dual-NAT: I have this in the house now (Verizon router + Google wifi), and haven't solved the problem yet. I can't play thru Plex direct b/c of it, and haven't had a chance to work thru it. Hoping someone here has a solution
- Mac behavior: The Mac and my PC are the only machines in the house not running the app, they connect thru web browsers. Whenever I watch thru my PC, I use IP:32400 to access, and that's it. When I do it on the Mac it redirects to plex.tv, and playback is no where near as smooth. Is there something I'm missing?
- Multiple PMS?: Each of my Shields has Plex installed, and the Shield remote is my primary interface device. That leads me to seeing 4 Plex servers in each menu, and it's pretty annoying. Am I unintentionally installing the Server each time, when I'm trying to install the Client? I always thought it was the same install, and I had to enable "Server" to make it one?
- RTFM: TBH, I just installed and started playing. I put the parts together the best way I could figure out, without ever stopping to think of alternate design options. IMO, the Plex website isn't exactly well setup for determining architectural and layout decisions. Anyone have a better way to run things for my house??
THIS: (Sorry for the necro-quote)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
I ripped Spiderman Homecoming, and while playing it with Plex with the HD Audio track selected I was getting weird commentary over the regular audio track.

But not director commentary, it was explaining what was going on on the screen. Explaining that a Sony logo was on screen. Saying things like "a middle aged man holds up a sign"

Anyone have any idea what that's about. I played the same file with Emby and didn't have the voice over.

Edit# Apparently it is for blind people. Not sure why it played in Plex and not Emby. And how to disable it when I was using the main audio track.
I get this occassionally too, usually when I'm watching (Disney) movies on the HTPC, to verify that MakeMKV did it's thing right. I read through the pages before and after this (I started on ~ 75 and read the last 15), and I never saw the answer to this post. Was there any resolution?

TLDR: Looking for advice to help w/the Challenges
PLEASE don't respond with "Plex sux...", "Change to Emby...", "I'm still QQing over the patch that happened last December...". I'm only looking for recommendations to make me smarter on Plex.
post #2679 of 2772 Old 11-29-2019, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougUSMC View Post

- Big Beefy HTPC: A SSD for the OS, apps, and bootup. A fast processor, munch of RAM, couple of 10x RPM drives for storage, SLI video cards, etc. I ran various combinations of Plex and XBMC/Kodi on this, before the device market evolved to the point (and storage costs started dropping) that I could get the big horkin thing (4U) out of my rack.

- Smaller HTPC: SSD for OS, apps, bootup, SLI video cards, NAS for storage. Pretty much dropped everything except Plex, things were good for a while

- Shield: HTPC went the way of the dodo, NAS for storage. Ran this happily for a year or so, but ran out of room on that NAS. The NAS is WD PR4100, 4x4TB drives (RAID 5, 12 TB usable), and I ran the PMS on it. The problem came about when 2 things happened: 1) Until Atmos became "a real thing", I'd run everything thru mkv, then Handbrake. I eventually decided that compression was evil, which led to increased file sizes, 2) 4kUHD came out, and movie sizes jumped from 4gig to 50 (on average). Suddenly 12 TB isn't enough.

I bought a new PR4100 over the weekend (4x 10TB, RAID 5 to 30TB). The plan is to migrate all movies to that NAS (BigNAS), and keep the first (SmallNAS) for music, pictures, local user drives, etc. While playing around over the weekend (it takes ~24 hrs to move 11 TB of movies), I started re-thinking my use cases and architecture. I'm writing this post to try to throw out all of the "interesting features" I've noticed lately, to see if anyone has ideas that I just haven't thought of.

First, Use cases:

- Primary: I have multiple Shields around the house, some hardwired, some Google WiFi, that I use to stream. The PRIMARY-primary is the Shield in the movie room. This shield is on the same gig switch as the NAS, and never has problems. I plan to run the PMS on BigNAS, and present primarily thru the Shield to the pre/pro.

- Secondary: The Wife's Mac in the kitchen is used to watch a lot of kids' media. It mostly accesses via web browser (IP address: 32400), and runs over wifi

- Tertiary: We run the app on our iPhones and iPads, and download local copies of movies to keep the animals (kids) happy when we travel

- Quarternary: I have friends on my Plex account, which allows library sharing, and they all have local Shields.

- Mapping SmallNAS shares to BigNAS PMS: The first thing I noticed after moving the Movies directory from SmallNAS to BigNAS was that I had to correct the Movies library directory (PMS running on SmallNAS at that point). I'm sure there's a way to do it, but I couldn't figure out a way to get PMS on SmallNAS to see shares on BigNAS. TBH, I only tried IP address and gave up, I haven't Googled or checked out the Plex forums yet.

- Dual-NAT: I have this in the house now (Verizon router + Google wifi), and haven't solved the problem yet. I can't play thru Plex direct b/c of it, and haven't had a chance to work thru it. Hoping someone here has a solution

- Mac behavior: The Mac and my PC are the only machines in the house not running the app, they connect thru web browsers. Whenever I watch thru my PC, I use IP:32400 to access, and that's it. When I do it on the Mac it redirects to plex.tv, and playback is no where near as smooth. Is there something I'm missing?

- Multiple PMS?: Each of my Shields has Plex installed, and the Shield remote is my primary interface device. That leads me to seeing 4 Plex servers in each menu, and it's pretty annoying. Am I unintentionally installing the Server each time, when I'm trying to install the Client? I always thought it was the same install, and I had to enable "Server" to make it one?

- RTFM: TBH, I just installed and started playing. I put the parts together the best way I could figure out, without ever stopping to think of alternate design options. IMO, the Plex website isn't exactly well setup for determining architectural and layout decisions. Anyone have a better way to run things for my house??

I get this occassionally too, usually when I'm watching (Disney) movies on the HTPC, to verify that MakeMKV did it's thing right. I read through the pages before and after this (I started on ~ 75 and read the last 15), and I never saw the answer to this post. Was there any resolution?

PLEASE don't respond with "Plex sux...", "Change to Emby...", "I'm still QQing over the patch that happened last December...". I'm only looking for recommendations to make me smarter on Plex.

Not knowing the full specs on your remaining HTPC, I’m still betting it would make a better Plex server than your NAS. Hardwired to router of course. That’s my .02.
post #2680 of 2772 Old 11-29-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post
Not knowing the full specs on your remaining HTPC, I’m still betting it would make a better Plex server than your NAS. Hardwired to router of course. That’s my .02.

Is PMS running on the shield or the NAS? Regardless the Mac, PC or the HTPC mentioned is most likely going to provide a better experience (speaking generally as I don’t know the specific hardware). Usually computers are going to have bigger processors/and or video cards. Usually you want to have one or the other if you’re supporting remote access as transcoding will be involved. Shield is great as a client.

The double NAT issue- this has been discussed quite a bit on the plex forums. I don’t remember specifics but I believe it requires a call to your isp. I’d definitely try the google as there are a lot of people that have run into this issue.
post #2681 of 2772 Old 11-29-2019, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post
I dig it, even a stripped down PC would have more processing and RAM. I don't know that I need it though? I can watch 4k .mkv's in the movie room, w/o any lag or stutter. IMO, that checks any box I'd have about whether or not the NAS + Shield combo meets my needs. At that point, what's the point of having a HTPC in the mix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat-ball View Post
Is PMS running on the shield or the NAS? Regardless the Mac, PC or the HTPC mentioned is most likely going to provide a better experience (speaking generally as I don’t know the specific hardware). Usually computers are going to have bigger processors/and or video cards. Usually you want to have one or the other if you’re supporting remote access as transcoding will be involved. Shield is great as a client.

The double NAT issue- this has been discussed quite a bit on the plex forums. I don’t remember specifics but I believe it requires a call to your isp. I’d definitely try the google as there are a lot of people that have run into this issue.
Currently PMS is running on both, but the only reason I installed it on the Shield is b/c I like using the Shield's remote/UI in the HT. Is there an easier way to do that w/o running PMS on the Shield?

Interesting, another vote for adding the HTPC back into the mix. It sounds like there are benefits here that I haven't considered. If a "Plex friend" can watch 4k @ his house (70+ mi away) in real time (after a 5 min pause to cache), what am I missing? IMO, that means that the NAS isn't the bind-point? After thinking this through again, it would also help with my "2 NAS problem". I could just map both drives to the HTPC, and map the directories w/in the PMS to the local drive letter. Hmmmm...

RGR, I figured there had to be something that had been discussed on the NAT, I'll check it out and see what I can find.

Thanks for the thoughts all, keep 'em coming!!

Last edited by DougUSMC; 11-29-2019 at 11:00 AM.
post #2682 of 2772 Old 11-29-2019, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

First, Use cases:

Hi Doug, I'm not sure from your post if the small htpc is still in the mix - but I've found the separate box for the plex server tends to be better overall, with a few slight drawbacks. I tend to like the separation of duty between server and client, and the nas often are a bit low powered if you need transcoding (which you dont for shield clients, but will for web and remote). The downside is the media will still need to go from the nas to the server on it's way to playback.

On the shields, check to make sure the plex servers are off, its installed by default, and that may be why you see multiple servers in your client.

Sent from my SM-T837V using Tapatalk

video: Lg 65e6, Oppo uhd-203, Roku ultra, nVidia Shield Pro
audio: Yamaha aventage 3050, ATI AT252NC, martin logan efx 7.1
gaming: Ps4-pro, Psvr, Ps3
other: Synology d216play, Panamax m-5300pm & m-5400pm, a billion smarthome things
post #2683 of 2772 Old 11-29-2019, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

FWIW (see below about support comments) I've been told multiple times from "plex support" that storing media on anything other than direct storage is not supported, including USB. I'm only passing along information so don't shoot the messenger.

Now about that support, it stinks, especially the past 18 months or so. I don't know what the PLEX end game is (I have theories) but they've tried to become everything to everybody and have failed to be much of anything to most. I know you asked not to hear this but you identified the issue, PLEX sux of late. LiveTV/DVR basics have remained unfixed for more than a year. One thread about DVR101 issues has been going on since July of 18. In June they out of the blue changed guide providers and things still aren't working as well as the once were. Last December they pulled the ROKU interface (swapped) and left things unusable for months, including over the Christmas/New Years period.

IMO PMS has become bloated with "features" that most will never use.

It sounds like you're in the process of some significant changes and IMO you owe it to yourself to investigate other solutions in the process.
It's a sound strategy regardless. Things change over time and should be evaluated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinningbull View Post
Hi Doug, I'm not sure from your post if the small htpc is still in the mix - but I've found the separate box for the plex server tends to be better overall, with a few slight drawbacks. I tend to like the separation of duty between server and client, and the nas often are a bit low powered if you need transcoding (which you dont for shield clients, but will for web and remote). The downside is the media will still need to go from the nas to the server on it's way to playback.

On the shields, check to make sure the plex servers are off, its installed by default, and that may be why you see multiple servers in your client.

Sent from my SM-T837V using Tapatalk
post #2684 of 2772 Old 11-29-2019, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinningbull View Post

Another vote for a dedicated box, I'm seeing a trend here. It's official: I pulled out an oldish i7 box, and I'm reloading Win10 on it real quick, to make a new PMS out of it. Will report back.

Quote:
FWIW (see below about support comments) I've been told multiple times from "plex support" that storing media on anything other than direct storage is not supported, including USB. I'm only passing along information so don't shoot the messenger.

Now about that support, it stinks, especially the past 18 months or so. I don't know what the PLEX end game is (I have theories) but they've tried to become everything to everybody and have failed to be much of anything to most. I know you asked not to hear this but you identified the issue, PLEX sux of late. LiveTV/DVR basics have remained unfixed for more than a year. One thread about DVR101 issues has been going on since July of 18. In June they out of the blue changed guide providers and things still aren't working as well as the once were. Last December they pulled the ROKU interface (swapped) and left things unusable for months, including over the Christmas/New Years period.

IMO PMS has become bloated with "features" that most will never use.

It sounds like you're in the process of some significant changes and IMO you owe it to yourself to investigate other solutions in the process.
It's a sound strategy regardless. Things change over time and should be evaluated.
I'm not saying that I was specifically talking about you when I said "No Plex sux... Still crying about last December's patch" comments. Then again, I'm not saying it WASN'T you...

Either way, thanks for stopping by and trying to help. (You may want to re-read my use cases above. I said that I've been using NAS for a while and am happy with it AND specifically didn't say anything about needing LiveTV/DVR)
post #2685 of 2772 Old 11-29-2019, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm not saying that I was specifically talking about you when I said "No Plex sux... Still crying about last December's patch" comments. Then again, I'm not saying it WASN'T you...
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and I don't recall saying you asked for LiveTV/DVR. I was just trying to educate you on the status of PLEX support these days.

Enjoy and bless your heart!
post #2686 of 2772 Old 11-29-2019, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and I don't recall saying you asked for LiveTV/DVR. I was just trying to educate you on the status of PLEX support these days.

Enjoy and bless your heart!
If you read the entire post I originally wrote, down the bottom I wrote "PLEASE don't respond with "Plex sux...", "Change to Emby...", "I'm still QQing over the patch that happened last December...". I'm only looking for recommendations to make me smarter on Plex."
(Read this as "no complaining as a pretend response please"

Earlier on I wrote " I read through the pages before and after this (I started on ~ 75 and read the last 15)".
(Read this as "I've already seen you complain, approx 2-3x per page, for 15 pages, over the last year. I don't need any more.)

You are correct that I didn't ask for LiveTV/DVR.
(Understand this to mean that I DON'T need to hear you complain about that feature, AGAIN, as it's not in my Use Cases)

So, I hope you NOW understand what I'm talking about: I came here looking for help on some specific things, and STRAIGHT OUT asked for help, not anyone to "educate me" or complain.

Aren't you just so helpful, in your own special way. I'll pray for you.
post #2687 of 2772 Old 11-29-2019, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Gotta love the snowflakes!

Quote:
If you read the entire post I originally wrote, down the bottom I wrote "PLEASE don't respond with "Plex sux...", "Change to Emby...", "I'm still QQing over the patch that happened last December...". I'm only looking for recommendations to make me smarter on Plex."

Earlier on I wrote " I read through the pages before and after this (I started on ~ 75 and read the last 15)".
(Read this as "I've already seen you complain, approx 2-3x per page, for 15 pages, over the last year. I don't need any more.)

(Understand this to mean that I DON'T need to hear you complain about that feature, AGAIN, as it's not in my Use Cases)

So, I hope you NOW understand what I'm talking about: I came here looking for help on some specific things, and STRAIGHT OUT asked for help, not anyone to "educate me" or complain.

post #2688 of 2772 Old 11-29-2019, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

post #2689 of 2772 Old 11-29-2019, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
First, congrats on the double post.

Secondly, take a minute to understand where my Screen Name came from; I'm likely the least snowflake on the forum.

Now, if your tender feelings are hurt b/c I both SPECIFICALLY asked for "someone very like you to not complain", then "called someone very like you out for being a whiner for the last year". Well, I guess we know who the snowflake really is. Interesting that you chose this moment to throw out that specific tag.

Bless YOUR heart...
post #2690 of 2772 Old 12-31-2019, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I got my hands on a desktop with a Core i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93GHz with 8GM RAM, 250GB HDD, running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. I want to run my Plex server on it for everything except music which currently is taking up almost all the space on my NAS. Even though it is not a NAS would a red series HDD still be recommended for ripping my video media?
post #2691 of 2772 Old 12-31-2019, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2316 Post(s)
Liked: 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic26 View Post
I got my hands on a desktop with a Core i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93GHz with 8GM RAM, 250GB HDD, running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. I want to run my Plex server on it for everything except music which currently is taking up almost all the space on my NAS. Even though it is not a NAS would a red series HDD still be recommended for ripping my video media?
Use SATA or eSATA, not USB. Win-10 can be set to power down SATA drives after an idle period.
I've been using Seagate Barracuda and WD Blue drives in my Plex server.
They generally last ~6yr

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #2692 of 2772 Old 01-01-2020, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Use SATA or eSATA, not USB. Win-10 can be set to power down SATA drives after an idle period.
I've been using Seagate Barracuda and WD Blue drives in my Plex server.
They generally last ~6yr

I probably should have reworded the question. I will be using the HDD for the OS and Plex that is in the box. I am wondering if Red NAS drives are best for the data since this system will do nothing more than run Plex.. Are you using the blue for your data?
post #2693 of 2772 Old 01-02-2020, 04:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2347 Post(s)
Liked: 2704
Quote:
I probably should have reworded the question. I will be using the HDD for the OS and Plex that is in the box.
The Red is optimized for fast read speed but the write speed is slow. That's great for storing and serving files that don't change very often but it's not a good choice if the OS will be on it. It would be better to put the OS on a SSD and use the Red only for media storage but if you only have room for a single drive get a normal desktop model like the Blue.
post #2694 of 2772 Old 01-02-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
I probably should have reworded the question. I will be using the HDD for the OS and Plex that is in the box. I am wondering if Red NAS drives are best for the data since this system will do nothing more than run Plex.. Are you using the blue for your data?
I use WD Blue and Seagate BarraCuda for the video data. It is easy to get SMART data from SATA/eSATA connected drives. It can be very difficult to get it from USB attached drives. I use SnapRAID for parity protection and it uses SmartMon Tools to monitor the SMART data and tell me how close the disks are to failure. Once you run out of room for the internal drives, buy a 4-bay external case with eSATA (like MediaSonic or Sybas) and an eSATA adapter card with port replicator for the PC. I started with a small Shuttle PC as my server in 2013 and over time have added 2 x 8-port MediaSonic eSATA cards and 4 x MediaSonic 4-bay eSATA enclosures. Slow but steady growth.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #2695 of 2772 Old 01-22-2020, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Recent issue - I started noticing the Episode posters don't match the TV show and it seems to be very random. Is there a fix for this or why this is happening?

All my TVShows are like this
TVShows

FBI

Season1

S01E01-Pilot.mkv

"You’re KILLIN’ ME Smalls! "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #2696 of 2772 Old 01-22-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post
Recent issue - I started noticing the Episode posters don't match the TV show and it seems to be very random. Is there a fix for this or why this is happening?

All my TVShows are like this
TVShows

FBI

Season1

S01E01-Pilot.mkv
I seem to recall that spaces are important.

Try this:

Season 01
S01E01 - Pilot.mkv

This is how all mine are titled on my Plex server.
No problems with scraped meta data.

- kelson h

post #2697 of 2772 Old 01-23-2020, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I seem to recall that spaces are important.

Try this:

Season 01
S01E01 - Pilot.mkv

This is how all mine are titled on my Plex server.
No problems with scraped meta data.

This seems to have fixed my issue -move all files for the show out of ‘sight’ of Plex
  1. do a Scan Library Files in the web app (not ‘Refresh all’)
  2. Empty Trash
  3. Clean Bundles
  4. double check files and move back to folder
  5. Scan Library Files again

"You’re KILLIN’ ME Smalls! "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #2698 of 2772 Old 01-24-2020, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 28
@DougUSMC , I would probably setup your old HTPC as your plex server as it will easily be more powerful than the NAS. Then you can point Plex to your NAS for all your media files.

I have a dedicated PC running 24/7 for my CCTV running BlueIris which also runs my plex server and it has been pretty much faultless for this purpose. It is also my NAS too so it's a bit different than your setup but will essentially be the same. It's an old (by today's standards anyway) core i7 920 running at 2.66Ghz with 16gb RAM which I built a long time ago and it's still running brilliantly. It was my HTPC which I re-purposed to a NAS.

I run 2 Shield's (cinema room and lounge) and they find the server easily and run without any transcoding. If it did need to transcode then it will be beefy enough I would think. What's the spec of your old HTPC anyway? I mainly have blu-ray MKV's but do have some full rips of 4K UHD's (test files ) which all run smoothly. The olny issue if you are concerned about it is power draw/cost from running a PC all the time as well as the NAS boxes. You could turn them off every night. I plan on running smart home (home assistant) stuff on mine too so it's quite nice to have it doing multiple things if it's on 24/7 anyway.

I would stick with BigNAS for media storage and SmallNAS for other stuff.

Can't fully remember the setup but go into settings on your SHIELD and turn off the server? Then hopefully you will only get the one server showing up in your list?

Might have to deal with double NAT once all the other bits are setup?

Hope that helps, sorry if it's all been said or you knew about it all already!

Cheers

Ash

Cinema Room: Denon AVP-A1HDA, Lumagen Radiance XE, JVC HD100 PJ + Schneider 2.35 Lens, Acer H9600BD 3D PJ, 8' wide 2.35:1 Screen, D-Box, Crowson Transducers, Parasound Halo JC-1, Halo A23 x 2, Chord SPM1200 x 2, B&W 802D + DS8 + SCMS, SVS PB13Ultra x 2, SVS ASEQ, OPPO 93, Nvidia Shield, SKY HD, PS3, XBOX One X, HTPC
post #2699 of 2772 Old 01-24-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post
This seems to have fixed my issue -move all files for the show out of ‘sight’ of Plex
  1. do a Scan Library Files in the web app (not ‘Refresh all’)
  2. Empty Trash
  3. Clean Bundles
  4. double check files and move back to folder
  5. Scan Library Files again
Glad it helped.

I've never had to do all that. I just move or rename the files at will and Plex always seems to catch up. Worst case, I just tell it to rescan the library.

- kelson h

post #2700 of 2772 Old 01-26-2020, 12:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Updated my Plex server the other day and loaded Plex on my Firestick and found I can now pass Atmos! Been avoid Plex since it has not done what I wanted, got notice that I"m in a trial or early roll out group when I loaded the app on my FS, thought I'd try it again. Not sure when it happened but I do not recall this being the case in the past. Now if I could only get it to not transcode 4K content to my Roku 4K display or my 4K firestick I'd be happy.
RobScreene likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page