Plex Discussion Thread - Page 92 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 321Likes

post #2731 of 2746 Old 01-31-2020, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5942 Post(s)
Liked: 4012
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
Except I get no buffering at all on any file (large or small) using Safari on my iMac with a very large library. So if you rule out networking it sounds to me like there’s a bottleneck somewhere.
Irrelevant. Your PMS and his PMS run on different machines with different file types and different work loads. You can't compare what your server can transcode at a given moment to someone else's. The size of the library is also irrelevant to the transcode process.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" ST130 G4 screen in batcave, htpc nvidia 1080ti madVR.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, Infinite Baffle Subs 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 2x12 fi audio mounted in main chair firing into back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2732 of 2746 Old 01-31-2020, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 2103 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Irrelevant. Your PMS and his PMS run on different machines with different file types and different work loads. You can't compare what your server can transcode at a given moment to someone else's. The size of the library is also irrelevant to the transcode process.

I’m saying I have no buffering and no problems using the same client and the same file types as Doug and yes, larger databases require more processing power than smaller ones but you’re right once the video is selected it is irrelevant. Furthermore I do no transcoding, it’s all Direct Play at Original Quality across the internal network.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #2733 of 2746 Old 01-31-2020, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Quote:
So playback via web browser requires the video / audio be transcoded into a format supported by that web browser. It's probably the least compatible way to watch. Try installing one of the plex clients on your mac. That is more likely to direct play.

You can see how playback is being handled on your plex server by loading the plex media server dashboard during playback and seeing if the stream is transcode or direct play etc.
Thanks, this sounds like it could be narrowing down to my problem set. The Shields and all the other apple products use the app, the Mac and PCs use browsers, but the PCs don't have a problem. I've suspected it was something about the IOS or Safari that was less efficient, and it sounds like the transcoding of the Safari browser could be the problem. I'll have to try to find the Plex app in the store from the Mac, and see how that affects things. That leads to another question though: I've never been able to install "just the client", I always end up with another Plex server showing on my network. Is there a different build, or something to specify that an install is just a client?

I've played w/the dashboard, but never noticed if a stream was transcode or direct play. Can you point me to where to find that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2734 of 2746 Old 02-02-2020, 03:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I’m saying I have no buffering and no problems using the same client and the same file types as Doug and yes, larger databases require more processing power than smaller ones but you’re right once the video is selected it is irrelevant. Furthermore I do no transcoding, it’s all Direct Play at Original Quality across the internal network.
Again, it doesn't make any difference whether or not things are working great for you. Things are also working great for me. Larger databases make no difference on playback of a video file. It's all irrelevant and not helpful to debugging the problem. Congrats that you're doing no transcoding. Sounds great. But also completely irrelevant to DoubUSMC's problem / solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougUSMC View Post
Thanks, this sounds like it could be narrowing down to my problem set. The Shields and all the other apple products use the app, the Mac and PCs use browsers, but the PCs don't have a problem. I've suspected it was something about the IOS or Safari that was less efficient, and it sounds like the transcoding of the Safari browser could be the problem. I'll have to try to find the Plex app in the store from the Mac, and see how that affects things. That leads to another question though: I've never been able to install "just the client", I always end up with another Plex server showing on my network. Is there a different build, or something to specify that an install is just a client?

I've played w/the dashboard, but never noticed if a stream was transcode or direct play. Can you point me to where to find that?
Here is a photo showing it circled in the plex media server dashboard. In this example, the audio and video are both being transcoded.
It's also possible that the browser uses hardware acceleration on the PC where the browser is using software on your mac. There are too many unknowns here. Start with determining if you're having a server or a client problem by examining the dashboard and we go from there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plexdashboard.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	615.9 KB
ID:	2679096  

Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, Infinite Baffle Subs 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 2x12 fi audio mounted in main chair firing into back.
post #2735 of 2746 Old 02-02-2020, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Again, it doesn't make any difference whether or not things are working great for you. Things are also working great for me. Larger databases make no difference on playback of a video file. It's all irrelevant and not helpful to debugging the problem. Congrats that you're doing no transcoding. Sounds great. But also completely irrelevant to DoubUSMC's problem / solution.

Here is a photo showing it circled in the plex media server dashboard. In this example, the audio and video are both being transcoded.

It's also possible that the browser uses hardware acceleration on the PC where the browser is using software on your mac. There are too many unknowns here. Start with determining if you're having a server or a client problem by examining the dashboard and we go from there.

You are all over the place. Calm down.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #2736 of 2746 Old 02-03-2020, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Awesome, thanks! I have to admit, I've been to the dashboard a million times and never bothered to click on the playing item ot get the details to drop down!

I grabbed the client for the Mac, but there's another challenge: Because we have the Mac in the kitchen and "who knows" who uses it and what gets downloaded, it runs as a Guest user to reduce permissions and risk. When I use the Plex Client as a "real user" it's fine, but it won't run as guest...

Quote:
You are all over the place. Calm down.
No, he's actually not, he's giving useful information that's helping me troubleshoot my experience. Unlike "database size", which would be irrelevant since the other 6 items that connect to the same Plex server aren't having any difficulties due the the number of files I'm serving up.
markmon1 likes this.
post #2737 of 2746 Old 02-03-2020, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougUSMC View Post
Awesome, thanks! I have to admit, I've been to the dashboard a million times and never bothered to click on the playing item ot get the details to drop down!

I grabbed the client for the Mac, but there's another challenge: Because we have the Mac in the kitchen and "who knows" who uses it and what gets downloaded, it runs as a Guest user to reduce permissions and risk. When I use the Plex Client as a "real user" it's fine, but it won't run as guest...

No, he's actually not, he's giving useful information that's helping me troubleshoot my experience. Unlike "database size", which would be irrelevant since the other 6 items that connect to the same Plex server aren't having any difficulties due the the number of files I'm serving up.

Uh huh, well glad you solved your problem but sorry I tried to help.

Mike
post #2738 of 2746 Old 02-05-2020, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Uh huh, well glad you solved your problem but sorry I tried to help.
The problem isn't solved, but we're backeting closer - which is a good step for me.

IDK about others reading the thread, but I didn't see it as "trying to help. I read it as "trying to be right" and "trying to throw out 'smarter comments'", neither of which helps much. If I'm off base there, my apologies.

Just a couple of thoughts, from someone that's been in the tech business for 25+ years (note I said tech, not AV*):
- You said right up front that you hadn't been in my situation b/c your solution was different. I appreciated that, and clarified the differences and thanked you for your help
- SMB (Server Message Block) is a comms protocol, for accessing file shares. The PMS should be the only one using it, then serving everything else up via other protocols (https, for ex). Given that the other desktops in the house aren't having a problem, that's likely not the issue.
- Again, mapped drives or no shouldn't matter, if the other devices are all streaming better than the Mac. The only device accessing the share is the PMS, which is far less likely to be having problems if the other machines are fine.
- Whether or not you have problems with buffering doesn't affect how my setup works. If you brought YOUR iMac over to my house, connected to my network, and streamed from my PMS with no buffering, THAT would be a good test of whether or not there's a bottleneck. Then again, it would show that there's something wrong w/my iMac, which is what I actually suspect.
- Be careful using "bottleneck", that term is too ambiguous. You're basically saying "something isn't flowing right somewhere". I'm putting that straight in the "no diggity" column, since the whole reason I posted was b/c my iMac wasn't performing as well as everything else.
- I don't really understand the "larger DBs vs smaller DBs" comment? I have (maybe) 700 movies in my PMS, which is microscopic even for an Access DB.
- Processing power for transcoding is relevant, in as much as I understand transcoding, which is my weakest understanding of this conversation. The problem is that you don't know what I'm running my PMS on (hardware wise), so you can't really compare it to yours.
- For internet etiquette, I would strongly recommend against telling someone that they're all over the place, and then to calm down. A) That's just rude, B) It shows that you're "arguing to be right" vs. "trying to impart knowledge", C) You went from SMB to your rig, to bottleneck, to DBs - If anyone was all over the place you are. THAT's the point at which I decided you weren't trying to help, and why I responded "he's giving useful info... vs. DB size".

* Note that I said "tech" not AV. If I were AV, I would be stronger with things like transcoding, etc; and likely giving advice here than asking for it.
markmon1 and beerhunt like this.
post #2739 of 2746 Old 02-08-2020, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked: 708
https://digistatement.com/plex-media...s-plex-outage/

So if Plex servers go down you can't access media in your home? Score one for Emby. Does this have something to do with how they have web access setup.

I assume this could happen with Emby connect. But if I'm just trying to connect to my local machine I would be pretty annoyed if an eternal outage blocked that.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #2740 of 2746 Old 02-08-2020, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

So if Plex servers go down you can't access media in your home? Score one for Emby. Does this have something to do with how they have web access setup.

I assume this could happen with Emby connect. But if I'm just trying to connect to my local machine I would be pretty annoyed if an eternal outage blocked that.
No, local media on your own server would not be affected.

Mike
post #2741 of 2746 Old 02-08-2020, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:
No, local media on your own server would not be affected.

So what just the new streaming service they have? Don't think people are all that worried about that. The tweets in that link seem to say otherwise. People unable to use the app even.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #2742 of 2746 Old 02-08-2020, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Plex Discussion Thread

Quote:
So what just the new streaming service they have? Don't think people are all that worried about that. The tweets in that link seem to say otherwise. People unable to use the app even.

Yeah probably the new movies and tv service. I can see it's greyed out on my mobile device. They used to have a Plex cloud too but my Plex Pass never had that so I can't tell if that's up or not.

Edit: Movies and TV streaming service just came back up.

Edit2: There is a web app (Plex.tv) that is used to connect to your servers and it just went down so they are having problems.

Mike

Last edited by m_snow; 02-08-2020 at 12:20 PM.
post #2743 of 2746 Old 02-08-2020, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

THis might help - https://www.howtogeek.com/303282/how...ternet-access/
post #2744 of 2746 Old Today, 12:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Furthermore I do no transcoding, it’s all Direct Play at Original Quality across the internal network.

So, where do you set that exactly?

It would be great if the Plex app (on Apple-TV) would just "play the files" (with no trans-coding).
Similar to how Kodi on Windows-10 works.

Epson 8350 3LCD Projector (96" @ 1080p) ~ Panasonic 850u 46" Plasma TV (1080p)
Onkyo TX-sr607 AVR ~ Cisco 8742hdc DVR (Spectrum) ~ Panasonic BD60 Blu-Ray Player
AppleTV-4 (iTunes,Plex,MA,Asphalt-8) ~ Simple Control HA ~ Alexa Echo Plus w/Hub
Harmony 670 Remote ~ HTPC (Kodi/Win10-64) Media-Server ~ Synology DS412+ 16tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series-II CS-2 Center, 60 pair, three 40's / PSW-505 12-Inch Sub = 6.1
post #2745 of 2746 Old Today, 01:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

It would be great if the Plex app (on Apple-TV) would just "play the files" (with no trans-coding).
That would be great, but it is not that simple. The files are in a specific format, who knows what they are. The server can decode *any* format. The client is limited to what the platform allows for decode. The plex app then negotiates with the plex server for which formats it can direct play. If the client is capable of it, the playback is direct play. If it is not, the playback is transcoded. Apple TV is one of the most locked down platforms that exist so I wouldn't expect that to be very flexible.

post #2746 of 2746 Old Today, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

I’m referring to video transcoding. Audio transcoding really depends on format. For video there’s a couple of places:
1. On the server make sure your sending “original quality”. Also under Transcoding/Advanced you can check the “Disable video stream decoding” option (although I’ve never needed to do that).
2. On the Apple TV 4K Plex client go to Settings/Advanced and turn on “Allow Direct Play”.

It’s not like Kodi where you can play them directly from your connected drives. Instead it’s playing them across the network with Plex.

Hope that helps.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page