Are You Looking For A Less Expensive Norco 4220 / 4224 Alternative? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #61 of 2549 Old 06-03-2012, 03:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I live in a condo that shares a wall with next unit. If i stick this in my utility room with the door closed, will it still likely to be heard?

I like your mods, but no cash at the moment for new fans and extra stuff. I got a 750w psu I will stick in there through. Eventually I will get what you recommended through. So keep updating your experiences for us!

In any case, I don't need this immediately, I was just gonna stick WHS on this thing to make sure things worked, and wait till I can get fans and such. I don't need any extra programs to share media do I?(Plex mentioned earlier). I mean WHS has smb doesn't it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2549 Old 06-03-2012, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydee View Post

I live in a condo that shares a wall with next unit. If i stick this in my utility room with the door closed, will it still likely to be heard?

I like your mods, but no cash at the moment for new fans and extra stuff. I got a 750w psu I will stick in there through. Eventually I will get what you recommended through. So keep updating your experiences for us!

In any case, I don't need this immediately, I was just gonna stick WHS on this thing to make sure things worked, and wait till I can get fans and such. I don't need any extra programs to share media do I?(Plex mentioned earlier). I mean WHS has smb doesn't it?

There is no question it will be heard! Even if you remove the back window fans... the pitch of even one of the PSU fans will give you a headache. Like mcturkey said... unmodified, the server is comparable to 4-5 (or more) hairdryers running non stop, at full blast.

In order to install your 750 PSU... mods will need to be made. Otherwise, there is simply no room to install it.

As far as WHS... I have tried both. WHS v1 will work fine, but WHS 2011 will allow you to take advantage of the 64bit.

I use my unit as a file server, to share media with my Dune HD media player... no extra software is needed... Extra software is required for those looking to use this machine as a HTPC.

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back.

~ Swearengen
post #63 of 2549 Old 06-03-2012, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

If you plan on making similar mods to the server case... like I did.

Please call Norco to get a 4224/4220 "back window" before purchasing the server on ebay!

It would suck if you got the server and then found out you couldn't get the parts to modify it!

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back.

~ Swearengen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 2549 Old 06-03-2012, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlgi74 View Post

If you plan on making similar mods to the server case... like I did.

Please call Norco to get a 4224/4220 "back window" before purchasing the server on ebay!

It would suck if you got the server and then found out you couldn't get the parts to modify it!

Many thanks for all your advice. I'll definitely be giving them a call tomorrow am (granted, I already bought the server -- maybe my mod can be a 'backless build' if I can't get it ).

Srsly though -- on the off-chance you remember, what size drill bit did you use to make the holes? 3/16th inch? Quarter inch? Please forgive the noob question. I'm probably going overboard on the 'measure twice, cut once' mantra, but I'm pretty much an idiot when it comes to case mods, and I can't afford a 50% failure rate on my cuts.
post #65 of 2549 Old 06-03-2012, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

BTW, I put everything in my shopping cart on newegg. Luckily, I have a leftover gift card from my in-laws from xmas.

If I can get the fan plate for $10 and the back plate for $8, and I get my rebates for WHS and the Corsair, then the cost to me for all the mod components will be $28.

If this all works out, I will be naming my next kid Litlgi74.
post #66 of 2549 Old 06-03-2012, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrlnsDukie View Post

Srsly though -- on the off-chance you remember, what size drill bit did you use to make the holes? 3/16th inch? Quarter inch? Please forgive the noob question. I'm probably going overboard on the 'measure twice, cut once' mantra, but I'm pretty much an idiot when it comes to case mods, and I can't afford a 50% failure rate on my cuts.

Sorry, I am not sure what size drill bit I used.

There are two ways to go at this:
1. Drill the hole slightly smaller than the threaded part of the standoff so that you can torque the standoff into the base of the server case with a 5MM socket screwdriver. (Like this)
2. Drill the hole slightly larger than the threaded part of the standoff so that you can easily attach a nut to the standoff on the underside of the server case... Remember to clean/file the metal bur after drilling, otherwise the nut will not meet the threads of the brass standoff.

I will let you decide which you are brave enough to do.

PS... I tried the first option and ended up stripping a few standoffs... so I finished the job with option two.

Notice at the very bottom of the above picture... there are small vent holes machined into the base of the server case. Unfortunately... this area is at the edge of the motherboard, where three standoffs are supposed to be... There was no way for me to attach standoffs in this location... And because of this... you will need to be extra careful not to flex the motherboard if you plan on using the onboard IDE connections... I did not use them... So no biggy!

~ Swearengen
post #67 of 2549 Old 06-03-2012, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrlnsDukie View Post

BTW, I put everything in my shopping cart on newegg. Luckily, I have a leftover gift card from my in-laws from xmas.

If I can get the fan plate for $10 and the back plate for $8, and I get my rebates for WHS and the Corsair, then the cost to me for all the mod components will be $28.

If this all works out, I will be naming my next kid Litlgi74.

That's awesome... good for you!

I have another friend who Norco charged $20 for the back window. But still quite worth it IMO.

I am not saying my server fans are loud... But if you are looking for as quiet as possible and you can spring for the extra cash... the Silenx fans may not be as quiet as Noctua 80mm and 120mms. I may decide to return mine for the highly rated Noctua fans.

PS... my name is John. I just use the handle Litlgi74 because my grandfather always called me "Little Guy".

~ Swearengen
post #68 of 2549 Old 06-03-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 283
I like nexus fans better for almost half the cost of noctua.
post #69 of 2549 Old 06-03-2012, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

That's awesome... good for you!

I have another friend who Norco charged $20 for the back window. But still quite worth it IMO.

I am not saying my server fans are loud... But if you are looking for as quiet as possible and you can spring for the extra cash... the Silenx fans may not be as quiet as Noctua 80mm and 120mms. I may decide to return mine for the highly rated Noctua fans.

PS... my name is John. I just use the handle Litlgi74 because my grandfather always called me "Little Guy".

I think I may grab the 120's, but stick with the SilenX for the 80's.
post #70 of 2549 Old 06-03-2012, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

1. Drill the hole slightly smaller than the threaded part of the standoff so that you can torque the standoff into the base of the server case with a 5MM socket screwdriver. (Like this)
2. Drill the hole slightly larger than the threaded part of the standoff so that you can easily attach a nut to the standoff on the underside of the server case... Remember to clean/file the metal bur after drilling, otherwise the nut will not meet the threads of the brass standoff.

Or option (3), the correct way is to use a drill and tap to create a threaded hole. You can buy drill and tap sets at good hardware stores, or you can buy taps individually, for example, from McMaster-Carr.
post #71 of 2549 Old 06-03-2012, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

There's nothing I enjoy more than a threaded hole...
post #72 of 2549 Old 06-03-2012, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2100 View Post

Or option (3), the correct way is to use a drill and tap to create a threaded hole. You can buy drill and tap sets at good hardware stores, or you can buy taps individually, for example, from McMaster-Carr.

Well that didn't take long You are 100% correct. They have very inexpensive tap and die sets at Harbor Freight as well.

I started the modifications to the server late Saturday evening and my impatience got the best of me. I just wanted to get it done and fire it up ASAP!

Thanks for mentioning it.

~ Swearengen
post #73 of 2549 Old 06-07-2012, 07:23 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlgi74 View Post

The seller was also willing to give me the option of which drive trays I wanted... Blue or Black.

Which ones did you end up going with?
post #74 of 2549 Old 06-07-2012, 08:33 AM

Liked: 10
Any idea on the power draw at idle, and with the drives spun up?

How hard would it be to turn this into a consumer-grade server/htpc? As has been said before, it's worth the $199 for the case alone. Let me explain what I mean by consumer-grade...

Here's the list of modifications I would make

Typical fan mods to quiet the beast
Replace the power supplies
Yank out the motherboard and go with a more HTPC-friendly board - read: AMD llano or Intel i3 for integrated video, low power consumption, etc.
Plug the expanders into an honest to goodness RAID Controller like the Adaptec 6805
Insert a Ceton Infinitv
Install Win7, running media center and mediabrowser and all the goodies.

I know I'll end up doing the same kind of mod the OP did, drilling new standoffs for the Motherboard to get it seated properly. Also, will have to do something similar to modify the case to accommodate an ATX PSU.

This would become the centerpiece of my entertainment center, plugged into my A/V receiver, but hidden away in a closet or cabinet (TBD). It would also be used to serve two XBOX360's located in different rooms in the house over wired network.

So AVS, I ask you: should I take the leap and start on this project, or is this pure folly?
post #75 of 2549 Old 06-07-2012, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-95 View Post

Which ones did you end up going with?

I ended up with the black ones... just because I like them more.

~ Swearengen
post #76 of 2549 Old 06-07-2012, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGFreeh View Post

Any idea on the power draw at idle, and with the drives spun up?
How hard would it be to turn this into a consumer-grade server/htpc? As has been said before, it's worth the $199 for the case alone. Let me explain what I mean by consumer-grade...
Here's the list of modifications I would make
Typical fan mods to quiet the beast
Replace the power supplies
Yank out the motherboard and go with a more HTPC-friendly board - read: AMD llano or Intel i3 for integrated video, low power consumption, etc.
Plug the expanders into an honest to goodness RAID Controller like the Adaptec 6805
Insert a Ceton Infinitv
Install Win7, running media center and mediabrowser and all the goodies.
I know I'll end up doing the same kind of mod the OP did, drilling new standoffs for the Motherboard to get it seated properly. Also, will have to do something similar to modify the case to accommodate an ATX PSU.
This would become the centerpiece of my entertainment center, plugged into my A/V receiver, but hidden away in a closet or cabinet (TBD). It would also be used to serve two XBOX360's located in different rooms in the house over wired network.
So AVS, I ask you: should I take the leap and start on this project, or is this pure folly?

I have 16 drives installed... UPS shows 195w

Not sure why you couldn't do any of your plans... You will just need to get the Norco "Back Window" and "Fan Wall" or one from a similar manufacturer... The rest should pretty easy.

I say... GO FOR IT!

~ Swearengen
post #77 of 2549 Old 06-07-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Done any drive I/O throughput tests on that box? Both local and network drive access, that is.

Just how well does it perform?

I've got a pair of servers that could be nicely consolidated in something like that, but not if it's got weak storage throughput.
post #78 of 2549 Old 06-07-2012, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

Done any drive I/O throughput tests on that box? Both local and network drive access, that is.
Just how well does it perform?
I've got a pair of servers that could be nicely consolidated in something like that, but not if it's got weak storage throughput.

Using JBOD or Flexraid, I see ~100MB/s read/write on large transfers, which is way more than enough for media streaming.
post #79 of 2549 Old 06-07-2012, 06:53 PM

Liked: 12
Ordered one! Got an Intel one but it doesn't matter since I will be replacing the internals.

Also got the fan wall for $10 and the 4224 back window for $12.
Litlgi74 likes this.
post #80 of 2549 Old 06-07-2012, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked: 471
I have to check this forum more often but....

DUDE!!!! You let our secret out!!! LOL

I also got one of these last month and by far its the best deal of the year for a totally built 24-bay media server.

If I wasn't saving money for something else I would buy one or two more.
post #81 of 2549 Old 06-07-2012, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

I have to check this forum more often but....
DUDE!!!! You let our secret out!!! LOL
I also got one of these last month and by far its the best deal of the year for a totally built 24-bay media server.
If I wasn't saving money for something else I would buy one or two more.

Our secret??? Hahaha...

PS... to everyone else reading this... It is users like Killroy who make this forum great. He has gone out of his way, on multiple occasions to personally walk me through my misunderstanding and ignorance of home server building. With (4) 20+ bay servers and 120TBs of data storage at his home... He is a been then and done that kind of guy... The advice he has given is GOLD!... and I got a new friend who also enjoys spending thousands of dollars on "new" server equipment because we can't seem to part with/delete any of our BD/DVD rips... even if they suck!

Thanks Killroy!

~ Swearengen
post #82 of 2549 Old 06-07-2012, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Our secret??? Hahaha...
PS... to everyone else reading this... It is users like Killroy who make this forum great. He has gone out of his way, on multiple occasions to personally walk me through my misunderstanding and ignorance of home server building. With (4) 20+ bay servers and 120TBs of data storage at his home... He is a been then and done that kind of guy... The advice he has given is GOLD!... and I got a new friend who also enjoys spending thousands of dollars on "new" server equipment because we can't seem to part with/delete any of our BD/DVD rips... even if they suck!
Thanks Killroy!

Great!! There goes my tough guy, meanie, and a$$hole reputation.
post #83 of 2549 Old 06-07-2012, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

BTW, Allen Liu and the Norco guys were very prompt and helpful. The back window was $21 shipped.

I've now gotten everything delivered. Got everything in Litlgi's build except I splurged for the Noctua 120's. With the gift card, and including WHS, my overall cost was $360.eek.gif

Now I have to somehow find time to do the mods in the next month. frown.gif

A huge thumbs up and thanks to Litlgi for his help!
post #84 of 2549 Old 06-07-2012, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrlnsDukie View Post

BTW, Allen Liu and the Norco guys were very prompt and helpful. The back window was $21 shipped.
I've now gotten everything delivered. Got everything in Litlgi's build except I splurged for the Noctua 120's. With the gift card, and including WHS, my overall cost was $360.eek.gif
Now I have to somehow find time to do the mods in the next month. frown.gif
A huge thumbs up and thanks to Litlgi for his help!

My pleasure!!! You received your server already... Did you power it on yet... Loud huh?!?!?! biggrin.gif

Now don't forget what you said about naming your child after me!

~ Swearengen
post #85 of 2549 Old 06-07-2012, 09:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dude, I gotta get it working first.

I'll probably end up screwing my case into the kitchen table.biggrin.gif
post #86 of 2549 Old 06-07-2012, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Dude, I gotta get it working first.
I'll probably end up screwing my case into the kitchen table.biggrin.gif

Before you do any mods... plug it in as you received it.... Let us now how quiet it is! Hahahaha

~ Swearengen
post #87 of 2549 Old 06-07-2012, 09:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Before you do any mods... plug it in as you received it.... Let us now how quiet it is! Hahahaha

LOL

I just got the kids to sleep. No way I'm risking it.tongue.gif
post #88 of 2549 Old 06-07-2012, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

LOL
I just got the kids to sleep. No way I'm risking it.tongue.gif

Good call. You would wake them up, the kids down the block and probably a few of the dead ones at your local cemetery. Those 60mm fans are the loudest fans I have ever heard. They gave me a migraine in less than 10-minutes.
post #89 of 2549 Old 06-07-2012, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Don't bother trying to use those darn rubber/silicon fasteners on the case fans... the broke in less than two weeks.

Once again... KIllroy was right... screws never seem to break! eek.gif

~ Swearengen
post #90 of 2549 Old 06-08-2012, 01:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, just started it up in the guest room w/o mods (fwiw, the guest room is only used by my in-laws 4 days a yr at most, and the door is always closed so that my Great Danes won't start sleeping on the bed).

At first, my reaction while watching TV/Movies in the downstairs HTPC lab (one wall, and about 30 feet, away) was that I didn't think the noise was that bad. I went upstairs to our main living area (and our main HT), and couldn't hear a thing. Frankly, the only fan noise I could hear was from the fans for my Sanus rack, which is right next to the HT in another room.

Now, OTOH, it's been about 30 minutes, and I am still watching TV downstairs. I've become more attuned to the high-pitched whirring of it. Our AC is actually louder than it is, but the rub is that the AC is not as high-pitched (some of you may assume that the AC isn't on that much, but, if you'll notice my handle, it's on about 11 months of the year here.

I'm actually debating the possibility of building the server db as-is right now. I think what I'll do is leave it running the next couple of days and, if both my nanny and wife complain about the noise, I'll do the full mod -- because, let's be frank here, the main mod that's necessary is the PSU, and there's just no way to switch PSU's unless you do the full mod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Norco Rpc 4020 4u Rackmount Server Chassis W 20 Hot Swappable Sata Sas Drive Bays , Norco

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page