Are You Looking For A Less Expensive Norco 4220 / 4224 Alternative? - Page 84 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #2491 of 2547 Old 04-18-2018, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlgi74 View Post
As Killroy and I have said.. . yes.
OK, thanks. It's always better to ask than assume. Much appreciated guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2492 of 2547 Old 04-18-2018, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
It looks like the MCP-220-84601-0N can be found online... The Wiredzone.com drop ships directly from Supermicro.

I am sure you could find it elsewhere for less.

Hope this helps.

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back.

~ Swearengen
post #2493 of 2547 Old 04-18-2018, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It looks like the MCP-220-84601-0N can be found online... The Wiredzone.com drop ships directly from Supermicro.

I am sure you could find it elsewhere for less.

Hope this helps.
I found one from another source for only $4.95, but they wanted something like $22 to ship it via FedEx. I'm surprised that none of these are showing up on ebay. I figured a lot of people were gutting the Supermicro chassis' and installing their own components and selling the surplus components on ebay. I did that with my motherboard, CPU, memory, and controller cards and recouped about half the cost of the server chassis, IIRC.

Looking at the bracket I think I'll probably just pick up a flat metal 3.5" to 2.5" hard drive bracket and just drill a couple of holes in it to mount it to the two standoffs so I can mount my 2.5" SSD that I use for a cache drive. I'll use the 3.5" bracket that came with the server to mount my 2nd parity drive.

Last edited by captain_video; 04-18-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2494 of 2547 Old 04-18-2018, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Why not just use some velcro or some double-sided tape?

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back.

~ Swearengen
post #2495 of 2547 Old 04-19-2018, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Why not just use some velcro or some double-sided tape?
I could do that for the SSD cache drive. I already picked up an inexpensive bracket on ebay that I can modify.
post #2496 of 2547 Old 05-15-2018, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm in the process of restoring my SC846 chassis back to it's original configuration using the PWS-920P-SW power supply instead of my standard PC PSU. I noticed that the power supply distribution board includes a 4-wire harness with a 5-pin connector labeled "PD." I've looked in the manual for the server chassis and can't find out where this connector is supposed to go. I've replaced the original Supermicro motherboard with a standard PC motherboard so I'm not sure if this was supposed to connect to the old server motherboard or the SAS backplane. Is this harness important or can I leave it disconnected?
post #2497 of 2547 Old 05-17-2018, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
I'm in the process of restoring my SC846 chassis back to it's original configuration using the PWS-920P-SW power supply instead of my standard PC PSU. I noticed that the power supply distribution board includes a 4-wire harness with a 5-pin connector labeled "PD." I've looked in the manual for the server chassis and can't find out where this connector is supposed to go. I've replaced the original Supermicro motherboard with a standard PC motherboard so I'm not sure if this was supposed to connect to the old server motherboard or the SAS backplane. Is this harness important or can I leave it disconnected?
I have mine disconnected and its works fine. It connects to the motherboard.

Quote:
The PWRI2C header is for I2C, which may be used to monitor the status of the power supply, fans and system temperature. See the table on the right for pin definitions.

DIY Sound Group: Information and Tips

Last edited by Mrkazador; 05-17-2018 at 10:05 AM.
post #2498 of 2547 Old 05-17-2018, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post
I have mine disconnected and its works fine. It connects to the motherboard.

Thanks. I forgot about that feature on the Supermicro motherboards. I have to replace the Norco fanwall with the original fanwall in order to complete the upgrade, but I didn't want to use the stock fans that came with it because of the noise level. I've ordered five Noctua 80mm case fans to replace the stock fans and they should be here on Friday. I'm hoping that I can get to it this weekend as long as the wife doesn't have anything planned.
post #2499 of 2547 Old 05-20-2018, 11:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I have a question..

Waaaaay back on the first page of this thread besides the SM chassis there was also the AIC RSC-4ED2 chassis as well. I still have the AIC case though it hasn't been used very much. All of the original parts and the power hungry motherboard were all recycled.

Question, I was wondering about the reliably of the backplane on the AIC chassis. It obviously isn't an SM backplane, but this one has the individual SATA connectors where i can connect some HBA's to it and have full 6gb speed on future hard drives since the BP is basically pass-through. Considering using it for either unRAID or FreeNAS or possibly an Ubuntu file server. Most likely for cold storage.

Is anyone still using the AIC chassis?
post #2500 of 2547 Old 05-20-2018, 11:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What's the reason for restoring your SC846 chassis to the original configuration? I still have an 846 that I bought from a fellow forum member here a few years back that was modded also and have a few times thought about restoring it back to original spec as well (minus the loud fans). Only thing is I don't know where the PS dist board and related components can be found. Plus one of the 846's has something the others did not, and that was the air shroud that went over the motherboard (fans blew over it).
post #2501 of 2547 Old 05-21-2018, 03:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post
What's the reason for restoring your SC846 chassis to the original configuration? I still have an 846 that I bought from a fellow forum member here a few years back that was modded also and have a few times thought about restoring it back to original spec as well (minus the loud fans). Only thing is I don't know where the PS dist board and related components can be found. Plus one of the 846's has something the others did not, and that was the air shroud that went over the motherboard (fans blew over it).
I wanted to restore it back to the original configuration so I could use the PWS-920-SQ power supplies instead of the original power supplies that came with the server chassis. The original power supplies screamed like banshees when they were in operation and were entirely to loud, which is why most of us modded the chassis so we could use a standard PC PSU. The downside of doing that is that you lose the mounting brackets for the extra drives on the side of the PSU enclosure. I run unRAID in my server and I currently use an SSD as a cache drive in my setup. Right now the cache drive is just propped up inside the case and not really attached to anything. UnRAID now supports dual parity drives and I would like to take advantage of that, but I have nowhere to mount a full-sized drive with my current setup. Restoring the original configuration allows me to mount both the cache drive and the 2nd parity drive on the side of the PSU enclosure.

In addition, the original PSUs were only rated at 720 watts. The PWS-920-SQ is rated at 920 watts. I was using an 850-watt Corsair PSU in my setup, which consists of a single parity drive, one cache drive, and 28 data drives, 24 of which are mounted in the server drive bays along with the parity drive. The extra five drives are located in an external enclosure that are connected directly to the SATA ports on the motherboard and run off the internal PSU. The 24 internal drives are connected to three 8-port SATA controllers. The cache drive is connected to the 6th onboard SATA port on the motherboard. I have an additional dual-port SATA controller located in a X1 PCI-e slot. I'll move the cache drive to that controller and use the onboard SATA port for the extra parity drive. That still leaves me with a spare port if I ever want to add a 2nd cache drive. The PWS-920-SQ PSU gives me the extra wattage to support the additional drives.

I had to restore the original fan wall in the process. I replaced the loud 80mm case fans with Noctua 80mm fans. The case isn't as cool as it was before, but the drives are all still operating within acceptable temperatures so I'm not concerned too much about it.

BTW, not all of the servers came with the air shroud. The shroud is designed for maximum air flow across the CPU and memory from the front to the back of the case. The air blows through it, not over it.

Last edited by captain_video; 05-21-2018 at 04:12 AM.
post #2502 of 2547 Old 05-21-2018, 04:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I wanted to restore it back to the original configuration so I could use the PWS-920-SQ power supplies instead of the original power supplies that came with the server chassis. The original power supplies screamed like banshees when they were in operation and were entirely to loud, which is why most of us modded the chassis so we could use a standard PC PSU. The downside of doing that is that you lose the mounting brackets for the extra drives on the side of the PSU enclosure. I run unRAID in my server and I currently use an SSD as a cache drive in my setup. Right now the cache drive is just propped up inside the case and not really attached to anything. UnRAID now supports dual parity drives and I would like to take advantage of that, but I have nowhere to mount a full-sized drive with my current setup. Restoring the original configuration allows me to mount both the cache drive and the 2nd parity drive on the side of the PSU enclosure.

In addition, the original PSUs were only rated at 720 watts. The PWS-920-SQ is rated at 920 watts. I was using an 850-watt Corsair PSU in my setup, which consists of a single parity drive, one cache drive, and 28 data drives, 24 of which are mounted in the server drive bays along with the parity drive. The extra five drives are located in an external enclosure that are connected directly to the SATA ports on the motherboard and run off the internal PSU. The 24 internal drives are connected to three 8-port SATA controllers. The cache drive is connected to the 6th onboard SATA port on the motherboard. I have an additional dual-port SATA controller located in a X1 PCI-e slot. I'll move the cache drive to that controller and use the onboard SATA port for the extra parity drive. That still leaves me with a spare port if I ever want to add a 2nd cache drive. The PWS-920-SQ PSU gives me the extra wattage to support the additional drives.

I had to restore the original fan wall in the process. I replaced the loud 80mm case fans with Noctua 80mm fans. The case isn't as cool as it was before, but the drives are all still operating within acceptable temperatures so I'm not concerned too much about it.

BTW, not all of the servers came with the air shroud. The shroud is designed for maximum air flow across the CPU and memory from the front to the back of the case. The air blows through it, not over it.

Okay, that makes sense. I have several of the 920-SQ PSU's that I had gotten to replace the banshee yelling Ablecom PSU's. They do remain pretty quiet while the system is off unlike the Ablecomms which stayed running full blast, but they do spin up once powered on. I had an extra 846 chassis which had the extra HDD bracket that wasn't in use so I transferred it to the case where now I had two of the brackets to use, making it easy to support the dual parity drives.

The current version of unRAID now has it where you can enable a setting (reconstruct-write) in the disk settings where it can write to the protected array at much faster speed where it may eliminate the need for the cache drive, unless one is using it for VM's and dockers. A 1TB and up SSD is still very expensive. In my use case I am only using it purely for file storage since I use XenServer on another host for my VM's.

The only 846 case I bought that had the air shroud was the one I gotten from Mr. Rackables.....the older ones I gotten from Tams several years ago didn't have them. The shroud made sense for those systems that had the passive heatsinks and the RAM that ran hot so the strong flow of air through them kept them cool.
post #2503 of 2547 Old 05-21-2018, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
I have a question..

Waaaaay back on the first page of this thread besides the SM chassis there was also the AIC RSC-4ED2 chassis as well. I still have the AIC case though it hasn't been used very much. All of the original parts and the power hungry motherboard were all recycled.

Question, I was wondering about the reliably of the backplane on the AIC chassis. It obviously isn't an SM backplane, but this one has the individual SATA connectors where i can connect some HBA's to it and have full 6gb speed on future hard drives since the BP is basically pass-through. Considering using it for either unRAID or FreeNAS or possibly an Ubuntu file server. Most likely for cold storage.

Is anyone still using the AIC chassis?
I still have two AIC cases from way back when, even before this thread started, and the backplanes have not given me a second of problems. Compared to my two Norco 4020s that both had multiple backplane failures.
post #2504 of 2547 Old 05-21-2018, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Okay, that makes sense. I have several of the 920-SQ PSU's that I had gotten to replace the banshee yelling Ablecom PSU's. They do remain pretty quiet while the system is off unlike the Ablecomms which stayed running full blast, but they do spin up once powered on. I had an extra 846 chassis which had the extra HDD bracket that wasn't in use so I transferred it to the case where now I had two of the brackets to use, making it easy to support the dual parity drives.

The current version of unRAID now has it where you can enable a setting (reconstruct-write) in the disk settings where it can write to the protected array at much faster speed where it may eliminate the need for the cache drive, unless one is using it for VM's and dockers. A 1TB and up SSD is still very expensive. In my use case I am only using it purely for file storage since I use XenServer on another host for my VM's.

The only 846 case I bought that had the air shroud was the one I gotten from Mr. Rackables.....the older ones I gotten from Tams several years ago didn't have them. The shroud made sense for those systems that had the passive heatsinks and the RAM that ran hot so the strong flow of air through them kept them cool.
I'm only using a 250GB SSD for my cache drive at the moment. To be honest, I can't tell what it's doing for me or why I even need it. I tend to do most of my transfers when the server is not in use.

I got everything reconfigured and plugged in the 920-SQ and it turned out to be a dud. I contacted the seller I bought it from on ebay and they're giving me a refund. I had to use one of the original server power supplies in the chassis. One of them was an absolute screamer, but the other one turned out to be somewhat tolerable so I'm using that one for the time being. Meanwhile, I have purchased another 920-SQ on ebay and I'm waiting for it to be shipped.
post #2505 of 2547 Old 06-15-2018, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I thought I'd post an update and show some of the modifications I made to my server. I received the new 920-SQ power supply and installed it in my server and it's working fine. One of the things I like about it is that it doesn't turn on as soon as you plug it in like the original PWS-702A-1R PSU. The fan doesn't come on until you hit the Power button on the front panel so it's not constantly running even with the server powered down.

As mentioned in a previous post, I tried using standard 80mm fans installed in the original fan wall and rear panel. My drive temps shot way up compared to what they were before. I had installed 80mm Noctua fans and then tried some 80mm Arctic F8 fans that I had on hand and the results were pretty much the same. Standard 80mm fans that only run at around 2000 rpm just don't provide enough air flow to cool things properly compared to the stock fans that run at 6700-7000 rpm.

I decided to modify the stock fan wall to use the 120mm fans that I had been using with the Norco fan wall. I picked up a used Supermicro fan wall on ebay with the fans so I could use it to chop up and not destroy the original fan wall that came with my server. The fan wall comes in two separate panels that are easily separated by removing two screws securing the fan bracket panel to the back panel of the fan wall via standoffs. I also removed the plastic cable management piece. I staggered the fans as shown in the photos with two fans on the back and one on the front of the fan wall and used them as a template for drilling the holes in the fan wall. I inserted four screws in the center fan to align it with the inner holes of the outer fans to get everything lined up and then drilled the holes using my drill press. I had to make sure I had enough clearance between the edge of the fan next to the PSU so I could insert the two mounting screws for the fan wall. I actually got a little too close to the PSU and had to cut away part of the fan chassis so I could insert one of the screws. I used the fans as a stencil to mark the openings that needed to be cut out of the fan wall to allow for maximum air flow. I used a Dremel tool and lots of cutoff wheels to create the new openings. If you look at the photos you'll see the large semicircle openings at the top of the original openings that had to be cut out.

I installed the same grates that I used for the Norco fan wall so that the cables next to the backplane wouldn't get caught in the fan blades. I had to use extra washers as spacers between the outer grates and the center fan because the mounting tabs on the grates are offset and the grates were interfering with the center fan blades. My drive temps are back to where they were before so all is well. I still need to go in and tidy up the cables for a cleaner look and better air flow.

I am now considering an upgrade to the backplane as well as possibly updating the 8-port SATA controllers. My current backplane is a SAS846TQ Rev 1.02. I found a Rev 3.1 backplane on ebay that says it's future-proof and can work with SATA III drives at 6GB/s. I'm replacing a lot of my 1080p Blu-Ray mkv rips with 4K mkv files as they become available and the transfer times can be very slow. I'm wondering if a backplane upgrade will help with that. I'm also using three older Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 controllers which I am thinking of replacing with Dell H310 controllers with the IT firmware that are also rated at 6GB/s. The server works fine for media playback. I'm pretty sure that the backplane and controller upgrades will only allow for faster data transfers and parity checks as well as data rebuilds in unRAID. I'm wondering if it's worth the investment. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0885r.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	449.6 KB
ID:	2416384   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0884r.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	427.3 KB
ID:	2416386   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0888r.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	385.7 KB
ID:	2416388   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0887r.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	306.1 KB
ID:	2416390  

Last edited by captain_video; 06-15-2018 at 07:41 AM.
post #2506 of 2547 Old 06-15-2018, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I thought the TQ was a direct connection so the different revisions wouldn't matter. You should definitely change out the old controllers for the H310, that would be my next step. If you don't have three pci-e slots look into the intel res2sv240. My motherboard has a 8x/8x/4x slots, right now I have a IBM M1015 and the Intel expander. In the future I plan to use a H310 in the other 8x slot and looking at these benchmarks, I should be alright in speeds https://lime-technology.com/forums/t...-parity-check/

Take a look at the speeds for the card you have now

Quote:
Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 PCIe gen1 x4 (1000MB/s) - 6w

4 x 140MB/s

5 x 117MB/s

6 x 105MB/s

7 x 90MB/s

8 x 80MB/s

Last edited by Mrkazador; 06-15-2018 at 10:01 AM.
post #2507 of 2547 Old 06-15-2018, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post
I thought the TQ was a direct connection so the different revisions wouldn't matter. You should definitely change out the old controllers for the H310, that would be my next step. If you don't have three pci-e slots look into the intel res2sv240. My motherboard has a 8x/8x/4x slots, right now I have a IBM M1015 and the Intel expander. In the future I plan to use a H310 in the other 8x slot and looking at these benchmarks, I should be alright in speeds https://lime-technology.com/forums/t...-parity-check/

Take a look at the speeds for the card you have now
That appears to be pretty much in line with what I'm seeing, but usually the speeds are much lower. I understand the values given are the theoretical maximum that one rarely sees in real world applications. The H310 does appear to be a much better choice, but then I don't think any of the better performing controllers were available back when I was first putting my server together, at least not at reasonable prices. The H310's are readily available for more affordable prices so I think I'll go that route. Thanks for the tip about the backplane. It looks like I can keep what I have and not suffer any hit in performance.

I'm using an Asus A88X-PRO motherboard that has three PCI-e x16 slots.

Update: I purchased three H310 controllers on ebay that have been configured with the following:
  1. LSI Avago IT mode firmware version P20 (20.00.07.00)
  2. MPTSAS2 BIOS ROM flashed version 07.39.02.00
  3. MPTSAS2 UEFI ROM flashed version 07.27.01.01
  4. Original SAS address preserved
  5. Ventilated PCI bracket
The description says they were used in a ZFS server and can also be used with unRAID and several other server applications. As luck would have it, one of my 4TB drives failed last night so I installed a new 8TB drive to replace it. The current estimated speed is just under 65 MB/sec. It's been running for almost 10 hours with an estimated finish of about 26 more hours. It should speed up once it gets past the 4TB mark as there is only one other 8TB data drive currently installed in the array and it's the only drive larger than 4 TB. This would go much faster with the H310's installed.

Further update: I'm not sure what happened but apparently my server glitched last night about a half hour after I went to bed. I was expecting it to be finished with the data rebuild by the time I got up this morning. Instead it reset and started the data rebuild all over again from scratch. As I indicated previously, once it got past the 4TB mark the speed increased to about 110 MB/sec. I'm hoping it goes to completion this time around and finishes the data rebuild. Otherwise, I'm not sure what I can do with it if it just keeps cycling in a loop other than shutting it down and replacing the new drive with another drive. I have a spare 8TB drive that I had set aside to use as the 2nd parity drive so I do have a backup if I need one.

Last edited by captain_video; 06-17-2018 at 11:10 AM.
post #2508 of 2547 Old 09-01-2018, 02:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone know if its possible to spin down drives with the Dell H310 in Windows 10? I had a IBM M1015 and was able to spin them down by modifying the drivers .inf but its not working with the Dell cards I have. I also tried adding EnableIdlePowerManagement in the registry and that didn't work either.

post #2509 of 2547 Old 01-12-2019, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I currently have a SC846A-R900B chassis that i was about to implement as my new fileserver case, the current case is a Norco 4220 which has worked well over the last few years but the build quality on the Norco cases are crap, i've had 1 backplane go a few years back removed it and now i had another one go where it would keep dropping power to the drives, so the raid would say it has a failed drive and rebuild once i marked the drive as good. I pulled all the backplanes and cabled everything directly and its been working well. Since i picked up a 846E2-900B i figured i would start the migration over to this case, first thing i noticed is the PSU that was stock was a 900w PWS-902-1R PSU, this thing just screams.... I have a few other super micro chassis i have 836E1-R800B, with dual 800W psu's. i tried to put one of those 800W psus into the 846 it wouldn't not boot the system, couldn't get it to turn on. SO i looked to my other supermicro box which is a SC836BA-R920B with dual 920w psu. I attempted to try the 920w psu in the SC846A and it seemed to have worked but after a few seconds i heard a pop i instantly pulled the power and notice a small burn smell from the PSU i have not attempted to put it back in the SC836 yet to see if it still works.... I ordered a PWS-920P-SQ power module does anyone know if this will be compatible with my 846... seems that all the PSUs are not compatible with all the different power distribution units/chassis

Thanks

JVC DLA-X790 (135" tab-tension motorized screen), 65" UN65NU8000, 60" UN6300KU6290, 55" UN50HU8550
post #2510 of 2547 Old 01-13-2019, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

What is the model # of the power supply in the SC836BA-R920B? I thought they used the PWS-920P-SQ.

Depending what PDB you have is what power supplies it supports. There is a sticker on the pdb with the model #, google search that and 920P-SQ.

post #2511 of 2547 Old 01-13-2019, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm about to embark on another modification to my server. I currently have the Supermicro SC846A-R900B with a single PWS-920P-SQ power supply. I was using an 5-bay Supermicro CSE-M35 enclosure located externally to the rack. I had three dual eSATA brackets with a 4-pin Molex power connector mounted on the back of the card slots and connected to the motherboard SATA ports. Five of the ports were connected to the rack using 6-foot shielded eSATA to SATA cables and a pair of 6-foot Molex power cables. The 6th eSATA port was used to connect a drive externally to preclear it for use in unRAID which could be done in the background without disturbing the server operation.

I was getting too many UDMA errors on several of the drives in the enclosure, which is usually indicative of a bad cable or poor connection. I eliminated the extra cables and now have the enclosure connected directly to the motherboard via SATA cables. I recently acquired a Supermicro SC825 2U server rack with eight drive bays. It has almost the identical footprint of the SC846A rack except that it's maybe about a half inch shorter. My plan is to cut several access holes in the bottom of the enclosure with protective grommets in the openings large enough to feed both power and SATA cables through the openings. I can then install the drives from the 5-bay enclosure in the new rack along with the 2nd parity drive and the cache drive. The power supply in the main rack is already powering all of the drives so it's just a matter of modifying the rack and installing everything. The 2U rack can sit directly on top of the 4U rack. I also have a splitter cable that will allow me to connect all of the fans in the 2U rack to a 4-pin Molex power connector. That still leaves me one spare bay that I can use to perform a pre-clear on any drives to use as replacements in the even of a drive failure.

I plan on leaving the top panel off of the 4U case as the 2U case sitting on top of it will essentially act as the cover anyway. Access to the lower chassis will be a bit cumbersome, but I believe it's doable.
post #2512 of 2547 Old 01-20-2019, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I set up the 2U Supermicro SC825 server rack on top of my SC846 today. I removed the power distribution module as well as the two power supplies. I drilled two large holes in the bottom of the case so they lined up with the SATA ports on my motherboard in the SC846 chassis and the single power connector from the power distribution module and installed two large rubber grommets to protect the cables. I connected six SATA cables to the mainboard ports and fed them through the grommet above it and installed a long splitter on the single power connector from the power control module. One side of the splitter connects to the SSD cache drive and the other side is fed through the opening in the bottom of the SC825 chassis. The power cable is then split so one side feeds a 4-way splitter for the fans. The other side is split again and the two connectors are mated with the backplane of the SC825 chassis. The footprint of the SC825 chassis completely covers the opening in the top of the SC846 chassis so the cover has been left off of the SC846 to allow the cables to connect between the two units.

I installed an 80mm fan in the opening where the power control module used to be and it fits in there nicely. I just have it secured with a piece of clear packing tape at the top so it won't vibrate. I'm using SATA extension cables connected to the SC825 backplane. The other end of the extension cables mate with the SATA cables inserted through the grommet from the mainboard SATA ports. I'm waiting for two more extension cables to arrive so I can mount the cache drive in one of the drive bays in the SC825 chassis. Right now I'm only using 6 of the 8 bays to house the five data drives that used to reside in the 5-bay enclosure (seen on the shelf behind the monitor to the right). The other bay holds the 2nd parity drive. The 8th bay will be used for pre-clearing drives in unRAID.

The SC825 chassis came with a DVD drive and front panel USB ports. There is also a front panel serial port. I removed the cables to get rid of the extra clutter. The fans scream like banshees so something will have to be done about that. Unfortunately, the fan housings have a molded protrusion that prevents me from simply swapping out the fans with quieter 80mm units. They are all PWM fans with 4-pin connectors. I have a multi-fan speed controller but it only has 3-pin fan connectors. I'll have to see if I can find some 3-pin to 4-pin adapters so I can use the controller.

The mainboard is an Asus A88X-Pro full ATX form factor that has three PCI-e x16 slots and two x1 slots. The x16 slots are used with three 8-port SATA controllers for the 24 hard drives in the SC846 chassis. There are also six SATA ports on the mainboard connected to the SC825 bays as described earlier. I have one 2-port SATA III controller that connects to the cache drive and the bay that will be used for pre-clearing drives with unRAID. I have a 2nd PCI-e x1 slot that could be used for another dual SATA controller if I ever wanted to connect the DVD drive or add more cache drives. Right now my system is utilizing the maximum number of data and parity drives supported in unRAID and currently consists of 138 TB of data storage (83.6 TB is currently being used with 54.4 TB still available).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1359.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	2513564   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1358.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	2513566   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1357.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	2513568  
post #2513 of 2547 Old 01-20-2019, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Very cool... I thought about doing something similar... But I just ending opting for the simpler solution.

A 4U 45 bay Supermicro JBOD from tamsolutions.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4U-Supermic...oAAOSwS~Jbv3~o

~ Swearengen
post #2514 of 2547 Old 01-20-2019, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Very cool... I thought about doing something similar... But I just ending opting for the simpler solution.

Nice. So this case expands off your original system?

What kind of SAS/Expander cards/cables do you have for this setup? Are the power supplies loud?

Thanks.
post #2515 of 2547 Old 01-20-2019, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toohip View Post
Quote:

Nice. So this case expands off your original system?

What kind of SAS/Expander cards/cables do you have for this setup? Are the power supplies loud?

Thanks.
Yes. I am using a Dell UCS 70 card in JBOD mode. You can pick one up on eBay for $10 - $20. I am using the SAS cable that came with the expander. Surprisingly, the PSUs are very quiet. I purchased a pair of SQ PSUs with the expectation of swapping them out. But there is really no major difference in the sound. The SQs are now my back up.

I did swap out the controller card in the expander from a PTJBOD-CB2 to a PTJBOD-CB3. The CB3 allows for remote control via IP. The CB2 does not. Now I can power on/off the expander via a custom script in Windows task scheduler everytime I power on/off the main computer.

I did swap out the case fans. They were very loud.

I will let you know the model number of the PSUs tomorrow.

~ Swearengen
post #2516 of 2547 Old 01-21-2019, 04:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Damn! That's freaking insane. How do you have enough SATA ports for 45 drives plus whatever is in your main server? What server software are you using to control that many drives?

The fans in that sucker must sound like you're sitting on the end of the runway at the airport. I have a multi-port fan controller that I was able to connect directly to the case fans in my expansion case. I turned the fans all the way down so the noise level is manageable and the drives are showing temps in the mid to upper 20's and a couple are in the low 30's (degrees C) which are all well within normal operating temps. Right now the controller is just sitting inside the case because the fan cables aren't long enough to allow me to move it elsewhere. I have some extension cables on order so I can place it in the back of the case.

Last edited by captain_video; 01-21-2019 at 05:07 AM.
post #2517 of 2547 Old 01-21-2019, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Damn! That's freaking insane. How do you have enough SATA ports for 45 drives plus whatever is in your main server? What server software are you using to control that many drives?

The fans in that sucker must sound like you're sitting on the end of the runway at the airport. I have a multi-port fan controller that I was able to connect directly to the case fans in my expansion case. I turned the fans all the way down so the noise level is manageable and the drives are showing temps in the mid to upper 20's and a couple are in the low 30's (degrees C) which are all well within normal operating temps. Right now the controller is just sitting inside the case because the fan cables aren't long enough to allow me to move it elsewhere. I have some extension cables on order so I can place it in the back of the case.
The backplanes are SATA and SAS compatible... So only one mini SAS cable is necessary from each backplane to the PTJBOD-CB3 controller card.

I am and have been using FlexRAID for many years without issue.

Like I said early... I swapped out the jet engine sounding fans for something much, much more quiet. Although my drives hover around the 32 - 34 degree mark... I am thinking of adding three 120mm fans for more air flow.

The PSUs that came with the expander are PWS-1K41P-1R. They are very quiet... just about the same volume level as my PWS-1K28P-SQ PSUs.

Hope this helps
John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190121_124102.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	2513992   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190121_073937.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	691.6 KB
ID:	2513994  

~ Swearengen
post #2518 of 2547 Old 01-21-2019, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
The backplanes are SATA and SAS compatible... So only one mini SAS cable is necessary from each backplane to the PTJBOD-CB3 controller card.

I meant to ask you that earlier but I forgot... So from the back of the 45-bay JBOD box to your Dell UCS70 there is a single SFF-8088 to SFF-8088 cable driving all 45 hard drives?
post #2519 of 2547 Old 01-21-2019, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
Quote:

I meant to ask you that earlier but I forgot... So from the back of the 45-bay JBOD box to your Dell UCS70 there is a single SFF-8088 to SFF-8088 cable driving all 45 hard drives?
Exactly...

Here is the part number... Can't find it on Amazon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190121_144244_1548099775390.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	2514056  

~ Swearengen
post #2520 of 2547 Old 01-21-2019, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I am currently losing on drive bay due to the fact I have to run an Ethernet cable out the back of the expander case. This gives the expander controller card access to the network... I might opt for an Ethernet to WiFi adapter instead.

~ Swearengen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Norco Rpc 4020 4u Rackmount Server Chassis W 20 Hot Swappable Sata Sas Drive Bays , Norco

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page