Are You Looking For A Less Expensive Norco 4220 / 4224 Alternative? - Page 85 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2521 of 2547 Old 01-21-2019, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Killroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ninth Circle of Hell
Posts: 2,333
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlgi74 View Post
Exactly...

Here is the part number... Can't find it on Amazon.
That part number comes back to a standard SFF-8088 to SFF-8088 cable so it should be the same to the others I have.

I am thinking about upgrading my Dell UCS70 to one of these: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16816118147

That would give me four external JBOD cases on the single card. I have had problems running dual UCS70 cards on the Supermicro mobos. They don't want to post with the second one installed and attached to boxes. I am sure its a driver or bios issue but I cannot find anything to solve it.

I may have to get one of those 45-bay boxes and I think I will be pretty much done with storage. That would put me at 141 drives to a single host...4 24-bay cases and the 45-bay one.
Killroy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2522 of 2547 Old 01-21-2019, 03:16 PM
Member
 
toohip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
I meant to ask you that earlier but I forgot... So from the back of the 45-bay JBOD box to your Dell UCS70 there is a single SFF-8088 to SFF-8088 cable driving all 45 hard drives?
So If the Dell USC70 is a 6 Gb/s bandwidth card does that mean all 45 drives are sharing a 6 Gb/ lane? If so that would be fine for most normal operations but if you were running Unraid and doing a parity check I could see a bottleneck with that.
toohip is offline  
post #2523 of 2547 Old 01-21-2019, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Killroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ninth Circle of Hell
Posts: 2,333
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by toohip View Post
So If the Dell USC70 is a 6 Gb/s bandwidth card does that mean all 45 drives are sharing a 6 Gb/ lane? If so that would be fine for most normal operations but if you were running Unraid and doing a parity check I could see a bottleneck with that.
I am running 48 drives on the UCS 70 from two different cases and I run SnapRAID on each box with a 21x3 parity and I still get 330MB/s during parity builds across all drives. I don't think it's that bad when you consider they are all 8TB drives. I run my parity builds mostly at night so I never notice them.
Killroy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2524 of 2547 Old 01-22-2019, 04:34 PM
Member
 
toohip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
I am running 48 drives on the UCS 70 from two different cases and I run SnapRAID on each box with a 21x3 parity and I still get 330MB/s during parity builds across all drives. I don't think it's that bad when you consider they are all 8TB drives. I run my parity builds mostly at night so I never notice them.
I'd be very happy with those types of speeds. Thanks for the info.
toohip is offline  
post #2525 of 2547 Old 01-22-2019, 08:58 PM
Senior Member
 
maxse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys, need some help. I just read through like 50 pages of this! So I realized that I actually bought a Supermicro 24-bay Chassis with an AMD Opteron Quad Core 2346HE @ 1.8GHz from Tamsolutions wayyy back in 2013! I had moved since then and just forgot that I even had it! It is still packed in the original box.

So I need a backup unraid server and this would be perfect for it. The only issue is that I need this living room quiet, and I can't really find good instructions that I can make mods without having to use a dremel. I remember back in the day there were some simple guys but I can't find them (the one in this thread require a dremel?

I would like to remove the PSU and install a "regular" 650W PSU. Also need to replace the fans in the fanwall. I remember reading many years ago someone found a way to just zip tie a specific time of fan (3 of them) that fit perfect without the need for a new fan wall. That would be ideal.

Lastly, I would gut everything and was thinking of using one of JDM_WAAT's builds from reddit and run a Xeon on it. I'm not too familiar with expanders or how they work. I am still using an IBM m1015 flashed to IT mode from back in 2014 when I build a different unraid box for a tower. I don't think they had expanders then or for a reasonable price even, and I'm not sure how they work...

Anyway, is it still possible to mod this case to be quiet enough to be in a living room? Are the modifications necessary still readily available? And also, would I be able to use any of the supermicro boards from JDM_WAAT's builds? Is it even worth it for me to mod this old case, or should I just cut my losses and the Rosewill 12-bay hot-swappable case and call it a day? It would be really nice to be able to use 24-bays though if it's still simple to mod to make it quiet.

Would really appreciate some help guys
maxse is offline  
post #2526 of 2547 Old 01-22-2019, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
captain_video's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 4,663
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxse View Post
Guys, need some help. I just read through like 50 pages of this! So I realized that I actually bought a Supermicro 24-bay Chassis with an AMD Opteron Quad Core 2346HE @ 1.8GHz from Tamsolutions wayyy back in 2013! I had moved since then and just forgot that I even had it! It is still packed in the original box.

So I need a backup unraid server and this would be perfect for it. The only issue is that I need this living room quiet, and I can't really find good instructions that I can make mods without having to use a dremel. I remember back in the day there were some simple guys but I can't find them (the one in this thread require a dremel?

I would like to remove the PSU and install a "regular" 650W PSU. Also need to replace the fans in the fanwall. I remember reading many years ago someone found a way to just zip tie a specific time of fan (3 of them) that fit perfect without the need for a new fan wall. That would be ideal.

Lastly, I would gut everything and was thinking of using one of JDM_WAAT's builds from reddit and run a Xeon on it. I'm not too familiar with expanders or how they work. I am still using an IBM m1015 flashed to IT mode from back in 2014 when I build a different unraid box for a tower. I don't think they had expanders then or for a reasonable price even, and I'm not sure how they work...

Anyway, is it still possible to mod this case to be quiet enough to be in a living room? Are the modifications necessary still readily available? And also, would I be able to use any of the supermicro boards from JDM_WAAT's builds? Is it even worth it for me to mod this old case, or should I just cut my losses and the Rosewill 12-bay hot-swappable case and call it a day? It would be really nice to be able to use 24-bays though if it's still simple to mod to make it quiet.

Would really appreciate some help guys

I'm not sure if you could get the server quiet enough to put in your living room and still provide sufficient airflow to cool the drives. 24 hard drives are going to crank out a considerable amount of heat and will require a lot of airflow to keep them within normal operating temperatures. I originally upgraded the fan wall in my 24-bay Supermicro server rack with the Norco fan wall and installed a standard PSU. I had three 120mm case fans mounted side-by-side on the fan wall and they fit just fine. I have since reinstalled the original PSU chassis with a quieter PSU and I'm back to using the original fan wall. I did have to use a Dremel tool to expand the openings to accommodate the three 120mm fans that are mounted in an overlapping configuration with two fans on one side of the fan wall and the third fan mounted on the opposite side such that the outer holes of the middle fan line up with the inner holes on the outer fans. I think I may have posted some pics of it earlier in this thread. I have two 92mm fans mounted on the inside rear of the chassis to replace the stock 80mm fans. It's much quieter than the stock setup, but nothing that I'd want sitting in the living room. You'd be better off placing the server out of the way and not in any living space. Just make sure it's located somewhere that will have adequate ventilation and sufficient cooling. If you put it in a closed room like a closet it will get hot.
captain_video is online now  
post #2527 of 2547 Old 01-23-2019, 08:40 PM
Senior Member
 
maxse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I see, thank you. I'm assuming you got the SQ PSU that I've read about? Is it just as quiet as a standard PSU? Would you guys say that it can be as quiet as a desktop computer? Assuming 1-2 drives in it to compare apples-apples.

Thanks
maxse is offline  
post #2528 of 2547 Old 01-24-2019, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wkearney99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bethesda, MD USA
Posts: 2,048
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxse View Post
I see, thank you. I'm assuming you got the SQ PSU that I've read about? Is it just as quiet as a standard PSU? Would you guys say that it can be as quiet as a desktop computer?
With 24 spindles turning (the drives) it will never, ever be possible to make it as quiet as a desktop computer. Full stop.

It might be possible to make the fan noise less annoying but the droning drive noise and head clicking is not going to change.

Sparsely populating the drive bays presents other airflow problems. If you don't need at least half of the drive bays you'd be better served not bothering with just one or two drives in it. They're potentially going to not get enough airflow to cool them as effectively as a properly sized system would provide.

The living room is not the place for it.
wkearney99 is offline  
post #2529 of 2547 Old 01-26-2019, 07:11 AM
Senior Member
 
ja00's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 473
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxse View Post
Guys, need some help. I just read through like 50 pages of this! So I realized that I actually bought a Supermicro 24-bay Chassis with an AMD Opteron Quad Core 2346HE @ 1.8GHz from Tamsolutions wayyy back in 2013! I had moved since then and just forgot that I even had it! It is still packed in the original box.

So I need a backup unraid server and this would be perfect for it. The only issue is that I need this living room quiet, and I can't really find good instructions that I can make mods without having to use a dremel. I remember back in the day there were some simple guys but I can't find them (the one in this thread require a dremel?

I would like to remove the PSU and install a "regular" 650W PSU. Also need to replace the fans in the fanwall. I remember reading many years ago someone found a way to just zip tie a specific time of fan (3 of them) that fit perfect without the need for a new fan wall. That would be ideal.

Lastly, I would gut everything and was thinking of using one of JDM_WAAT's builds from reddit and run a Xeon on it. I'm not too familiar with expanders or how they work. I am still using an IBM m1015 flashed to IT mode from back in 2014 when I build a different unraid box for a tower. I don't think they had expanders then or for a reasonable price even, and I'm not sure how they work...

Anyway, is it still possible to mod this case to be quiet enough to be in a living room? Are the modifications necessary still readily available? And also, would I be able to use any of the supermicro boards from JDM_WAAT's builds? Is it even worth it for me to mod this old case, or should I just cut my losses and the Rosewill 12-bay hot-swappable case and call it a day? It would be really nice to be able to use 24-bays though if it's still simple to mod to make it quiet.

Would really appreciate some help guys

Not entirely sure this is the one, but I used this to mount three 120mm Noctua fans:
http://www.ipcdirect.net/120mm-fan-w...4020-rpc-4164/


I replaced the power supply with an ATX, and replaced the processors with two low power 2419EEs and used fanless heatsinks with a shroud (cardboard cur to shape). It's quiet and been running unRaid since 2013 with all 24 drive bays filled. The good thing with unRaid is the drives are all spun down unless being accessed. So at any given time, the parities, cache pool, and only the few data drives.



It's quiet enough to be behind 4ft me in my office room and not be bothered by it. It's not silent. Whether it is quiet enough to be used in your living room will depend on your tolerance for noise. Good luck.
ja00 is offline  
post #2530 of 2547 Old 01-26-2019, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mrkazador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,352
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxse View Post
I see, thank you. I'm assuming you got the SQ PSU that I've read about? Is it just as quiet as a standard PSU? Would you guys say that it can be as quiet as a desktop computer? Assuming 1-2 drives in it to compare apples-apples.

Thanks

I have the SQ power supply and it is literally silent with your ear next to the fan.

_______________________________

DIY Sound Group: Information and Tips
Mrkazador is offline  
post #2531 of 2547 Old 01-26-2019, 07:01 PM
Senior Member
 
maxse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post
I have the SQ power supply and it is literally silent with your ear next to the fan.
Thanks so much This is gonna be in the office room but I'll still be there and didn't want constant loud noise. I realize when all 24 drives are spinning pretty much any case could get noisy... I'm just asking if it would be similar noice output as a Rosewill 12 bay case...


So the SQ power supply was same noise level as the standard one that you had?
Could you let me know which model number I need to get not sure if there is more than 1 that ends in SQ. I would also just be able to take out the second power supply and just have one right? I don't need any special mods to bypass the redundant supplies?

I've read that people replaced all the 80mm fans with 80mm Arctic fans without the need to remove the fan wall and they're supposedly just as quiet as the 3 120mm ones?

Thanks guys. I'm just trying to make sure if it's worth dumping any money in to this case or just go with a new Rosewill one with 12-hot swappable bays
maxse is offline  
post #2532 of 2547 Old 01-27-2019, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
captain_video's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 4,663
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja00 View Post
Not entirely sure this is the one, but I used this to mount three 120mm Noctua fans:
http://www.ipcdirect.net/120mm-fan-w...4020-rpc-4164/

I replaced the power supply with an ATX, and replaced the processors with two low power 2419EEs and used fanless heatsinks with a shroud (cardboard cur to shape). It's quiet and been running unRaid since 2013 with all 24 drive bays filled. The good thing with unRaid is the drives are all spun down unless being accessed. So at any given time, the parities, cache pool, and only the few data drives.

It's quiet enough to be behind 4ft me in my office room and not be bothered by it. It's not silent. Whether it is quiet enough to be used in your living room will depend on your tolerance for noise. Good luck.
That's the right fan wall if you remove the stock power supply enclosure. You will need a couple of standoffs to fill the gap on the PSU side. I believe I posted pics for installing this fan wall in my server if you do a search for my older posts here.

Here's the post with the pics:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-ho...l#post23197353

Last edited by captain_video; 01-27-2019 at 08:21 AM.
captain_video is online now  
post #2533 of 2547 Old 01-27-2019, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mrkazador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,352
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxse View Post
Thanks so much This is gonna be in the office room but I'll still be there and didn't want constant loud noise. I realize when all 24 drives are spinning pretty much any case could get noisy... I'm just asking if it would be similar noice output as a Rosewill 12 bay case...


So the SQ power supply was same noise level as the standard one that you had?
Could you let me know which model number I need to get not sure if there is more than 1 that ends in SQ. I would also just be able to take out the second power supply and just have one right? I don't need any special mods to bypass the redundant supplies?

I've read that people replaced all the 80mm fans with 80mm Arctic fans without the need to remove the fan wall and they're supposedly just as quiet as the 3 120mm ones?

Thanks guys. I'm just trying to make sure if it's worth dumping any money in to this case or just go with a new Rosewill one with 12-hot swappable bays
Quote:
So the SQ power supply was same noise level as the standard one that you had?
The psu that came with the case is extremely loud, almost like a high pitch hair dryer.

Quote:
Could you let me know which model number I need to get not sure if there is more than 1 that ends in SQ.
The model # for the silent psu is Supermicro PWS-920P-SQ.

Quote:
I would also just be able to take out the second power supply and just have one right? I don't need any special mods to bypass the redundant supplies?
I only have one in my case, no mods needed.

Quote:
I've read that people replaced all the 80mm fans with 80mm Arctic fans without the need to remove the fan wall and they're supposedly just as quiet as the 3 120mm ones?
It all depends which fans you use and what rpm they run at. Quiet 80mm fans may not have enough static pressure to cool 24 drives.

Quote:
Thanks guys. I'm just trying to make sure if it's worth dumping any money in to this case or just go with a new Rosewill one with 12-hot swappable bays
The supermicro case is worth it IMO, the case is well built.

_______________________________

DIY Sound Group: Information and Tips
Mrkazador is offline  
post #2534 of 2547 Old 01-27-2019, 10:27 AM
Senior Member
 
maxse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That's great, thank you so much. I meant to ask how the Supermicro PWS-920P-SQ compared to the "regular" consumer level CPU that you mentioned you originally replaced it with but seems like it will still be silent...

So if I don't remove the PSU hardware and use the Supermicro PWS-920P-SQ will I still need the norco fan wall? Also, I think one of the pics didn't load that I can only assume shows the chassis intrusion switch, I would like to remove that also.

Thanks again for your help guys!

So I'll keep the case, I'll get the Supermicro PWS-920P-SQ PSU, now just need the above answered about what to do about fanwall and chassis intrusion switch and looks like I'll be good to go! Good thing I didn't get rid of the case even though it will still require to put more $$ into it compared to the Rosewill cases, I'll get more drives
maxse is offline  
post #2535 of 2547 Old 01-27-2019, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mrkazador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,352
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
I meant to ask how the Supermicro PWS-920P-SQ compared to the "regular" consumer level CPU that you mentioned you originally replaced it with but seems like it will still be silent...
The 920P-SQ is silent and its a Titanium rated power supply so it has a really high efficiency, you'll save a few pennies on your electric bill.

Quote:
So if I don't remove the PSU hardware and use the Supermicro PWS-920P-SQ will I still need the norco fan wall?
The norco fan wall spans the entire width of the case and it will interfere with the PDB (power distribution board). You can't have the norco fan wall and the 920P-SQ. I built my 120mm fan wall out of wood, you could do the same with plexi glass or just zip tie the fans together.


Quote:
Also, I think one of the pics didn't load that I can only assume shows the chassis intrusion switch, I would like to remove that also.
I removed mine completely, just a few screws.

_______________________________

DIY Sound Group: Information and Tips
Mrkazador is offline  
post #2536 of 2547 Old 01-27-2019, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
captain_video's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 4,663
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 417
You don't need to replace the fan wall if you go with the 920 power supply. In fact, you won't be able to use the Norco fan wall if you use any version of the server power supplies. The fan wall basically allows you to use 120mm fans that are much quieter than the stock fans that sound like jet engines and won't require much in the way of modifications except drilling some mounting holes. You can modify the stock fan wall to do the same thing, but it will require the use of a Dremel tool since the openings are designed for 80mm fans and not 120mm units. I posted some pics of how I modified mine a while back. You can remove the chassis intrusion switch and you'll be fine. I took mine out when I first modified the chassis.

Last edited by captain_video; 01-27-2019 at 11:46 AM.
captain_video is online now  
post #2537 of 2547 Old 02-26-2019, 07:28 PM
Member
 
Will Cunningham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been running this system for years and have not had many problems. I ran into a problem yesterday and am hoping someone here might have a suggestion or two for me. My power went out for a few hours yesterday and my UPS eventually ran out of power cutting power to the system. Power is restored but my system will not power on. The motherboard manual mentions an on board LED that indicates the motherboard has power and I don't see that LED or any other LED's lit up. It could be the power supply, but I don't have any spares to test with so I am unsure. I also remember a number of years ago having difficulty getting it powered on, but I don't remember what the problem was or how I resolved it. It is a bit frustrating that I can't remember what the deal was. lol. I plan to deepen my research and see if I can dig up anything else to try, but if anyone has run into similar issues or has any guidance I would definitely appreciate it.
Will Cunningham is offline  
post #2538 of 2547 Old 02-27-2019, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Litlgi74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 796
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 43
You could try clearing the CMOS via the jumper pins or the battery

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back.

~ Swearengen
Litlgi74 is offline  
post #2539 of 2547 Old 03-01-2019, 03:51 PM
Member
 
Will Cunningham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the tip, I replaced the CMOS battery but that did not resolve the issue. That was a great idea though. It turns out my power supply was bad, I installed a new one and it booted up no problem. It was rated to a mean of 100,000 hours and had already been running for 70,000 hours when it died so that is less surprising than I would have guessed.
Will Cunningham is offline  
post #2540 of 2547 Old 03-11-2019, 09:37 AM
Member
 
toohip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just picked up a NetApp DS4243 DAS Shelve for $90 shipped.


They won't last long but keep checking back from the seller for more listings.


https://www.ebay.com/itm/NetApp-DS42...72.m2749.l2649
toohip is offline  
post #2541 of 2547 Old 03-11-2019, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
captain_video's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 4,663
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by toohip View Post
Just picked up a NetApp DS4243 DAS Shelve for $90 shipped.

They won't last long but keep checking back from the seller for more listings.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NetApp-DS42...72.m2749.l2649
I didn't know anything about the NetApp hardware until I saw your post. The DS4243 only supports drives up to 3TB and uses the SATA II interface so it doesn't look like such a great deal when using newer hard drives. I assume the controllers interface with a main server configuration via an SAS interface, but I'm still learning more about it. I didn't really research the controllers at this point so I'm not sure how that works. It looks like the DS4246 is better suited for server applications with larger hard drives. I'm not surprised that you can get the DS4243 so cheap because it's basically obsolete. It's not even listed on the NetApp website anymore. I suppose it's fine if you have a lot of old drives sitting around that you'd like to repurpose.

I'm running an unRAID server with a 24-bay 4U chassis and an 8-bay 2U chassis I believe I posted pics in a recent post). The server currently has 142 TB of storage via 28 data drives, 2 parity drives, and a SSD cache drive. I can eventually expand it up to 224 TB if I so choose, but I have no plans to do that anytime soon. I generally replace the smaller drives as they either fail or start to show signs of failing with 8TB drives. I still have a few 3 TB drives and numerous 4 TB drives in the array. All of them are SATA III drives.

Last edited by captain_video; 03-11-2019 at 08:02 PM.
captain_video is online now  
post #2542 of 2547 Old 03-12-2019, 08:10 AM
Member
 
toohip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
I didn't know anything about the NetApp hardware until I saw your post. The DS4243 only supports drives up to 3TB and uses the SATA II interface so it doesn't look like such a great deal when using newer hard drives. I assume the controllers interface with a main server configuration via an SAS interface, but I'm still learning more about it. I didn't really research the controllers at this point so I'm not sure how that works. It looks like the DS4246 is better suited for server applications with larger hard drives. I'm not surprised that you can get the DS4243 so cheap because it's basically obsolete. It's not even listed on the NetApp website anymore. I suppose it's fine if you have a lot of old drives sitting around that you'd like to repurpose.

I'm running an unRAID server with a 24-bay 4U chassis and an 8-bay 2U chassis I believe I posted pics in a recent post). The server currently has 142 TB of storage via 28 data drives, 2 parity drives, and a SSD cache drive. I can eventually expand it up to 224 TB if I so choose, but I have no plans to do that anytime soon. I generally replace the smaller drives as they either fail or start to show signs of failing with 8TB drives. I still have a few 3 TB drives and numerous 4 TB drives in the array. All of them are SATA III drives.

I'm using Unraid in a Supermicro case as well. My motherboard has 8 Sata ports and 2 IBM controllers running the 24 bays in the Supermicro. The 3rd PCIe slot on my board will be for the Netapp controller which will link all 24 drives via a 4g link. Hopefully this will be fast enough for parity checks.

Cheapest way for Unraid is to grab a used controller card and cable off ebay.

NETAPP PMC-SIERRA PM8003 SCC Quad Port Network Controller 111-00341.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PMC-SIERRA-...UAAOSws6ZaRluV

QSFP-QSFP Cable

https://www.ebay.com/itm/QSFP-to-QSF...YAAOSwuVpcfvvL

Another option is to upgrade the a compellent controller to upgrade to 6gbps if you want a standard 8088 connection.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Compellent-...6/183673235160

From the info ive read people are using 8tb and 10tb SATA drives in this box. If not then I've got myself a big paper weight coming. Hopefully I will have 48 bays when all is complete.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder..._those_netapp/

The seller has also raised the shipping charges to $134 which kinda kills the deal for now.
toohip is offline  
post #2543 of 2547 Old 03-12-2019, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
captain_video's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 4,663
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by toohip View Post
I'm using Unraid in a Supermicro case as well. My motherboard has 8 Sata ports and 2 IBM controllers running the 24 bays in the Supermicro. The 3rd PCIe slot on my board will be for the Netapp controller which will link all 24 drives via a 4g link. Hopefully this will be fast enough for parity checks.

Cheapest way for Unraid is to grab a used controller card and cable off ebay.

NETAPP PMC-SIERRA PM8003 SCC Quad Port Network Controller 111-00341.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PMC-SIERRA-...UAAOSws6ZaRluV

QSFP-QSFP Cable

https://www.ebay.com/itm/QSFP-to-QSF...YAAOSwuVpcfvvL

Another option is to upgrade the a compellent controller to upgrade to 6gbps if you want a standard 8088 connection.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Compellent-...6/183673235160

From the info ive read people are using 8tb and 10tb SATA drives in this box. If not then I've got myself a big paper weight coming. Hopefully I will have 48 bays when all is complete.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder..._those_netapp/

The seller has also raised the shipping charges to $134 which kinda kills the deal for now.
It seems that I've just learned quite a few things. I had never heard about the NetApp hardware before so thanks for that. I also just found out that my unRAID Pro license now supports an unlimited number of drives. Previously it had been limited to 30 drives, including parity, so that's a nice surprise. I've been using unRAID for about 10 years now and I love it. I've had issues with it along the way, but mostly due to operator error and neglecting to RTFM so I've personally caused more problems than the software itself. I've still got a long way to go before I use up all of the available drive slots and maximize the capacity of my current setup, but it's nice to know that I could expand it even more if the need ever occurs.

My current setup has three PCI-e x16 slots so I'm using three 8-port controllers in those slots. The motherboard also has six onboard SATA ports. That provides the connection for the 28 data drives and two parity drives. In addition, I'm using a dual-port SATA controller in one of the PCI-e X1 slots to service the cache drive and also to have a slot free to run pre-clear in the background on any new drives.
captain_video is online now  
post #2544 of 2547 Old 03-13-2019, 05:56 PM
Member
 
Quaraxkad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Port Orange, FL
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Anybody know where I can find replacement backplanes for the AIC RSC-4ED2?
Quaraxkad is offline  
post #2545 of 2547 Old 03-17-2019, 10:48 PM
Member
 
jeff.lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxse View Post
Guys, need some help. I just read through like 50 pages of this! So I realized that I actually bought a Supermicro 24-bay Chassis with an AMD Opteron Quad Core 2346HE @ 1.8GHz from Tamsolutions wayyy back in 2013! I had moved since then and just forgot that I even had it! It is still packed in the original box.

So I need a backup unraid server and this would be perfect for it. The only issue is that I need this living room quiet, and I can't really find good instructions that I can make mods without having to use a dremel. I remember back in the day there were some simple guys but I can't find them (the one in this thread require a dremel?

I would like to remove the PSU and install a "regular" 650W PSU. Also need to replace the fans in the fanwall. I remember reading many years ago someone found a way to just zip tie a specific time of fan (3 of them) that fit perfect without the need for a new fan wall. That would be ideal.

Lastly, I would gut everything and was thinking of using one of JDM_WAAT's builds from reddit and run a Xeon on it. I'm not too familiar with expanders or how they work. I am still using an IBM m1015 flashed to IT mode from back in 2014 when I build a different unraid box for a tower. I don't think they had expanders then or for a reasonable price even, and I'm not sure how they work...

Anyway, is it still possible to mod this case to be quiet enough to be in a living room? Are the modifications necessary still readily available? And also, would I be able to use any of the supermicro boards from JDM_WAAT's builds? Is it even worth it for me to mod this old case, or should I just cut my losses and the Rosewill 12-bay hot-swappable case and call it a day? It would be really nice to be able to use 24-bays though if it's still simple to mod to make it quiet.

Would really appreciate some help guys
My mods didn't require anything more than a basic drill for creating a few holes.

I bought a mid-wall and rear-wall from Norco to install lower speed exhaust fans and a standard ATX PSU. My servers are not silent, but definitely nowhere near the volume before the mods.
jeff.lebowski is offline  
post #2546 of 2547 Old 03-21-2019, 03:07 AM
Senior Member
 
stm69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Boy - and I thought I procrastinated. Found this old link while cleaning a retired laptop and the last page has someone with a server from 2013. Then I went to storage unit #2 and found the unopened 24 bay supermicro I purchased from TAM in 8/2012. Lugged it back to the house.... wonder if it will sit another 7 years before I open it

stm69 is offline  
post #2547 of 2547 Old 05-12-2019, 06:52 PM
Member
 
Carisma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lanham, MD
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlgi74 View Post
The backplanes are SATA and SAS compatible... So only one mini SAS cable is necessary from each backplane to the PTJBOD-CB3 controller card.

I am and have been using FlexRAID for many years without issue.

Like I said early... I swapped out the jet engine sounding fans for something much, much more quiet. Although my drives hover around the 32 - 34 degree mark... I am thinking of adding three 120mm fans for more air flow.

The PSUs that came with the expander are PWS-1K41P-1R. They are very quiet... just about the same volume level as my PWS-1K28P-SQ PSUs.

Hope this helps
John
What fans did you use and how did you mount them?
Carisma is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Norco Rpc 4020 4u Rackmount Server Chassis W 20 Hot Swappable Sata Sas Drive Bays , Norco

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off