Ripping TV Season BD Discs - How to determine which episode is which? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #31 of 42 Old 04-07-2015, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 27
interesting. will have to look into that program.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 01-07-2018, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Any updates on this? I've run into episodes ripping out of sequence a few times - most recently with NBC's CHUCK on Blu-ray - and it's quite frustrating when we start watching the next episode via Plex only to find that the "previously on" doesn't look familiar at all and ruins stuff we haven't seen yet.

I typically end up looking at the episode photos on TheMovieDb.org and trying to find the one that looks right. For example:
https://www.themoviedb.org/tv/1404-c...ages/backdrops

Pausing the mkv a few minutes in and comparing to what you see at that time code via the computer's Blu-ray player software seems logical too, but alas I no longer have playback software on this machine so I'd have to purchase something.

It shouldn't be so difficult!

Thanks for any tips that may have emerged...
post #33 of 42 Old 01-07-2018, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbrowncoat View Post
Any updates on this? I've run into episodes ripping out of sequence a few times - most recently with NBC's CHUCK on Blu-ray - and it's quite frustrating when we start watching the next episode via Plex only to find that the "previously on" doesn't look familiar at all and ruins stuff we haven't seen yet.

I typically end up looking at the episode photos on TheMovieDb.org and trying to find the one that looks right. For example:
https://www.themoviedb.org/tv/1404-c...ages/backdrops

Pausing the mkv a few minutes in and comparing to what you see at that time code via the computer's Blu-ray player software seems logical too, but alas I no longer have playback software on this machine so I'd have to purchase something.

It shouldn't be so difficult!

Thanks for any tips that may have emerged...
I recently jumped back into this dilemma. Haven't made much headway though. The one useful resource I've discovered is thetvdb.com, which will (if someone has uploaded the info) show the "order" of the episodes on the disc(s).

Tried searching again for a website that has the exact episode lengths posted, but no luck. Seems like some pretty straight-forward info we should have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 42 Old 01-07-2018, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I do it manually: play a disc to see how its episodes start. That also gives me the duration. Find the MKV that matches the duration and the first couple seconds. Label file according to IMDB or the disc packaging.
Kelson likes this.
post #35 of 42 Old 01-07-2018, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks all
post #36 of 42 Old 01-07-2018, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked: 1427
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post
I do it manually: play a disc to see how its episodes start. That also gives me the duration. Find the MKV that matches the duration and the first couple seconds.
I use MakeMKV to rip TV show episodes on BD. My BD player info-display shows the min:sec time of an episode. It matches exactly the episode time shown by MakeMKV. So I play the disk and view the first couple seconds of each episode -- just enough for the display to show me the duration. This results in unique identification of each episode. I've never had the case where 2 episodes on a disk have exactly the same duration.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #37 of 42 Old 01-07-2018, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 81
^ yep, that’s more or less how I do it.
post #38 of 42 Old 02-03-2018, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1208 Post(s)
Liked: 774
I have done it manual or use VLC as it will show me the title. I have done a few this way. The first real troubled one I found was the Batman TV show from the 60's BD. A 12 episode BD has like 20+ titles on it and using PowerDVD or VLC no matter what episode I select always shows title one. Looks like this one is a rip them all and test each mkv. What a hassle due to crazy authoring of the disc.

LG 77 C9 (Also LG 65 C7 and Sony XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
post #39 of 42 Old 02-16-2018, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 117
FWIW, I go by time stamps also (ie. starting to play each episode in PowerDVD12, recording the run time and comparing to MakeMKV). Only rarely do I run into 2 episodes on the same disk that both have the same run time where I have to make a note about what's going on in the opening scene to compare also, so it's not too much of a hassle and you can almost always avoid any spoilers this way. Also from my experience, DVD episodes are always in order. Or at least if there's a show on DVD that isn't I haven't run into it yet. It's only blurays that are hit and miss and even then it's probably only 20-25% or so of the disks I've ripped that throw them up out of order, with Twin Peaks S3 being the most recent one I've run into like this.
post #40 of 42 Old 02-16-2018, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Just a long shot here, but wouldn't the label on the disc or the liner notes in the case indicate the episode titles? I'm assuming of course that you own the media and are just looking to convert them to a more easily accessible format on a server or other storage media. The link I posted previously to epguides.com will provide the necessary season and episode numbers. If you don't have the documentation that came with the disc then you could look for torrents of the original discs and see if they include the liner notes or a pic of the disc. You can pic and choose which files to download so I don't think you'd be violating any copyrights just by downloading the pics or docs.
post #41 of 42 Old 04-16-2018, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm currently ripping my Friends DVD box set, so what I do is go to the Friends Wiki site where it has the episodes arranged by DVD disc number and exact runtime. Then I compare the MKV file and just rename it to the correspondent episode, no need to even open the file in VLC. I haven't found yet episodes with the exact same runtime.

Of course, this only applies to the Friends series, but I bet there are some sort of wiki for other shows that have exact disc and runtime information, which is how you can easily tell.
post #42 of 42 Old 01-13-2020, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Bumping this thread...

Has anyone possibly considered simply crowdsourcing the appropriate data into a spreadsheet or database? I know on this very same forum in a similar vein there's a crowdsourced spreadsheet of forced subtitle data for movies that goes into detail like the MPLS filename, track number by MakeMKV or Handbrake, and a bunch of other stuff. That thread is located here. This could easily be done for this as well. Granted this would require a little more data to be stored/documented. Not to mention users to jumpstart it with their own data. But definitely could be doable. Couple thoughts I had on the matter if anyone is interested in this:

Based on 'Automatic Ripping Machine' and it's handling of discs, for DVDs it may be best to ID by CRC hash in case of multiple releases of the same series/season/set/etc. There's already python libraries and other tools that will do this. This is also how Windows Media Player and Media Center did metadata lookups so it seems pretty reliable. Getting the CRC will be permanently available just Microsoft's metadata service may not be. However that isn't 100% necessary here.

Blurays I'm not sure of an equivalent reliable identification. ARM simply reads the meta xml file on the BD which just has the disc title. I'm not sure if this has the potential to be duplicated on different releases but it doesn't seem to be out of the realm of reality. Maybe UPC codes and further sub-ID by disc/volume/season? Just spitballing that one. If anyone has any better suggestions, shoot.

From there probably the obvious:
  • MakeMKV title/track #
  • Handbrake Title #
  • MPLS filename for BD's
  • Season/Episode numbers - eg S01E01, S01E01E02, etc.
  • Forced subtitle track # if any, could probably break this down to MakeMKV and Handbrake numbers similar to the movie forced subtitle spreadsheet - Also I feel this would be an optional field for sure. Priority is getting the episode/track correlation
  • Extra notes field

I'm potentially going to be embarking on a project of ripping a bunch of my friend's anime collection as well as some of my own western cartoon sets so this has been on my research radar and I'm surprised there hasn't really been any progress on this front. I've utilized the aforementioned movie forced subtitle spreadsheet numerous times which has often been invaluable for ripping those even if it is a manual process. I imagine this would be just as useful not only for myself but many others.

Thoughts? I'd love to jumpstart this with my own stuff as I go through them, the biggest issue is getting a good database/spreadsheet layout together.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Blu Ray Movies

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page