Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information Requested.! - Page 152 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 144Likes

post #4531 of 4731 Old 12-02-2015, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2725
Is the striped performance a boost? How does that compare to RAID 0 ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4532 of 4731 Old 12-02-2015, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Is the striped performance a boost? How does that compare to RAID 0 ?
It's the same thing. RAID-0 = striped with no parity.
post #4533 of 4731 Old 12-02-2015, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

I meant what kind of speed and performance with windows doing it ? As compared to hardware raid or Intel chipset raid ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4534 of 4731 Old 12-05-2015, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Probably the same as using the Intel chipset since that is mostly using the processor anyway, same as Windows.
post #4535 of 4731 Old 12-14-2015, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post
Probably the same as using the Intel chipset since that is mostly using the processor anyway, same as Windows.
I have found that the intel chipset performance is pretty good.
post #4536 of 4731 Old 12-14-2015, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBurns View Post
I just recently had a drive that was cutting in and out. I think it might have been a software issue and not making any clicking noises. Mine wasn't in an array but I used TestDisk from cgsecurity.org. There's a video on youtube on how to use it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maR47QBgVwY).

Again, not sure how this'll work with your drives in an array but it worked out great for me, plus it's free.
So this looks like a great tool, but the partition is different when you have 4 RAID drives on the intel chipset and the program seems confused by that.
post #4537 of 4731 Old 12-14-2015, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
I'm stuck at 4TB at the moment because my parity is 4TB's.

That said, I've got plenty of space. Still have 10Tb free (of 90TB) and I can delete stuff, and even have another drive I can add here.

I would like to systematically replace my drives, starting with the 3+ year old ones first- over the next two years.
Quote:
I could but it is a bit out of date at this point, I started back in 2011/2012 and evolved a lot through the process.

At this point starting today, there is other options people might want to consider, although my server is still running excellent and I have been extremely pleased.

Can you believe that I just had my first Seagate 7200.14 die ? That is the first of probably 30 of them.

It was labeled BluRAY #2- So it was only the second one I bought, and the date of manufacture was 5/2012. I feel like I have been extremely lucky with that too.

If you have a specific question or advice ask away and I can try to help you out best I can. I do not update this thread much anymore, it kind of ran it's coarse. These days I just want my stuff to work and keep working without much fuss. I am still running WHS2011 OS because of that, and it's great. Someday soon when the theater is done I will do a major overhaul I think, but although my PC gear is getting older now, it was robust so it's still viable. I would recommend that to anyone, or at least recommend they consider it. There is a cost of learning, troubleshooting, time spent setting up... so doing it and then enjoying a longer ROI is great IMO.
Quote:
One of my (4) scratch disk drives (2TB) seems to be cutting out and dieing....

What's my options ?

It shows failed in BIOS sometimes, sometimes not. It works, sometimes, and sometimes not.

I checked the wires.

I think one drive is just failing or has issues.

I would like to copy off of it what I can before it is gone. But my copy fails or bogs so I am having issues with that.

Normally I do not really have stuff on my RAID 0 that I need to keep, but of coarse I just loaded about 200GB of GO PRO videos and time lapse of my new theater build and construction project, and I would really love to save that before I RMA the drive and rebuild the array.

What is the best options to recover the data? Or copy it? It is 4x Hitachi 2TB drives in RAID 0 running off my Asrock Extreme4 Mobo using Intel RAID from the chipset. This is my workstation, not my server FYI.
And all the meantime of this thread I stuck with JBOD and haven't had any issues at all. Sometimes it is cumbersome to manage but it still works!

post #4538 of 4731 Old 12-15-2015, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
So this looks like a great tool, but the partition is different when you have 4 RAID drives on the intel chipset and the program seems confused by that.
I wasn't sure if that program would work with your drives in a RAID array, sucks that it doesnt as it's a very easy program to use.
post #4539 of 4731 Old 12-17-2015, 08:15 AM

@Mfusick
What's your current setup now? How many drives are you running? Can you post a pic or tow of your server/servers?
post #4540 of 4731 Old 12-18-2015, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBurns View Post
@Mfusick
What's your current setup now? How many drives are you running? Can you post a pic or tow of your server/servers?
It's mostly the same.

Norco 4220 chassis. i7 CPU (2600k) on Z77 Asrock Extreme mobo. IBM and Dell cards flashed, SAS8087 to each row.
I have 3 cards installed. The third runs to the expander chassis I bought. I think it has 16 drives in it, it connects with a SAS8087. Only 8 of those are included in my storage pool. Still rocking Flexraid.

I have a few drives installed not included in the pool, stuff like backups or duplicity, etc...

My OS is WHS2011 still. On 120GB SSD drive. This is something I would like to update. I would like to go with a 256GB SSD drive this time (120GB too small), and a more modern OS. Windows 10 ?

What you guys think? What is the best option for this?
post #4541 of 4731 Old 12-18-2015, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

As for pics I can dig up some old ones but currently my server is not hooked up. Long story. The short version is our home was water damaged and we have moved out to a temp location while the repairs are done at the home. Neither my server or my expansion chassis are hooked up at the moment, something I plan to actually hook back up this weekend. Only my desktop is working at the moment.

I am hoping there is no water damage to the server and accompany pieces to it. I have hopes this is so. I did lose an IBM card, it was in a small tuperware storage buck without a lid and the container filled with water. Lesson learned about the value of lids. I just bought a pair on ebay this week. I will use one I think for my desktop. My SAS8087 to SATA wires just showed up too.

Desktop is still Cosmos II chassis, Asrock Extreme Z87 with 4770k chip, etc... nothing changed there either. My HTPC is a 3570k, that got a little wet and is currently in storage with a storage company. Insurance paid to have a moving company empty our home and store the contents in climate controlled while repairs are done, I only kept about 5% of my total belongings and have them at the moment. But I did not trust the server to go there... haha. It's stupidly heavy BTW. When you load 20 hard drives into a Norco they get rather heavy!

Once I finally get back up and running I can post a pic for you. I expect (hope) it should be soon.

I am due for an update soon I think. If there is water damage or a problem it might force my hander sooner than I want.

It had previously been working awesome so I left it alone. Once you traverse the path to get there, it's nice to enjoy the location for a while I think. It was essentially on auto pilot for months at a time. I would remote into it perhaps once a month for this or that, but rarely found the need to change or do much. Almost everything I do I tend to do on my desktop, the server is just really NAS these days.
post #4542 of 4731 Old 12-18-2015, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked: 2459
Quote:
My OS is WHS2011 still. On 120GB SSD drive. This is something I would like to update. I would like to go with a 256GB SSD drive this time (120GB too small), and a more modern OS. Windows 10 ?

What you guys think? What is the best option for this?
I switched from WHS2011 to Win7 Pro. You could give that a try, and if you don't like it you can still get the free upgrade to Win10 until July 28th.
post #4543 of 4731 Old 12-19-2015, 07:56 AM

@Mfusick
Sorry to hear about the water damage. Hopefully everything will work out for you.
post #4544 of 4731 Old 12-19-2015, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
As for pics I can dig up some old ones but currently my server is not hooked up. Long story. The short version is our home was water damaged and we have moved out to a temp location while the repairs are done at the home. Neither my server or my expansion chassis are hooked up at the moment, something I plan to actually hook back up this weekend. Only my desktop is working at the moment.

I am hoping there is no water damage to the server and accompany pieces to it. I have hopes this is so. I did lose an IBM card, it was in a small tuperware storage buck without a lid and the container filled with water. Lesson learned about the value of lids. I just bought a pair on ebay this week. I will use one I think for my desktop. My SAS8087 to SATA wires just showed up too.

Desktop is still Cosmos II chassis, Asrock Extreme Z87 with 4770k chip, etc... nothing changed there either. My HTPC is a 3570k, that got a little wet and is currently in storage with a storage company. Insurance paid to have a moving company empty our home and store the contents in climate controlled while repairs are done, I only kept about 5% of my total belongings and have them at the moment. But I did not trust the server to go there... haha. It's stupidly heavy BTW. When you load 20 hard drives into a Norco they get rather heavy!

Once I finally get back up and running I can post a pic for you. I expect (hope) it should be soon.

I am due for an update soon I think. If there is water damage or a problem it might force my hander sooner than I want.

It had previously been working awesome so I left it alone. Once you traverse the path to get there, it's nice to enjoy the location for a while I think. It was essentially on auto pilot for months at a time. I would remote into it perhaps once a month for this or that, but rarely found the need to change or do much. Almost everything I do I tend to do on my desktop, the server is just really NAS these days.

Are you using the older FlexRAID or the newer tRAID version?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have to return some video tapes....
post #4545 of 4731 Old 12-19-2015, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I switched from WHS2011 to Win7 Pro. You could give that a try, and if you don't like it you can still get the free upgrade to Win10 until July 28th.
How does that work with future clean installs ?

I would like a clean install. My experience with "upgrades" is they suck.
post #4546 of 4731 Old 12-19-2015, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How does that work with future clean installs ?

I would like a clean install. My experience with "upgrades" is they suck.
I heard since the last update came out you can now activate a Windows 10 clean install with a Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 product key. I have not tried it yet so I can't confirm that actually works.

Edit: Once the upgrade is activated your hardware will be registered with a digital entitlement. You can then do as many clean installs on that PC as you want without worrying about activating it again.

Last edited by Ken.F; 12-19-2015 at 06:52 PM.
post #4547 of 4731 Old 12-19-2015, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
I heard since the last update came out you can now activate a Windows 10 clean install with a Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 product key. I have not tried it yet so I can't confirm that actually works.
I can confirm it. I just did a clean install of Windows 10 and used a Windows 7 key directly to activate it.
post #4548 of 4731 Old 12-20-2015, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:

Edit: Once the upgrade is activated your hardware will be registered with a digital entitlement. You can then do as many clean installs on that PC as you want without worrying about activating it again.

That's correct, all you have to do is grab the installer off the Microsoft site.
post #4549 of 4731 Old 12-21-2015, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

This is cool info. So I can basically clean install w10 using my windows 7 pro key, and the free upgrade I used to convert it to w10.
post #4550 of 4731 Old 01-04-2016, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 44
What cable would I need for something like this? I will be using a LSI 9211-8i flashed to IT mode as the HBA

http://www.ipcdirect.net/norco-ss-50...t-swap-module/

Last edited by amarshonarbangla; 01-04-2016 at 09:02 PM.
post #4551 of 4731 Old 01-04-2016, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarshonarbangla View Post
What cable would I need for something like this? I will be using a LSI 9211-8i flashed to IT mode as the HBA

http://www.ipcdirect.net/norco-ss-50...t-swap-module/
One of these for every 4 drives (one SAS SFF8087 port on the HBA takes 4 SATA drives): http://www.ipcdirect.net/discrete-sa...reakout-cable/
post #4552 of 4731 Old 01-04-2016, 10:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaraxkad View Post
One of these for every 4 drives (one SAS SFF8087 port on the HBA takes 4 SATA drives): http://www.ipcdirect.net/discrete-sa...reakout-cable/
Would this work?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

And what's the difference between "forward" and "reverse" SAS cables?
post #4553 of 4731 Old 01-04-2016, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Would this work?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

And what's the difference between "forward" and "reverse" SAS cables?
Good thing you thought to ask that, because I didn't even think to check the specs on link I posted earlier and it was the wrong type! A "forward" breakout cable is one where the controller port is SAS and the drives/backplane are SATA. A reverse breakout is one where the controller ports are SATA and you're connecting them to a SAS backplane. The item on Amazon doesn't explicitly state it but the details describe a forward cable. You can pretty much assume that most of them are forward.
post #4554 of 4731 Old 01-04-2016, 11:19 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 698
You want a Forward breakout cable. (the one linked above by Quaraxkad is the incorrect cable for your application)

A forward breakout cable is for connecting a SAS controller (typically SFF 8087 multilane connector) to individual SATA ports
A reverse breakout cable is for connecting 4 SATA ports from the controller to a multilane SAS enclosure

The one you linked to looks to be the correct one.
post #4555 of 4731 Old 01-04-2016, 11:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks guys! I will be getting a pre-flashed LSI 9211-8i from ebay next week along with the cage and two 6TB HDDs. Should make for a nice little project when everything arrives
post #4556 of 4731 Old 01-05-2016, 04:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks guys! I will be getting a pre-flashed LSI 9211-8i from ebay next week along with the cage and two 6TB HDDs. Should make for a nice little project when everything arrives
I use these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16816115064

These cables are 1 meter long. The extra length is nice to have if you are using a large server chassis but it could make cable management difficult if you are using a desktop case.
post #4557 of 4731 Old 01-05-2016, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Do I need to install any drivers in Windows 10 for the 9211-8i in IT mode?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291641245650
post #4558 of 4731 Old 01-06-2016, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

Yes pay attention to forward vs reverse... it matters
post #4559 of 4731 Old 01-06-2016, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quick question,

I need to make some hard drive backups of a few office style PC's and their various hardrives. Most are SSD but some are normal HDD.

What is the best way to do this? Ideally I would like to do it at the hardware level, outside of windows or an OS being installed or required.

Is there a dock or something that works well? I need simple and fast. Or- is it better to use a USB stick boot from BIOS and just copy to a new disc ? Suggestions?
post #4560 of 4731 Old 01-06-2016, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1754 Post(s)
Liked: 790
Quote:
Do I need to install any drivers in Windows 10 for the 9211-8i in IT mode?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291641245650
I've never needed any, but I've never tried anything newer than Server 2012r2. It wouldn't hurt to go into device manager and right click on the card and hit update to see if there is anything it picks up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Flexraid , Intel Core I5 4670k 3 4ghz Lga 1150 Quad Core Desktop Processor , Intel Core I3 4130 3 4 3 Fclga 1150 Processor Bx80646i34130 , Asrock , Asrock Z87m Extreme4 Lga1150 Intel Z87 Chipset Ddr3 Quad Crossfirex Quad Sli Sata3 Usb3 0 Microatx M , Asus , Asus Us , Asus Computer , Asus Components , Norco , Asus Computer International Direct , Flexraid Raid F , Seagate , Seagate Hard Drives , Seagate Freeagent Theater 1080p Hd Media Player Stcea201 Rk , Hitachi , Dell , Windows 7 Vista Xp Media Center Mce Pc Remote Control And Infrared Receiver , Hp Oem Window Media Center Mce Pc Remote Control And Infrared Receiver For Windows7 Vista Xp Home Pr , Intel , Intel Core I5 3570 3 4 Ghz Processor , Intel Pentium G2020 2 9ghz Lga 1155 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Intel Pentium G3220 3 0ghz Lga 1150 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd , Amd A10 6700 Richland 4 2ghz Socket Fm2 65w Quad Core Desktop Processor Amd Radeon Hd Ad6700okhlbox , Amd A6 5400k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd A8 5600k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Quad Core Desk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page