HD PVR 2 1512 Owners Thread - Page 30 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #871 of 883 Old 11-15-2019, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked: 4445
FWIW,

I have the first HD-PVR2 box as well as the most-recent Gaming Edition Plus.

I HAD a 1212 'till lightning got it. Loved it in that it had Windows Media Center Drivers which enabled my HTPC to automatically record programs from DirecTV. I miss that.

I have the 1512's component breakout cable and optical audio connected to the DirecTV receiver... and the HDMI port is connected to a streaming stick. I can switch from within Hauppauge Capture depending on what I'm doing. I usually leave it in Component/SPDIF for recording from DirecTV via Hauppauge's WinTV program. All in all, it works rather well.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 883 Old 11-15-2019, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 5545 Post(s)
Liked: 3985
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
FWIW,

I have the first HD-PVR2 box as well as the most-recent Gaming Edition Plus.

I HAD a 1212 'till lightning got it. Loved it in that it had Windows Media Center Drivers which enabled my HTPC to automatically record programs from DirecTV. I miss that.

I have the 1512's component breakout cable and optical audio connected to the DirecTV receiver... and the HDMI port is connected to a streaming stick. I can switch from within Hauppauge Capture depending on what I'm doing. I usually leave it in Component/SPDIF for recording from DirecTV via Hauppauge's WinTV program. All in all, it works rather well.
I had some initial issues getting my 1212 to work on my new laptop but Hauppauge helped me out and converted me to "Hauppauge Capture" instead of Arcsoft Total Media Extreme and Showbiz and now it works great. The image looks fine to me but I wonder what I might be missing.

@DrDon , do you find HDMI input makes for a better quality recording than component? I understand it is better in theory, sure, but is it actually visually better in real world use, in your opinion?
post #873 of 883 Old 11-15-2019, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
...do you find HDMI input makes for a better quality recording than component? I understand it is better in theory, sure, but is it actually visually better in real world use, in your opinion?
Anytime you go from digital to analog, then back to digital you're going to lose a little. A lot depends on the source, too. You'll never notice any difference if you're recording highly-compressed channels from a cable company or an over-the-air tuner (If you're doing the latter, get a 2250 or one of the other PC tuning solutions). If you're recording live sports from, say, NFL Sunday Ticket, you might notice some difference. You might not care, either.

The HDMI port on the dedicated DirecTV receiver I use for recording is cooked, so I'm kinda forced to use component. That said, we record cooking shows and cable network series. Not exactly high PQ fare. Right now, I'm trying to chase down a tiny hum bar that crawls up the screen. So small, I forget it's there when watching "Chopped." Not high up my priority list. I have another DirecTV box with a working HDMI port I could swap in but I kinda like having it wired up the way it is.

For movies, I lean toward BDs as they're arguably the best when it comes to a motion picture's PQ on a home screen. You won't find me recording many HBO movies, for example. I'll get the disc.

My use of the 1512 is probably less than ever as most things we record are available via streaming, these days.

Probably a longer answer than you were expecting, but that's me for ya.
m. zillch likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #874 of 883 Old 11-15-2019, 02:06 PM

Thanks.

As you may already know, horizontal, slowly migrating hum bars are almost always due to a ground loop in the overall system. They can be a bear to pin down. Sometimes people will swear on a bible that every single AC device they own goes to the same AC power strip, so they are properly maintaining a "star grounding topology" which should prevent ground loops, but then I ask them:"Even your sub in the corner and your 30 foot away video monitor?" and they say "But why should that matter?"

The key to nailing down ground loops is to worry about every wire which interacts with the system, not just the ones where the problem is manifested. Sometimes you unplug your sub and suddenly the TV's hum bar goes away!

Satellite antenna bandwidth friendly isolation transformers for the incoming RF feed are harder to come by than cable bandwidth ones, but if you can find one that may also help. If recording to a laptop, yanking the AC power cord and using just battery power for the recording session also sometimes works.

Just my 2 cents.
post #875 of 883 Old 11-15-2019, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

40 years in this industry, so yeah, I know about ground loops. Chased down more than I can count. I even have a preset on my audio program to remove ground hum from darn near anything. So much "supplied" audio comes in with hum. Go figure.

Had some pretty thick hum bars when I first connected it all up. Changed component cables and that wiped out all but the tiniest distortion that crawls up at an amazingly slow pace. Had to point it out to the wife, it's that tiny.

As I said, I'll get to it. It just doesn't bother me enough to devote the time at the moment.

Much thanks.
m. zillch likes this.

post #876 of 883 Old 11-16-2019, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
1515? I assume you mean 1512? [I can't find anything on a 1515.]

My 1212 records 5.1 with the firmware update but I find the recordings are too glitchy from my cablebox using that so I usually use RCA analog, even though it is just stereo. Using 5.1 often causes the recording to lock up when I tried that because ever few minutes my Dolby sync light on my AVR shows a stutter [momentary loss of lock I guess] and that causes a glitch such as a frozen frame in the recording.

Not sure how HDMI would go.
The correct model number is 1512. The only problem I have is with On Demand shows from DirecTV. When they switch to a commercial there is a glitch and my editing program thinks that is the end of the show. I use a program called "TS Doctor" to remove all the glitches.
post #877 of 883 Old 11-17-2019, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Maybe I missed which cable company you have. Some employ copy protection on every channel, some don't. Some cable boxes balk when connected to anything other than a display. Some don't. When I was with Bright House (now Spectrum) I had the 1512 connected via component video and optical audio. I'm now on DirecTV and using HDMI from the DirecTV receiver through an ViewHD splitter then on to the 1512 (other output of the splitter runs a display in my media room). Works 90% of the time. When it doesn't work, rebooting everything in the chain fixes it.
I'm trying to get my HD PVR2 up and running and ordered the splitter linked here, however I can't get it to work. It works fine if there is a TV connected, and the light for that output turns blue but the one going to the PVR stays off. If I remove the TV from the loop, the output to the PVR will just stay off as well. I know this was an old post, but have they changed the HDCP on these? Is there another one that is worth trying?

EDIT: After looking at some of the ViewHD VHD-0102M models on ebay, it looks like I received a different kind, despite ordering this specific model from Amazon. The ones I'm seeing on ebay come in a green box with ViewHD branded on the box and the splitter has the company and correct model branded as well. The one I received came in a blue box with no company name, the splitter doesn't have any company or model information, and the only thing indicating ViewHD was the instruction manual which was actually for the VHD-0104M.

Last edited by John_Galt; 11-17-2019 at 12:18 PM.
post #878 of 883 Old 11-17-2019, 12:19 PM

^Not sure but it might be sensitive to turn on order. I would be sure the Hauppauge is powered on before the transmitting source.
post #879 of 883 Old 11-17-2019, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

^ In my experience, brand of television also makes a difference. When I have my newer Samsung connected to the other leg of the splitter, the DirecTV box shuts off its HDMI (or did when that port still worked). Connected to a 6-year-old Sony and all was well.

post #880 of 883 Old 11-24-2019, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I think HDMI is more glitchy than optical. Buy the 1512 from someplace with a return policy. Try it out. Use TSdoctor or VideoRedo quick stream fix on the captured files.
m. zillch likes this.
post #881 of 883 Old 11-25-2019, 01:09 PM
SHS
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Well DrDon I don't know what to say I had no problem with mine
post #882 of 883 Old 11-25-2019, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
Well DrDon I don't know what to say I had no problem with mine
Weird that you have the same setup I have, then. Year-old Samsung TV, H24 DirecTV Receiver, ViewHD splitter, first-gen 1512.

Reason I finally went with the D* receiver with component/optical is that the one with the functioning HDMI port just shut it off whenever it saw a certain combination of things it didn't like. And that only started following a software update to the H24. Here's how it broke down when connecting via HDMI:

H24 -> 1X2 splitter (with nothing on the other leg) -> 1512 with a Vizio connected to the loop-thru = black screen.

H24 -> 1X2 splitter (with a Sony on one leg and the 1512 on the other) and the Vizio connected to the loop-through = all works perfectly.

H24 -> 1X2 splitter (with a Vizio on one leg and the 1512 on the other) and the Vizio connected to the loop-throuh = all works perfectly.

H24 -> 1X2 splitter (with the Samsung on one leg and the 1512 on the other) = black screen, regardless of whether the Vizio is connected or not.

H24 -> directly to the 1512 = Black screen (this used to work prior to the H24 sw update)

H24 -> 1X2 splitter -> 1512 with nothing connected to the other leg and nothing on the loop-thru = hit or miss. Sometimes, it handshakes, sometimes it doesn't.

The behavior is the same with the 1st (blue ring) gen 1512 or the Gaming Edition Plus.

The behavior is actually a little worse with a Chromecast attached. Will ONLY work in the Sony configuration, above. Everything else is a blank screen.

And, yeah, it's with multiple ViewHD splitters. I have a whole box of 'em.

The H24 with the still-functioning HDMI port is now relegated to the living room, where it drives a 1X4 splitter. Nothing works unless the displays are connected in a particular order. Get it wrong and the receiver throws up an error message and will either shut off the HDMI port or cut video to it for 1 second every 5.

Can you tell I hate HDCP???

Last edited by DrDon; 11-25-2019 at 02:50 PM.
post #883 of 883 Old 11-25-2019, 02:53 PM
SHS
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Can you tell I hate HDCP???
LoL know
Sponsored Links