Latest Ceton InfiniTV 6 Info Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #31 of 1203 Old 05-13-2013, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickotz View Post

1. It will work with any software the existing PCIe and USB InfiniTV work with.
2. There is no transcoding support in hardware
3. There is no DNLA support at this time
4. I'm a little unclear what you're looking for here. All of our tuners support the DRI, which is a publicaly available spec, and several products have implemented support using this.

I am just saying this has come at a good time. Going to the Ethernet version will move the tuners out of my case - and take the heat with them. I could not justify the purchase if only moving to another 4 tuner - but moving to a 6 tuner means it is also an upgrade. smile.gif

As an aside, do you know how to roll back a beta firmware update - I grabbed the newest ones yesterday for my PCIe Ceton tuner card when the tool said there was an update and received my first "no tuners available" error in well over a year. The previous beta firmware was rock solid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1203 Old 05-13-2013, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

4. I'm a little unclear what you're looking for here. All of our tuners support the DRI, which is a publicaly available spec, and several products have implemented support using this.
Thanks for the answers.

which products have DRI support? especially on Mac...?
post #33 of 1203 Old 05-14-2013, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
If you have 2 PC Computers, PC ONE and PC TWO in a network with the InfiniTV 6 ETH,
will you be able to watch recorded TV from PC ONE on PC TWO?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 1203 Old 05-14-2013, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyTV View Post

If you have 2 PC Computers, PC ONE and PC TWO in a network with the InfiniTV 6 ETH,

I'm sure someone with more knowledge of how a multi WMC set up works will respond with more detail, but I think, unless you have copy freely recordings, you can only watch on the first PC it recorded on, or extenders.
I think something called "SoftSled" was supposed to fix this, but I haven't heard anything about that in a while.
post #35 of 1203 Old 05-14-2013, 06:40 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2008 Post(s)
Liked: 2480
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyTV View Post

If the shows are tagged as copy freely, then yes. If they're tagged as copy once (or never), then no. This tuner doesn't change any of the existing rules related to copy protected recordings, it just makes it easier to allocate / share tuners to multiple PC's than the previous Ceton options did since it's now physically on your home network instead of being physically tied (either by PCIe or a USB cable) to a specific PC.
post #36 of 1203 Old 05-14-2013, 06:50 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Eric, how will driver installation / setup work for the ETH version? The video you guys posted only covered the physical setup (plug in a CableCard, coax, ethernet, and power connection), which is all pretty obvious stuff. But once we've done that part, what do we do on the PC side? If we already have the drivers and diagnostic tool installed on the PC for existing InfiniTV 4 cards, what's the procedure to get the InfiniTV 6 ETH setup on the PC? With Verizon FIOS, should I expect to run into any issues with transferring a CableCard from one of my InfiniTV 4 cards into the InfiniTV 6 ETH and getting it paired to the new tuner (I know we've all read that some providers don't have a clue when it comes to pairing a CableCard that's already been paired to a different device)?

I ordered one of these from Amazon last night and it should arrive tomorrow. Assuming all goes well, I'll probably order a 2nd one and put both of my InfiniTV 4 PCIe cards up on ebay.

[Edit - I see that you guys have updated the installation instructions on your web site to cover the setup procedure for the ETH version.]
post #37 of 1203 Old 05-14-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by netant View Post

Thanks for the answers.

which products have DRI support? especially on Mac...?

I believe JRiver has a Mac port. Also MythTV does. Remember though no Mac client supports the DRM necessary for Copy Once content, so you will only be able to watch Copy Freely channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Eric, how will driver installation / setup work for the ETH version? The video you guys posted only covered the physical setup (plug in a CableCard, coax, ethernet, and power connection), which is all pretty obvious stuff. But once we've done that part, what do we do on the PC side? If we already have the drivers and diagnostic tool installed on the PC for existing InfiniTV 4 cards, what's the procedure to get the InfiniTV 6 ETH setup on the PC? With Verizon FIOS, should I expect to run into any issues with transferring a CableCard from one of my InfiniTV 4 cards into the InfiniTV 6 ETH and getting it paired to the new tuner (I know we've all read that some providers don't have a clue when it comes to pairing a CableCard that's already been paired to a different device)?

I ordered one of these from Amazon last night and it should arrive tomorrow. Assuming all goes well, I'll probably order a 2nd one and put both of my InfiniTV 4 PCIe cards up on ebay.

[Edit - I see that you guys have updated the installation instructions on your web site to cover the setup procedure for the ETH version.]

The install is pretty much the same as PCIe or USB. Install Ceton software. Plug in tuner. Set up WMC.

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #38 of 1203 Old 05-14-2013, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I believe JRiver has a Mac port. Also MythTV does. Remember though no Mac client supports the DRM necessary for Copy Once content, so you will only be able to watch Copy Freely channels.
The install is pretty much the same as PCIe or USB. Install Ceton software. Plug in tuner. Set up WMC.

I suppose I can just buy the tuner and install JRiver or MythTV for Mac, then watch copy-freely channels ? No Windows PC involved during the setup process?
post #39 of 1203 Old 05-14-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1059 Post(s)
Liked: 346
So in addition to the cost of the MAC over a PC, you pay another $50 to use JRiver and you cannot watch copy-protected content.

Sweet deal there.

post #40 of 1203 Old 05-14-2013, 11:18 AM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

As an aside, do you know how to roll back a beta firmware update - I grabbed the newest ones yesterday for my PCIe Ceton tuner card when the tool said there was an update and received my first "no tuners available" error in well over a year. The previous beta firmware was rock solid.

I'm assuming that Ceton's are like SD Homerun's in that it's not possible to rollback firmware. I believe it's a CableLabs requirement.
post #41 of 1203 Old 05-14-2013, 11:27 AM

Well, hopefully I do not get any more "no tuners found" then.
post #42 of 1203 Old 05-14-2013, 11:44 AM

I just ordered the 6 tuner Ethernet device. I will let you all know how the install goes, on Verizon FiOS, when it gets here in a few days. I ran into an issue where I did not have enough tuners for the shows I wanted to record, due to the lame way Microsoft does the back to back on the same channel show recording. Since they cut part of one show and put it onto the other, I have all my shows setup to start 4 minutes before and end 10 minutes after (forced, not if available).
post #43 of 1203 Old 05-14-2013, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

This is probably going to go under the “weird” questions, but I’m in a situation where I am completely out of Ethernet ports on the back of my Apple Airport Extreme router… I’ve been getting by so far with the iTV4 USB connected directly to my media center. I figured I’m up the creek until I can get hold of a small home 10/100/1000 switch… but I got to thinking…
My media center has two Ethernet jacks coming out the back… would it be possible to use one of those for the iTV6 ETH and basically use the new unit like the old but instead of USB, it would be a CAT5e. I really do not need to share the 6 tuners as I have one media center “server” and a bunch of xbox/echos on the other TVs. Would this even be possible?
post #44 of 1203 Old 05-14-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappjay View Post

This is probably going to go under the “weird” questions, but I’m in a situation where I am completely out of Ethernet ports on the back of my Apple Airport Extreme router… I’ve been getting by so far with the iTV4 USB connected directly to my media center. I figured I’m up the creek until I can get hold of a small home 10/100/1000 switch… but I got to thinking…
My media center has two Ethernet jacks coming out the back… would it be possible to use one of those for the iTV6 ETH and basically use the new unit like the old but instead of USB, it would be a CAT5e. I really do not need to share the 6 tuners as I have one media center “server” and a bunch of xbox/echos on the other TVs. Would this even be possible?

Yes, you could do that (though would need to set up a static IP or DHCP server on the InfiniTV.
snappjay likes this.

post #45 of 1203 Old 05-14-2013, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes, you could do that (though would need to set up a static IP or DHCP server on the InfiniTV.

Wow, that was quick. Thanks Eric. That will save me a couple points on WAF.
post #46 of 1203 Old 05-14-2013, 12:18 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I just ordered the 6 tuner Ethernet device. I will let you all know how the install goes, on Verizon FiOS, when it gets here in a few days. I ran into an issue where I did not have enough tuners for the shows I wanted to record, due to the lame way Microsoft does the back to back on the same channel show recording. Since they cut part of one show and put it onto the other, I have all my shows setup to start 4 minutes before and end 10 minutes after (forced, not if available).
Not sure if this would help with your issue, but if you set your recordings to record exactly 10 minutes after (not "when possible"), WMC will assign a different tuner to pick up the next recording. It's a PITA with back-to-back recordings on the same channel, but at least you don't end up with a gap. If you've got a lot going at once, that may not work, but if you've just got one show ending, it should work for you. Unless of course every channel you're recording does that stupid 2-3 minutes over thing (thanks a lot, networks).

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." - Arthur C. Clarke
post #47 of 1203 Old 05-14-2013, 02:51 PM

Liked: 11
How about a bundle deal including the Echo similar to the ones on Amazon with InfiniTV 4? smile.gif
snappjay likes this.
post #48 of 1203 Old 05-14-2013, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Hasn't anyone that ordered yesterday with overnight shipping received and installed theirs yet? Where's the first user review?
post #49 of 1203 Old 05-14-2013, 04:25 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post

Hasn't anyone that ordered yesterday with overnight shipping received and installed theirs yet? Where's the first user review?
I ordered mine with regular Amazon Prime 2 day shipping. I'm hesitant to actually install it right away though as the process of re-pairing the CableCard from one of my InfiniTV 4 PCIe's could turn into a fiasco.

Has anyone gone through the process of re-pairing a CableCard with Verizon FIOS lately? Should I expect that to be a painful process or do they have their act together well enough to handle it?
post #50 of 1203 Old 05-14-2013, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1059 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Maybe order a new CableCARD and return the old one after you've paired the new tuner?

post #51 of 1203 Old 05-14-2013, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post

I ordered mine with regular Amazon Prime 2 day shipping. I'm hesitant to actually install it right away though as the process of re-pairing the CableCard from one of my InfiniTV 4 PCIe's could turn into a fiasco.

Has anyone gone through the process of re-pairing a CableCard with Verizon FIOS lately? Should I expect that to be a painful process or do they have their act together well enough to handle it?

I did. Their automated lines are pretty good. Just make sure to follow the exact prompts. In my case I swapped for a HDHomeRun and it was pretty much playground and play. If you have a store nearby, I would grab a new card and the deactivate the old after. They have a website that asks a few numbers numbers and presto.

In search of video bliss...
post #52 of 1203 Old 05-14-2013, 08:11 PM

I should have mine by the end of the week. I work for Verizon and the video head end is actually three floors above mine in the building, so I can go up there and beat them soundly if there are problems. smile.gif I am going to try it via the link provided by Ceton and do it myself first.
post #53 of 1203 Old 05-14-2013, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:

I should have mine by the end of the week. I work for Verizon and the video head end is actually three floors above mine in the building, so I can go up there and beat them soundly if there are problems. smile.gif I am going to try it via the link provided by Ceton and do it myself first.

I am going to grab one and move from 7 tuners to 13..just to be crazy. No more worries about losing Monday night back to backers and NBA/NHL playoffs.. Yes tongue.gif

In search of video bliss...
post #54 of 1203 Old 05-14-2013, 09:56 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

I did. Their automated lines are pretty good. Just make sure to follow the exact prompts. In my case I swapped for a HDHomeRun and it was pretty much playground and play. If you have a store nearby, I would grab a new card and the deactivate the old after. They have a website that asks a few numbers numbers and presto.
The closest Verizon FIOS store is about half an hour away, so if I can do it without having to get a new card and deactivate the old one I'd just assume do that. The local stores are open on Saturdays, so I could try re-pairing the existing card first thing in the morning on Saturday and go to the store to pick up a card if they can't get it to work.
post #55 of 1203 Old 05-15-2013, 08:30 AM

My new 6 tuner Ceton is out for delivery today - though I will be gone most of the evening celebrating Shavuot with friends. I will install it tomorrow, most likely.
post #56 of 1203 Old 05-15-2013, 09:26 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

^ Mine should be too. How soon I install it depends on how brave I am at risking the CableCard re-pair in the middle of the week smile.gif.
post #57 of 1203 Old 05-15-2013, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked: 1445
Anybody looking to unload their old InfiniTV 4 USB after upgrading to the 6, please PM me.
post #58 of 1203 Old 05-15-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

^ Mine should be too. How soon I install it depends on how brave I am at risking the CableCard re-pair in the middle of the week smile.gif.
Go for it! biggrin.gif If you have trouble, open a support ticket with us and include a diag, your name, address and phone # on your account - Verizon is pretty good about turning around our pairing requests ASAP.

post #59 of 1203 Old 05-15-2013, 10:21 AM

Should I uninstall the drivers for the current PCIe card first, reboot, then connect the new Ethernet 6 tuner and install the drivers? I do not want it to become confused - though from what I can tell the drivers are the same.

I think I will try it without uninstalling the drivers - it appears to detect the Ceton device each time I open the diagnostics tool, so it should just find the new device and be happy.
post #60 of 1203 Old 05-15-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:

I definitely want to do it during the work week when there are a lot more employees available to take care of issues. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Ceton , Ceton Infinitv 6 Pcie 5205 Dct06in Pcie Six Tuner Card For Watching Digital Cable Tv On The Pc Pci E

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page