Latest Ceton InfiniTV 6 Info Thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #1171 of 1201 Old 11-05-2016, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 487
The glitch is purely Comcast's own creation. A cable tuner like Ceton and HDHR Prime simply extracts transport stream from the digital cable channel and send over to other devices for recording or decode and playback. The tuner could careless about what's inside the transport stream. Nor the DVR recorders (dump the transport stream to disc). But the playback device needs to decode and play the video back. Looks like Comcast created some weird H.264 protected transport stream that is only compatible with their own cable boxes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1201 Old 11-05-2016, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
The glitch is purely Comcast's own creation. A cable tuner like Ceton and HDHR Prime simply extracts transport stream from the digital cable channel and send over to other devices for recording or decode and playback. The tuner could careless about what's inside the transport stream. Nor the DVR recorders (dump the transport stream to disc). But the playback device needs to decode and play the video back. Looks like Comcast created some weird H.264 protected transport stream that is only compatible with their own cable boxes.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. There are threads and posts all over TIVo Community Forum about it.

TiVo and Comcast had to get together, discover the culprit and create a fix.
post #1173 of 1201 Old 11-14-2016, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. There are threads and posts all over TIVo Community Forum about it.

TiVo and Comcast had to get together, discover the culprit and create a fix.
Well, while I was away for a week, Comcast obviously moved to MP4 on some or all of my premiums. I have at least a couple that are no signal, at least one with sound only. My sense is that before I get a video card (now Intel HD 2000 Chip only), I should:
A. Reboot the PC, B. Have Comcast send signal refresh, C. Be sure I have the latest driver updates for the HD 2000 chip and maybe D. Allow Comcast a few weeks to sort out any errors they may have made that others may be complaining about.

What think, guys?

Assassin HTPC + Echo, Sony 49XBR850, McIntosh MX151, MC202, MC7104, MS300, B+W 803D2, CWM's, Janus 1W Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1174 of 1201 Old 11-14-2016, 07:57 PM

I don't think a few weeks will do any good. Others have complained for almost a year now IIRC
post #1175 of 1201 Old 11-15-2016, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have no doubt you are right, but figured it costs nothing to try. I have also found out that, contrary to what I stated in an earlier post, Comcast supplied me with a Cisco (SA) cable card which some say is at the heart of the problem.

I will see if they can give me a Motorola card, but I am not sure if they would use both types within one system.

Assuming I have to bite the bullet on a card, can anyone recommend a decent one that will not create issues like slow channel changes, handshake issues etc.?

Assassin HTPC + Echo, Sony 49XBR850, McIntosh MX151, MC202, MC7104, MS300, B+W 803D2, CWM's, Janus 1W Sub
post #1176 of 1201 Old 11-15-2016, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp View Post
I have no doubt you are right, but figured it costs nothing to try. I have also found out that, contrary to what I stated in an earlier post, Comcast supplied me with a Cisco (SA) cable card which some say is at the heart of the problem.

I will see if they can give me a Motorola card, but I am not sure if they would use both types within one system.

Assuming I have to bite the bullet on a card, can anyone recommend a decent one that will not create issues like slow channel changes, handshake issues etc.?

If they gave you a Cisco cablecard then that means they're using a Scientific Atlanta/Cisco headend and therefore a Motorola/Arris cablecard will not work, nor do you any good.
post #1177 of 1201 Old 11-15-2016, 04:55 PM

What he said ^

Don't blame Cisco CableCard for Comcast's problem. I have been using my Cisco CableCard from Cox since HDHR Prime first released (long time ago). Never had any problem and no issue with H.264 copy-protected channels either.

The brand of CableCard must match what equipment used in your local cable plant.

Motorola card has totally different activation procedure (require extra data ID).
Dave Harper likes this.
post #1178 of 1201 Old 11-16-2016, 05:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks, guys. I was sort of afraid of that. I also expected not to be able to get these channels on the Echo but I did not expect the issue on the HTPC itself which is what I am seeing. As noted, sound only. I will get a Comcast refresh this weekend (no time before that) and check to see I have the latest driver in my Intel IG Chip, but if those all fail, it is time for a video card right? I do not fear that or its cost but wil be PO'ed if that does not solve the issue so if there is anything I have forgotten, would certainly welcome your input. Again, thanks to you guys!

post #1179 of 1201 Old 11-16-2016, 07:05 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1890 Post(s)
Liked: 2283
^ Is it confirmed that Windows Media Center supports the new MP4 video format? That strikes me as the most likely problem here. Is it only premium channels that are flagged Copy Once that are using MP4 video? If not and you have some samples that aren't Copy Once that also give you no video, try playing them in another program such as VLC. This will help confirm if WMC is the issue or not.
post #1180 of 1201 Old 11-16-2016, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
^ Is it confirmed that Windows Media Center supports the new MP4 video format? That strikes me as the most likely problem here. Is it only premium channels that are flagged Copy Once that are using MP4 video? If not and you have some samples that aren't Copy Once that also give you no video, try playing them in another program such as VLC. This will help confirm if WMC is the issue or not.
There is a long thread here: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/...hp?f=30&t=9635.
h.264 is included in mp4, right?
My own experience with Comcast is they announced Spring '16 that they were changing over and then announced again for Fall '16. They finally did change over and I can view all the channels on my PC with WMC which has an ATI/AMD Radeon HD 7570 video card. On my XBOX 360 extender, I get audio but not video for live H.264 content with Copy Once protection but I can watch H.264 with Copy Free. I tried watching recorded H.264 Copy Once protected video on the xbox and I was able to get some video frames but it was still unwatchable.
post #1181 of 1201 Old 11-16-2016, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea3 View Post
There is a long thread here: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/...hp?f=30&t=9635.
h.264 is included in mp4, right?
My own experience with Comcast is they announced Spring '16 that they were changing over and then announced again for Fall '16. They finally did change over and I can view all the channels on my PC with WMC which has an ATI/AMD Radeon HD 7570 video card. On my XBOX 360 extender, I get audio but not video for live H.264 content with Copy Once protection but I can watch H.264 with Copy Free. I tried watching recorded H.264 Copy Once protected video on the xbox and I was able to get some video frames but it was still unwatchable.

For me the extender not playing the premiums is something I can live with, but the damn HTPC is not playing them either and that is the rub.

post #1182 of 1201 Old 11-16-2016, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
For me the extender not playing the premiums is something I can live with, but the damn HTPC is not playing them either and that is the rub.
I found a nice summary about the problem: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/...09&f=6#p107409

1. Mpeg4 h.264 DRM Premium channels do not work with a Ceton Echo WMC extender
2. Mpeg4 h.264 DRM Premium channels do not work with a XBOX 360 WMC Extender
3. Mpeg4 h.264 DRM Premium channels do not work with some intel onboard graphics WMC computers

I would add that I have not heard of it working with any intel onboard graphics. I think a video card that works with the protected content is an option for some but not all systems can accommodate an add-on video card.
post #1183 of 1201 Old 11-16-2016, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea3 View Post
I found a nice summary about the problem: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/...09&f=6#p107409

1. Mpeg4 h.264 DRM Premium channels do not work with a Ceton Echo WMC extender
2. Mpeg4 h.264 DRM Premium channels do not work with a XBOX 360 WMC Extender
3. Mpeg4 h.264 DRM Premium channels do not work with some intel onboard graphics WMC computers

I would add that I have not heard of it working with any intel onboard graphics. I think a video card that works with the protected content is an option for some but not all systems can accommodate an add-on video card.

I have read about your 1,2, and 3 and think you are bscially right. Regarding 3, there seems to be mixed experiences and lots of questions as to "why" since Intel's specs state they can play the h.264 ok.May be a DRM issue. It costs me nothing to update my driver and maybe the playready before I get a card, which happily I have space for in my PC. Also a signal refresh from Commiecast is simple.

post #1184 of 1201 Old 11-17-2016, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well last night was interesting. I did have some time when the system was not going to be used for live TV, so I called Comcast for a refresh on the automated system. When I verified my house number and selected TV issue as topic, I got a recording that stated there were system outages in my area and they would be fixed by 9:45 PM. It asked if I wanted a phone call when work completed and I said "yes". No call ever came. What I do see is missing guide info from many of the HD channels. STD all there, networks all there, but the "true cable" I guess you call it is all missing ("No Data Available" Message). From this I surmise Comcast is having trouble in my town, maybe they are finally working to upgrade (our system is labeled as non-rebuild.)

Then I got curious about whether they really have gone to MPEG4 or not so I tuned in Channel 1910 HBO HD, got the sound only and tried to analyse using 411, CTRL,D. I got the debug screen but the tuner went to channel 411 (reggae music!) and all I got was the info for that. Anyone know how I can fix that issue? I clicked the damn keyboard as fast as I could.

Net of all this is I think it best to wait until Comcast settles things down before I run out willy-nilly and install a graphics card. I did hear back promptly from Ceton who stated that Intel's IG chips cannot decode encrypted MPEG4 (I guess unencrypted they do ok).

post #1185 of 1201 Old 02-08-2017, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Anyone know if the Ceton MyMediaCenter application will return to the Windows 10 store? It was there for a while and I rebuilt my computer in the meantime. Now, the application is no longer there for my PCs. Controlling my Media Center from a guide on my Surface Pro 3 has been great. Now, I am stuck with the phone version until I get a new phone.

Would like my Windows 10 application back. Not sure why they removed it from the store.
post #1186 of 1201 Old 02-09-2017, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kressilac View Post
Anyone know if the Ceton MyMediaCenter application will return to the Windows 10 store? It was there for a while and I rebuilt my computer in the meantime. Now, the application is no longer there for my PCs. Controlling my Media Center from a guide on my Surface Pro 3 has been great. Now, I am stuck with the phone version until I get a new phone.

Would like my Windows 10 application back. Not sure why they removed it from the store.
Ceton is dead and gone. I doubt the app is coming back
post #1187 of 1201 Old 02-09-2017, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1754 Post(s)
Liked: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc05 View Post
Ceton is dead and gone. I doubt the app is coming back
Google is culling the Play Store so I wouldn't be surprised to see it disappear from there as well.

post #1188 of 1201 Old 02-09-2017, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Was originally a Ceton user. Abandon in favor of Tivo. If there's a better whole home cablecard system than Tivo, I'd be shocked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1189 of 1201 Old 11-08-2018, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question still using Ceton - any help out there ?

ok so.. I am still using Ceton tuners. Its not by choice - I want to buy the SD HD Homerun Prime 6 but right now its still vaporware (really praying it is not).
My history. I have a win 8.1 WMC machine I've been running... forever. I have Fios using a cable card. I did have a Ceton Infinitv 4 PCIE tuner. It worked fine for years but starting failing, I was never really able to identify which of the 4tuners (or perhaps 2) that were dying but since January I've been holding out for SD. Finally got fed up of waiting and needed to do something so I bought on Ebay a Ceton Infinitv Ethernet 6. Why not, right? 6 tuners wooo..
sigh.. pixilation on a few of the tuners is absolutely killing me (and my wife is NONE TO PLEASED either....)
I'm running the last firmware that was/is available (does anyone have those files to share so I can try other versions of firmware???) and I see signal levels on most channels from 4.1 to 5.6. I have one channel that is 3.6 and one that is 1.2. From what I have read I need that between 4-6 to have good recordings.
Now, the cable that connects to my Ceton is almost direct from the Fios box outside. It has ONE Verizon splitter (to split out to the Verizon modem). There is a low pass filter inline on the coax to the Ceton.

What I am doing to try to fix this. I ordered a different splitter (figuring Verizon might just use crap.) and will install that today. I have also ordered the upgrade to 100mb internet. Not that I need the faster speed but this will entail them doing that ethernet run from the box outside for data inside (and then I can get rid of their router woohoo) and the coax coming in will solely be for the tv signal.
I also found these tweaks I'm going to try
For pixellation especially when using/recording multiple tuners:
● Disable windows network throttling in registry
And disable these network adapter driver settings:
● IPv4 Checksum Offload - Disable
● Large Send Offload (IPv4) - Disable
● TCP Checksum Offload (IPv4) - Disable
● UDP Checksum Offload (IPv4) - Disable

I've never made those tweaks before because I didn't have this issue. I'm also going to change out ethernet cables between my switch and my wmc pc. I am ALSO considering buying a NEW switch. I'll connect the Infinitv box and my existing switch to that switch and then that switch to my pc. The thought being that maybe that older switch (its like a year old) which has every port used might be adding to the problem. If I introduce a new switch which only has traffic to the WMC from one port, and the Infinitv on another port...maybe it might decrease congestion (if there is any).
ONe other thought I've had, and to be honest I just can't remember right now, is if my mobo on my WMC machine has two ethernet ports. I know one mobo I had in there at one point did have two. I might have replaced that mobo.

That's where I am and where I've been.
Does anyone have any useful suggestions?
thanks for your time.

John

Last edited by sorahl; 11-08-2018 at 06:49 AM. Reason: add in lowpass filter
post #1190 of 1201 Old 11-08-2018, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2238 Post(s)
Liked: 2458
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorahl View Post
Ask the FiOS guy for a low-pass filter. If he has one on the truck put it on the coax going into the Ceton tuner. It helped a lot with my InfiniTV4.

It should look similar to this:

post #1191 of 1201 Old 11-08-2018, 06:48 AM

my apologies I do have a low passfilter in line between the coax and the infinitv… sorry should have said that
post #1192 of 1201 Old 11-12-2018, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
ok so.. I am still using Ceton tuners. Its not by choice - I want to buy the SD HD Homerun Prime 6 but right now its still vaporware (really praying it is not).
My history. I have a win 8.1 WMC machine I've been running... forever. I have Fios using a cable card. I did have a Ceton Infinitv 4 PCIE tuner. It worked fine for years but starting failing, I was never really able to identify which of the 4tuners (or perhaps 2) that were dying but since January I've been holding out for SD. Finally got fed up of waiting and needed to do something so I bought on Ebay a Ceton Infinitv Ethernet 6. Why not, right? 6 tuners wooo..
sigh.. pixilation on a few of the tuners is absolutely killing me (and my wife is NONE TO PLEASED either....)
I'm running the last firmware that was/is available (does anyone have those files to share so I can try other versions of firmware???) and I see signal levels on most channels from 4.1 to 5.6. I have one channel that is 3.6 and one that is 1.2. From what I have read I need that between 4-6 to have good recordings.
Now, the cable that connects to my Ceton is almost direct from the Fios box outside. It has ONE Verizon splitter (to split out to the Verizon modem). There is a low pass filter inline on the coax to the Ceton.

What I am doing to try to fix this. I ordered a different splitter (figuring Verizon might just use crap.) and will install that today. I have also ordered the upgrade to 100mb internet. Not that I need the faster speed but this will entail them doing that ethernet run from the box outside for data inside (and then I can get rid of their router woohoo) and the coax coming in will solely be for the tv signal.
I also found these tweaks I'm going to try
For pixellation especially when using/recording multiple tuners:
● Disable windows network throttling in registry
And disable these network adapter driver settings:
● IPv4 Checksum Offload - Disable
● Large Send Offload (IPv4) - Disable
● TCP Checksum Offload (IPv4) - Disable
● UDP Checksum Offload (IPv4) - Disable

I've never made those tweaks before because I didn't have this issue. I'm also going to change out ethernet cables between my switch and my wmc pc. I am ALSO considering buying a NEW switch. I'll connect the Infinitv box and my existing switch to that switch and then that switch to my pc. The thought being that maybe that older switch (its like a year old) which has every port used might be adding to the problem. If I introduce a new switch which only has traffic to the WMC from one port, and the Infinitv on another port...maybe it might decrease congestion (if there is any).
ONe other thought I've had, and to be honest I just can't remember right now, is if my mobo on my WMC machine has two ethernet ports. I know one mobo I had in there at one point did have two. I might have replaced that mobo.

That's where I am and where I've been.
thanks for your time.

John

Hi John!
I haven't been on this site in a while, but still have notifications for this thread.

I'll try to keep this short...
I started a long time ago with the infinitv 4-tuner pcie. Let me just tell you. The experience was horrible over the years. I work in IT, build computers, do some coding, and currently a systems engineer. I'm not saying I'm a genius, but if I constantly struggled, I'm sure many others have. After a few years of the 4-tuner pcie, and struggling to make it work, I eventually bought a house and moved, and after struggling there, I decided the card was probably the culprit. I bought the ETH 6-tuner external version and ditched PCIe altogether.

The first few months of the ETH 6-tuner were PHENOMENAL!! I thought I was golden, but the problems started again, between "no signal", weak signal, pixelation and the like. I eventually bought filters to put in-line. I bought a few of them, of varying resistances, and combo-ed them up to give me the right ratings on the tuners... just have to toy with them. This helped a lot, and I thought I was ok, but I still would occassionally have issues of not finding tuners, etc.

I eventually got sick and tired of Ceton. I cannot tell you how many things I've tried -- sick of talking about it, but I'm posting b/c I want you to know one thing...
AFTER YEARS of Ceton, I bailed and went with HD HR Prime. I got the 3-tuner, but let me tell you -- it's been great!! I realized that I didn't need more than 3 tuners. It's been plenty for my home (I only one one child, so I guess that helps). But... it seems to juggle the tuners perfectly, even though I have about 5 different setups that use tuners. I never have more than 2 TVs on at the same time anyway, and only one machine does the recording of shows.

I also got sick of hacking WMC to get it to work on Windows 10, so I'm back on Windows 7 on any machine that I watch TV on.
post #1193 of 1201 Old 11-13-2018, 06:58 AM

probably heading that way

thank you so much for responding. I will probably end up going the same route, but I am still holding out hope for their new HD Prime 6. Right now it seems to be so much vaporware but may eventually.
I looked at ebay and it seems like the HD HR 3 CC is going for $100. I'll buy one if I have to.
I have had a marked improvement since making the adapter changes I detailed, and the removal of the throttling in the registry. It is not perfect... I still got a blue screen on the NCIS LA recording for low signal but I am not getting the horribly disruptive pixilation.
I still have the new splitter to install if needed but I also upgraded my fios internet connection to 100mb. That means they will run an ethernet to me for data, and I can use the rg6 solely, no splitter, for tv. I plan on getting them to run new rg6 as well, as the rg6 I have there right now is now over 20 years old.
I also have taken a computer case fan and wired it to a plug to run right out of the outlet. I'll tape this to the ethernet box to keep the temp low.
I appreciate you sharing your experience, i'm a Sr Network Engineer and been building my own pc's since dirt was invented so i'm no noob to this. My experience with the PCIE was really good for most the time I had it. I've been on FIOS since 2011 so it worked 6 plus years without issues..until this last april or so.
sometimes I think none of this is worth it... AND then I remember how bad the FIOS (and every other) interface is, and look back at our tv library dating back 7 years.

Cheers,

John
post #1194 of 1201 Old 11-13-2018, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
thank you so much for responding. I will probably end up going the same route, but I am still holding out hope for their new HD Prime 6. Right now it seems to be so much vaporware but may eventually.
I looked at ebay and it seems like the HD HR 3 CC is going for $100. I'll buy one if I have to.
I have had a marked improvement since making the adapter changes I detailed, and the removal of the throttling in the registry. It is not perfect... I still got a blue screen on the NCIS LA recording for low signal but I am not getting the horribly disruptive pixilation.
I still have the new splitter to install if needed but I also upgraded my fios internet connection to 100mb. That means they will run an ethernet to me for data, and I can use the rg6 solely, no splitter, for tv. I plan on getting them to run new rg6 as well, as the rg6 I have there right now is now over 20 years old.
I also have taken a computer case fan and wired it to a plug to run right out of the outlet. I'll tape this to the ethernet box to keep the temp low.
I appreciate you sharing your experience, i'm a Sr Network Engineer and been building my own pc's since dirt was invented so i'm no noob to this. My experience with the PCIE was really good for most the time I had it. I've been on FIOS since 2011 so it worked 6 plus years without issues..until this last april or so.
sometimes I think none of this is worth it... AND then I remember how bad the FIOS (and every other) interface is, and look back at our tv library dating back 7 years.

Cheers,

John
John,
My pleasure, bud. I went through such hardship that I just cannot leave this thread. I like (well, feel bad) hearing about feedback.
I bypassed FIOS's router the first day I got it. I hacked my own router and spoofed the mac address of their router and never used theirs. I too went from one split to NO SPLIT, and I added the filters in-line. It helped, but it was NEVER 100% working for months at a time. I always had to toy with it, and honestly I've probably spent 50-100 hours diagnosing, fixing, and dealing with the headaches. There's too many to list.

The FIOS interface seems to be better than it used to be when I use it at my brothers' or parent's places.

I'm not sure I could ever get HD HR Prime working with WMC on Windows 10. I definitely had the Ceton working on Win10, but not sure if I got HD HR Prime working on it.
I went back to Windows 7 (I'd actually done this a couple of times, but the last time I did I've stayed on win7) and it worked near flawless with the HD HR Prime.

Honestly, you could buy two of the 3-tuner versions -- all it's gonna cost you is the additional rental of the TV card, and I SWEAR if I needed more tuners I could care less spending that extra $5-6/month instead of dealing with Ceton again.

Also, I hacked a DC adapter and soldered it to a PC fan, and then zip-tied it to the Ceton ETH 6-tuner, kinda like how you explained. That definitely took care of the overheating and helped with my experience... but again, the experience was never perfect for a long period of time. I eventually lost my mind and got rid of it.

I wonder how long I can go on Windows 7 and WMC -- what does the future hold for us?
Are any of you using Win10 with HD HR Prime and have no issues? I haven't tried the latest WMC hack on Windows 10. It's broken right now on my primary desktop (don't need TV on my primary desktop, but would be nice to get it back).
post #1195 of 1201 Old 11-14-2018, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 418
I've been on FIOS ever since it was first introduced in my area. I switched from Windows XP and BeyondTV to Windows 7 and WMC strictly so I could use the Ceton InfiniTV 4. I purchased my first one literally within seconds of receiving notification that they would be available. I am not usually an early adopter of new technology, but I was more than happy to shell out my $399 plus shipping to get a cablecard tuner capable of recording DRM content. I have since purchased two additional InfiniTV 4's, all of which I eventually sold on ebay, and now I am using an InfiniTV 6. I have never had any trouble with any of them other than some initial growing pains and the discovery that I needed the low pass filter to use it with FIOS. All of my InfiniTV tuners have been PCI-e versions.

HTPCs in general can either be a blessing or a curse. You can set one up that is completely trouble-free or have one that requires constant tweaking just to make it functional. I went through a lot of growing pains with HTPCs and I've built quite a few of them over the years. I have gotten to where they are extremely reliable and stable. I have used more types of tuners that I can count for both cable and OTA. I currently have an InfiniTV 6, a SD HDHR Prime, and two SD HDHR Connect Quatro tuners. The two Quatros and the InfiniTV 6 are used exclusively by my primary HTPC for recording chores. The HDHR Prime is used to feed live TV to satellite HTPCs (Intel NUCs) connected to other TVs in the house. I have issues with the Prime tuners not being available on occasion that requires me to reset them. The HDHR Prime has been more problematic than any of my Cetons so I just wanted you to hear it from both sides. It's kinda the luck of the draw with these beasts. They either work great or they can cause you a lot of headaches.
post #1196 of 1201 Old 11-15-2018, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
I've been on FIOS ever since it was first introduced in my area. I switched from Windows XP and BeyondTV to Windows 7 and WMC strictly so I could use the Ceton InfiniTV 4. I purchased my first one literally within seconds of receiving notification that they would be available. I am not usually an early adopter of new technology, but I was more than happy to shell out my $399 plus shipping to get a cablecard tuner capable of recording DRM content. I have since purchased two additional InfiniTV 4's, all of which I eventually sold on ebay, and now I am using an InfiniTV 6. I have never had any trouble with any of them other than some initial growing pains and the discovery that I needed the low pass filter to use it with FIOS. All of my InfiniTV tuners have been PCI-e versions.

HTPCs in general can either be a blessing or a curse. You can set one up that is completely trouble-free or have one that requires constant tweaking just to make it functional. I went through a lot of growing pains with HTPCs and I've built quite a few of them over the years. I have gotten to where they are extremely reliable and stable. I have used more types of tuners that I can count for both cable and OTA. I currently have an InfiniTV 6, a SD HDHR Prime, and two SD HDHR Connect Quatro tuners. The two Quatros and the InfiniTV 6 are used exclusively by my primary HTPC for recording chores. The HDHR Prime is used to feed live TV to satellite HTPCs (Intel NUCs) connected to other TVs in the house. I have issues with the Prime tuners not being available on occasion that requires me to reset them. The HDHR Prime has been more problematic than any of my Cetons so I just wanted you to hear it from both sides. It's kinda the luck of the draw with these beasts. They either work great or they can cause you a lot of headaches.
I had the opposite experience, started with the Ceton which is collecting dust in a dead PC in the garage. And then went to the SD Prime, they all had their quirks but the Ceton was probably worse. those were the early days though so I hope all those kinks are mostly worked out.

I agree with you though man HTPC's can be great but when they are fussy what a pain.
post #1197 of 1201 Old 11-15-2018, 09:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
I had the opposite experience, started with the Ceton which is collecting dust in a dead PC in the garage. And then went to the SD Prime, they all had their quirks but the Ceton was probably worse. those were the early days though so I hope all those kinks are mostly worked out.

I agree with you though man HTPC's can be great but when they are fussy what a pain.
Sometimes putting together a stable HTPC is like black magic. It just takes the right blend of ingredients so that all of the hardware and software play nice together. I installed Windows 7 so many times on my earlier HTPCs that I could no longer activate it anymore, even though I was using a legitimate license that I purchased. I was dead in the water until I tried a bootleg pre-activated copy of Windows that I downloaded via magical means. Now, I'm not condoning the use of software you didn't legally purchase, but Microsoft was no longer letting me activate software that I bought and I wasn't about to buy another license. The irony is that the bootleg copy was the most stable setup I have used to date. I can't explain why, but there it is. I used to update it frequently, but after a while I just stopped updating it and it still works great.

I can't really explain why some setups work and some don't. It sucks that you had problems with your Ceton tuner, but all of mine have worked flawlessly. OTOH, I had nothing but problems with the Ceton Echo WMC extenders. Lots of other people had great results with them, but I could never get mine to behave properly. If you can get the InfiniTV tuners working properly, they are great and work exactly as advertised. If not, then chances are you just don't have as setup that's harmonious with the tuners. Sometimes you just have to experiment until you find out what works for you. I've been extremely fortunate in that every hardware setup I have configured as an HTPC have always been stable. I have probably rebuilt my main HTPC at least 4 or 5 times since I first got into HTPCs and the Cetons have worked every time. I understand that me saying that my setup works won't fix the problems you've experienced. If something doesn't work after extensive corrective measures then it's probably time to move onto something else.
post #1198 of 1201 Old 11-16-2018, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
Sometimes putting together a stable HTPC is like black magic. It just takes the right blend of ingredients so that all of the hardware and software play nice together. I installed Windows 7 so many times on my earlier HTPCs that I could no longer activate it anymore, even though I was using a legitimate license that I purchased. I was dead in the water until I tried a bootleg pre-activated copy of Windows that I downloaded via magical means. Now, I'm not condoning the use of software you didn't legally purchase, but Microsoft was no longer letting me activate software that I bought and I wasn't about to buy another license. The irony is that the bootleg copy was the most stable setup I have used to date. I can't explain why, but there it is. I used to update it frequently, but after a while I just stopped updating it and it still works great.

I can't really explain why some setups work and some don't. It sucks that you had problems with your Ceton tuner, but all of mine have worked flawlessly. OTOH, I had nothing but problems with the Ceton Echo WMC extenders. Lots of other people had great results with them, but I could never get mine to behave properly. If you can get the InfiniTV tuners working properly, they are great and work exactly as advertised. If not, then chances are you just don't have as setup that's harmonious with the tuners. Sometimes you just have to experiment until you find out what works for you. I've been extremely fortunate in that every hardware setup I have configured as an HTPC have always been stable. I have probably rebuilt my main HTPC at least 4 or 5 times since I first got into HTPCs and the Cetons have worked every time. I understand that me saying that my setup works won't fix the problems you've experienced. If something doesn't work after extensive corrective measures then it's probably time to move onto something else.
I had awful issues with my first Ceton Inf4 (USB Version), but all went away when I switched to the Ceton PciE6 version. Rock solid now for many, many years in the HTPC I got from Assassin in 2011. Have an Echo extender that has also been fine. Bought a spare of both the Echo and PCie6 for the day that one of these finally fails. It's Comcast that makes me unhappy (non rebuild small town system) with their over- compression, shrunk picture, reduced HD channels (vs. bigger towns/cities), but I think you folks already know all that..........

Last edited by sgbroimp; 11-16-2018 at 12:57 PM.
post #1199 of 1201 Old 11-16-2018, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
I had awful issues with my first Ceton Inf4 (USB Version), but all went away when I switched to the Ceton PciE6 version. Rock solid now for many, many years in the HTPC I got from Assassin in 2011. Have an Echo extender that has also been fine. Bought a spare of both the Echo and PCie6 for the day that one of these finally fails. It's Comcast that makes me unhappy (non rebuild small town system) with their over- compression, shrunk picture, reduced HD channels (vs. bigger towns/cities), but I doubt I think you folks already know all that..........
Oh wow Assassin HTPC's. I remember those days.
post #1200 of 1201 Old 11-16-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
I had awful issues with my first Ceton Inf4 (USB Version), but all went away when I switched to the Ceton PciE6 version. Rock solid now for many, many years in the HTPC I got from Assassin in 2011. Have an Echo extender that has also been fine. Bought a spare of both the Echo and PCie6 for the day that one of these finally fails. It's Comcast that makes me unhappy (non rebuild small town system) with their over- compression, shrunk picture, reduced HD channels (vs. bigger towns/cities), but I think you folks already know all that..........
I have two Ceton Echos used with Verizon FIOS and both exhibit same issues on DRM channels: lost of audio and random reboots. For lost of audio, I have to tune to a different channel that has different format (720p vs 1080i) than the DRM channel to get it back. As for reboot, there is nothing I can do but wait. Two Echos connect to two different TVs with the same issue on DRM channels. Never had these issues with my 3 XBox 360s

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Ceton , Ceton Infinitv 6 Pcie 5205 Dct06in Pcie Six Tuner Card For Watching Digital Cable Tv On The Pc Pci E

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page