Please help me build my first HTPC - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 49 Old 03-03-2014, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post

Almost done buying the components for this build... have a few more questions to come.  Here is one:

Do I buy the OEM version or retail version of the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250?  It looks like the retail version comes with a remote and a few other things that I am unfamiliar with.  Is it worth the extra cost?

OEM = $89
Retail = $114

$25 for a remote?  

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116036

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116037

Actually it would be the remote plus two IR Blasters per the product description.

So the answer (I guess) depends on what you were planning to do for a remote.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 03-03-2014, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley165 View Post

Actually it would be the remote plus two IR Blasters per the product description.

So the answer (I guess) depends on what you were planning to do for a remote.

What are IR Blasters?  

I actually haven't even thought about a remote.  I was thinking of getting the wireless Logitech keyboard (K400 I think).  

Now that I think of it though it would be nice to be able to have a remote.  I really want to boot directly into WMC and it would be cool to be able to turn the HTPC on via remote.  

post #33 of 49 Old 03-03-2014, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

The IR Blaster is the "Receiver" for an Infrared Remote.
You will need an IR Blaster if you use an IR Remote.

The K400 is an RF (Radio Frequency) Keyboard, and will theoretically be fine, but it's far from an Ideal solution for controlling your media player.

I have the K400 for my HTPC, and I don't think I've used it in the last 6 months, maybe more.

I use a Lenovo Multimedia Remote(5902A), for when I need keyboard functions, otherwise I use a Harmony 650.

Before the H650, I was using a $13 Rosewill remote, and I still use the Rosewill IR blaster receiver for the Harmony.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 49 Old 03-03-2014, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The IR Blaster is the "Receiver" for an Infrared Remote.
You will need an IR Blaster if you use an IR Remote.

The K400 is an RF (Radio Frequency) Keyboard, and will theoretically be fine, but it's far from an Ideal solution for controlling your media player.

I have the K400 for my HTPC, and I don't think I've used it in the last 6 months, maybe more.

I use a Lenovo Multimedia Remote(5902A), for when I need keyboard functions, otherwise I use a Harmony 650.

Before the H650, I was using a $13 Rosewill remote, and I still use the Rosewill IR blaster for the Harmony.

Ok this is helpful thanks.  So if I buy the retail version of the tuner than I will get a remote and IR blaster.  If I were to buy a Harmony remote (which I assume would be packed with better features?) than I would have to also buy an IR blaster as well?  Which IR blaster would suffice with the Harmony?  

Does the Harmony allow you to turn on the HTPC?  

post #35 of 49 Old 03-03-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
You are confusing IR blasters and receivers. Blasters send IR to any cable boxes you might want Media Center to control. If you have no cable boxes to control, you don't need blasters. A receiver, on the other hand, picks up signals from a remote (universal or otherwise) to control your PC. You need one of these no matter what, if you want to control your PC with an IR remote of any kind.

Realize that the tuner you picked only works with an antenna and with analog and clear QAM cable. You'll get the same channels your TV gets if you plug coax directly into, bypassing any cable boxes. It won't get everything you subscribe to, i.e., everything your cable box gets. My cable company has zero analog and clear QAM. Most other companies will probably follow suit sooner than later. If you want to watch and record every channel you subscribe to, you must get a cable card tuner.

Many IR remotes will sleep/wake your PC, but virtually none will turn it on if it is completely powered off. For that you need more hardware. I recommend you don't do that, as there is really no benefit over sleep/wake.

As long as you get a remote, any Harmony (or any learning universal) will work with any IR receiver.
wiley165 likes this.
post #36 of 49 Old 03-03-2014, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Right don't confuse the "IR Blaster' with the receiver. I bought a full-up retail package, since the price wasn't that different and wanted the flexibility of all options. I'm not that knowledgeable on the remotes, but typically what you want is one called "MCE remote" or "RC6 remote", along with a compatible receiver. On the Haupaugge, the receiver is built into the tuner card. Note that out of the box, the Haupaugge remote is set up for its own software. The software install includes a utility to reprogram the receiver for WMC. The key is that it has to show up in Windows device manager as an "eHome" remote. The receiver has the ability to "wake on PCIe". There is also an "MCE keyboard" possibility in Windows (not part of the Haupaugge), and I guess a Harmony remote can also emulate this in addition to emulating the RC6 remote.

scott s.
wiley165 likes this.

Sony XBR-65A1E
post #37 of 49 Old 03-03-2014, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Whoa that's a lot of info on just remotes.  I do intend to "cut the cord" in regards to cable TV.  I'm installing a UHF antenna middle of next week.  I want to record some of the OTA shows hence the reason I'll purchase the TV tuner.

Ok I'm assuming that the remote which comes with the Hauppauge tuner will suffice for the time being?  Also, it comes with the IR receiver so that will take care of that issue for the time being as well as long as I buy the retail version.

This is going to be an educational experience... I'd almost say I'm doing tooooo much!  

post #38 of 49 Old 03-03-2014, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

I apologize, I was in a rush. Both mdavej and scott967 are correct in that the IR blaster is just a repeater, and not a receiver.

(I guess that happens when in a rush - just wasn't thinking straight)

The K400 will be fine for Keyboard/Mouse capabilities, but if needed look into a cheap remote the the Rosewill ones from NewEgg.
They frequently go on sale for about $12-$15 bucks, and are worth it. They're not half bad, and at the very least, you get an IR receiver out of it that you can use with a Harmony should you get one down the line.

I won't speak to the bundled remote that comes with the Hauppauge, as I am not familiar with it 1st hand.

post #39 of 49 Old 03-03-2014, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I apologize, I was in a rush. Both mdavej and scott967 are correct in that the IR blaster is just a repeater, and not a receiver.

(I guess that happens when in a rush - just wasn't thinking straight)

The K400 will be fine for Keyboard/Mouse capabilities, but if needed look into a cheap remote the the Rosewill ones from NewEgg.
They frequently go on sale for about $12-$15 bucks, and are worth it. They're not half bad, and at the very least, you get an IR receiver out of it that you can use with a Harmony should you get one down the line.

I won't speak to the bundled remote that comes with the Hauppauge, as I am not familiar with it 1st hand.

Ok will do... I'll see what the remote is like that comes with the retail version of the tuner first than I may snag the harmony if I see that the price is right.

post #40 of 49 Old 03-03-2014, 09:23 PM

I've had a Hauppauge with the bundled remote in the past. It works fine. Something like Harmony simply gives you control of more than just your PC. I personally use a JP1 universal remote that costs $3. It controls the 3 devices I need to control in each bedroom and does "activity" macros like Harmony to do power and input switching with a single button press for movies, tv, etc. So you don't necessarily have to spend $50-$250 on a Harmony remote to get the all the functionality you need. In your case, the remote would cost nearly as much as the device you are trying to control.
post #41 of 49 Old 03-08-2014, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I've had a Hauppauge with the bundled remote in the past. It works fine. Something like Harmony simply gives you control of more than just your PC. I personally use a JP1 universal remote that costs $3. It controls the 3 devices I need to control in each bedroom and does "activity" macros like Harmony to do power and input switching with a single button press for movies, tv, etc. So you don't necessarily have to spend $50-$250 on a Harmony remote to get the all the functionality you need. In your case, the remote would cost nearly as much as the device you are trying to control.

I decided to purchase the remaining parts today and ordered the Hauppauge OEM version (no remote) and a Harmony 650.  Now what do I need as far as making the harmony work with the HTPC?  An IR receiver correct?  

post #42 of 49 Old 03-08-2014, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Yup, a USB IR Receiver. You can get a standalone receiver off ebay or amazon (Search for USB IR Receiver). There's one by HP that is popular.

But I found it cheaper to get a Rosewill Remote from NewEgg that comes with a receiver. You also get a backup remote that's pretty decent. Frequently they go on sale for as little as $11.

The Rosewill can be had with two types of recievers:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880101002

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880101008

and this kind:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880101007

post #43 of 49 Old 03-09-2014, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Whoa
Quote:

Yup, a USB IR Receiver. You can get a standalone receiver off ebay or amazon (Search for USB IR Receiver). There's one by HP that is popular.

But I found it cheaper to get a Rosewill Remote from NewEgg that comes with a receiver. You also get a backup remote that's pretty decent. Frequently they go on sale for as little as $11.

The Rosewill can be had with two types of recievers:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880101002

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880101008

and this kind:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880101007
Whoa those are some options... They seem like they're all the same to me.

What is a "learning" remote/function?

I like the idea of the Harmony, so I think getting a cheap Roswell is a good idea for the time being.

Out of those 3 that you linked, which one would you get? I'll be doing OTA in WMC, BD movies, and Netflix.
post #44 of 49 Old 03-10-2014, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

If you're going to be using Netflix, the RRC-126 has the Netflix function.

Personally I have the older RHRC-10011.

I believe the "Learning" function is that it can be programmed to control other devices for basic operation, I would assume the same functionality as other A/V, TV, and Cable remotes, but without the more 'in depth' control you would get from a Harmony. I've never bothered with the learning function on the Rosewill, as the default setup did everything I needed it to do within W7-WMC.

You may find that the Rosewill is enough, and possibly skip the Harmony, at least for the time being. Or, at least allow you to hold out until you find a good deal on one.

Edit:
BTW, the RRC-126 is available on NewEgg Shell Shocker today for $13.99 "Available from 6:00PM - 11:59PM PT 03/10/2014"
http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?nm_mc=EMC-SD032014&cm_mmc=EMC-SD032014-_-SD031014-_-item-_-80-101-002&et_cid=5903&et_rid=159314

post #45 of 49 Old 03-10-2014, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

BTW, You mentioned earlier that you were going to be using Win8. Have you thought this through, specifically that Win8 does not come with WMC by default?
Quote:
Ok very good information. I might keep my cable box since I'm using Windows 8 and am not really interested in spending the extra for WMC.
Quote:
Out of those 3 that you linked, which one would you get? I'll be doing OTA in WMC, BD movies, and Netflix.

Edit:
Nevermind:
Quote:
I think I'll buy Windows 8.1 pro pack. Just gonna bite the bullet.

post #46 of 49 Old 03-11-2014, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

BTW, You mentioned earlier that you were going to be using Win8. Have you thought this through, specifically that Win8 does not come with WMC by default?

Edit:
Nevermind:

Yeah unfortunately I already bought it (fortunately that I got a $20 off coupon on Newegg).  Anyhow, everything came in the mail except the remote.  I am still kind of on the fence with the remote for some reason... I don't think I could utilize the added function of the RRC-126 having Netflix capabilities.  I can't seem to find any information on whether the issues with Netflix's plugin not working in 8.1 WMC have been resolved.  I guess I will find out in the coming days.  Also, if the WMC version of Netflix doesn't support Dolby + than I'll just stick with 8.1's app on the start screen.  It supports Dolby + and it sounds amazing on my 5.1 system.  

Anyhow, I appreciate everyones help on this voyage.  I certainly will post pictures (I decided to go with the Antec Solo II due to a lack of cabinet space... I think it'll look good though considering it's a desktop case).  

Final specs to be built tomorrow:

-Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit and Cyberlink PowerDVD 13 Ultra

-Antec Solo II... not on sale :( 

-Intel i5-4440 (on sale!)

-Seasonic G-750 (on sale!)

-Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 tuner (OEM brown box)

-1TB Western Digital Red

-250 GB Samsung Evo SSD

-Asus Z-87 A (really good deal)

-LG BD drive (WH14NS40)... bought this when it was on sale a few months ago for $45.

-G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 SDRAM 2400

-Logitech K800 (I opted for this over the Logitech's that have a mouse pad because this keyboard is lighted)

-Going to use my wireless Logitech laptop mouse for the time being.  I intend to game so I'll be looking at gaming mice also.

There are a few other things that I did along the way.  I cut Comcast TV and purchased a Winegard HD7698P antenna for free OTA HDTV.  I ran a scan the other day and was able to pick up 46 digital channels.  Also I gave Comcast back their modem and grabbed the Motorola SB6141 with a Netgear Nighthawk router.  The router came with a $100 off coupon for the Ooma free phone service (which works great BTW) so I was able to get rid of Comcast phone service also.  

This has been quite an adventure... I took on this HTPC project at the same time I overhauled my theater system as well.  It's been a long couple of months of my living room being in disarray.  I am looking forward to the next few days at getting the rest of the project buttoned up.  Anyhow, this has been an enjoyable learning experience with minimal headaches and a few bumps along the way (accidentally fried a voice coil in a new speaker yesterday).

post #47 of 49 Old 03-15-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:

If you're going to be using Netflix, the RRC-126 has the Netflix function.
Edit:
BTW, the RRC-126 is available on NewEgg Shell Shocker today for $13.99... (03/10/2014)
Thanks for the heads up on the Shell Shocker. Mine just arrived. I like it a lot better than my old Ortek (I'm only using the dongle, not the remote. I'll use the remote with an Echo that's missing a remote at the moment). The Netflix function is kind of strange. You basically run a piece of software that intercepts the Green button, then you configure it to either launch Media Center or Netflix. I didn't bother trying it out. But what I do like about MCE better than Ortek is the expanded set of functions and the more correct behavior of Play, Info and skip.
post #48 of 49 Old 03-17-2014, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

He guys... everything went smooth with the build.  I'm enjoying the show's now.  I use OTA television and provided a pic as to how smooth WMC is running for me.  I did the TV channel logos that Assassin recommended.  It only was able to put a logo on the local channels though... there are some channels that I am getting that aren't in my broadcast area (I have a powerful antenna apparently) that the logos didn't populate on and the guide is not populating on those channels either.  You can kind of tell from the picture that only the local channels have guide info.  

Any help would be appreciated.

post #49 of 49 Old 04-01-2014, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quick question.  I have my HTPC connected via HDMI to my AVR.  The Netflix app via Windows 8.1's app store is incredible.  It allows Dolby Digital Plus to be decoded by my AVR.  This is not the case with the Netflix plugin inside of WMC.  It is only PCM (which is only two channel stereo... my AVR wont even let me select mult-channel stereo when it is receiving a PCM signal).  I'm assuming there is no way to remedy this?  It's ok if I have to just use the Netflix App via the app screen.  

What is particularly bothering me though is that I am unable to get Dolby Digital for Amazon Instant Videos.  I haven't been able to find an app for Amazon Instant Videos in the Microsoft app store (seriously ridiculous).  Also, playing a movie via the browser does not allow for DD as well.  I cannot figure out how to get the free prime videos on the Unbox player to try and see if the unbox player will allow DD.  Any suggestions?  I'd like DD when using my HTPC for more than just Netflix.  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page