Suggestions for Desktop PC as HTPC - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-21-2014, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello everyone, Few years ago we bought this desktop for our kids,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229185

To play video games,do home work,etc. We also added 4 TB more of storage. Today, the PC sees very little action; we use the laptop and tablets mostly at home.

So, the idea it's to use this desktop as HTPC,if possible. Already have XBMC on it and it's connected to the TV with HDMI cable.

The problems that We'd love to get rid of:

- The office room (where this PC it's now) it's 10' away from the TV,so I have small hole trough the wall to pass the cable.

- Every time We want to play a video and watch it on the living room,someone has to go to the PC room select the file, make sure it's in fullscreen, disconnect the speakers and monitor from the PC, so we can see and hear the video.

- Once the video it's finish,we need to plug everything back just in case someone needs to use the PC. So, my questions are: - Can I use this PC as is and use it as HTPC in my living room? - What extra hardware do I need to make it wireless? Besides the keyboard and mouse.

- Do I still need Windows OS in it? I won't use it to surf the web. Any other idea or suggestions are more than welcome.

Sorry if this questions are a bit dumb for you guys,but I'm getting started into this idea and don't know much about it, other than I love the wireless streaming. Thanks in advance.

** The PC specs in case you don't want to visit that site:

Quote:

General Spec

Brand

CyberpowerPC

Model

Gamer Xtreme 1067LQ

Type

Gaming & Entertainment

Processor

Intel Core i7-930(2.80GHz)

Processor Main Features

64 bit Quad-Core Processor

Memory

12GB DDR3 1600

Hard Drive

2TB (1 x 2TB) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 7200RPM HDD

Optical Drive 1

24X DVD±R/±RW Dual Layer Drive

Graphics

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB PCI-Express Video Card

Audio

Sound card - Integrated

Ethernet

10/100/1000 Mbps

Power Supply

800W

Keyboard

Xtreme Gear USB Keyboard

Mouse

Xtreme Gear USB Mouse

Operating System

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Special Features

Coolermaster Storm Sniper Gaming Case
Asetek 120mm Liquid Cooling System

Motherboard

Chipset

Intel X58

CPU

CPU Type

Intel Core i7

Installed Qty

CPU Speed

930 (2.8GHz)

CPU Socket Type

LGA 1366

CPU Main Features

64 bit Quad-Core Processor

Graphics

GPU/VGA Type

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470

Graphics Interface

PCI Express 2.0 x16

Memory

Memory Capacity

12GB DDR3

Memory Speed

DDR3 1600

Form Factor

DIMM 240-pin

Memory Spec

2GB x 6

Memory Slot (Total)

Memory Slot (Available)

Hard Drive

HDD Capacity

2TB

HDD Interface

SATA II

HDD RPM

7200rpm

HDD Spec

1 x 2TB

Optical Drive

Optical Drive Type

DVD±RW

Optical Drive Spec

24X DVD±R/±RW Dual Layer Drive

Audio

Audio Chipset

Integrated

Communications

LAN Chipset

Integrated

LAN Speed

10/100/1000Mbps

Front Panel Ports

Front USB

Back Panel Ports

PS/2

Rear USB

Rear IEEE 1394

eSATA

RJ45

1 port

S/P DIF

1 x Optical S/PDIF Out
1 x Coaxial S/PDIF Out

Expansion

PCI Slots (Available/Total)

3 x PCI-Express x16
2 x PCI

Mouse

Mouse Type

USB Mouse

Keyboard

Keyboard Type

USB Keyboard

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-21-2014, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2996 Post(s)
Liked: 1344
What exactly does this HTPC do? If you only want to stream video files, you don't even need a PC for that.

And if you run XBMC already, why not get any one of many small cheap android devices as an XBMC client? A $35 Raspberry Pi, among many others, works fine. I see no reason to connect your PC directly to your TV at all. No keyboard/mouse is required, no running to the other room to connect/disconnect anything.
GATO13 likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-21-2014, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 19
That hardware is kind of over-kill for an HTPC but certainly works. Why do you have to disconnect speakers and monitor? You should be able to setup XBMC to send the video and audio to the right place. Likewise you can use Openelec or Ubuntu, but since you already have a Win7 license on it why bother? I would leave it where it is and if you have an android device (phone or tab) use the free Yatse app to control XBMC on the existing computer where it is.

scott s.
GATO13 likes this.

Sony XBR-65A1E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-21-2014, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I agree with Scott967. You already have the gear and its in place with holes drilled to connect it to the TV, use what you have. Ignore the suggestions to get yet another device, you have clearly stated you are trying to repurpose this unit. Since you stated you use tablets already get yatse to control XBMC. I'm not familiar with Yatse so I don't know all of its features, but if you need to access content outside of XBMC there are other mouse/keyboard apps that you can use on tablets as well. This way you can forget about having to go into the other room or purchasing wireless accessories. Your tablets will become your wireless interface and if your family is already using them this will be the logical fit for them. Some details on your tablets would help with suggestions.

As far as audio and video, keep it simple, you said you are a noob at this stuff right? If you want to repurpose this unit then commit to it now. Hook it up to the TV and leave it, don't try and mess with multiple audio/video outputs in XBMC, because you will be the only one in your family that understands. If you setup multiple outputs its because you are expecting somebody to be using this as a PC still. You will hear complaints from the rest of the family if you set it up for multiple outputs because they won't understand it like you do.

Once you have it setup, working and your family is using it you will know more about your specific wants and needs. I have found that my family uses tech I setup for them much differently than I intended. I can bend over backwards and lose a lot of hair getting something to work for them and they never use it.
GATO13 likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-22-2014, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott967 View Post

That hardware is kind of over-kill for an HTPC but certainly works. Why do you have to disconnect speakers and monitor? You should be able to setup XBMC to send the video and audio to the right place. Likewise you can use Openelec or Ubuntu, but since you already have a Win7 license on it why bother? I would leave it where it is and if you have an android device (phone or tab) use the free Yatse app to control XBMC on the existing computer where it is.

scott s.

We have to disconnect the speakers and monitor, otherwise can't see/hear nothing on the TV.

I'll look into the Yatse app and start "playing" with it to see how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyborg View Post

I agree with Scott967. You already have the gear and its in place with holes drilled to connect it to the TV, use what you have. Ignore the suggestions to get yet another device, you have clearly stated you are trying to repurpose this unit. Since you stated you use tablets already get yatse to control XBMC. I'm not familiar with Yatse so I don't know all of its features, but if you need to access content outside of XBMC there are other mouse/keyboard apps that you can use on tablets as well. This way you can forget about having to go into the other room or purchasing wireless accessories. Your tablets will become your wireless interface and if your family is already using them this will be the logical fit for them. Some details on your tablets would help with suggestions.

As far as audio and video, keep it simple, you said you are a noob at this stuff right? If you want to repurpose this unit then commit to it now. Hook it up to the TV and leave it, don't try and mess with multiple audio/video outputs in XBMC, because you will be the only one in your family that understands. If you setup multiple outputs its because you are expecting somebody to be using this as a PC still. You will hear complaints from the rest of the family if you set it up for multiple outputs because they won't understand it like you do.

Once you have it setup, working and your family is using it you will know more about your specific wants and needs. I have found that my family uses tech I setup for them much differently than I intended. I can bend over backwards and lose a lot of hair getting something to work for them and they never use it.

You're correct and I'm not planning on doing anything crazy. Just the TV and the soundbar that came with it and works good. (LG brand both)

Thank You guys for the great replies.

By the way, I found a topic with the TV that we own .

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1442157/official-lg-47ls4500-55ls4500-owners-thread

47"

In case it has something to do with this project....

Thanks again fellas. :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page