CableCARD vs "copy once" -- why only WMC? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 61 Old 12-25-2018, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by winb83 View Post
It's amazing reading this years later as the problem still hasn't been solved. There was someone willing to solve it and began the process and basically ran into a loop of rules that's put in place to prevent anybody that isn't some massive company like Microsoft or Amazon from solving the issue.

The compliance with cablecards by the industry is almost token at best. In reality they do what they can to see that a solution that's open to consumers doesn't exist.

It seems like SlilconDust has been trying for a very long time to solve this issue and they still don't have a solution nor an eta for one.

My HTPC has been stuck at Windows 8.1 for a while and I can't upgrade it because I'll lose access to my copy protected recordings. I already lost them once when I switched to a new motherboard with the same chipset from a different manufacturer and Windows basically threw a tantrum and I got locked out of all my recordings.

It's ridiculous that such hardware changes lock you out of what you've recorded. I guess the issue is the way I watch TV is dying. Your own ability to record and watch the shows that air on the cable you pay for is going to either be moved into the cable company's cloud or will be removed entirely and you'll have to stream on demand when they say you can. I mean we're all on borrowed time here. Our HTPCs won't last forever nor will these TiVo boxes and when the hardware fails we'll lose years of recordings.

You'll only lose those recordings if they're copy protected. Otherwise, they can simply be moved to another PC or stored on a server. There are ways that can be used to acquire recordings that can be played on any platform. I record copy protected shows all the time and usually delete them after I watch them. If it's something I want to archive and view at a later date then I'll get a copy through other means and keep it on my server. I never use my HTPC for long term storage. I know that technically it may be illegal, but I look at it this way. If I can record a show from a cable channel that I'm paying to access and I decide to keep that recording indefinitely then it shouldn't be illegal for me to acquire a non-copy protected version for my personal use if I decide to store it on a device other that the one it was recorded on as long as I'm not sharing the recording with anyone or distributing it. I haven't circumvented any copy protection by doing that. It's being done by someone else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page