Slowly the Bugs Have Become Intolerable - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-25-2014, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't know where to begin. I need a place to start sorting out all the bugs that have accumulated over the last couple of years. I've been living with many of them but it's become almost unwatchable now.

Media Center runs through the receiver as HDMI on the Onkyo DVD channel, Roku as the VCR/DVR. All controlled with the Harmony 1. All was working perfectly at first then slowly things started going wrong.

First I couldn't get Media Center to come on, I got the no signal message, until it seemed to warm up a bit then I hit start and it would come on. So we lived with that. Other things too were wacky like when it came on the sound was off.

Roku, however, always worked if I switched the receiver to VCR/DVR. Now Roku doesn't even come on until I fool around with various buttons on the remote,TV and receiver. I'm not even sure what I do but after several minutes it pops up.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific but nothing I do to get things running seems to be consistent.

My only guess is maybe it's the Harmony 1 that has gotten the commands out of whack? Other than that maybe I should unplug it all and start over again setting all the components up and programming the remote.

My equipment is:
HTPC with MS7 Media Center
Onkyo HDMI receiver
Roku 3
Samsung HDMI capable TV
Harmony 1 remote

Any help as to where I should start would really be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-25-2014, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 27
First suggestion is to eliminate the Onkyo AVR and connect directly to your TV. Do these problems still exist with your HTPC or Roku?

Have you tried using the actual remote for the Roku and a keyboard/mouse for the HTPC to control them?

Are your drivers up to date for the HTPC? Windows current with updates?

Is the Roku firmware up to date?

Get back to us with some answers so we can help you cont. to troubleshoot.

Toys

Denon AVR-3311CI, Denon DVP-602CI, B&K Reference 200.7 S2, Belkin PF60
Sony BDP-S5000ES, Silverstone HTPC (6 Tuner DVR & 10 TB Media)
PSB Stratus Minis, PSB Stratus C6, PSB Alpha S surround, James Subwoofer EMB-1200
Sharp LC-70LE755U, Harmony 880 Remote
post #3 of 5 Old 02-26-2014, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I would definitely start by eliminating the avr... They seem to get in the way of the HDMI handshake. I can't speak to why it would degrade over time assuming nothing changed e.g. firmware updates

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-27-2014, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Try updating the firmware on your Harmony One if there's an update available. Then, update the remote with the settings you have configured via the Harmony software. Make sure your battery is fully charged. Open the battery compartment to see if it has swollen, wich is a common problem with H1's and older batteries. If it has it will need to be replaced, which may require disassembly of the remote to get it out if it's stuck. Google "Harmony One Disassembly" and you should fine at least one YouTube video to show you how to do it. There may even be a tutorial on ebay, IIRC.

Of course, there's the obvious things like checking your cables for bad connections, swapping out cables to make sure you don't have a bad one, etc. Try other inputs on the Onkyo to make sure that's not the issue. Make sure all of your devices can see the H1 signal.

I'm not sure why you even need a Roku if you're using a HTPC. Everything a Roku can do can be done on your HTPC. You could be having some HDCP issues, but I can't say for sure.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-01-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Which Onkyo model is it? The ones before 2012 are notorious for their failing HDMI boards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Roku 3 Streaming Player With Motion Remote

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page