So what is the reason for XBMC/PLEX vs just using WMC? - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 31Likes

post #91 of 99 Old 07-08-2014, 12:56 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 698
@Dark_Slayer , Once again, thanks for taking the time and effort to elaborate how much you don't care.

Also, thanks for jumping in and replying to remarks that weren't in response to you, nor directed at you. (on the topic which you once again claim you care so little about)

And finally, thanks for disregarding the questions that were directed specifically to you.

My point has already been made, and you were kind enough to help reinforce it for me. (thanks again btw) Regardless of what playback software you choose (WMC, XBMC, MPC-HC, VLC, PDVD, XPQZ3) there is no guarantee that you will view source content properly, if it was encoded or flagged wrong. You choose to call it a feature on the software that you use and promote, and a bug on the software you don't.

For the record, I completely agree that it would be great if MS had included a means to change the default behavior (as a general preference, or on the fly, either one) but no matter how many "features" you add to deal with broken content, the problem in these scenarios is the content itself, not how the software deals with it. I can "break" an encoded video a hundred different ways, and I guarantee you that WMC, XBMC, etc won't deal with all of them gracefully. That's not a knock on any of the software. It's just the nature of any complicated system. A certain level of input accuracy is required for everything to work properly. Start with garbage and you're going to end with garbage.

And finally, you're wrong about the progressive flag in XBMC. If it didn't ignore the flag, then it would behave exactly like WMC does. But as you're so fond of pointing out... it doesn't. Instead of using the progressive flag, it does frame analysis. If it obeyed the flag there would be no need for frame analysis. Just because the analysis agrees with the flag, doesn't mean it's obeying the flag. If I tell you to write some lame reply in response to this post and you do it, it doesn't mean you're obeying me. You're acting on your own free will. You were going to write a lame reply to this anyway. The fact that I told you to do so is merely a coincidence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 99 Old 07-08-2014, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2725
Ajhieb it's sad you often make some good points because the manner in which you make your points is what makes other people want to reject them. You kill more bees with honey sometimes.
post #93 of 99 Old 07-08-2014, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Ajhieb it's sad you often make some good points because the manner in which you make your points is what makes other people want to reject them. You kill more bees with honey sometimes.
It's sad that you occasionally make a good point because it almost always gets lost in your hyperbole, myopic perspective, or broad sweeping condescending insults. At least I have the courtesy to directly address the people with whom I take issue. You choose to insult entire groups of people with your overzealous posts proclaiming if they don't do it your way, they're weak, foolish, inferior, or whatever else it is that you want to lob out there to try and justify your own purchase or methodology.

But I'll be sure to take your comments under advisement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 99 Old 07-08-2014, 11:54 AM

I am just saying you could be nicer about stuff sometimes. Two wrongs don't make a right either so anything I do doesn't make what you do ok or not (If in fact I do anything). They are not at all related; what I do is not related to what you do and has no bearing on it's correctness or incorrectness.

Please don't over react. I just trying to help you. Just be a little nicer in how you say stuff and your points would be better received. You can accuse me of whatever you wish but I can say with genuine sincerity that I do try to be nice to people, especially when speaking to them directly.
post #95 of 99 Old 07-08-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Take the personal stuff offline or you will be removed from the thread.

Edit: And everyone, please start treating people with a little more respect.

Thanks,

K
Mfusick likes this.

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Ash - Army of Darkness
post #96 of 99 Old 07-08-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 156
When does a work around become a feature? A rhetorical question. but it goes to the heart of these kind of questions.

Sony 85X900f, - Samsung 78" JS8600 Ascend Sierra 2s, Radiance XS, Martin Logan Motion 40s
post #97 of 99 Old 07-08-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post
When does a work around become a feature? A rhetorical question. but it goes to the heart of these kind of questions.
What came first the chicken or the egg ?

EDIT: actually that is a bad example because the egg came first. And it's been proven and explained. First on the basic idea that eggs have existed for millions of years before chickens did (dinasours, other birds, fish etc ) but even beyond that some clever dude explained it.

post #98 of 99 Old 01-05-2015, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post
incorrect.

Windows Media Center can certainly play ANYTHING that plex or xbmc can play including fully bitstreamed (or decoded) DTS-HD MA or TrueHD audio with selectable subtitles and/or audio tracks.
well it doesnt do switchable SRT subs without recoding the video, and even when i tried without the subs most of my content had to be transcoded, not the case with plex.
post #99 of 99 Old 01-05-2015, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
In a non technical answer directed at not tech savy end user, PLEX plays most of all without complicated configuration or codec installing, while WMC does not out of the box without installing third party codecs, reencoding your sources (losing some quality in the process) and taking many minutes (or ours) of your time, for a result not as pleasent, and if you happen to use subtitles (srt specially) then you are out of luck without reencoding in any wmc extender that its not a PC itself (xbox comes to my mind)

get a roku or an amazon fire stick or even an android phone with plex installed and plugged to your tv, and you have a great deal of functionality and eye candy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page