Best remote control app for PC audio? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #31 of 36 Old 08-02-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
For audio only, besides Foobar2000, it might be worth having a look at running Logitech Media Server on the PC, and controlling this via applications such as one of the many Android or iOS apps (ipeng, etc.)

LMS works very well (it can work in a mixed, multizone environment with compatible apps/player and hardware such as a Squeezebox radio...), supports sleep, WOL, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 08-05-2014, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiffel View Post
For audio only, besides Foobar2000, it might be worth having a look at running Logitech Media Server on the PC, and controlling this via applications such as one of the many Android or iOS apps (ipeng, etc.)

LMS works very well (it can work in a mixed, multizone environment with compatible apps/player and hardware such as a Squeezebox radio...), supports sleep, WOL, etc.
Q; are the remotes mentioned in this post different than a VNC app?
post #33 of 36 Old 08-05-2014, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post
I use Windows Media Center on my HTPC for audio playback. If I just want to listen to music I need to turn my television on and navigate to the appropriate album/playlist/etc.

I know there are a few mobile apps that will act as a remote control to select and start music without the tv being on. Does anyone have recommendations? Something that could use my Windows based music library and play it with WMP/WMC would be best, but I'm not entirely opposed to having a small footprint piece of software on my computer to act as the server/player.

I have Plex server (but not the front end) installed on my PC and phone. Can that be utilized without installing Plex Home Theater?
I was just looking through the Android app store and came across "Media Center Control". It apparently works without having to have your TV on. Small footprint on the client PC and it handles TV, Movies, Recorded TV, etc... Might be worth a look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 36 Old 08-05-2014, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerall View Post
Q; are the remotes mentioned in this post different than a VNC app?

I'm not sure I fully follow your question, but both LMS (Logitech Media Server) and Foobar can be accessed by dedicated applications in iOS or Android (see https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oller&hl=en_GB for an example).

LMS can also be accessed by any web browser or via any Squeezebox device (or compatible device), which isn't relying on Microsoft technology at all.
post #35 of 36 Old 01-10-2020, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Does anyone have a current opinion on this? I'm looking to use the PC as a music source to feed my Nuvo whole home audio system with Android phone as the remote.
post #36 of 36 Old 01-11-2020, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2313 Post(s)
Liked: 2629
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDStauff View Post
Does anyone have a current opinion on this? I'm looking to use the PC as a music source to feed my Nuvo whole home audio system with Android phone as the remote.
Use the Nuvo app?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page