Next version to be Windows 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 35Likes
Closed Thread

post #1 of 157 Old 09-30-2014, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Next version to be Windows 10

Microsoft is skipping Windows 9 and going right to Windows 10:

http://preview.msn.com/en-us/news/te...ows/ar-BB6Chcy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 157 Old 09-30-2014, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
Microsoft is skipping Windows 9 and going right to Windows 10:

http://preview.msn.com/en-us/news/te...ows/ar-BB6Chcy
I don't care what it's called. If they continue to try and force a smartphone UI onto my PC, I'm not interested. (rumor is that the Start Menu will once again be an option so that's a step in the right direction if true)
Phrehdd and blackcat6 like this.
post #3 of 157 Old 09-30-2014, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
i have been using 8.1 for about a month now after resisting. i did modify the start screen to make it like a full screen start menu. however i still have my quick launch bar at the bottom so hardly need to go in there. i resisted installing start8 or classic shell to give it a chance. i must say, i have been fine with it. not much different then 7 anymore for me as far as getting to the things i need quick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 157 Old 09-30-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
I don't care what it's called. If they continue to try and force a smartphone UI onto my PC, I'm not interested. (rumor is that the Start Menu will once again be an option so that's a step in the right direction if true)
I think they finally found the right balance (this should have been done in Win 8/8.1):

cardoski likes this.
post #5 of 157 Old 09-30-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post
I think they finally found the right balance (this should have been done in Win 8/8.1):
Yeah, that will go a long way towards making it more tolerable to me. I still think a lot of the UI changes are ugly as sin, but I can live with useful & ugly. I thought the eye candy finally reached a nice level in Windows 7, and then with Win 8 it took a giant leap backwards, which I think again is part of the smartphone interface bleeding over into the PC world. I don't mind a "simple" UI on my phone, but on my PC, I think it's inexcusable to have a UI that looks like it is made of squares of construction paper as part of some preschool art project.
post #6 of 157 Old 09-30-2014, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Yeah, that will go a long way towards making it more tolerable to me. I still think a lot of the UI changes are ugly as sin, but I can live with useful & ugly. I thought the eye candy finally reached a nice level in Windows 7, and then with Win 8 it took a giant leap backwards, which I think again is part of the smartphone interface bleeding over into the PC world. I don't mind a "simple" UI on my phone, but on my PC, I think it's inexcusable to have a UI that looks like it is made of squares of construction paper as part of some preschool art project.
Well, XP was criticized for having a 'Fisher-Price' look and feel; and look how people learned to love that. It's the OS that just won't die, 13 years later, lol.

It's all subjective. I like the flatter look. I just hate how MS never fully finishes their aesthetic overhauls. In Vista (and 7), when Aero came along - you could still find XP-era UI elements/icons. Same on 8 with regard to Aero elements.
ajhieb likes this.

Last edited by staknhalo; 09-30-2014 at 12:36 PM.
post #7 of 157 Old 09-30-2014, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I think the biggest roadblock for Windows 8 was the fact that it was such a wide departure from any previous version of Windows. Every other version prior to Win 8 carried over at least a partial familiarity with the previous OS so the learning curve wasn't quite so steep. There were always new features and methods that needed to be learned, but at least you could jump right in and start using it with minimal effort. Windows 8 left previous Windows users completely bewildered and frustrated unless they saw some sort of tutorial or introduction to the new layout.

I bought a copy of Win 8 Pro the day it was released for only $40. I installed it on a spare PC and my first reaction was WTF is this? I had no idea where anything was or how to access it. It took me a while before I could even figure out how to shut it down, let alone find anything. To this day my Win 8 PC sits relatively unused and rarely gets booted up. I just haven't found the time or felt it was worth the effort to get familiar with it.

It can be the most stable operating system on the planet, but that means absolutely nothing if people aren't willing to use it. The marketing department at Microsoft failed miserably with this product. It was clearly designed by software engineers to be the OS they wanted and not what the average user would want.

One can only hope that Microsoft learned from their mistake and will come out with something more familiar and easier to navigate than this horror show.
ajhieb likes this.
post #8 of 157 Old 09-30-2014, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 29
New/Updated WMC included? LOL - no matter how improbable, one can wish...
post #9 of 157 Old 09-30-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNate View Post
WMC is hanging out with Bob and Clippy

You can resize the Start Menu apparently:

http://www.neowin.net/news/start-men...sting-behavior

Last edited by staknhalo; 09-30-2014 at 12:54 PM.
post #10 of 157 Old 09-30-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staknhalo View Post
Well, XP was criticized for having a 'Fisher-Price' look and feel; and look how people learned to love that. It's the OS that just won't die, 13 years later, lol.

It's all subjective. I like the flatter look. I just hate how MS never fully finishes their aesthetic overhauls. In Vista (and 7), when Aero came along - you could still find XP-era UI elements/icons. Same on 8 with regard to Aero elements.
Yeah, I recognize my preferences as far as the aesthetics are just personal. I certainly don't begrudge those that like the flattened look. I just wish that like all their previous OSes you were given a choice between the old and new look. Sure people didn't like the Fisher Price/Puffypaint interface of XP (I was one of them) but at least in XP you had the option to revert back to the older 9x/2000 style elements. With Vista and Win7 you could disable Aero if that wasn't your thing. Heck, I'm pretty sure up through XP you could still switch your shell to progman.exe if you preferred the 3.1 experience. Point being that while moving forward they still gave you options in the past. Since Win8 it's been "Here is the new look, if you don't like it go **** yourself." which is an attitude I don't really appreciate from a software vendor. Having worked with dev teams in the past, I understand that sometimes that's the way it has to be, but from a technology and development standpoint I don't really see why forcing a shell and various UI elements has to fall under that category.

I guess part of that falls on our shoulders as consumers, as many of us demand a certain level of change when we buy an "upgrade" the most obvious and often the easiest to change is the UI. Its hard to sell the typical user on the benefits of an improved, more secure kernel, a database driven, journaled file system, or the ability of individual programs to access more than 4GB of system memory, but open up "calc.exe" and show them how much prettier the buttons on the calculator look, and they can't wait to buy the new upgrade.
javry and tman247 like this.
post #11 of 157 Old 09-30-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
I think the biggest roadblock for Windows 8 was the fact that it was such a wide departure from any previous version of Windows. Every other version prior to Win 8 carried over at least a partial familiarity with the previous OS so the learning curve wasn't quite so steep. There were always new features and methods that needed to be learned, but at least you could jump right in and start using it with minimal effort. Windows 8 left previous Windows users completely bewildered and frustrated unless they saw some sort of tutorial or introduction to the new layout.

I bought a copy of Win 8 Pro the day it was released for only $40. I installed it on a spare PC and my first reaction was WTF is this? I had no idea where anything was or how to access it. It took me a while before I could even figure out how to shut it down, let alone find anything. To this day my Win 8 PC sits relatively unused and rarely gets booted up. I just haven't found the time or felt it was worth the effort to get familiar with it.

It can be the most stable operating system on the planet, but that means absolutely nothing if people aren't willing to use it. The marketing department at Microsoft failed miserably with this product. It was clearly designed by software engineers to be the OS they wanted and not what the average user would want.

One can only hope that Microsoft learned from their mistake and will come out with something more familiar and easier to navigate than this horror show.
That's what really astounded me about Win8. It wasn't just typical home users that had that experience... it was corporate users as well. There was a tremendous number of corporations using XP right up until it was finally EOLed, because it was stable and it was familiar. When the time came to upgrade, most went with Win7 for those same reasons. If the hardware supported it, you could do an inplace upgrade after hours and it have almost no impact on the end user. And while my exposure to Fortune 500 companies is far from comprehensive (around a dozen or so, and several other large corporations not big enough to make the list) I haven't found a single one that is using Windows 8, and the common theme when I ask about it is "end user training." They simply aren't comfortable dropping in an upgrade on users without some training first, and if you have hundreds or thousands of people to train it becomes a time consuming and very expensive process. Not even considering licenses and hardware upgrades, the cost to a medium to large business for an upgrade to Win8 can run well into the millions of dollars when you account for the cost of training the employess, the lost productivity while training is going on, and the inevitable drop of in productivity until they are comfortable with the new software.

Having a "classic" option for Win8 would have made that OS much, much more appealing to MS's corporate customers.

The only Win8 machines I've seen being used by businesses are by small companies (like a dozen or so employees) and they went to Best Buy and bought a new laptop and it had Win8 so that's what they used. It doesn't seem that anyone in the corporate world is using it willingly.
mike_carton likes this.
post #12 of 157 Old 09-30-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Preaching to the choir.
post #13 of 157 Old 09-30-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Will Windows Media Center be available for Win10 via the Microsoft Store?
Will it be configurable for TV with CableCARD?

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #14 of 157 Old 09-30-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I wouldn't hold your breath.
post #15 of 157 Old 09-30-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post
Will Windows Media Center be available for Win10 via the Microsoft Store?
Will it be configurable for TV with CableCARD?
I haven't found anything that says one way or the other. My guess is "no" but I've been wrong before.

Also, Go Cats!
post #16 of 157 Old 09-30-2014, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Anyone heard about any new htpc features?

I've read a few articles but haven't found anything
post #17 of 157 Old 10-01-2014, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNate View Post
Here's what I just posted on the comments section of the Windows 10 blog:

Quote:
Great job! Now add Windows Media Center as a standard, UNIVERSAL app which ALSO has the ability to function as an extender for another instance of WMC. Then, any PC, Tablet, Phone, or Xbox could be either the WMC server, OR the client (extender) to another. That would be a grand slam!
DavidinCT likes this.
post #18 of 157 Old 10-01-2014, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 127
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that upgrades from XP, Win 7 and Win 8.1 will be free.

post #19 of 157 Old 10-01-2014, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Next version to be Windows 10

It looks like the technical preview has WMC after all! probably no improvements but it's still there at least

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/...?t=7938#p80959
ajhieb likes this.
post #20 of 157 Old 10-01-2014, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

That is great news.
post #21 of 157 Old 10-01-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc05 View Post
It looks like the technical preview has WMC after all! probably no improvements but it's still there at least

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/...?t=7938#p80959
While I still wouldn't be surprised if it was removed before RTM, this is the most encouraging bit of WMC news I've seen in quite a while.
post #22 of 157 Old 10-01-2014, 11:55 AM

I'm running the Windows 10 Technical Preview right now and I do not have WMC. Those pics from the Green Button show it as "Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center". Mine says "Windows Technical Preview". The Build number is identical. I wonder if someone is playing a hoax?
post #23 of 157 Old 10-01-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlot View Post
I'm running the Windows 10 Technical Preview right now and I do not have WMC. Those pics from the Green Button show it as "Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center". Mine says "Windows Technical Preview". The Build number is identical. I wonder if someone is playing a hoax?
He said, you have to add it like in Windows 8.x, using a Windows 8.x WMC key. It's not in there by default. I'm doubtful it will be in the RTM/later builds - this is probably just an oversight on MS' part that it can still be added. But, who knows.
post #24 of 157 Old 10-01-2014, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 53
As long as you can customize that new start menu, and remove all the live tile junk, then it might be ok, but I'll reserve judgement until I see it. I think we need to remember, this is the 'enterprise' tech preview, more designed for corporate use, but the fact WMC is still in there, albiet unchanged as far as I can tell, is interesting. Just imagine if MS gave Win10 a little bit of WMC love and overhauled it to make it more 'modern'. I don't like live tiles for normal use, but they're just begging to be used as a media interface (live TV tile, recorded TV tile etc, Movies tile). That would be impressive, and while they're at it, make it work with a remote control as well (we can wish!).
post #25 of 157 Old 10-01-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman247 View Post
As long as you can customize that new start menu, and remove all the live tile junk, then it might be ok, but I'll reserve judgement until I see it. I think we need to remember, this is the 'enterprise' tech preview, more designed for corporate use, but the fact WMC is still in there, albiet unchanged as far as I can tell, is interesting. Just imagine if MS gave Win10 a little bit of WMC love and overhauled it to make it more 'modern'. I don't like live tiles for normal use, but they're just begging to be used as a media interface (live TV tile, recorded TV tile etc, Movies tile). That would be impressive, and while they're at it, make it work with a remote control as well (we can wish!).
The ehome team (the team in charge of/that made WMC) has been disbanded for about 5 years now - that ain't happening.
post #26 of 157 Old 10-01-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
He said, you have to add it like in Windows 8.x, using a Windows 8.x WMC key. It's not in there by default. I'm doubtful it will be in the RTM/later builds - this is probably just an oversight on MS' part that it can still be added. But, who knows.
I noticed that shortly after I posted, but then got busy here at work and forgot to edit.
post #27 of 157 Old 10-01-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Win8 is a Jekyll and Hyde system...it's a lot like running two completely different OSes simultaneously. It doesn't bother me because I never run Metro apps, so the evil side never comes out. Win10 won't change anything for me.
DavidinCT likes this.
post #28 of 157 Old 10-02-2014, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
The ehome team (the team in charge of/that made WMC) has been disbanded for about 5 years now - that ain't happening.
Yeh, I know. Thing is, if MS are really listening to feedback now, and want to appeal to as wide an audience as possible, maybe, just maybe there's a chance. It would also help push the modern UI as well, and believe me, MS will need all the help they can get. Trouble is, I know, realistically, it's unlikely to happen, but you've gotta be positive!

Just remember as well, the team who designed Windows 8 have all been disbanded too. The people working on it now are primarily from the Windows Phone team. Disbandment doesn't necessarily mean then end.
post #29 of 157 Old 10-02-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 158
LOL "Windows 10". Considering Windows "8.1" is really Windows NT 6.3, I wonder if this upcoming "10" will actually be NT 7.0 (making it the real Windows 7) or if it'll just be 6.4
post #30 of 157 Old 10-02-2014, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Different time different world.

I jumped ship (at home) to Mac when Vista came out. At work we opted to stay with XP and for business use, it was set up as Windows Classic. I think the problem with Windows is it needs to be different things to different people. I always wondered why MS marketing never exploited the fact people can have different GUIs to match the way they do things.

Presently, I use Win 7 in a virtual for a couple of applications and I have it set at Windows Classic. I admit I don't like a bunch of "stuff" on my screen. However, I can see where kids who are heavily into social stuff would like the Win 8 approach and then some. While I am not a fan of Gates (for some of his 'ethics' doing business which remain more than suspect), I can say that I am just as critical about OSX.

The problem with being old school ( like myself ), is that we yearn for some things of the past like OS/2. I look forward out of curiosity to see how Windows 10 fairs.

OSX 10.9.5, Win 7 and Ubuntu remain my go to OS's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page