Video editing sofware ... totally confused! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By olyteddy
  • 2 Post By pittsoccer33
  • 1 Post By replayrob
  • 1 Post By peniku8

post #1 of 18 Old 10-06-2014, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Video editing sofware ... totally confused!

OK, so I ready several threads and still don't see a simple answer.

I have a number of files ( such as from youtube and a few old home movies taken from vcr tapes ), that downloaded in parts ( part 1 of 4, part 2 of 4, .....).

They are in formats such as mpg, mp4, avi, flv,....

All I want to do is join these together into one file ( I understand there may be a limit that mpg files can only join with mpg files ... that is ok ... I am guessing there is programs that will convert them first to the same format, do not have to happen in the same program, most of the ones I want to join are of the same format).

I tried downloading two "free" programs.

Both were full of malware ..... one was so bad I had to reload my computer, took over everything!

Is there a decent free program that I can download, not full of spyware and malware, that will split and joining video files?

I have found dozens but when I read the views, I get confused. How can one person say it is a great program and another say don't download it because it is full of malware ???

Thanks so much ...... Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-07-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Windows platform; Microsoft Movie Maker.
Apple; iMovie.

If you need to convert clips:
Hamster Free Video Converter or choose one here: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...eo-converters/
post #3 of 18 Old 10-07-2014, 09:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 945
AVIDeMux.
SuperFist likes this.

🔥🔥🔥 Sent from my Samsung Note 7 Using Ove Glove™ 🔥🔥🔥
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 12-18-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 435
I use MKV Merge for this. Its free and pretty intuitive. I used it for films like Lord of the Rings, where the movie is split onto two discs.

Drop your first segement in, then click "append" and open your next segment. The output will be whatever video and audio codecs were in your original files, and the container will be MKV.

If you need to convert segments into the same codecs/sizes/framerates/etc then you can run them thru Handbrake first. It's kind of the defacto standard in freeware video conversion.
ajhieb and SuperFist like this.

My basement media room and bar
Epson 2030, Onkyo TX-NR626, and Kodi based system

Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #5 of 18 Old 12-18-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1586 Post(s)
Liked: 1893
Another vote for freeware Avidemux...
http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	428969  

"we're still here!" "no days off" "yada, yada yada..."
post #6 of 18 Old 12-18-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 17
May I piggy back here?

I have an old Canon Optura 20 minidv video recorder and some tapes I made at a couple of family weddings, and I didn't succeed in my project to create DVD's for folks. I did rip (in real time) via firewire to giant AVI files, but wanted to do some pretty simple editing, get rid of some passages, probably add a few still images to flash for ~2-5 seconds on occasion, then rip to DVDs and pass out to family members. I had problems with the programs I was trying to use, which came on CDs or DVDs with hardware I bought, tagging along. I was hopeful, but somehow those programs gave me problems. I haven't visited this project in around 10 years, but those folks are still married and I'd like to provide them with DVDs of their weddings. They had pros do videos for them, but mine would be a whole different take on things.

The HDs that had the AVI rips may have died, I have to figure that out, but I still have the camera and tapes and could do the rips all over again and work from there.
post #7 of 18 Old 12-18-2014, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan View Post
Windows platform; Microsoft Movie Maker.
Apple; iMovie.

If you need to convert clips:
Hamster Free Video Converter or choose one here: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...eo-converters/
Microsoft movie maker is probably your easiest answer for windows. And it's free and works just like office 2007+ with the title bars. It will take almost any movie file you can throw at it and will spit out what you want. If you have files you can't import there are lots of video converters including Handbrake and my favorite for simplicity WinFF
post #8 of 18 Old 12-19-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post
May I piggy back here?

I have an old Canon Optura 20 minidv video recorder and some tapes I made at a couple of family weddings, and I didn't succeed in my project to create DVD's for folks. I did rip (in real time) via firewire to giant AVI files, but wanted to do some pretty simple editing, get rid of some passages, probably add a few still images to flash for ~2-5 seconds on occasion, then rip to DVDs and pass out to family members. I had problems with the programs I was trying to use, which came on CDs or DVDs with hardware I bought, tagging along. I was hopeful, but somehow those programs gave me problems. I haven't visited this project in around 10 years, but those folks are still married and I'd like to provide them with DVDs of their weddings. They had pros do videos for them, but mine would be a whole different take on things.

The HDs that had the AVI rips may have died, I have to figure that out, but I still have the camera and tapes and could do the rips all over again and work from there.
If you're asking which editing program to use- try the freeware one I listed in post 5.

If you're looking for a DVD maker after you've edited... try Windows Movie Maker.
Muse likes this.

post #9 of 18 Old 12-19-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
If you're asking which editing program to use- try the freeware one I listed in post 5.

If you're looking for a DVD maker after you've edited... try Windows Movie Maker.
Thank you! I just downloaded Avidemux.
I like you, replayrob...
post #10 of 18 Old 12-19-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post
Thank you! I just downloaded Avidemux.
I like you, replayrob...
... yeah, free is good!

post #11 of 18 Old 01-08-2020, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 445
I've been using VideoReDo for over a decade. They just released a new version of their TV Suite software. It's easy to use and works with just about every type of video format. It can do exactly what you asked. I use it to edit out commercials and convert video formats as well as join multiple clips together. It was probably the first commercially available editing program that worked with videos recorded on a Tivo. It also works with wtv files recorded with Windows Media Center. I highly recommend it. They have a trial version that you can download for free to check it out. It's well worth the cost.
post #12 of 18 Old 01-08-2020, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 341
I've worked with so many video editing programs and they all seemed very complicated at first. To me there is one holy grail: Davinci Resolve.
Its "Studio" version is very popular in Hollywood. Most modern movies seem to be colour graded in this software. The free version is stripped of its pro features and is very straight forward. Modern interface, resource efficient, just download&use. To me the free version is the perfect basic video editing software. Drag and drop your files into your timeline and you can basically export already.
SuperFist likes this.

A Star Is Born - Lady Gaga goes Rock Audio&Video by Ocean Studios (me)
SKHorn Build
Samsung KS7500 - Marantz NR1504 - Klipsch R-26F - Klipsch R-25C - Klipsch R-15M - SKHorn (on FP-13000 clone)
Bass EQ for Filtered Video Games
post #13 of 18 Old 01-09-2020, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked: 1427
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
I've been using VideoReDo for over a decade. They just released a new version of their TV Suite software. It's easy to use and works with just about every type of video format.
I've been using VRD for a long time also, ever since I bought my first TiVo. I'm still using v4. I would upgrade but I've been very disappointed that they support HD video codecs and resolutions but still don't support HD audio codecs.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #14 of 18 Old 01-09-2020, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I've been using VRD for a long time also, ever since I bought my first TiVo. I'm still using v4. I would upgrade but I've been very disappointed that they support HD video codecs and resolutions but still don't support HD audio codecs.
I'm not sure why you say that. Here's a quote from the description of features in the latest version 6 of their TV Suite:

Quote:
Take control of your audio.
TVSuite's advanced audio support lets you remove, duplicate and re-order the audio streams each with options to change the codec, bitrate, sampling rate, and gain.

Need to adjust the level? Each audio stream can be automatically normalized or, using our intelligent compressor, let VideoReDo raise the levels of soft passages while reducing the volume of loud ones.
I don't think it matters if it's HD audio or any other format. I'm not sure why you would specifically need HD audio capabilities unless you're authoring Blu-Ray discs and even then it should treat the source audio as it is and not change it.
post #15 of 18 Old 01-10-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
I'm not sure why you say that.
From their specifications, the highest audio codec they support is AC3 (DD 5.1). So yes, if one wanted to pull clips from a ripped DVD, you are OK but if you wanted to pull clips from a ripped BD, you are limited to the AC3 sound track.

Don't get me wrong, I really like VRD and have used it for years to edit TiVo recordings. But that is what it was primarily made for -- editing TV recordings and camcorder footage. It's just that the inclusion of H.264 and now HVEC video codecs whets the pallet for more than just HDTV editing.

Also, as long as we are at it, the inclusion of DVD authoring of edited material was nice -- for 10 yr ago. With the advent of HDTV recording and editing they should have put in BD authoring a long time ago.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #16 of 18 Old 01-10-2020, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
From their specifications, the highest audio codec they support is AC3 (DD 5.1). So yes, if one wanted to pull clips from a ripped DVD, you are OK but if you wanted to pull clips from a ripped BD, you are limited to the AC3 sound track.

Don't get me wrong, I really like VRD and have used it for years to edit TiVo recordings. But that is what it was primarily made for -- editing TV recordings and camcorder footage. It's just that the inclusion of H.264 and now HVEC video codecs whets the pallet for more than just HDTV editing.

Also, as long as we are at it, the inclusion of DVD authoring of edited material was nice -- for 10 yr ago. With the advent of HDTV recording and editing they should have put in BD authoring a long time ago.
I hear what you're saying, but VRD does exactly what the OP was asking for. Authoring Blu-Ray discs or editing HD audio tracks was not part of the discussion.
post #17 of 18 Old 01-10-2020, 04:30 PM

Ah, OK. Agreed.

But you do realize the initial post was made almost 6yr ago and the OP hasn't logged in, in over 5yr.
The discussion was pretty much between you and me.

- kelson h

Last edited by Kelson; 01-10-2020 at 04:38 PM.
post #18 of 18 Old 01-10-2020, 09:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ah, OK. Agreed.

But you do realize the initial post was made almost 6yr ago and the OP hasn't logged in, in over 5yr.
The discussion was pretty much between you and me.
LOL, no, I didn't realize that. I tend not to look at the original dates of threads and just respond to current posts when they're new. It showed up as a new post so that's why I responded to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page