; I have a problem with my home theater setup. I think I know what the root cause is, and have one workaround that works (mostly), but it has its quirks. Tried other method(s) with no luck. I feel there must be a better solution to this, hence this post.
- HTPC with GTX 650 -> Arcam AVR450 -> Samsung HU8550
- All connections use high speed HDMI cables
- GTX 650 and Arcam support HDMI 1.4. Sufficient for my needs as I don't need UHD 60Hz
- Samsung HU8550 is HDMI 2.0
At UHD resolutions, this setup gives me intermittent (and very frequent) image signal loss at the tv. It is random, image cuts off for a second or two, comes back, and repeats this. This happens at all frequencies. This doesn't happen if my HTPC is connected to the TV directly, so it is related to having Arcam in between.
The Underlying Issue
This problem doesn't happen when PC is directly connected to the to the TV, so I figured this is somehow related to my AVR not passing TVs information correctly back to the computer. I've found out that, this happens because my computer is sending wrong "advanced timing info" to the TV when Arcam is in the equation. So values like front porch, sync width etc are incorrect.
What Works (sort of)
I created custom resolutions using nVidia's control panel for 23(23.976), 25(25) and 29(29.97) refresh rates. For each of these, I used the correct advanced timing parameters, and this resolves the problem for said refresh rates completely. Yay! Em, no not so fast.
The two custom resolutions for 23(23.976) and 29(29.97) are stored as 24 and 30 by nVidia. They still do the right thing, as in, they modify the 23 and 29 Hz. But since they are stored for 24 and 30, I cannot create custom resolution with correct timings for 24 and 30 Hz anymore. Hence, European movies filmed at 24Hz are a no joy.
What Doesn't Work (I don't know why):
1) EDID Override
I captured EDIDs using moninfo for HTPC -> TV as well as HTPC -> AVR -> TV connections. Used the first block from direct TV connection and second block from AVR connection in an EDID override, and installed that as the current monitor's driver. This didn't fix the issue at all (I am kind of surprised why it didn't)
2) Custom Resolution Utility
There is this utility CRU
that is supposed to allow you to create custom resolutions. Maybe I did not use it correctly, but it simply doesn't work at all. I couldn't even fix the ones I fixed through nVidia's own custom resolution creation utility.
This is where I am. I have somewhat low expectation of someone knowing exactly how to fix this issue, but this forum is full of bright enthusiast, so maybe there's still chance