Samsung 4K TV + AVR + EDID Override + Advanced Timings + Signal Loss - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tulli

post #1 of 10 Old 11-03-2014, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Question Samsung 4K TV + AVR + EDID Override + Advanced Timings + Signal Loss

TLDR; I have a problem with my home theater setup. I think I know what the root cause is, and have one workaround that works (mostly), but it has its quirks. Tried other method(s) with no luck. I feel there must be a better solution to this, hence this post.

Setup
- HTPC with GTX 650 -> Arcam AVR450 -> Samsung HU8550
- All connections use high speed HDMI cables
- GTX 650 and Arcam support HDMI 1.4. Sufficient for my needs as I don't need UHD 60Hz
- Samsung HU8550 is HDMI 2.0

The Problem
At UHD resolutions, this setup gives me intermittent (and very frequent) image signal loss at the tv. It is random, image cuts off for a second or two, comes back, and repeats this. This happens at all frequencies. This doesn't happen if my HTPC is connected to the TV directly, so it is related to having Arcam in between.

The Underlying Issue
This problem doesn't happen when PC is directly connected to the to the TV, so I figured this is somehow related to my AVR not passing TVs information correctly back to the computer. I've found out that, this happens because my computer is sending wrong "advanced timing info" to the TV when Arcam is in the equation. So values like front porch, sync width etc are incorrect.

What Works (sort of)
I created custom resolutions using nVidia's control panel for 23(23.976), 25(25) and 29(29.97) refresh rates. For each of these, I used the correct advanced timing parameters, and this resolves the problem for said refresh rates completely. Yay! Em, no not so fast.

The two custom resolutions for 23(23.976) and 29(29.97) are stored as 24 and 30 by nVidia. They still do the right thing, as in, they modify the 23 and 29 Hz. But since they are stored for 24 and 30, I cannot create custom resolution with correct timings for 24 and 30 Hz anymore. Hence, European movies filmed at 24Hz are a no joy.

What Doesn't Work (I don't know why):

1) EDID Override
I captured EDIDs using moninfo for HTPC -> TV as well as HTPC -> AVR -> TV connections. Used the first block from direct TV connection and second block from AVR connection in an EDID override, and installed that as the current monitor's driver. This didn't fix the issue at all (I am kind of surprised why it didn't)

2) Custom Resolution Utility
There is this utility CRU that is supposed to allow you to create custom resolutions. Maybe I did not use it correctly, but it simply doesn't work at all. I couldn't even fix the ones I fixed through nVidia's own custom resolution creation utility.

This is where I am. I have somewhat low expectation of someone knowing exactly how to fix this issue, but this forum is full of bright enthusiast, so maybe there's still chance

Last edited by bcec; 11-03-2014 at 07:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-03-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 103
The EDID Override you made is not a proper merge of the particular EDIDs of the TV and AVR (there's the VSDB block in the extension block). So perhaps a proper override would work. If you want to try it post both real-time EDIDs and I'll do the merge.

Otherwise you could use two HDMI connections with the AVR in extended mode.

EDID Overrides (capture, install/uninstall, troubleshooting)
post #3 of 10 Old 11-03-2014, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulli View Post
The EDID Override you made is not a proper merge of the particular EDIDs of the TV and AVR (there's the VSDB block in the extension block). So perhaps a proper override would work. If you want to try it post both real-time EDIDs and I'll do the merge.

Thanks a lot for response and offer for help! I will post them tonight after going home. Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-03-2014, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
In Nvidia Control Panel, Display, Adjust desktop color settings, try changing the "Content Type reported to the display" to Full-Screen Video
post #5 of 10 Old 11-03-2014, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Attached the files (INFs.zip)

htpc -> avr -> tv:
avr.inf

htpc -> tv (for some reason, moninfo shows two realtime display ids when htpc is directly connected to the tv, so I've included both)
tv1.inf
tv2.inf
Attached Files
File Type: zip INFs.zip (3.9 KB, 322 views)
post #6 of 10 Old 11-03-2014, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjayd13 View Post
In Nvidia Control Panel, Display, Adjust desktop color settings, try changing the "Content Type reported to the display" to Full-Screen Video
Thanks for the response. Just tried that, but nope.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-04-2014, 02:13 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Here's your mod:
Attached Files
File Type: zip Samsung HU8550 - Arcam AVR450.zip (1.3 KB, 997 views)

post #8 of 10 Old 11-04-2014, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Here's your mod:
Appreciate the help man. But, nope, this didn't do it Any other ideas? What did you mean by 2 connections with AVR in extended mode? Do you mean I should split the signal from PC and send it to TV and AVR separately?
post #9 of 10 Old 11-05-2014, 02:05 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

2 diffferent connections from the card by using a DVI/HDMI adapter. Use this one for the TV and HDMI for the AVR.
bcec likes this.

post #10 of 10 Old 11-05-2014, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

You sir, made my day. Brilliant!

I had a spare cable with one end DVI other end HDMI from good old days when gfx cards didn't come with HDMI out. Plugged that in to nVidia DVI-out and TV's HDMI-DVI input. Perfect. Didn't have to modify anything else. What's more, colors on DVI->HDMI is noticeably better than HDMI->HDMI. Salute!

Last edited by bcec; 11-05-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page