Mixed Up Audio Channels Over HDMI? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-07-2014, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mixed Up Audio Channels Over HDMI?

I built an HTPC for a friend and when testing it, we noticed that the audio channels were mixed up (i.e. the rear left channel would play through front right or not at all). This setup was using integrated graphics and the motherboard's HDMI port, a setup that is similar to mine.

When we changed an HDMI cable, it appeared to work alright.

Mine worked fine for a while, and I recently noticed the channels weren't right, and sure enough, the 5.1/7.1 test in Windows sound showed that the channels are mixed up.

I have tried different cables, but to no avail. Do any of you have this problem? It's annoying to the point that I might consider going back to a WDTV, which seems a little pointless given I have an HTPC as part of the setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-07-2014, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 105
As silly as it sounds but are your sure the speakers are hooked up correctly? Try the avr test tones.

Bill
post #3 of 5 Old 11-07-2014, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hah, I thought someone would ask. Yeah, they're hooked up correctly. Tested with AVR tones like you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post
As silly as it sounds but are your sure the speakers are hooked up correctly? Try the avr test tones.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-07-2014, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 158
I've had this happen randomly at times, particularly with PDVD. I was never sure if it was a Windows issue or a PDVD one. What happens from time to time is I get the centre mapped to the Left Rear and I dunno what else gets messed up 'cause it's kind of hard to identify. There's no mistaking people shouting at you from the left rear all of a sudden though, LOL. It usually starts when watching a BD and hitting pause (or ffw/rwd) at any point in the movie. Once it resumes after whatever function, it's channel mixup city.

It get fixed with a reboot most of the time. Then it goes away for a long time, randomly pops up again sometimes. Have no idea what causes it though.

If you have a modern AVR then you can avoid this by simply limiting multi-channel output to bitstreamed formats (TrueHD, DTS-HD). Couple formats you probably won't be able to do that with however, are AAC-multi and WMA-multi, which you'll have to use multi-PCM for. Personally my receiver is not new enough for bitstreamed HD formats so I'm stuck using multi-PCM.

So, if you can bitstream more stuff I'd say do that. Otherwise, rebooting should solve it, no? Again I have no idea why this actually happens but I have had it happen as well--you're definitely not alone.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-05-2016, 01:11 AM
V_J

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just reviving this old thread: I have the same problem and it appears to be a known issue with Intel:
https://communities.intel.com/thread/45733
The problem apparently still occurs on their latest drivers (as of 05/12/2016); according to the thread above, a reboot restores the channel layout. Rebooting is not always an option (e.g. when you are recording something else at the time...). Has anyone got a solution for this?

Last edited by V_J; 12-05-2016 at 01:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
channels , hdmi , htpc , mixed , sound

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page