Can't get Windows Home Server 2011 anymore?? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 Old 12-09-2014, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
mlah384's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 911
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Can't get Windows Home Server 2011 anymore??

I've been trying to buy Microsoft Windows Home Server 2011 and I can't find it anywhere. What is everyone using now that WHS2011 is dead?
mlah384 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 44 Old 12-09-2014, 11:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dark_Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,714
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 473
IMO there are no good reasons to use WHS over just Windows (7 or 8.1). There are reasons, but they haven't been missed. I have an 8.1 server w/ wmc. You'll be much happier down the line if you want to extend OTA tv through WMC as a backend to MB3 or XBMC with ServerWMC if you just use windows to begin with. I don't personally have a lot of windows machines around the house. There are 3, and of those 3 only one is really backed up (the server). The others just aren't important enough for me to justify keeping around bare-metal restore images (which is pretty much the benefit that WHS provides, albeit with a few headaches as well one being that the backups necessitate an extra HDD)
Dark_Slayer is offline  
post #3 of 44 Old 12-10-2014, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bryansj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 9,430
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1760 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Well the Microsoft next step is Windows Server 2012r2 Essentials. Unless you get it free it isn't cheap and you'll be diving in to domains.

bryansj is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 44 Old 12-10-2014, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ken.F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Rockhill, PA
Posts: 5,677
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2391 Post(s)
Liked: 2787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
IMO there are no good reasons to use WHS over just Windows (7 or 8.1). There are reasons, but they haven't been missed.
I had WHS2011 on my server for a while. It worked great but you can't Media Center on it. I ended up putting Win7 Pro on it. If it wasn't for that I'd still have WHS on it.
Ken.F is online now  
post #5 of 44 Old 12-10-2014, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
ncarty97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
IMO there are no good reasons to use WHS over just Windows (7 or 8.1). There are reasons, but they haven't been missed. I have an 8.1 server w/ wmc. You'll be much happier down the line if you want to extend OTA tv through WMC as a backend to MB3 or XBMC with ServerWMC if you just use windows to begin with. I don't personally have a lot of windows machines around the house. There are 3, and of those 3 only one is really backed up (the server). The others just aren't important enough for me to justify keeping around bare-metal restore images (which is pretty much the benefit that WHS provides, albeit with a few headaches as well one being that the backups necessitate an extra HDD)
There are several good reasons:

1) There is not a backup system out there that is comparable in terms of simplicity or effectiveness
2) The remote access is better than anything else out there.
3) Neither Win7 or 8.1 have a dashboard to allow you to manage the server without remoting in. (the least of the reasons IMO, but still an important one).

That's not to say that people's needs can't be met by other products, but there is nothing, short of the much more expensive Windows Server Essentials, that provides those three functions as well.
ncarty97 is offline  
post #6 of 44 Old 12-10-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TornadoTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hill Country, Texas
Posts: 7,905
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Those are some of the reasons I still run WHS 2011. And regarding Media Center, I have no need to do that - it is headless in a closet. It was a bummer when parity left in the new version, but I got over that with StableBit. Not sure why I didn't look at FlexRAID, just ended up with StableBit.

Technically, there is a way to have WMC on the same box, you could virtualize WHS and W7 on the same unit, if you wanted.
ncarty97 likes this.
TornadoTJ is offline  
post #7 of 44 Old 12-10-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ken.F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Rockhill, PA
Posts: 5,677
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2391 Post(s)
Liked: 2787
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarty97 View Post
There are several good reasons:

1) There is not a backup system out there that is comparable in terms of simplicity or effectiveness
2) The remote access is better than anything else out there.
3) Neither Win7 or 8.1 have a dashboard to allow you to manage the server without remoting in. (the least of the reasons IMO, but still an important one).

That's not to say that people's needs can't be met by other products, but there is nothing, short of the much more expensive Windows Server Essentials, that provides those three functions as well.
I never bothered with backups for my media. Yes, it would suck if I lost my media library but there's nothing important on my media drives that I can't live without. I have a lot of recorded movies and TV shows that would be lost but those aren't important enough to use up the disk space required to have a duplicate copy. The rest is on DVD and blu ray that I can rip again. I have all of my important documents and photos on the office PC and that stuff gets backed up to BD-RE discs.

Chrome Remote Desktop works really well. I can remote in with my Android phone or my Chromebook and get a full desktop much like Windows RDP.

I never found the dashboard to be useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
Those are some of the reasons I still run WHS 2011. And regarding Media Center, I have no need to do that - it is headless in a closet. It was a bummer when parity left in the new version, but I got over that with StableBit. Not sure why I didn't look at FlexRAID, just ended up with StableBit.

Technically, there is a way to have WMC on the same box, you could virtualize WHS and W7 on the same unit, if you wanted.
Virtualized Windows sounds like a can of worms I don't want to open. The only reason I wanted WMC on the server is because my extenders are turned on all the time and whatever computer the extenders are paired to won't go to sleep. My server was already running 24/7 and I didn't want to have another one running all the time too. I don't have much closet space so it's sitting in the corner of a spare bedroom. It may as well be headless since I hardly ever sit in front of it to do any work. It's not a true server and it's not really a HTPC so I don't know what to call it. Maybe I'll call it a 30TB FlexRAID WMC/Plex and remote video editing workstation host?
Ken.F is online now  
post #8 of 44 Old 12-10-2014, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
ncarty97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I never bothered with backups for my media. Yes, it would suck if I lost my media library but there's nothing important on my media drives that I can't live without. I have a lot of recorded movies and TV shows that would be lost but those aren't important enough to use up the disk space required to have a duplicate copy. The rest is on DVD and blu ray that I can rip again. I have all of my important documents and photos on the office PC and that stuff gets backed up to BD-RE discs.
I don't backup my media, I back up my client computers. Has saved my butt on several occasions.

Quote:
Chrome Remote Desktop works really well. I can remote in with my Android phone or my Chromebook and get a full desktop much like Windows RDP.
Does that provide access outside your network? WHS allows you remote access from anywhere

Quote:
I never found the dashboard to be useful.
I find it useful for when I need to add a user or folder as well as for some of the add-ins I run. One that I absolutely love is RemoteApps by TheOfficeMaven. Allows you to essentially make an app cloud based. I can use my Quicken (or Quickbooks for my business) from anywhere.

Quote:
Virtualized Windows sounds like a can of worms I don't want to open. The only reason I wanted WMC on the server is because my extenders are turned on all the time and whatever computer the extenders are paired to won't go to sleep. My server was already running 24/7 and I didn't want to have another one running all the time too. I don't have much closet space so it's sitting in the corner of a spare bedroom. It may as well be headless since I hardly ever sit in front of it to do any work. It's not a true server and it's not really a HTPC so I don't know what to call it. Maybe I'll call it a 30TB FlexRAID WMC/Plex and remote video editing workstation host?
That's exactly why I virtualized my set up. I went with ESXi and run several VMs on there, but the two main ones are for my WHS and a second one that will eventually house my main WMC machine (right now I just use it for encoding and such). It was intimidating to get started, but once I dove in, it wasn't that tough to get set up or maintain.

Last edited by ncarty97; 12-10-2014 at 12:20 PM.
ncarty97 is offline  
post #9 of 44 Old 12-10-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TornadoTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hill Country, Texas
Posts: 7,905
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked: 626
I don't duplicate my media either (except music). But there are other things on the server that I do duplicate, for example my wife's photos, work related stuff, etc. If I lost ALL my movies, I already have a backup of the rips I have created, so it wouldn't be a huge deal. Having to manually re-rip them all though would be trouble. But, I could do a few here and there as I needed them. Besides, I've lost a drive out of my StableBit pool before, and only lost the movies on that drive, not all my movies. (It was a drive failure, not a StableBit issue.)

I use extenders also, but I'm using cheap XBOX 360 slims I've purchased used. For power reasons, I don't leave them on. I've considered trying some of the low power extenders, but I've read too many comments about them being slow. The WAF is a big deal around here.

I've done a lot of virtualized systems, but as of yet I haven't virtualized a Win7 with the purpose of being my WMC hub for the extenders. It is on my list of things to toy with during my Christmas vacation time. Why do we get vacation from our IT jobs to come home and play with IT?

The only reason I've considered moving the hub for the extenders and/or moving recording to a separate box has to do with WAF too. Sometimes my main HTPC will have playback issues, and we can't reboot it because it is recording shows for my wife. So we are stuck unable to watch movies, or we have to reboot and restart the recording of the shows we had to stop. Can be a pain, even though it only happens a few times a year.
TornadoTJ is offline  
post #10 of 44 Old 12-10-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ken.F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Rockhill, PA
Posts: 5,677
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2391 Post(s)
Liked: 2787
@ncarty97 - Chrome Remote Desktop does work outside of the home network from my phone. I'm leaving for Atlanta tomorrow so I guess I'll find out if it'll work on the Chromebook too. I don't see why it wouldn't.
I guess I still could virtualize. Is it better to run WHS 2011 from within a Win7 Pro install or run Win7 Pro from within a WHS 2011 install? Are there any WMC DRM or playready issues doing it either way?
@TornadoTJ - The next time you have a playback issue while recording try logging out and back on without rebooting. That can clear up many problems without interrupting your recordings in progress.
ncarty97 likes this.
Ken.F is online now  
post #11 of 44 Old 12-10-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TornadoTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hill Country, Texas
Posts: 7,905
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Closing WHS and restarting will fix video issues, but not issues where it won't start a playback. I don't think I've tried logging out and back in, thank you I will give that a shot next time!

DRM issues will arise if you are not using extenders. If you record on one Windows 7 (or 8) box, then try to play it on another, it will not work.

I'm going to virtualize with ESXi.

Windows 7 will only virtualize Windows XP (IIRC), but Windows 8.1 will virtualize lots of operating systems. I hadn't even thought about that before you said something here. WHS2011 has the virtualization stuff disabled unfortunately.

A Windows 8.1 main OS with WHS 2011 virtualized might just work for me. I've done some Ubuntu installs on my Win 8.1 machine with no issues, so that would give me the ability to virtualize my linux apps on a dedicated box. I'm not a fan of 8, but for this use it just might work. I may even try that first!
ncarty97 likes this.
TornadoTJ is offline  
post #12 of 44 Old 12-10-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ken.F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Rockhill, PA
Posts: 5,677
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2391 Post(s)
Liked: 2787
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
Closing WHS and restarting will fix video issues, but not issues where it won't start a playback. I don't think I've tried logging out and back in, thank you I will give that a shot next time!

DRM issues will arise if you are not using extenders. If you record on one Windows 7 (or 8) box, then try to play it on another, it will not work.

I'm going to virtualize with ESXi.

Windows 7 will only virtualize Windows XP (IIRC), but Windows 8.1 will virtualize lots of operating systems. I hadn't even thought about that before you said something here. WHS2011 has the virtualization stuff disabled unfortunately.

A Windows 8.1 main OS with WHS 2011 virtualized might just work for me. I've done some Ubuntu installs on my Win 8.1 machine with no issues, so that would give me the ability to virtualize my linux apps on a dedicated box. I'm not a fan of 8, but for this use it just might work. I may even try that first!
I guess I'm stuck with Win7. My extenders are Ceton Echos so they won't work on Windows 8 or later. The Xbox 360 is the only extender that will work on Win 8.
Ken.F is online now  
post #13 of 44 Old 12-10-2014, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
ncarty97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
@ncarty97 - Chrome Remote Desktop does work outside of the home network from my phone. I'm leaving for Atlanta tomorrow so I guess I'll find out if it'll work on the Chromebook too. I don't see why it wouldn't.
Good to know, thanks! Always good to have a backup option.

Quote:
I guess I still could virtualize. Is it better to run WHS 2011 from within a Win7 Pro install or run Win7 Pro from within a WHS 2011 install? Are there any WMC DRM or playready issues doing it either way?
A couple of issues there that I can think of. I may not have it all straight though, so hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong:

1) If you virtualize Win7, you have to do a small hack/trick to get Media Center to go through the Digital Cable Advisor when you are running it virtualized. Its not a big deal, but it has to be done or it will tell you you don't meet the requirements.
2) There used to be issues with passing through the Ceton InfiniTV card to a virtualized machine. This may have been specific to ESXi though. I think it has been largely fixed. Its not an issue if you are using a SiliconDust Prime
3) Windows 7 does not have a Hypervisor built in (Win8 does though), so you'd need something like VirtualBox to be able to virtualize WHS2011 within it.
4) I don't think WHS2011 has a Hypervisor built in either though, so you'd still need something to virtualize Win7

I went with ESXi for several reasons.

1) It solves the problem of 3 & 4
2) Its a lightweight OS. You don't really need a full fledged OS if you are just virtualizing a bunch of machines with it
3) I don't like the idea of having any machine I depend on being dependent on another machine that I depend on without an easy way to restore. Essentially, if I used either the Win7 or WHS2011 as the main machine and it goes down, it takes the other one with it and its a pretty big process to get it back to running. With ESXi, I run the OS off a USB drive that I have two clones of. If something happens to that drive (I did have a corruption issue once), I just swap the drive out, reboot and I'm back to running. If the WHS2011 goes down (I've had it hang up a few times after it did updates from MSFT), the Windows 7 VM is still running fine, and vice versa.
ncarty97 is offline  
post #14 of 44 Old 12-10-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TornadoTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hill Country, Texas
Posts: 7,905
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Thanks for those comments, there's a lot of help in there. I use a HDHR Prime and a Dual, so it's good to know they work ok. I haven't seen any issues over on the Silicondust forum, now I know why. I did find the little hack to make sure the advisor works.

You've just mentioned the reasons I am gravitating toward ESXi. Thanks for the reminder.
TornadoTJ is offline  
post #15 of 44 Old 12-10-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ken.F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Rockhill, PA
Posts: 5,677
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2391 Post(s)
Liked: 2787
Thanks for the tips. I have a InfiniTV4 PCIe and Hauppauge 2250 PCIe installed. I also have a HDHR Prime and a HDHR dual on the network. Maybe I'll leave it alone since everything is working.
Ken.F is online now  
post #16 of 44 Old 12-10-2014, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
ncarty97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I have to admit, when I made the plunge, I was somewhat terrified (mainly because of the potential for low WAF if it took too long to work out the kinks!). Doing ESXi ended up being far easier than I had imagined though. I probably don't have it tweaked to even close to 100% perfection, but I'm very happy with the results.
ncarty97 is offline  
post #17 of 44 Old 12-10-2014, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
ncarty97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Thanks for the tips. I have a InfiniTV4 PCIe and Hauppauge 2250 PCIe installed. I also have a HDHR Prime and a HDHR dual on the network. Maybe I'll leave it alone since everything is working.
Always the safe bet! Especially if a significant other is involved! I'll never forget the day I came home, my 18 month old was screaming non-stop and my wife gave me a look that aged me 10 years. The server had locked up so none of the recorded shows were available to distract my daughter after she went into meltdown mode (we don't do that all the time, but sometimes you just need a break!)! She apparently didn't like anything that was currently on TV either.

I copied over at least one episode of each of her favorite shows to the HTPC that night so we'd always have a backup!
ncarty97 is offline  
post #18 of 44 Old 12-10-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TornadoTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hill Country, Texas
Posts: 7,905
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Out of curiosity, how many machines do you have virtualized, what operating systems, and how much RAM do you have in your server?

I will probably be virtualizing WHS 2011, Windows 7, and one or two Ubuntu instances. Been shopping motherboards and processors today, my old server is not up to snuff, and I don't really want to tear it down to build a new one - I'd rather keep what I have working running until I'm sure I can get the new one going.
TornadoTJ is offline  
post #19 of 44 Old 12-10-2014, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
ncarty97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 44
My setup is
AMD FX-8320 with 16GB ram
Can't remember the board I am using, but I added one of those LSI drive controllers that you flash to get 8 connectors for my FlexRAID array.
I also added a Dual Intel NIC card.

I have four machines virtualized:

WHS2011 - 2 Cores and 8GB
Win7Pro - 2 Cores and 4GB
WinXPPro - 1 Core and 1GB
Ubuntu - 1 Core and 2GB

The Win7Pro currently is used for encoding and it runs MediaBrowserServer
The XP machine I use for the occasional program that just doesn't run right in Win7/8 so it is usually not running.
The Ubuntu machine is left over from when I gave Plex a whirl. I think MB now has a Ubuntu client, so I may move it over there and add another Core and some more memory (Especially once I virtualize my WMC)

I probably will add another 16GB of ram in the after Christmas holidays
ncarty97 is offline  
post #20 of 44 Old 12-10-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TornadoTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hill Country, Texas
Posts: 7,905
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Have you found that WHS needs 8 GB? Even with all the other junk I have running (BlueIris, MB3, Plex, StableBit, Subsonic Streamer, and some other apps) I only sit right at 4GB of RAM in use. The machine has 8GB installed, but it doesn't seem to ever need it.

I want to set up some other stuff that needs Linux, but I think they will be fairly lightweight. Snort and Splunk will be first. At least I hope Snort is going to be lightweight.

I may even split out and keep two servers, just can't decide. My WHS 2011 box is working. Maybe moving some of the high usage stuff (like BlueIris) to the new box will be enough. I could still feed them to the existing WHS 2011 storage.
TornadoTJ is offline  
post #21 of 44 Old 12-10-2014, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
AVTechMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: East Texas
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 40
ESXi is awesome! I recently set my machine up and here's what I have running so far:

pfSense running as my new router in a VM setting, and got all the IP and DNS stuff working nicely with my network.

Server 2012 R2 Standard (with Essentials Role added), plan to use this for client backups, VPN access and some light file storage

Windows 7 Pro---this is a big one...since I have the Prime I got it working with WMC (with the DCA hack) and am able to record non-protected shows on the server. Now my local HTPC's don't have to be running all the time anymore to record as now I can watch the recorded content from the server. Plus, you don't have to pass a video card through to the host.

I don't know if I plan to reinstall Mediabrowser 3 server yet as I am re-assessing my media needs....so far JRiver is doing a much better job when it comes to watching content outside my home network, and random play with TV shows is working just as its supposed to, which is a major feature my brother kept talking to me about.

So yes, with ESXi you can consolidate several physical machines into one, and much easier to backup. My server is running on an Xeon E3 1230 V2 with 16GB RAM with the Supermicro board. Running great so far!!
AVTechMan is offline  
post #22 of 44 Old 12-10-2014, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dark_Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,714
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 473
OP, this proof of concept virtualized setup with both is cute to talk about but unnecessary. In my response to ncarty97 below you can see why I find whs completely unnecessary (note, why I find it to be . . . obviously others disagree and you have to decide what is important to you). You should be able to find w7 pro for about the price they had been selling whs (which used to be one of it's selling points) - also I know you are seeking to emulate mfusick, but you need to understand fully why he chose whs to begin with and whether those same reasons are important to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarty97 View Post
There are several good reasons:

1) There is not a backup system out there that is comparable in terms of simplicity or effectiveness
2) The remote access is better than anything else out there.
3) Neither Win7 or 8.1 have a dashboard to allow you to manage the server without remoting in. (the least of the reasons IMO, but still an important one).

That's not to say that people's needs can't be met by other products, but there is nothing, short of the much more expensive Windows Server Essentials, that provides those three functions as well.
Hopefully you at least noted I said IMO in my post, so here are the reasons why those are either replaced by something I found to be better or not missed

1) I disagree. My home setup is exactly what I want. All of my wife's documents and pictures from her w7 laptop are server shares. I removed the local folders from her w7 libraries. The laptop is almost a decade old and I definitely don't want bare metal backups of it taking up HDD space on my server. She's not concerned with the setup at this point, only the files. If it dies we will replace it with something else anyway, it's had a good run. The other windows computer is my gaming htpc. I keep all of my special tweaked files and xbmc add ons in a server holder along with the serials and installer files of my programs. Then all my games are either steam or origin except for the retro packs which I have on the server already categorized by console

2) really disagree on using rdp. I think teamviewer is much better and simpler to setup. No port forwards, and accessible from windows, mac, Linux, android, iOS, etc

3) I don't understand this at all, because for the brief time I used whs the dashboard and dashboard connector were the bane of my existence. I think this stems from my outside access being limited to either plex, mb3, teamviewer (full control), etc. I use a ddns provided by Asus on my router for the mediabrowser dashboard



....

To expand a little more, I have wmc installed because I run serverwmc as well and extend my OTA channels and recordings to xbmc and mediabrowser. I don't sit at my server like it's a media center

Also I run 8.1 headless. When I fiddle with it I'm sitting on the couch using my laptop and a team view session 99% of the time
Dark_Slayer is offline  
post #23 of 44 Old 12-10-2014, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
mlah384's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 911
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 231
mlah384 is offline  
post #24 of 44 Old 12-10-2014, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dark_Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,714
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Whs11 was akin to vista and ws2012 r2 is akin to w8.1, so not quite
Dark_Slayer is offline  
post #25 of 44 Old 12-10-2014, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
mlah384's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 911
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 231
I use Win7 pro retail on my PC's, I didn't like Win 8 UI and refused to upgrade to it... lol... So does Windows Home Server 2012 r2 have the same Win8 UI?
mlah384 is offline  
post #26 of 44 Old 12-10-2014, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bryansj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 9,430
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1760 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlah384 View Post
I use Win7 pro retail on my PC's, I didn't like Win 8 UI and refused to upgrade to it... lol... So does Windows Home Server 2012 r2 have the same Win8 UI?
There is no such thing as WHS 2012r2. Windows Server 2012r2 Essentials does have a UI similar to Windows 8.1. As with 8.1 I'm in desktop mode 99.9% of the time in Server 2012r2 as well. I had one of those Start Menu replacements, but stopped using them. I usually just hit Start (button or keyboard key) and type the first couple letters and hit enter to launch the app. PHO for Photoshop, WO for Word...

bryansj is offline  
post #27 of 44 Old 12-10-2014, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
ncarty97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
Have you found that WHS needs 8 GB? Even with all the other junk I have running (BlueIris, MB3, Plex, StableBit, Subsonic Streamer, and some other apps) I only sit right at 4GB of RAM in use. The machine has 8GB installed, but it doesn't seem to ever need it.
I set it for 8 when I was running MBServer, PHP (for a couple of web apps I used personally), uTorrent, and a few other things. I moved MBServer and removed PHP, but now I'm running Quickbooks and Quicken on there, with two users using Quickbooks on occasion. I haven't actually monitored it to see what is being used, but since the rest of the VMs didn't need it, I figured I'd give it to it. The last thing I need is my business partner calling me up in the middle of the night because he gets some memory related error when he's trying to use Quickbooks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post
ESXi is awesome! I recently set my machine up and here's what I have running so far:

pfSense running as my new router in a VM setting, and got all the IP and DNS stuff working nicely with my network.
That's hopefully a project in the near future for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
Hopefully you at least noted I said IMO in my post, so here are the reasons why those are either replaced by something I found to be better or not missed
I did! Thanks for posting your reasons, I'm always interested in seeing what other people think.

Quote:
1) I disagree. My home setup is exactly what I want. All of my wife's documents and pictures from her w7 laptop are server shares. I removed the local folders from her w7 libraries. The laptop is almost a decade old and I definitely don't want bare metal backups of it taking up HDD space on my server. She's not concerned with the setup at this point, only the files. If it dies we will replace it with something else anyway, it's had a good run. The other windows computer is my gaming htpc. I keep all of my special tweaked files and xbmc add ons in a server holder along with the serials and installer files of my programs. Then all my games are either steam or origin except for the retro packs which I have on the server already categorized by console
My setup is a bit different, so I found value in the backupo in these scenarios:

1) I replaced the hard drive on my 5 year old laptop with an SSD. I found it better to use the WHS backup than the include software
2) While I also store all the 'client files' on the server anyway (and backup there), I had an issue on my Surface Pro where a game I was playing stopped working after a patch (Baldur's Gate EE). There was no way to uninstall the patch or to reinstall without the patch. I was pretty ticked, but then I was able to just restore the game files from one of my nightly backups before the update (and then backed them up to the server manually for future installs!)
3) Twice my HTPC hard drive has required a full rebuild. The first time was a drive crash (lovely 4 months after buying), second was when Cinavia hit and destroyed my sound drivers. Sure I could have just rebuilt the HTPC (and I've gotten to a point I can do it in just a few hours), but since a lot of our recordings are copy protected, we'd lose the ability to play all of them. By using the WHS backup, we were back up and running in about half an hour as if nothing had happened (contributes to the WAF!)

Quote:
2) really disagree on using rdp. I think teamviewer is much better and simpler to setup. No port forwards, and accessible from windows, mac, Linux, android, iOS, etc
I haven't tried that before, but I'll check it out, thanks!

Quote:
3) I don't understand this at all, because for the brief time I used whs the dashboard and dashboard connector were the bane of my existence. I think this stems from my outside access being limited to either plex, mb3, teamviewer (full control), etc. I use a ddns provided by Asus on my router for the mediabrowser dashboard
I've used it mainly for adding new folders (which admittedly since use FlexRAID, I still have to go into the dashboard of that), user permissions (not huge but since we use one of the folders for my business, I want to limit my partner from what he has access to) and with the RemoteLaucher, a few other apps (uTorrent, starting/stopping FlexRAID array, etc.). Also since I use RemoteApps, that's pretty huge (I looked for an alternative, but couldn't find one)
ncarty97 is offline  
post #28 of 44 Old 12-12-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ken.F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Rockhill, PA
Posts: 5,677
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2391 Post(s)
Liked: 2787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Chrome Remote Desktop does work outside of the home network from my phone. I'm leaving for Atlanta tomorrow so I guess I'll find out if it'll work on the Chromebook too. I don't see why it wouldn't.
Update:
I'm in Atlanta now and Chrome Remote Desktop is working from my Chromebook. I had a glitch where the remote desktop display of my home computer went black. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting but it was still black. Chrome Remote Desktop has a built in function where you can send a ctrl+alt+delete key combination to the remote computer. I used that and that got the display back so I rebooted the remote Win7 computer. After waiting a little while for it to reboot, I went back in and everything worked fine. I moved some of my recordings to my MCEBuddy monitor folder and had MCEBuddy re-name some shows, then I moved them into the appropriate show folders. When I finished that I logged out of the remote desktop, opened Plex web and re-scanned the media libraries. All of my moved and re-named recordings showed up in Plex so I'm calling it a sucess.

I am a bit concerned with the black screen issue. Hopefully it won't happen again. Other than that it worked really well.
Ken.F is online now  
post #29 of 44 Old 12-12-2014, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
dfkimbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Franklin, TN (mostly)
Posts: 666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlah384 View Post
I've been trying to buy Microsoft Windows Home Server 2011 and I can't find it anywhere. What is everyone using now that WHS2011 is dead?
If I could find a copy of WHS 2011 new in box now, I would buy it. I wish I bought it last year before got pulled from the shelves completely.
dfkimbro is offline  
post #30 of 44 Old 12-12-2014, 07:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Mac25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ms gulf coast
Posts: 334
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
anybody wants 2011 whs i got 1.
Mac25 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Home Theater Computers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off