Which IR receiver is best for controlling TMT6 with Harmony 650 ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 12-24-2014, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Which IR receiver is best for controlling TMT6 with Harmony 650 ?

Hi guys ... I'd like to know which IR receiver/remote to buy which works the best in controlling TotalMedia Theater 6 via a Harmony remote ?

I've spent the last few days searching everywhere, and several IR dongles are commonly suggested (such as the HP MCE IR Receiver, Ortek, a Chinese remote, something called 'iMon', etc.) but I don't know which one would be the best in supporting support all TMT actions, including combinations such as CTRL+D, etc..

Compatibility with other similar apps such as PowerDVD, WinDVD, XBMC and WMC is also important to me, but isn't my primary concern. WMC and XBMC I've never personally used, but have mentioned them here as they're commonly used HTPC software.

So please suggest which IR remote/receive/dongle I should buy ..

Last edited by ahmadka; 12-24-2014 at 02:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 12-24-2014, 04:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1754 Post(s)
Liked: 790
The HP receiver is commonly supported since it uses WMC eHome IR codes. It is also compatible with eventghost if you need to make custom send and receive commands.

post #3 of 32 Old 12-24-2014, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
The HP receiver is commonly supported since it uses WMC eHome IR codes. It is also compatible with eventghost if you need to make custom send and receive commands.
Meaning if I'd like a Harmony remote button to perform CTRL + ALT + DELETE (just an example), that would be possible to configure ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 12-24-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 3019 Post(s)
Liked: 1368
No IR remote is going to be able to send all arbitrary key combos directly. But you have a couple of options:
  • Flirc
  • Eventghost
  • Smartphone app (Hippo remote for example)
  • Microsoft IR keyboard (wouldn't recommend this except for learning purposes)
  • Any other USB/IR/RF/UHF/Bluetooth keyboard

Eventghost or smartphone is probably the shortest path given the hardware you already have. Both Eventghost and Flirc allow you to essentially map any arbitrary IR signal to any combination of keys

But TMT is supposed to be fully compatible with MCE remotes if set up properly:
http://www.missingremote.com/review/...lmedia-theatre

I've personally never had to use Flirc or Eventghost. Standard MCE plus a real keyboard or smartphone app can cover everything.
post #5 of 32 Old 12-24-2014, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
No IR remote is going to be able to send all arbitrary key combos directly. But you have a couple of options:
  • Flirc
  • Eventghost
  • Smartphone app (Hippo remote for example)
  • Microsoft IR keyboard (wouldn't recommend this except for learning purposes)
  • Any other USB/IR/RF/UHF/Bluetooth keyboard

Eventghost or smartphone is probably the shortest path given the hardware you already have. Both Eventghost and Flirc allow you to essentially map any arbitrary IR signal to any combination of keys

But TMT is supposed to be fully compatible with MCE remotes if set up properly:
http://www.missingremote.com/review/...lmedia-theatre

I've personally never had to use Flirc or Eventghost. Standard MCE plus a real keyboard or smartphone app can cover everything.
Thanks for your input. Just to clarify something, the only hardware I have so far is the Harmony 650 .. I have not purchased an IR receiver yet - in fact, suggestion for this is the point of this thread

I know there are smartphone/tablet control apps available, but I want to my Harmony to be my central device for controlling everything.

My intentions are to primarily control all aspects of TMT, but to also create a few macros. For example, there is a PC utility available which sits in the System Tray and is able to change the BD Region in TMT without decreasing the change limit count. I may want to create a Macro to change the region to Region A, or B, etc. This might require functionality outside of standard MCE commands.

Another thing is that in the future I may require pressing some specific key combo, which I might not know right now, thus requiring an IR receiver (or compatible software) capable of offering such a customization.

Besides the HP IR Receiver, is there any other which can work with Eventghost to create custom key combos or macros ?
post #6 of 32 Old 12-24-2014, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
Just to make sure, I assume you're referring to this HP IR remote/receiver:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HP-USB-M...-/190699256474
post #7 of 32 Old 12-24-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1754 Post(s)
Liked: 790
Yes, but you don't need to remote.

post #8 of 32 Old 12-24-2014, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks.

Also, would there be anyway to map the same button to different key combos under different applications ?

For example, in TMT, the key for forwarding is 'F', but in MPC, the key for the same function is the Right Arrow '>'.

Is Everghost intelligent enough handle such variances ?

I plan to use TMT for Blu-ray playback, but will use MPC for all other types of media.
post #9 of 32 Old 12-24-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 107
CTL-D? good heavens! Sounds like the TMT's developer never made the transition to fully interface with an IR remote.

I was looking at TMT because it's rumored to be the only player that directly plays back BR folders, then they died, so I tried PDVD14 and holly smokes it does play BR folders! and PDVD14 responds to normal MCE IR commands, for PDVD configurations it does wants me to talk to it with a mouse and for that I have an RF kbd/touchpad combo, AND PDVD has this smartphone app which simulate a mouse so I use that too, but then like said that's for the occasional configuration, everyday playback, my MCE remote does the job.
post #10 of 32 Old 12-25-2014, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Still waiting a reply to my question two posts above guys ..

And Happy Holidays !
post #11 of 32 Old 12-25-2014, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 373
would there be anyway to map the same button to different key combo

With a Logitech you can map all you want as well as make what they call sequences but are simply macros.

So exactly what are you waiting for?
post #12 of 32 Old 12-25-2014, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post
would there be anyway to map the same button to different key combo

With a Logitech you can map all you want as well as make what they call sequences but are simply macros.

So exactly what are you waiting for?
Not sure if you understood my question properly, so let me elaborate ..

Suppose I have an activity called 'HTPC' defined on my Harmony. From the Harmony's point of view, this is just one activity to control my HTPC. However within this activity, I could be using either TMT or MPC, or some other player. Every player has its own keyboard shortcut for a specific function. So in order to make sure that a Harmony button press correctly executes the relevant key combo for the application running at that time on the HTPC, something on the PC needs to intelligently figure out which key combo to use for which running app.

Hence my question 4 posts above, about whether Everghost will be able to assist with this or not.

Hope it makes sense now.

EDIT: I know about Macros that you can define on your Harmony remote, but I don't think they're relevant to the issue at hand.
post #13 of 32 Old 12-25-2014, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 373
It made sense before.

Go to the Harmony thread in Remote Control section and ask away.
post #14 of 32 Old 12-25-2014, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Alright, asked there. However you might be suggesting to use Macros for custom app-specific commands .. If that's what you mean, won't that be too complicated ?

I was hoping that I don't program such complex logic on the Harmony, and have it send a common signal for all common actions (play, pause, rewind, forward, minimize, fullscreen), which something running on the HTPC reconfigures and re-routes to the correct app automatically ..

But I have asked in the Harmony thread too as you've suggested ..
post #15 of 32 Old 12-25-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Actually whether you are using a Harmony doesn't really matter, the remote really doesn't know what it's doing other than OK, it's programmed to send a certain IR sequence, is THE INTELLIGENCE on the PC that interprets what to do with that IR signal. You are looking for some kind of "IR to keyboard mapping" thingy and unfortunately am ignorant if such thing exists.
post #16 of 32 Old 12-25-2014, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post
Actually whether you are using a Harmony doesn't really matter, the remote really doesn't know what it's doing other than OK, it's programmed to send a certain IR sequence, is THE INTELLIGENCE on the PC that interprets what to do with that IR signal. You are looking for some kind of "IR to keyboard mapping" thingy and unfortunately am ignorant if such thing exists.
I agree - Harmony doesn't have much intelligence in that sense.

I've never used software such as Flirc or Everghost, but I'm hoping someone can chime in if it would be possible to create some sort of a script within them which checks for running programs, and then accordingly sends the appropriate key combo to the running app.
post #17 of 32 Old 12-25-2014, 09:08 AM

Hippo remote does exactly what you want out of the box and has "profiles" for each app on your PC as well as the ability to send any key combo or remap any keys in context. I use it for Windows, Chrome, WMC, PotPlayer, VLC and other apps on occasion, and it works beautifully.

I know very little about EG, but I doubt it can be made context sensitive. On Harmony, I would make an activity for each app, i.e., Watch TMT, Watch WMC, etc., each with a unique set of commands mapped to the appropriate keys and key combos in EG.

You'll have to do some research on EG to see if it will do what you need. You've already gone as far as Harmony alone can go.
post #18 of 32 Old 12-25-2014, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Hippo Remote is that app I assume you're talking about .. Well I intend to keep everything limited to IR only with my Harmony ..

Yeah I guess that would be the alternative to create 2-3 different activities .. I'm hoping in time a better solution will come forth somehow ..
post #19 of 32 Old 12-25-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadka View Post
Hippo Remote is that app I assume you're talking about .. Well I intend to keep everything limited to IR only with my Harmony ..

Yeah I guess that would be the alternative to create 2-3 different activities .. I'm hoping in time a better solution will come forth somehow ..
On Harmony, the only other option is to add all possible commands for all apps to a single activity. That would be very awkward to use and would require lots of paging through screens. Why are multiple activities unacceptable? It's a very simple and practical solution. In the past, I've had nearly 30 activities on my Harmony for every combination and permutation of devices, apps and settings.
post #20 of 32 Old 12-25-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

In my search for another remote with missing standard DVD controls, am looking at this http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-RRC-1...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Reviewier Jack Watson has a DIY registry mapping thingy. It probably won't be intelligent, you hit the said remote button, it will always output the same kbd code no matter what your pc is doing. But FREE, simple, and no bloatware to load. Be sure to save your registry first in case you mess up.
post #21 of 32 Old 12-25-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
In my search for another remote with missing standard DVD controls, am looking at this http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-RRC-1...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Reviewier Jack Watson has a DIY registry mapping thingy. It probably won't be intelligent, you hit the said remote button, it will always output the same kbd code no matter what your pc is doing. But FREE, simple, and no bloatware to load. Be sure to save your registry first in case you mess up.
I have one of those I don't use. If you're interested in a deal, PM me. Of course all MCE codes are known and can be added to many universal remotes. What controls are missing from yours that you see on this one?
post #22 of 32 Old 12-25-2014, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have one of those I don't use. If you're interested in a deal, PM me. Of course all MCE codes are known and can be added to many universal remotes. What controls are missing from yours that you see on this one?
I need Subtitle, Root Menu, Title Menu, Language. If you have the Pronto codes that would even be better because I download everything to my Pronto universal. TIA.
post #23 of 32 Old 12-25-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
I need Subtitle, Root Menu, Title Menu, Language. If you have the Pronto codes that would even be better because I download everything to my Pronto universal. TIA.
I found Subtitle and DVD Menu in the list below (section 8), for which I can calculate the pronto hex tomorrow:
http://kodi.wiki/view/Using_a_Micros...rol_in_Windows

"Menu" is most likely root or title, not sure which since I have no MCE devices that play discs. So test that one with your existing remote to verify which is which. Not sure if the other ones exists as a discrete code.

Here's one DVD Menu code to test for now:
Code:
0000 0072 0000 0020 0060 0021 0010 0011 0010 0011 0010 0021 0010 0021 0030 0021 0010 0011 0010 0011 0010 0011 0010 0011 0010 0011 0010 0011 0010 0011 0010 0011 0010 0011 0010 0011 0020 0011 0010 0011 0010 0011 0010 0021 0010 0011 0020 0011 0010 0021 0020 0021 0010 0011 0010 0011 0010 0011 0020 0021 0010 0011 0020 0021 0010 0011 0010 09C6
EDIT: Sorry, disregard all of the above. I just noticed your other thread where you said you had an Ortek. No other codes for Ortek exist besides those on the remote. MCE/RC6 codes won't work, as I've been trying to explain to the OP. Also, that remote you posted won't work with your Ortek dongle at all.

Last edited by mdavej; 12-25-2014 at 10:18 PM.
post #24 of 32 Old 12-26-2014, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Not exactly sure what was discussed in the above few posts, but are you implying that MCE remotes can have different set of buttons ? That is, some remotes might not have certain buttons, such as a subtitles button, etc., which others might not have ?

If that is the case, does this remote have more buttons than this one ?

And can I add the missing actions if I intend on using Harmony ?

Last edited by ahmadka; 12-27-2014 at 09:10 AM.
post #25 of 32 Old 12-26-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
EDIT: Sorry, disregard all of the above. I just noticed your other thread where you said you had an Ortek. No other codes for Ortek exist besides those on the remote. MCE/RC6 codes won't work, as I've been trying to explain to the OP. Also, that remote you posted won't work with your Ortek dongle at all.
Thanks for looking up. Like the other thread says, I am not married to the Ortek. Found THIS ONE, Rosewill RRC-126, got DVD Menu (Root or Title don't know), Audio (same as language I assume), Subtitle (yes!) buttons. 3 out of the 4 buttons I want, getting closer.
post #26 of 32 Old 12-27-2014, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Can someone answer my question two posts above ?
post #27 of 32 Old 12-27-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Not exactly sure what was discussed in the above few posts, but are you implying that MCE remotes can have different set of buttons ? That is, some remotes might not have certain buttons, such as a subtitles button, etc., which others might not have ?

If that is the case, does this remote have more buttons than this one ?

And can I add the missing actions if I intend on using Harmony ?
Maybe. Look at the buttons for yourself. Some remotes have a few functions more than others. Harmony already has all MCE functions, so it doesn't matter. There's nothing to add. If you're using Flirc, you aren't even using MCE anymore, so it really doesn't matter. If you continue to use Ortek, then you get what's on the original Sanoxy remote, no more, no less. The poster that asked this question doesn't use Harmony, so needs to get the additional codes elsewhere.

Are you even planning to play physical DVDs from within WMC? Why would you need DVD functions? Subtitle and language don't even work in WMC for live/recorded TV anyway. You need macros for that (which are very simple).

I would imagine the number of people who still play physical discs in WMC is very, very small. Most people who use an HTPC have already ripped all their discs and don't play physical discs at all, or at least play them on a different device.
post #28 of 32 Old 12-27-2014, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Maybe. Look at the buttons for yourself. Some remotes have a few functions more than others. Harmony already has all MCE functions, so it doesn't matter. There's nothing to add. If you're using Flirc, you aren't even using MCE anymore, so it really doesn't matter. If you continue to use Ortek, then you get what's on the original Sanoxy remote, no more, no less. The poster that asked this question doesn't use Harmony, so needs to get the additional codes elsewhere.

Are you even planning to play physical DVDs from within WMC? Why would you need DVD functions? Subtitle and language don't even work in WMC for live/recorded TV anyway. You need macros for that (which are very simple).

I would imagine the number of people who still play physical discs in WMC is very, very small. Most people who use an HTPC have already ripped all their discs and don't play physical discs at all, or at least play them on a different device.
Thanks for clarifying. Well I firstly don't intend to play DVDs, only Blu-rays (in TMT/PowerDVD/WinDVD) and MKV/AVI/related files (in MPC). As Subtitle and Menu buttons were being discussed, I thought it might be relevant to me as Blu-rays require similar buttons.

I have a Harmony 650, but don't have any IR receiver/remote yet, but I'm considering getting the HP IR receiver. Will that IR receiver be compatible will all these extra buttons, which assist in Blu-ray playback (e.g. Top Menu, Subtitle, Audio Language, etc.) ?

Also, I don't use WMC normally (haven't used it in years!), have never been interested in recording TV, etc., or doing anything for which WMC would be the recommended player.
post #29 of 32 Old 12-27-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
I have a Harmony 650, but don't have any IR receiver/remote yet, but I'm considering getting the HP IR receiver. Will that IR receiver be compatible will all these extra buttons, which assist in Blu-ray playback (e.g. Top Menu, Subtitle, Audio Language, etc.) ?
If you're not using any middleware to remap buttons/controls, it all depends on software. Some software responds to certain commands differently or doesn't do anything at all with some button presses. I'm pretty sure PDVD and TMT (for example) had slight differences. Also though my HP remote has an eject button I've never gotten it to work in any software including just plain Windows Explorer or WMC (native Windows). Seems that command was a proprietary HP command, probably for some of their own bundled software/middleware on their machines which actually came with a remote I'm guessing.

My advice is to just get the receiver (it's not expensive) and then experiment/fiddle around and see what you get on which program. If you still have stuff you need to do with the remote but can't get working, then consider some kind of middleware software to handle those commands and turn them into program functions via hotkey interface or whatever. Note that programs like PDVD also have iPhone/Android apps for network control, so you might find that easier to use (or not).
post #30 of 32 Old 12-27-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying. Well I firstly don't intend to play DVDs, only Blu-rays (in TMT/PowerDVD/WinDVD) and MKV/AVI/related files (in MPC). As Subtitle and Menu buttons were being discussed, I thought it might be relevant to me as Blu-rays require similar buttons.

Also, I don't use WMC normally (haven't used it in years!), have never been interested in recording TV, etc., or doing anything for which WMC would be the recommended player.
I wouldn't recommend playing bluray on your PC, but that's your call. Software tends to be more expensive than a stand-alone player and doesn't work very well. I have no idea what remote commands are compatible with that other software you mentioned. You'll just have to try it and see. I think you'll find they don't support many remote commands at all.

So are you planning to use an HP (MCE) receiver or the Flirc one you ordered? Each works completely different.

If you're not doing live/recorded TV or WMC, I'm starting to wonder why you even need a PC at all. Seems like a little android box with XBMC would work just as well. Then use a standalone player for discs and streaming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page