HTPC w/ iTunes + ATV (looking for suggestions) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-28-2015, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HTPC w/ iTunes + ATV (looking for suggestions)

Hello all,

Our household is a mixture of OSs and devices; Mac, Windows, Android, iOS - and I spent a good long while ripping my DVD/BLU collection to MP4 files for use with my Roku, Apple TV & tablets (mostly iPads) while on-the-go. I also have a significant amount of purchased Apple content that I relay from a Win7 PC to the ATV.

Previously I had all the rip'd content on one PC slinging to the Roku and all the Apple content hosted on another PC slinging content to the ATV; however my wife wants me to consolidate all of our digitized content for use with the ATV, which she is much more comfortable using - which will be fine as long as all the digital content fits on my 4Tb drive; however as my digitized content grows space could be an issue.

Here is a short list of what I currently have available that could be used to start an HTPC to sling content hosted in iTunes to the ATV.

Mac mini (don't recall the model/year offhand)
Win 7 laptop
Win 7 desktop
Various external hard drives; including 2 X 4Tb external hard drives (1 currently with about 3Tb of content & the other brand-new in box).

What I'm really looking for is suggestions regarding expand-ability and redundancy...

How do I utilize my currently available equipment (either WinPC or Mac mini) running iTunes and yet retain the ability to easily expand storage (preferably external drives) and provide some level or redundancy.

I'm thinking if I upgrade a WinPC to Win8, setup 3X external drives as a Win Storage Space (w/redundancy) and point iTunes to the Storage Space I can pretty much accomplish what I am looking to do (let me know if I am mistaken). However, the one major downside with Win Storage Space does not (from what I have read) re-balance the stored files when a new drive is added to the space and I'd effectively need to purchase 2 more external drives for the initial setup.

Unfortunately, although I do own a Mac mini I have not used it that much and I'm not sure how a similar setup could be accomplished under OSX.

Any suggestions as regards to possible setups that would utilize iTunes + ATV with an emphasis on expandability?

Thanks in advance for any help and assistance

Last edited by AZBrowncoat; 02-28-2015 at 10:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-28-2015, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did find another thread with this - thinking Drive Bender might be a viable alternative to Win Drive Spaces?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
For media storage RAID might be overkill. You might find that a parity an/or pooling solution will better fit your needs.

This is a good place to start looking: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-hom...l#post27269994

It is a comparison chart of various storage options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page