*Official* Nvidia Shield Console - HTPC discussion - Page 137 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 785Likes

post #4081 of 5353 Old 05-13-2017, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 85
My wife and I own this Samsung slim, portable BD reader/writer which still works great:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2402405,00.asp

It is powered by a USB cable which has a "Y" connector where it plugs into two USB ports on our PC.

I can't find any reference to whether the USB ports on the Shield are "powered", so my two questions are simple.

1. Can this drive be powered by the two USB ports on the Shield?

2. If it can, will the Shield play back "naked" m2ts files (that are not contained within any folders)?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4082 of 5353 Old 05-13-2017, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herve View Post
My wife and I own this Samsung slim, portable BD reader/writer which still works great:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2402405,00.asp

It is powered by a USB cable which has a "Y" connector where it plugs into two USB ports on our PC.

I can't find any reference to whether the USB ports on the Shield are "powered", so my two questions are simple.

1. Can this drive be powered by the two USB ports on the Shield?

2. If it can, will the Shield play back "naked" m2ts files (that are not contained within any folders)?

Thanks.
I don't believe Android has the ability to mount optical media, so no.
post #4083 of 5353 Old 05-13-2017, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

ajhieb, would this app allow the drive to be mounted in the Shield?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...bmounter&hl=en

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4084 of 5353 Old 05-13-2017, 03:54 PM

I've never tried it. It may work, but I suspect you can read the files within the app, but not sure if it will allow the OS (and other apps) to see the contents, and play them.
post #4085 of 5353 Old 05-13-2017, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2400 Post(s)
Liked: 931
Anyone find or know the best airplay server to run on the shield? There are 10000 of them on the store. Ideally it would be. A service and just run so we could fling photos or music to the shield and not have to use AllCast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DocACE911 on Steam, XBOX, PS4
"Kill Cancer or Die"
Custom Z9 Game Settings For SDR and HDR
Sony 75" Z9, Denon X4200, Definitive Technologies BP7002 + 9.1 ATMOS, PSV 18" sub
Loving Wife and 4 year old Son who tolerate this expense!
post #4086 of 5353 Old 05-13-2017, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post
Anyone find or know the best airplay server to run on the shield? There are 10000 of them on the store. Ideally it would be. A service and just run so we could fling photos or music to the shield and not have to use AllCast

Google music and Google photos is certainly the easiest, both work on iOS with cast built-in
post #4087 of 5353 Old 05-13-2017, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
Google music and Google photos is certainly the easiest, both work on iOS with cast built-in

Yes but looking for airplay server to.run on the shield so can use ANY native iOS app that supports airplay.

"Kill Cancer or Die"
Sony 75" Z9, Denon X4200, Definitive Technologies BP7002 + 9.1 ATMOS, PSV 18" sub
post #4088 of 5353 Old 05-13-2017, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I posted this in the Sony A1E owners thread but it may find value here as well. For those of you using NVidia Shield Android TV (SATV) to an A1E for 1080p 1:1 Blu-Ray streaming via SPMC here are the recommended settings to ensure the optimum PQ [Most of the SPMC settings are from Koying, the SPMC developer, while the A1E settings are from my calibrated unit]

Spoiler!
beerhunt likes this.

Sony A1E OLED 4K Ultra HD (Calibrated Cinema Pro / Cinema Home / HDR) - LG UP970 UHD Player
NVidia Shield Pro (2015) - Chromecast Ultra
PS4 Pro 1TB - 30TB NFS Share Over LAN (Win7 HaneWin)
SANUS VLF525-B1 Wall Mount
post #4089 of 5353 Old 05-14-2017, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Yes, optical drives can be connected to SHIELD for use. No, it's not as simple as that. Some drives work via USB-OTG with no effort, some drives work with software installed for USB-OTG use, and others won't work at all.

post #4090 of 5353 Old 05-16-2017, 05:07 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry if this has already been answered:

Does anyone know where the "Photos & Movies" app searches for content? I know it links back to the "Gallery" app. However, I found pictures and documents that were never accessed on the Shield included in the app (like company logo files from my PC on the same network).

It's not a huge issue, but this was the first time I noticed these additional pics in the app.
post #4091 of 5353 Old 05-17-2017, 04:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhalmo View Post
I posted this in the Sony A1E owners thread but it may find value here as well. For those of you using NVidia Shield Android TV (SATV) to an A1E for 1080p 1:1 Blu-Ray streaming via SPMC here are the recommended settings to ensure the optimum PQ [Most of the SPMC settings are from Koying, the SPMC developer, while the A1E settings are from my calibrated unit]

Spoiler!
With Mediacodec Surface off you lose HDR. Maybe it is fixed now I have not checked. Wont matter for most.
post #4092 of 5353 Old 05-17-2017, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Probaby a dumb question,

How can I remove the shortcuts on the homescreen without uninstalling/disabling the app ? Seems like a simple enough thing.

For instance, the plex app, I don't use it but disabling it prevents file sharing with PC. So I just want it off the screen so the kids don't mess with it.
Same thing with my emulators, I have arc browser to launch all the emus, so I don't need or want all the emu's listed individually on the homescreen.

Any solution to this besides rooting ?
post #4093 of 5353 Old 05-17-2017, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOne88 View Post
With Mediacodec Surface off you lose HDR. Maybe it is fixed now I have not checked. Wont matter for most.

The first statement of my Spoiler is essentially stating this same fact. I think that's being worked on in Kodi 18 which I expect SPMC to adopt.

Sony A1E OLED 4K Ultra HD (Calibrated Cinema Pro / Cinema Home / HDR) - LG UP970 UHD Player
NVidia Shield Pro (2015) - Chromecast Ultra
PS4 Pro 1TB - 30TB NFS Share Over LAN (Win7 HaneWin)
SANUS VLF525-B1 Wall Mount
post #4094 of 5353 Old 05-18-2017, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked: 750
New home screen for Oreo previewed...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UehN...M#action=share

Not sure what I think. Not sure I know enough to know how I should think, for that matter... just "FYI".
post #4095 of 5353 Old 05-20-2017, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sorry if this has been asked before.

I'm seriously considering buying a Shield as perhaps one of two sources (a new "HT"PC or laptop being the other) for a 32" LG 4K monitor that I intend to buy as soon as it comes on the market in mid-June.

I have a lot of rather large 1080p m2ts files on BD R disks (only one file on each disk). What I'd like to be able to do is insert one of those disks in our XPS computer's BD drive and, rather than first copy that file to a "video" or "movie" folder on the PC's hard drive, have the Shield read and stream that file directly from the BD drive to the new remote display to which the Shield is connected.

My question is simple (but I've got to make it really wordy). Can a wire-LAN-connected Shield stream (perhaps using VLC-for-Android as the streamer) an m2ts file that is located on a disk in an internal BD drive located inside a wire-LAN-connected Win 10 PC to a display to which the Shield is connected? (Put differently, does the Shield have software than can "dig around" inside a LAN pc and find that BD drive and stream an m2ts from it?)

Thanks.

Last edited by Herve; 05-20-2017 at 11:24 AM.
post #4096 of 5353 Old 05-20-2017, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:

I'm seriously considering buying a Shield as perhaps one of two sources (a new "HT"PC or laptop being the other) for a 32" LG 4K monitor that I intend to buy as soon as it comes on the market in mid-June.

I have a lot of rather large 1080p m2ts files on BD R disks (only one file on each disk). What I'd like to be able to do is insert one of those disks in our XPS computer's BD drive and, rather than first copy that file to a "video" or "movie" folder on the PC's hard drive, have the Shield read and stream that file directly from the BD drive to the new remote display to which the Shield is connected.

My question is simple (but I've got to make it really wordy). Can a wire-LAN-connected Shield stream (perhaps using VLC-for-Android as the streamer) an m2ts file that is located on a disk in an internal BD drive located inside a wire-LAN-connected Win 10 PC to a display to which the Shield is connected? (Put differently, does the Shield have software than can "dig around" inside a LAN pc and find that BD drive and stream an m2ts from it?)

Thanks.
Unless I'm missing something obvious, if you shared your optical drive on the network, that share is no different than file shares. If you have a disk in there, it'll show the files, otherwise no files.

post #4097 of 5353 Old 05-20-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:

Thanks.
As noted above, yes you can. I have a BD-ROM drive shared on my network, and I just added it as a file source in SPMC and I can play files on any SPMC device on the network that way.
post #4098 of 5353 Old 05-20-2017, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post
Unless I'm missing something obvious, if you shared your optical drive on the network, that share is no different than file shares. If you have a disk in there, it'll show the files, otherwise no files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
As noted above, yes you can. I have a BD-ROM drive shared on my network, and I just added it as a file source in SPMC and I can play files on any SPMC device on the network that way.
Thanks very much. As you can see, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to networking and sharing files. Your information makes it virtually certain that we'll soon have a shield.

Thanks again.
post #4099 of 5353 Old 05-20-2017, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Quote:
Thanks very much. As you can see, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to networking and sharing files. Your information makes it virtually certain that we'll soon have a shield.

Thanks again.
There is a precaution here that I hope you understand

If you just share a BD-ROM on your network, and you pop a normal Blu-Ray in there it won't play normally on anything including SPMC or OpenELEC, etc. There are 2 ways around this. Patching in libaacs to OE, which I don't even believe is up to date anymore with current AACS. The other way around is an old version of AnyDVD from either slysoft or redfox. Slysoft had legal issues, shutdown, returned, etc. Their old product didn't phone home for anything other than new AACS updates, so it would be hit or miss on which disks work in such a setup. The new offering from redfox may stay pretty updated. Not sure what the new PowerDVD does with a BD inside a BD-ROM. It may also decrypt what you need to view it. One final alternative along the same lines as these commercial offerings is MakeMKV. With this in place you have to run into advanced settings of makemkv and review the "server" option it creates and share that path on your network. It probably stays the most updated but sharing is not as straightforward

None of this matters if you just want to view unencrypted video files that have been burned to a blu-ray disc, but I don't think many people are doing that these days except possibly photographers
post #4100 of 5353 Old 05-20-2017, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There is a precaution here that I hope you understand

If you just share a BD-ROM on your network, and you pop a normal Blu-Ray in there it won't play normally on anything including SPMC or OpenELEC, etc. There are 2 ways around this. Patching in libaacs to OE, which I don't even believe is up to date anymore with current AACS. The other way around is an old version of AnyDVD from either slysoft or redfox. Slysoft had legal issues, shutdown, returned, etc. Their old product didn't phone home for anything other than new AACS updates, so it would be hit or miss on which disks work in such a setup. The new offering from redfox may stay pretty updated. Not sure what the new PowerDVD does with a BD inside a BD-ROM. It may also decrypt what you need to view it. One final alternative along the same lines as these commercial offerings is MakeMKV. With this in place you have to run into advanced settings of makemkv and review the "server" option it creates and share that path on your network. It probably stays the most updated but sharing is not as straightforward

None of this matters if you just want to view unencrypted video files that have been burned to a blu-ray disc, but I don't think many people are doing that these days except possibly photographers
Thanks!

I guess I'm stuck in the past. I have tons of photo and video files on DVD and BD disks and on hard drives that can be put into USB docking stations that can then be connected to the USB ports on our computers or even our Sam K8500 UHD BD players. Knowing that I can just pop them into our PC's BD drive eliminates some inconvenience.

Thanks again.
post #4101 of 5353 Old 05-20-2017, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Showtime is offering a 30-day trial free. You can cancel after sign up and still watch for 30 days.
http://www.showtime.com/

I can't get the Sheild app to work. After I sign in, I get a message that says:
"Signed out. Please login to use the SHOWTIME app."

Works fine on other devices like Roku and TV app.
Tried signing out of all devices. Always get signed out after signing in.

Does anyone use Showtime app?
post #4102 of 5353 Old 05-21-2017, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwizz View Post
Showtime is offering a 30-day trial free. You can cancel after sign up and still watch for 30 days.
http://www.showtime.com/

I can't get the Sheild app to work. After I sign in, I get a message that says:
"Signed out. Please login to use the SHOWTIME app."

Works fine on other devices like Roku and TV app.
Tried signing out of all devices. Always get signed out after signing in.

Does anyone use Showtime app?
I have the Showtime "channel" through the Amazon app.

I don't like the interface as much, but it is $2 a month cheaper AND supports DD 5.1.
post #4103 of 5353 Old 05-21-2017, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
I have the Showtime "channel" through the Amazon app.

I don't like the interface as much, but it is $2 a month cheaper AND supports DD 5.1.
Thanks!
Well, I just got working.
I guess all I needed to do was update android system webview. I knew there was an update for that yesterday. Didn't think it would matter.

Edit:
Showtime app not in DD on Sheild WTF. DD+ on Roku.

Last edited by doctorwizz; 05-21-2017 at 06:55 AM.
post #4104 of 5353 Old 05-21-2017, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hey everyone, I recently purchased a couple of shields as my firetv was meeting my expectations for video playback. I mostly wanted the ability to bitstream HD audio. From what I understood the shield was the best streamer on the market and the newest version of Kodi v17+ allowed the playback of such audio. My knowledge of Kodi is minimal but I have set the device to be able to bitstream and I set marked that I had a HD capable receiver. When I playback an HD audio source no sound comes out of my speakers. However once I select any other audio format the sound comes right on. I read earlier in the thread that SPMC is capable as well. So is Kodi capable of HD audio if it is not a Shield device and SPMC is capable on the Nvidia shield?

Update: Went ahead and installed SPMC and HD audio worked right off the bat. Then I went into Kodi and started up that same movie and now the HD Audio works there as well. Not sure if the shutdown and restart of Kodi made the audio work or the install of SPMC enabled something in Kodi. Will test further on my other Shield to see what should be true.

Update: Yeah, Looks like a restart of Kodi made the HD Audio work. Just letting everyone know.
beerhunt likes this.

TV: 75XBR940E

PSN ID: Onedropshot

Last edited by TViewer2000; 05-22-2017 at 12:05 PM. Reason: HD Audio now works
post #4105 of 5353 Old 05-21-2017, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Currently use a Intel NUC with the i5, a USB powered wireless keyboard and mouse, and a Vizio P65 as my monitor. My main app is just Chrome browser. The limitation is that the NUC can only output 4k at 30fps when viewing the Chrome browser / windows 10 screen.

Would a Nvidia shield be a good replacement for me? I read where I can sideload the Chrome .apk to get the browser working on it. Would I be able to use the wireless mouse and keyboard on the shield? And would the output to the Vizio P65 be at 4k 60fps?

Thanks!

Main: Sony 75XBR900F
Bedroom: Sony 65XBR900E
Desktop: Sony 49XBR900E

Retired Units: Vizio P65-F, Vizio M653DSV, Samsung UN40KU6290
post #4106 of 5353 Old 05-21-2017, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtexan999 View Post
Currently use a Intel NUC with the i5, a USB powered wireless keyboard and mouse, and a Vizio P65 as my monitor. My main app is just Chrome browser. The limitation is that the NUC can only output 4k at 30fps when viewing the Chrome browser / windows 10 screen.

Would a Nvidia shield be a good replacement for me? I read where I can sideload the Chrome .apk to get the browser working on it. Would I be able to use the wireless mouse and keyboard on the shield? And would the output to the Vizio P65 be at 4k 60fps?

Thanks!

Yes to all the above

"Kill Cancer or Die"
post #4107 of 5353 Old 05-26-2017, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ungraphic View Post
That's because Kodi is one of the worst executed applications known to man. Setup for it, even for tech savvy people is a nightmare. I looked into getting it on my desktop (a Hackintosh I built myself), it's convoluted beyond belief. But even when you try and look up tutorials/instructions, they're mostly spam links and when you do land on a step by step guide, half the steps are missing because for whatever reason, whoever wrote the guide assumes you're semi savvy with Kodi already.

Plex is by FAR superior to Kodi.
I agree 100% with this statement. Kodi is a mess and all those streaming repos are also a mess.
post #4108 of 5353 Old 05-26-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmeat View Post
So I just thought of a question. I have 4 TV's in my house, and I have purchased 1 Shield Pro and 3 Apple TV's.

Is there any benefit to having them all be a Shield?
only if your other TVs are 4k and the people consuming the media cares for 4k
post #4109 of 5353 Old 05-26-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
spmc
what benefits does SPMC have over kodi?
post #4110 of 5353 Old 05-26-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranova View Post
what benefits does SPMC have over kodi?
It's Android specific, and optimized for the Shield. (It still runs well on other ARM devices though) It has support for HDR and Bitstreaming HD audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page