*Official* Nvidia Shield Console - HTPC discussion - Page 138 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 766Likes

post #4111 of 5217 Old 05-26-2017, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
It's Android specific, and optimized for the Shield. (It still runs well on other ARM devices though) It has support for HDR and Bitstreaming HD audio.
thanks. Is it still better than Kodi V17 which introduced passthrough? I believe HDR is working as it states HDR10 is being used on my vizio p65
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4112 of 5217 Old 05-26-2017, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 69
If the following is deemed by moderators to be too close to "price talk", I apologize and please delete this comment.

Does nvidia have "sales" on either of the two Shield consoles and, if so, is there a typical time when this occurs and is the savings at that time substantial or inconsequential compared to the everyday price?

Thanks.
post #4113 of 5217 Old 05-26-2017, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Liked: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herve View Post
If the following is deemed by moderators to be too close to "price talk", I apologize and please delete this comment.

Does nvidia have "sales" on either of the two Shield consoles and, if so, is there a typical time when this occurs and is the savings at that time substantial or inconsequential compared to the everyday price?

Thanks.

Black Friday was a good deal - look back. Never seen the old model with remote for under 3 digits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DocACE911 on Steam, XBOX, PS4
"Kill Cancer or Die"
Custom Z9 Game Settings For SDR and HDR
Sony 75" Z9, Denon X4200, Definitive Technologies BP7002 + 9.1 ATMOS, PSV 18" sub
Loving Wife and 4 year old Son who tolerate this expense!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4114 of 5217 Old 05-26-2017, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranova View Post
thanks. Is it still better than Kodi V17 which introduced passthrough? I believe HDR is working as it states HDR10 is being used on my vizio p65
I've never used Kodi (17 or otherwise) on the Shield, so I couldn't say.
post #4115 of 5217 Old 05-26-2017, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Quote:
SPMC has had surface rendering for quite some time, haven't heard anything about Kodi adding it properly for the shield. SPMC also adds recommendations to the front page and allows for Android voice search of the library items.

Even if it was at feature parity I'll continue to support the better developer (SPMC) until he changes focus
ajhieb likes this.
post #4116 of 5217 Old 05-28-2017, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
If your media is on a Plex server and you have an Amazon Echo or Echo Dot, you can use voice commands to view your media through SPMC. To my knowledge you can't do that with Kodi.
post #4117 of 5217 Old 06-11-2017, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 30

the 5.2 update is now in progress....n the Geforce forums there are a few problems reported with folks....what else is new!
post #4118 of 5217 Old 06-12-2017, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerhunt View Post

the 5.2 update is now in progress....n the Geforce forums there are a few problems reported with folks....what else is new!

If the release was perfect and 100% bug free there would still be problems reported on Internet forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4119 of 5217 Old 06-12-2017, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Update installation was solid. Tried the Plex Live TV/DVR, and immediately went back to Android Live TV. Was not impressed at all.
post #4120 of 5217 Old 06-12-2017, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post
If the release was perfect and 100% bug free there would still be problems reported on Internet forums.
But for today it is infinitely far from perfect and 100% bug free. So reporting them is a good thing.
post #4121 of 5217 Old 06-12-2017, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgorZep View Post
But for today it is infinitely far from perfect and 100% bug free. So reporting them is a good thing.
So it has an infinite number of bugs?

No issues here on any of my three.
post #4122 of 5217 Old 06-12-2017, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
So it has an infinite number of bugs?
No, but it will take an infinite time to fix them all...

Quote:
No issues here on any of my three.
No complaints from you is not the same as no issues on your devices.

Video decoding/processing if far from perfect for example.
post #4123 of 5217 Old 06-12-2017, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgorZep View Post
No, but it will take an infinite time to fix them all...

No complaints from you is not the same as no issues on your devices.

Video decoding/processing if far from perfect for example.
Windows 7 has been out for how long? And yes it still has bugs. This "infinite time" is true for just about anything.

I have no video decoding/processing issues on mine, but maybe my Panasonic 65VT60 is too crappy to make them obvious. :P
post #4124 of 5217 Old 06-12-2017, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Windows 7 has been out for how long? And yes it still has bugs. This "infinite time" is true for just about anything.
Yes it is, but Windows 7 (or whatever version) at least covers the basic core scenarios precisely and very stable.

Quote:
I have no video decoding/processing issues on mine, but maybe my Panasonic 65VT60 is too crappy to make them obvious. :P
You just haven't tested or checked it enough. The fact that it outputs something that looks like a video doesn't mean it outputs it true to the source. Even running a few basic test video patterns exposes enough problems spottable by just the eye.
post #4125 of 5217 Old 06-12-2017, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It looks very good to our eyes. I could pick apart anything I own, but where is the fun in that? For example, I know a lot about wine, but the downside is that it makes me not like a lot of wines that the masses are perfectly happy with. I have no desire to pick apart my video on my Shield, because pretty much every time I watch a movie, I'm still floored by the picture on my VT60, and with the Shield as the source it is related.
groove93 likes this.
post #4126 of 5217 Old 06-12-2017, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Always remember: If it isn't perfect, it's infinitely flawed.
post #4127 of 5217 Old 06-14-2017, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey guys,
I have an annoying volume control problem during commercials with shield live channels app. I know the problem is the commercials and not my Shield, receiver or tv. But I could've sworn there was a setting for this somewhere ... Does shield have a setting somewhere to equalize the sudden loudness or is there usually a setting on the tv or receiver ?

thxs, WAF is low because of this !
post #4128 of 5217 Old 06-14-2017, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
Update installation was solid. Tried the Plex Live TV/DVR, and immediately went back to Android Live TV. Was not impressed at all.
I think the Plex Live TV Guide needs to transform into a normal TV Guide, this system has been around for decades and everyone knows it and it works really well. I assume Plex will get there one day. That said even Android Live TV has issues, its DVR is not as capable as Plex's. It cant't detect new shows or ones that have been recorded before. So for me I use Android Live TV for watching Live TV usually, where I want a guide. If I need to I can click record for recording once. But if I want to schedule recordings I always do that in Plex now, just works much better.
post #4129 of 5217 Old 06-14-2017, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked: 533
The only shortcoming for me regarding Android Live TV is the inability to share media on multiple devices, whereas this is Plex's strong point. DVR through Android Live TV has been solid with no missed programs. The categorizing of content needs to be fixed where some comedies are labeled as dramas, but this service is still in Beta.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Last edited by groove93; 06-14-2017 at 04:54 PM.
post #4130 of 5217 Old 06-19-2017, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I just updated​ Plex to the newest version. I'm having a problem though. The Alphabet search bar to the right is gone. Has anyone else's disappeared as well.

I have attached a picture for reference. It's the feature on the right.

Kind of frustrating to browse over a thousand titles without it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-block-nvidia-shield-2-1600x943.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	2194921  
post #4131 of 5217 Old 06-29-2017, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Well guys my shield actually arrived (a few days earlier than expected).

However, unless there is some trick I have missed, very disappointed.

Not much of a gamer (though did download Oddball Munch's Odyssey just to see what it was like – seemed comparable to what I had seen on my sons' X-Boxes and Playstations.

My main aim (apart from Netflix, which works fine) was streaming my local media. Mainly music files. Have a whole bunch of flac files ripped from my own CDs and DVD-As.

It is the latter (hi-res 96/24 5.1 surround DVD-A rips) that are a miserable failure!!

None of them will play properly (I have tried Kodi, MX Player, VLC). They are all reduced to 48K playback sometimes still in surround, sometimes only showing as stereo. Although one 96k surround did, at one point, get converted to Stereo 192K!!!! (or was that a audio-only blu-ray rip originally in DTS MA 96k?? It is all a bit of a blur, after days of going through the same tryouts over and over)

It did play my one stereo hi-res file correctly at 176 (or 172 or whatever it was).

I have tried playing with Passthrough on, and Passthrough off. I have (with passthrough on) set my receiver to being capable of all the hi-res and lossless formats (DTS-MA and Dolby True HD – although I recognise none of these are relevant to playing flac files) and did set my receiver limit to 192K capable in the Kodi audio settings.

My one main win over my Oppo blu-ray player being used as a local media streamer was being able to create ISO files of my concert DVDs and play them back with full "disc" menu support. Looks like it is back to using my Oppo for local music streaming, with the Shield being used almost exclusively for Netflix and replaying of my concert DVD iso files.

I had read in this and other forums that while hi-res audio files were playable, that there were some occassional glitches, but this experience has been total failure, hi-res music-wise.

Regretting the $AU300 outlay now, wished I had stuck to continuing to use my Oppo for music (even without ISO playback capability) and my Fetch TV box for Netflix.

Oh, and somehow I cannot get plex going at all. (Cannot "find my server"?)
post #4132 of 5217 Old 06-29-2017, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My wife and I are thinking about cutting the cord, but we would like to be able to record local and national news each day and skip through those G. D. commercials that we would have to endure if we connected our HDTV antenna directly to the TV.

Please forgive me if this has been asked before. Has anybody tried this and, if so, what do you think of it, particularly its PQ compared to live viewing?
https://www.tablotv.com/products/tablo-engine-dvr-app/

Thanks.
post #4133 of 5217 Old 06-29-2017, 10:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herve View Post
My wife and I are thinking about cutting the cord, but we would like to be able to record local and national news each day and skip through those G. D. commercials that we would have to endure if we connected our HDTV antenna directly to the TV.

Please forgive me if this has been asked before. Has anybody tried this and, if so, what do you think of it, particularly its PQ compared to live viewing?
https://www.tablotv.com/products/tablo-engine-dvr-app/

Thanks.
Picture Quality should be identical to live viewing. Just get a Homerun and use the built in Google Live Channels DVR
post #4134 of 5217 Old 06-30-2017, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post
Picture Quality should be identical to live viewing. Just get a Homerun and use the built in Google Live Channels DVR
Thanks for the advice about HR and GLC.

Is HR+GLC DVR available for Canadians? If it isn't, that's a deal-breaker for me and my wife right off the bat.

I'm wondering which option is less expensive over the long haul. Even if we pay the Tablo's $5/month guide-subscription fee, if we cut the cable, we could subscribe to 2 or more other streaming services that we'd use a helluva lot more than the cable. But a little voice keeps telling me that that subscription rate will increase forever.

Does/will the HR+Google Live Channels DVR require a guide-subscription fee? How well does this system work? Does the Shield Pro's HDD record the shows, or does an external HDD have to be somehow connected to the router (and, if so, how)?

Thanks.
post #4135 of 5217 Old 06-30-2017, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madaudio View Post
WOh, and somehow I cannot get plex going at all. (Cannot "find my server"?)
Do you have a Plex server set up somewhere?
post #4136 of 5217 Old 06-30-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Do you have a Plex server set up somewhere?
When launching the Plex icon on the shield, I get to this screen:

I click NEXT and I get a screen telling me to go to https://plex.tv.link and enter a 4-character code.

But whenever I go to that url, I am asked to sign in - there is nowhere on the screen to enter that code: just a normal sign-up screen asking for usual login: username or email, and password.

I have, in fact, created a plex account from my pc. And even sign in. No help when trying to get plex going on my Shield. Oh. Also, on my shield, vie Set and apps, found both plex media server and plex. logged into google play store and was able to update one of these but the other did not seem to need updating.

Last edited by madaudio; 07-01-2017 at 12:22 AM.
post #4137 of 5217 Old 07-01-2017, 03:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Liked: 789
I assume you mistyped the address in your post. It is plex.tv/link not .link.

After you sign in with your account info it should ask for the code. Then it will link Plex on your device to your account. They use the same method for other devices, not just the Shield.

post #4138 of 5217 Old 07-01-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
I assume you mistyped the address in your post. It is plex.tv/link not .link.

After you sign in with your account info it should ask for the code. Then it will link Plex on your device to your account. They use the same method for other devices, not just the Shield.
Yes, the miss-ype was in my post, I made sure that it was correct when actually going there - I must have, because I always ended up in plex.

But now I have managed to get a little further. Maybe my sequence of steps was wrong before, but I did get in, I was asked for the link code, gave it, and went through a series of steps of plex info screens.

But how to direct plex to my media files, which are on a hard drive plugged into my router? Got it to work in Kodi. Also was able to access directly by using VLC.

Some more searching found reference to a "plex web app". Is this something else again over and above the Plex Server App and the Plex App?

I must say that this whole library creation process seems unnecessarily complicated, and for my purposes, complete overkill Metadata,album covers, etc is nice, but all the effort to produce such complicated cataloguing and access by year, actor, etc would have been better directed towards a media app that simply recognised a music or video format, and played it.. Never liked or used the Windows Media Library system.

I have already set up my files in a logical structure of folders and sub-folders. I just want an app that can be pointed at those folders and play the media in them. Kodi was bad enough. But Plex with its need to operate via the internet...????. All I want is an app that can play my media through to my NAD receiver via hdmi. Both VLC and MXPlayer come close, but neither plays the full complement of file types I need.

And when it comes to 96/24 surround flac files, neither, it seems, does either Kodi or Plex, without dumbing down from 96k to 48k.

Is it the Shield hardware can't do it, or the android os cannot do it/prevents it, or the app developers just haven't felt the need/demand for it?

Or is my son right and I'm just a Grumpy Old Man??

Rant over.

Last edited by madaudio; 07-01-2017 at 09:49 AM.
post #4139 of 5217 Old 07-01-2017, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Liked: 789
If you don't want what Plex has to offer then simply use Kodi.

If you plan on watching on multiple devices then Plex comes in handy.

post #4140 of 5217 Old 07-01-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
If you don't want what Plex has to offer then simply use Kodi.

If you plan on watching on multiple devices then Plex comes in handy.
I know it was a long rant, but you missed my main point.

As I said, I don't want MOST of what either Plex OR Kodi have to offer. Was trying to use these because I thought they would do something I now find they don't.

Just want a no-frills app that doesn't impose some space-greedy library cataloguing system, that will, amongst other things, play most standard audio and video file formats, but specifically including 24bit 96K 5.1 surround flac files, without down-sampling them to 48k.

[Later Edit]: Maybe an MX Player or VLC type app able to play a wider range of sound and video codecs

Function before form - that's what I am after.

I wish, in all my reading, I had come across this info before buying the shield:

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answe...y-shield-tv%3F

No mention of hires multi-channel flac at all!! And multi-channel wav files all get down-sampled.

Hires stereo flac ??? Great. But not hires multi-channel flac files.

Oh, and can anyone with a bit of android coding tech savvy answer one of the other questions I raised, specifically:

"Is it the Shield hardware can't do it, or the android os cannot do it/prevents it, or the app developers just haven't felt the need/demand for it?"

I am genuinely curious to know which of these three issues is the problem, as if it is the third explanation, I can con myself into hoping some future updates will solve my complaint.

Yeah, I know.

I am just a Grumpy Old Man.

Oh, and in case I am mistaken for being dismissive of all the programming talent, and hours of programming coding, that has gone into these apps, no - I have indulged in a very tiny amount of coding, way back when, and fully appreciate what is involved in trying to achieve even the simplest of programming objectives. I know I am just being picky about one small lack that is perhaps totally unimportant to 99% of the users of those apps.

Last edited by madaudio; 07-02-2017 at 04:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page