*Official* Nvidia Shield Console - HTPC discussion - Page 179 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 785Likes

post #5341 of 5352 Old 11-12-2019, 03:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I own a Samsung HW-K950 sound system which supports Dolby Atmos. A funny thing with this sound system is that it sounds quite horrible when not in "Dolby Atmos mode", a mode which is only enabled (automatically) when the receiver is receiving a Dolby Atmos signal. Unfortunately, this is a well known fluke of this system

I've used both an Xbox One X as well as a Windows 10 PC in the past which have the ability to always output Dolby Atmos ("Dolby Atmos for home theater" with "Dolby Access" app), regardless of what the actual audio source is, to remedy this problem. However I would really like to purchase an Nvidia Shield TV, but without the ability the always output a Dolby Atmos signal my expensive sound system just doesn't sound good at all.

Does anyone know of any solution to always get a Dolby Atmos signal output from the Nvidia Shield? Wether the signal just gets repackaged in a Dolby Atmos container or the signal gets upmixed/upscaled to Dolby Atmos really doesn't matter. All I want is my sound system to receive a Dolby Atmos signal so it sounds like intended.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5342 of 5352 Old 11-12-2019, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Picture Quality

Well finally received my Nvidia Shield Pro today and couldn't wait to plug it in. I now have a learning curve about 8-bit, 10-bit and 12-bit. When I watched King last night I found it dark and sometimes washed out. On the shield it has 73 custom Display modes. My thought was higher the but, better the colours. To my dismay 8-bit YUV 420 Rec.709 is the nicest picture. Problem is it isn't marked HDR10 ready, and when when I hit play HDR is not detected. Other observation is when I chose 12 bit YUV 422 Rec.709, the picture starts off bright and crisp but after 2 seconds goes very dark. Projector is a Optoma UHD60. Any help would be appreciated.
post #5343 of 5352 Old 11-13-2019, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrexion View Post
I own a Samsung HW-K950 sound system which supports Dolby Atmos. A funny thing with this sound system is that it sounds quite horrible when not in "Dolby Atmos mode", a mode which is only enabled (automatically) when the receiver is receiving a Dolby Atmos signal. Unfortunately, this is a well known fluke of this system

I've used both an Xbox One X as well as a
Windows 10 PC in the past which have the ability to always output Dolby Atmos ("Dolby Atmos for home theater" with "Dolby Access" app), regardless of what the actual audio source is, to remedy this problem. However I would really like to purchase an Nvidia Shield TV, but without the ability the always output a Dolby Atmos signal my expensive sound system just doesn't sound good at all.

Does anyone know of any solution to always get a Dolby Atmos signal output from the Nvidia Shield? Wether the signal just gets repackaged in a Dolby Atmos container or the signal gets upmixed/upscaled to Dolby Atmos really doesn't matter. All I want is my sound system to receive a Dolby Atmos signal so it sounds like intended.
I have the Shield 2017 and the audio is pass through. I have no issues with all formats. You have something else happing. I also have a very expensive system.

-----------------------
My Listening Room
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5344 of 5352 Old 11-13-2019, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSpig View Post
I have the Shield 2017 and the audio is pass through. I have no issues with all formats. You have something else happing. I also have a very expensive system.
I'm aware that the audio is pass through, and in my case audio pass through works fine when the original source is Atmos. The sound system is just ****ty at handling non-Atmos sources, it's a well known issue on this forum as well.

Some people have resorted to using an HDMI splitter to split sound and video from their sources, route the video to their TV, route the sound through an Xbox to upscale it to Atmos, and then route the sound to their sound system. Feels like to much hassle / money thrown away, so I was wondering if there was a native way to upscale/upmix to Atmos on Android TV.
post #5345 of 5352 Old 11-13-2019, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrexion View Post
I'm aware that the audio is pass through, and in my case audio pass through works fine when the original source is Atmos. The sound system is just ****ty at handling non-Atmos sources, it's a well known issue on this forum as well.

Some people have resorted to using an HDMI splitter to split sound and video from their sources, route the video to their TV, route the sound through an Xbox to upscale it to Atmos, and then route the sound to their sound system. Feels like to much hassle / money thrown away, so I was wondering if there was a native way to upscale/upmix to Atmos on Android TV.
If it passes the source through untouched shouldn't your AVR or Pre-Pro take care of producing a faux Atmos signal?
ppasteur, Alan P and groove93 like this.

-----------------------
My Listening Room
post #5346 of 5352 Old 11-18-2019, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi. if I’m correct the new Shield is able to send Dolby Atmos from Netflix movies to a compatible sound system. I have an Atmos compatible receiver but my TV is 1080p. If I upgrade my Netflix plan to 4k, will I have dolby Atmos sound from Netflix movies considering my TV is only 1080p? Some folks say that Apple TV 4k can do that but I’d prefer to buy the new Shield. Thanks.
post #5347 of 5352 Old 11-19-2019, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by markabuckley View Post
Anyone else have the following problem please o my noticed recently so not sure if as part of update to shield OS or Kodi

Play some content in Kodi bitstream lossless (DTS-MA etc) leave app to main Shield TV page then Chromecast any video content (NowTV, All4 etc) and video plays but no sound

Reboot the shield and sound on Chromecast works fine

Any ideas please ?

It's almost like Kodi still has exclusive use of the sound api
I believe you can just double tap the home button and close KODI, rather than restarting the entire system. I have had this happen in the past, no I just close which ever app I am using this way when I am done with it.

Bill
post #5348 of 5352 Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Hi guy, couple questions.

I have a QNAP NAS and I run Twonky on it. Is there an easy interface I can use on the Nvidia Shield to play all my NAS movie/music files? Currently I use an OPPO 103 and it just shows up automatically for me in the perfect folder structure I've created in Twonky, I'm hoping the Nvidea interface is the same.

Also, can I set a master output to 1080p rather than 4K?

Thanks gents
post #5349 of 5352 Old Yesterday, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1900 Post(s)
Liked: 1202
Quote:
Originally Posted by copene View Post
Hi guy, couple questions.

I have a QNAP NAS and I run Twonky on it. Is there an easy interface I can use on the Nvidia Shield to play all my NAS movie/music files? Currently I use an OPPO 103 and it just shows up automatically for me in the perfect folder structure I've created in Twonky, I'm hoping the Nvidea interface is the same.

Also, can I set a master output to 1080p rather than 4K?

Thanks gents
You could connect directly to your NAS via SMB with Kodi or MrMC or others. Probably wouldn’t need your Twonky server for that.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #5350 of 5352 Old Yesterday, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
You could connect directly to your NAS via SMB with Kodi or MrMC or others. Probably wouldn’t need your Twonky server for that.
Twonky is on the NAS, I use it because it's the only one I've found that sorts music by track # instead of alphabetically.

Is there a "network" section in the menu where you just pick your NAS like on a WDTV and access your files?

Last edited by copene; Yesterday at 10:49 AM.
post #5351 of 5352 Old Yesterday, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1900 Post(s)
Liked: 1202
Quote:
Originally Posted by copene View Post
Twonky is on the NAS, I use it because it's the only one I've found that sorts music by track # instead of alphabetically.

Is there a "network" section in the menu where you just pick your NAS like on a WDTV and access your files?
It depends on the app you're using. Generally, if you have the IP address and the share name it can connect. The only downside is that the Shield is still at SMB 1 which is a little slower and less secure than 2 or 3 but you won't notice it. You can use other protocols too, not just SMB. A lot of us use Plex or Emby server and don't have any problems sorting our media. I did notice an app called Twonky Player on the Google Play Store which may work for you but you'd have to side load it and test if it works.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #5352 of 5352 Old Yesterday, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
It depends on the app you're using. Generally, if you have the IP address and the share name it can connect. The only downside is that the Shield is still at SMB 1 which is a little slower and less secure than 2 or 3 but you won't notice it. You can use other protocols too, not just SMB. A lot of us use Plex or Emby server and don't have any problems sorting our media. I did notice an app called Twonky Player on the Google Play Store which may work for you but you'd have to side load it and test if it works.
Yeah, you can use NTS as well. I use SMB with my Synology NAS and have never had an issue.
m_snow likes this.

Vizio P65-C1 (2016)
Onkyo Tx-NR656
JBL Studio Series (Front, Center, Right), JBL 250W Sub, Kenwood Rears, Onkyo Atmos Upfiring
LG UP970 UHD Player
Nvidia Shield TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page