*Official* Nvidia Shield Console - HTPC discussion - Page 99 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 770Likes

post #2941 of 5258 Old 07-20-2016, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstopdoc1 View Post
I was using KODI/Openelec on chromebox and just swapped it with a shield about a month ago. IMO Sheild is much better than chromebox. First I had to add RAM to my chromebox as it kept on crashing whenever I was browsing movies section of KODI. On debugging I found, it ran out RAM. So if you have large library, you will need to upgrade RAM to 4gb at least

Than my experience with remote was less than seamless. I was using PS3 BT remote and it often disconnects and as my AV rack is in the closet, it was always a big hassle.

Shield has given me ZERO issues and the fact that you can watch youtube, cast music/videos and stream netflix in 4K makes it a no brainer IMO. I just listed my Chromebox on craigslist.

The PS3 Remote with Kodi Chromebox was terrible. Such a poor performer, and also disconnected and ate up batteries very quickly. The FireTV remote works amazing well, and so does the app, Yatse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2942 of 5258 Old 07-20-2016, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
A few days ago, I got a Shield to replace my Chromebox+Kodi and so far I'm not so sure the Shield is a worthwhile upgrade for me. It also does seem just a bit slower than the CB, is that possible?

I believe that the pic quality when streaming MKVs from my NAS is slightly improved with the Shield+SMPC, but I haven't done an A/B comparison.

Most of the other apps on the Shield are wasted on me...I don't use the Netflix app myself very much, my wife does but she likes to use it through our Tivo. I don't game, don't have 4K (yet), no Vudu or Hulu.

Considering returning the Shield to Amazon. Can you guys come up with any reason why I should keep it?
A bit slower... how so? I havent taken the Shield out of the box yet, so I cant compare. You think navigating is slower on the shield? I do have to say, navigating on the Chromebox works great. I did add ram, although for Kodi you dont really need to.

I myself dont use netflix, or any other app, but did buy a 4k TV and think I will be using those features in the future.
post #2943 of 5258 Old 07-21-2016, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 6244 Post(s)
Liked: 5543
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyOnTheWall View Post
A bit slower... how so? I havent taken the Shield out of the box yet, so I cant compare. You think navigating is slower on the shield? I do have to say, navigating on the Chromebox works great. I did add ram, although for Kodi you dont really need to.

I myself dont use netflix, or any other app, but did buy a 4k TV and think I will be using those features in the future.
I have noticed that when I return to the main SPMC screen from watching a movie, it takes a half a second or so to load the "suggestions". I also noticed a tiny bit of stutter when I first start some video clips (not all). Other than that, it's been fast and snappy.

That being said, I have decided to return the Shield. As I mentioned before, for me, for the foreseeable future, it would pretty much just be a 1080p SPMC box which I have covered with the Chromebox+Kodi, but the deciding factor for me was the Shield's performance with my IR universal remote.

I use a URC MX-700 (have been for going on 15 years). I found the IR hex codes online and set up the MX-700 last night. Not only are there a few missing commands that I have with the CB+Kodi+Media Center Remote, the reaction time is severely lacking...getting lots of button presses with no reaction and some "double presses", it's just too erratic for me. The CB is much more responsive to IR.

I am NOT using the game controller as a remote. The reason I have a universal remote is for it to be...well...universal (that means controlling ALL of my devices).

I realize that one day, I will have to give up my all-time favorite remote and move away from IR, but until that day comes, you'll have to pry my MX-700 from my cold, dead hands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2944 of 5258 Old 07-21-2016, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1945 Post(s)
Liked: 626
The SPMC Titan skin with suggestions does cause a delay. If you don't use suggestions, the delay goes away.
post #2945 of 5258 Old 07-21-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
The SPMC Titan skin with suggestions does cause a delay. If you don't use suggestions, the delay goes away.
I noticed the delay on Titan as well as Arctic Zephyr: From The Ashes FWIW.
post #2946 of 5258 Old 07-21-2016, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
I use a URC MX-700 (have been for going on 15 years).
I had that remote many years ago. Nice remote and it worked really well, but was a pain to program and you basically had to pirate the software if you wanted to do your own programming. When it finally gave out I replaced it with a Harmony One. The Harmony was far and away the best universal remote I've owned, but it bit the dust last year when someone accidentally spilt a milkshake on it . The current lineup of Harmonys don't seem to work as well as the original One according to reviews I've read so I'm currently without a universal remote. CEC is getting me by in the mean time.
post #2947 of 5258 Old 07-21-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Thompson View Post
I had that remote many years ago. Nice remote and it worked really well, but was a pain to program and you basically had to pirate the software if you wanted to do your own programming. When it finally gave out I replaced it with a Harmony One. The Harmony was far and away the best universal remote I've owned, but it bit the dust last year when someone accidentally spilt a milkshake on it . The current lineup of Harmonys don't seem to work as well as the original One according to reviews I've read so I'm currently without a universal remote. CEC is getting me by in the mean time.
I have never had an issue with the programming of the MX-700. I love the flexibility of being able to build my own macros, use hex code, learn from other remotes, etc., and I'm sure there was a learning curve, but that was so long ago I've forgotten.

I've had the original software since I bought my first MX. The hardest part was getting the serial interface to work right.

I tried a Harmony One maybe 7-8 years ago, didn't like it nearly as much as the MX. You can still find them on Ebay if you're so inclined.
post #2948 of 5258 Old 07-21-2016, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hey guys i dont have an nvidia shield tv but am debating on buying one. I had a roku 4 and the bugs with that thing were just horrific. Is there any issues with 4k or hdr on the shield? I mainly want it for all the streaming services, netflix, hbo now, etc. thanks for any info!
post #2949 of 5258 Old 07-21-2016, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven James 2 View Post
Hey guys i dont have an nvidia shield tv but am debating on buying one. I had a roku 4 and the bugs with that thing were just horrific. Is there any issues with 4k or hdr on the shield? I mainly want it for all the streaming services, netflix, hbo now, etc. thanks for any info!
AFAIK Shield doesn't have all the major streaming apps. Check if it has all the apps you need otherwise you will need to keep Roku for apps like amazon video.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Steven James 2 likes this.

My Build Thread
HT - Seymour Centerstage XD 2.39:1 133" W| JVC X790R | Denon AVR | QSC DPA 4.2 | ATI AT528NC | Procella P8/P5V | Revel C763L | Rythmik FV15HP x2
Living Room - LG OLED 65" | Yamaha 2060 | Monolith 3x200 | KEF Q900 L/R | Paradigm Millenia CC | Polk Surrounds | Monolith 12" Subs x 2
post #2950 of 5258 Old 07-21-2016, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstopdoc1 View Post
AFAIK Shield doesn't have all the major streaming apps. Check if it has all the apps you need otherwise you will need to keep Roku for apps like amazon video.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
the shield covers most major apps now..minus an official amazon app.

In search of video bliss...
post #2951 of 5258 Old 07-21-2016, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1754 Post(s)
Liked: 790
Just a reminder of this helpful tip...

Go into Settings and then Apps. Find "Nvidia Customizations" and disable notifications. This will remove the Nvidia specific strip and put Netflix on the app strip with everything else. You will end up with the Recommendations, Apps, (Games if you install any), and Settings strips.
nonstopdoc1 and groove93 like this.

post #2952 of 5258 Old 07-21-2016, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Has anyone tested the limits with regards to video playing bitrate limits? I have some 4k captures at 100+ mbps and I'm hoping can be played back on my 4k tv. Preferably through Plex or usb 3.0 external HDD.
post #2953 of 5258 Old 07-21-2016, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1615 Post(s)
Liked: 895
I wonder if there will be an updated Shield or newer Android media player? After all the Shield is really intended as a gaming device, all the streaming apps are a bonus. Since all the decoding is done in hardware there has got to be another simple media player which works just as well. Still undecided about Shield vs Chromebox - they are both 2 years old and its funny they are the best choices still.
post #2954 of 5258 Old 07-22-2016, 05:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
I wonder if there will be an updated Shield or newer Android media player? After all the Shield is really intended as a gaming device, all the streaming apps are a bonus. Since all the decoding is done in hardware there has got to be another simple media player which works just as well. Still undecided about Shield vs Chromebox - they are both 2 years old and its funny they are the best choices still.
The Shield is barely over a year old (end of May 2015).

I doubt there will be a new one in the near future. Gaming consoles ride it out a bit longer. If anything there will be a third version with a larger HDD or a VR port.

post #2955 of 5258 Old 07-22-2016, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 20
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...l#post21906185

Did anybody notice same issue on this device? Mine have same malfunction with Sony tv 9405C. Only when outputting bitstream (DD or DTS). Please check and confirm.
post #2956 of 5258 Old 07-22-2016, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 809
Quote:
I wonder if there will be an updated Shield or newer Android media player?
Android TV has never caught on. Outside of a few offshore models "designed" for suspect content. Many apps aren't available so to a large degree it's the chicken or egg dilemma.

Apps such as Playstation Vue support Android but not Android TV. The Nexus player was discontinued without a replacementl that I know of... I think the entire platform has yet to prove itself and it might be more if it continues to survive versus when will it become mainstream.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
post #2957 of 5258 Old 07-22-2016, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
Android TV has never caught on. Outside of a few offshore models "designed" for suspect content. Many apps aren't available so to a large degree it's the chicken or egg dilemma.

Apps such as Playstation Vue support Android but not Android TV. The Nexus player was discontinued without a replacementl that I know of... I think the entire platform has yet to prove itself and it might be more if it continues to survive versus when will it become mainstream.
We are pretty much relying on its integration into SmartTVs to keep this platform growing.

post #2958 of 5258 Old 07-22-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
I have noticed that when I return to the main SPMC screen from watching a movie, it takes a half a second or so to load the "suggestions". I also noticed a tiny bit of stutter when I first start some video clips (not all). Other than that, it's been fast and snappy.

That being said, I have decided to return the Shield. As I mentioned before, for me, for the foreseeable future, it would pretty much just be a 1080p SPMC box which I have covered with the Chromebox+Kodi, but the deciding factor for me was the Shield's performance with my IR universal remote.

I use a URC MX-700 (have been for going on 15 years). I found the IR hex codes online and set up the MX-700 last night. Not only are there a few missing commands that I have with the CB+Kodi+Media Center Remote, the reaction time is severely lacking...getting lots of button presses with no reaction and some "double presses", it's just too erratic for me. The CB is much more responsive to IR.

I am NOT using the game controller as a remote. The reason I have a universal remote is for it to be...well...universal (that means controlling ALL of my devices).

I realize that one day, I will have to give up my all-time favorite remote and move away from IR, but until that day comes, you'll have to pry my MX-700 from my cold, dead hands.
A friend of mine at work suggested I try the IR dongle I have for my Chromebox and that did the trick! The IR response is now much snappier, perfect actually.

Just posting this in case someone else has the same issues...I may be keeping the Shield after all.
post #2959 of 5258 Old 07-22-2016, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elpee View Post
Just bought a Shield and found it's real cool especially on playing bluray iso I ripped from my media server. However, the most annoying is that there is a light stuttering at fast moving scenes. Not sure if Shield (thru SPMC) causes drop frames or something?
My setup is Shield ---> Denon AVR ---> Pana Plasma VT60.
Your thoughts would be much appreciated.
Does it have menu support for bluray .iso files? Or does it just play the video?
post #2960 of 5258 Old 07-22-2016, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticspoon View Post
Does it have menu support for bluray .iso files? Or does it just play the video?
Yes, it does support full menu. But sometimes it plays directly to the main movie thru SPMC. I don't know.
post #2961 of 5258 Old 07-22-2016, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1615 Post(s)
Liked: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
The Shield is barely over a year old (end of May 2015).

I doubt there will be a new one in the near future. Gaming consoles ride it out a bit longer. If anything there will be a third version with a larger HDD or a VR port.
I'm waiting for a price drop. Amazon had the Shield for $150 but sold out in hours. Also they had the deal with 2nd controller/remote free and I missed that too.
post #2962 of 5258 Old 07-24-2016, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 241
For those who use TVHeadend for TV/DVR - this app will integrate it into Live Channels for Live TV only:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nnes.tvheadend
Dark_Slayer likes this.
post #2963 of 5258 Old 07-24-2016, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Can kodi playback vc-1 encoded blurays on the shield? Also is the bitstreaming and refresh rate switching working properly at the minute? Been reading up on the shield for the past few days. Considering moving from a raspberry pi 2 running libreelec/kodi. Been solid for me since i bought it. Having bought an av receiver and surround sound system i want to get the hd audio. Any help would be great
post #2964 of 5258 Old 07-24-2016, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Stupid question time... I recently set up a NAS for the first time so its still a little new to me.
I have no problem finding it from my PC's to load it up with media... but when I'm setting up a video folder in SPMC on my Shield how do I find it?
post #2965 of 5258 Old 07-24-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhutt View Post
I have no problem finding it from my PC's to load it up with media... but when I'm setting up a video folder in SPMC on my Shield how do I find it?
This link should help...

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
post #2966 of 5258 Old 07-24-2016, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
This link should help...
I agree that it should have... just not seeing it...
I did click on zeroconf and the name of my NAS showed up but it didn't work.
post #2967 of 5258 Old 07-24-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhutt View Post
I agree that it should have... just not seeing it...
Make sure you have shared folders (setup) on the NAS and follow... 2 Adding Remote sources via the link.

post #2968 of 5258 Old 07-25-2016, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm waiting for a price drop. Amazon had the Shield for $150 but sold out in hours. Also they had the deal with 2nd controller/remote free and I missed that too.
It was $159 with two controllers. I sold my two controllers for $40 each.
post #2969 of 5258 Old 07-25-2016, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman83 View Post
Can kodi playback vc-1 encoded blurays on the shield? Also is the bitstreaming and refresh rate switching working properly at the minute? Been reading up on the shield for the past few days. Considering moving from a raspberry pi 2 running libreelec/kodi. Been solid for me since i bought it. Having bought an av receiver and surround sound system i want to get the hd audio. Any help would be great
SPMC does bitstreaming of all formats right now. Kodi you'll have to find one of the uncompressed audio bitstream forks. It has been working for a long time, this is nothing new. I don't know about your vc-1 question, I make MKVs and cruise on, no issues at all.
vman83 likes this.
post #2970 of 5258 Old 07-25-2016, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
SPMC does bitstreaming of all formats right now. Kodi you'll have to find one of the uncompressed audio bitstream forks. It has been working for a long time, this is nothing new. I don't know about your vc-1 question, I make MKVs and cruise on, no issues at all.
VC-1 wasn't supported in the Plex app until recently. Kodi/SPMC never had trouble with it.
vman83 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page