Windows 10 Media Center, maybe... - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 49Likes

post #121 of 156 Old 06-12-2015, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

BTW: You only need WMC if you're dealing with copy once programming. AFAIK Network programs don't fall into this category, so feel free to use one of the several WMC alts discussed around here.
There was a time, as far as Spain knew, the world was flat.
Charter cable encrypts EVERYTHING. So no locals for me, if I upgrade to Windows 10.

Signature edited to appease the OCD's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 156 Old 06-12-2015, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcforever View Post
Why am I part of the problem if I am not bothered to upgrade my PC to an OS that does not do what I want?
No, I think you're in the clear in his book. I think he means those moving onto Windows 10 - and/or those who don't use WMC are part of the problem - because they don't care about what he cares about.
htpcforever likes this.
post #123 of 156 Old 06-12-2015, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by staknhalo View Post
So, you're just mad WMC isn't in 10 (OK, fine), and mad at anyone who doesn't care cause they're ready/willing to move on to something new with 10? That's not very reasonable.
No, if those people's attitudes and comments ended at just "doesn't care" I wouldn't have bothered to post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 156 Old 06-12-2015, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelWill View Post
There's a lot of bad attitude in here towards people who just want to stay with a current OS & DVR capability (the status quo since XP MCE) and there's really no justification for it. Frankly, if you're not the least bit bothered by this change, you're the problem.
Change? What change? There is no change. Win7 will still be Win7 and it will still be supported like it always was. Win8, will still be Win8 and it will still be supported like it always was. There is no change for people running WMC. WMC will still do its DVR duties today, tomorrow, and even the day that Win10 launches. Sure it will eventually stop getting guide data at some point, but that was known from Day One. Nothing has changed with regards to WMC.

Is your phone running the absolute latest OS? does it have all of the features of the previous OS? (I'll go ahead and tell you... no, it doesn't) Yet, it still works fine as a phone.
Does the computer in your town that control the stoplights run the latest OS? (I bet you never even thought about it, but the answer is almost certainly no) Yet you can still drive.

Why must your DVR be any different?
post #125 of 156 Old 06-12-2015, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No, if those people's attitudes and comments ended at just "doesn't care" I wouldn't have bothered to post.
I don't see anyone who plans on moving to Win 10 telling those who don't or who use WMC that they need to/should/must/have to upgrade to Win 10. I just see some people happy/anticipating that they can upgrade to 10 - some people sad they can't, because they rely on WMC - and some people trying to figure out alchemy and get WMC in Win 10.

Where's the problem? Is it because you can't or won't - you don't wanna hear about people talking about their Win 10 upgrade plans/anticipation? Because that's all I can gather what the problem you perceive is.
htpcforever likes this.

Last edited by staknhalo; 06-12-2015 at 01:24 PM.
post #126 of 156 Old 06-12-2015, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
Why must your DVR be any different?
Because my DVR is different, it's a computer.
post #127 of 156 Old 06-12-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Because my DVR is different, it's a computer.
Well, technically, your DVR is run by a computer... just like your smartphone... and traffic lights... and the ATM at your bank... the U-Scan at your grocery store... the voting machine at your local precinct...
post #128 of 156 Old 06-12-2015, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't see anyone who plans on moving to Win 10 telling those who don't or who use WMC that they need to/should/must/have to upgrade to Win 10. I just see some people happy/anticipating that they can upgrade to 10 - some people sad they can't, because they rely on WMC - and some people trying to figure out alchemy and get WMC in Win 10.

Where's the problem? Is it because you can't or won't - you don't wanna hear about people talking about their Win 10 upgrade plans/anticipation? Because that's all I can gather what the problem you perceive is.
The problem is the dismissiveness and ridicule of some people towards others who just want to continue using their HTPC going forward for all it has done in the past. And "just don't upgrade" isn't any more a solution when it comes to the OS as it would be for the CPU, video card, or any other component. Tech marches forwards, MS took a step backwards. Maybe justifiably, maybe not, but this issue is their making, it's not any fault of the user as some people are trying to treat this as.
post #129 of 156 Old 06-12-2015, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The problem is the dismissiveness and ridicule of some people towards others who just want to continue using their HTPC going forward for all it has done in the past.
Can you point out an example of that happening here - cause I haven't seen any - and if there was I missed it. And if it occurred, that would be wrong. But I don't recall seeing any of that. All I've seen is people say "It's fine - you can continue to use your current setup you have now". I would say that's offering reassurance to someone they can keep doing what they're doing with what they currently have - not dismissive or ridicule - if that's what you're referring to.

Quote:
And "just don't upgrade" isn't any more a solution when it comes to the OS as it would be for the CPU, video card, or any other component.
So it really does just boil down to you're mad you can't upgrade? That is the only solution you have to keep using WMC. That's not my fault. It's also not my fault for pointing out to you that is your one and only option - I'm offering you a way to keep using WMC - by sticking with what you have. So when someone asks "what can I do to keep using WMC?" - no one should tell them what they have will continue to work? No one at all should ever respond to said person?

Quote:
Maybe justifiably, maybe not, but this issue is their making, it's not any fault of the user as some people are trying to treat this as.
Again, where did you see this?

Last edited by staknhalo; 06-12-2015 at 01:48 PM.
post #130 of 156 Old 06-12-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
The problem is the dismissiveness and ridicule of some people towards others who just want to continue using their HTPC going forward for all it has done in the past. And "just don't upgrade" isn't any more a solution when it comes to the OS as it would be for the CPU, video card, or any other component. Tech marches forwards, MS took a step backwards. Maybe justifiably, maybe not, but this issue is their making, it's not any fault of the user as some people are trying to treat this as.
Your DVR either works or it doesn't. You don't need a new CPU any more than you need a new OS for it.

If you happen to be using your old, deprecated hardware as a general purpose PC and a DVR, well, I guess it's time to branch off and run a dedicated DVR. You were going to have to get a new computer anyway since you have to have the latest and greatest so yes, leaving your existing DVR to continue doing its existing DVR duties is very much a solution.

And nobody here is saying it's the user's fault for MS dropping WMC in Win10. What some people are saying is that Win10 hasn't changed the WMC landscape at all. Everything regarding WMC is exactly the way it was before Windows 10 was ever announced.
htpcforever likes this.
post #131 of 156 Old 06-12-2015, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Everything regarding WMC is exactly the way it was before Windows 10 was ever announced.
It absolutely is not. All up until Win10 you didn't have to choose WMC vs. the current OS and all that comes with it.
post #132 of 156 Old 06-12-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
It absolutely is not. All up until Win10 you didn't have to choose WMC vs. the current OS and all that comes with it.
But Windows 10 has nothing to do with WMC. That's an external issue. WMC is still exactly what it was before Windows 10. Nothing in Windows 10 will effect what is currently in WMC.

Do you use a dedicated HTPC for your DVR or is it a general purpose machine?
post #133 of 156 Old 06-12-2015, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Bravo sir. That right there is why I'm ready to move on. I've been using WMC for 9 years - and TBH - I'm bored of it frankly (and bored of that WMC color blue ). Luckily the SD solution is there to appease my desire for something new. If it weren't - I probably would be staying on WMC w/ 8.1 until something came along - or until I did due diligence and went cordcutter/OTA only and got a Tablo or Channel Master or SlingTV or some other device.

The only people I really feel bad for with WMC being killed off w/10 are people who just got in the game with WMC. Sucks to invest in/discover something, and then a day later it's in its death throes. But sometimes, **** happens. Fact of life. For the rest of us - I'd like to think whether you stop or continue using WMC from here on out - as of this very day - we have all gotten our monies worth out of it.
FWIW, this "Modern8" theme has gone a long way for me in "refreshing" the look of WMC: http://emby.media/community/index.ph...a-center-theme
ajhieb likes this.
post #134 of 156 Old 06-12-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
You talking about this?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-hom...l#post34959873

Cause I read that as being frustrated saying the same thing over and over to the same question. But if you were mocking him - then yes, bad @ajhieb
When I wrote it, it was intended as some harmless tongue-in-cheek humor. But if somebody wants to get their knickers in a twist over it, that's their choice.
htpcforever likes this.
post #135 of 156 Old 06-12-2015, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When I wrote it, it was intended as some harmless tongue-in-cheek humor. But if somebody wants to get their knickers in a twist over it, that's their choice.
Go in the corner and say 10 Hail Marys, and we'll call it even stevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc05 View Post
FWIW, this "Modern8" theme has gone a long way for me in "refreshing" the look of WMC: http://emby.media/community/index.ph...a-center-theme
Yeah, it's nicer, just not enough of a change (and you can't really change it) to satisfy my itch for something new. It would solve the problem of the blue though, lol (but in every theme I've seen - that blue manages to get overlooked in one resource/.png in the .dll - and creep in on one part of the screen at any given time). I messed with themes for a while when I was in my WMC heyday.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=117&v=Z2yzEETV1gI

It looks good here - but some parts seem hard to read (and I still see the F*n blue - lol), but truth be told - my days of tweaking/messing around with WMC are long gone - and they're not gonna return with WMC on its way out for me.

I do appreciate the suggestion/willingness to help though

My problem with WMC isn't really anything to do with WMC itself. It works wonderfully in performance/stability/reliability for me with my headless HTPC and XBOX 360s @ every TV configuration. The problem is - as I admitted earlier - I've just become flat out bored with/of it. Maybe it's my own fault for getting the setup so rock-solid But also - I just see so many more advantages/features/enjoyability in going forward with an Android TV/SD DVR setup that I'm just anxious for it; and scratching at the walls.

Last edited by staknhalo; 06-12-2015 at 02:21 PM.
post #136 of 156 Old 06-12-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Go in the corner and say 10 Hail Marys, and we'll call it even stevens
Done.

Quote:
Yeah, it's nicer, just not enough of a change (and you can't really change it) to satisfy my itch for something new. It would sove the problem of the blue though, lol (but in ever theme I've seen - that blue manages to get overlooked in one resource/.png in the .dll). I messed with themes for a while when I was in my WMC hayday.
Yeah, I'm kinda in the same boat. I messed around with a few themes, but I never found one that I really liked and the trouble of trying to keep WMC themed was generally more trouble than it was worth.

Eventually I opted to go the route of least hassle/best stability, and now I'm running a pretty bare-bones setup. I bought the My Channel Logos add-in and I installed MB 2.6.2 and Shark's latest codec pack (at the time) and other than that it's pretty much stock. Seems much more stable that way.
post #137 of 156 Old 06-12-2015, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, all I have is My Channel Logos and Guide Tool (needed for my QAM lineup). Literally nothing else now (Edit- No, I have haali splitter too). I used to have every WMC plugin/whatever and figuring out ways to add every service/feature into WMC and be controllable all by remote . They were either just more trouble than they were worth - or just have since been dwarfed by other options.
post #138 of 156 Old 06-12-2015, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Yeah, I went through a number of themes too before Modern8 was finalized, but after a little tweaking, I think it looks a lot more "modern" than stock.

Spoiler!

Other than some pains getting MCL and Media Center Studio working together, it's been set and forget. It should hold me over until the next thing, SD DVR or otherwise.
staknhalo and htpcforever like this.
post #139 of 156 Old 06-12-2015, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This may be a subject for a new thread (or can anyone point me to a current similar one?). I want my free Windows 10 upgrades. We currently have three MCE PC's sharing two SD HDHR Primes.

Even keeping one PC on Win 7 won't solve the issue of watching the recordings in different rooms.

I would have to either invest in used Xbox 360's, or the new SD solution coming out later this year. But how does SD get around the copy once issue for watching recordings in different locations?

post #140 of 156 Old 06-12-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
But how does SD get around the copy once issue for watching recordings in different locations?
If it all comes to fruition, the same as WMC does... using an approved (though different) DRM technology.
post #141 of 156 Old 06-12-2015, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This may be a subject for a new thread (or can anyone point me to a current similar one?). I want my free Windows 10 upgrades. We currently have three MCE PC's sharing two SD HDHR Primes.

Even keeping one PC on Win 7 won't solve the issue of watching the recordings in different rooms.

I would have to either invest in used Xbox 360's, or the new SD solution coming out later this year. But how does SD get around the copy once issue for watching recordings in different locations?

One of your computers would have the recording engine software installed on it (or simply a NAS if you like) - then on every computer (even the one with the recording engine software) you would install the viewing client so that you can watch and manage/schedule recordings. They still use DRM (we don't know what - but DTCP-IP is used for live viewing) so that you can watch your copy-once stuff. I'm assuming the view clients/apps authenticate with the recording engine software - authorizing playback.

This is how it sounds to me from the way they have described things. Kinda like their own version of Softsled.

Last edited by staknhalo; 06-12-2015 at 05:45 PM.
post #142 of 156 Old 06-12-2015, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Yea anyway it's just stupid to assume there aren't decent features in windows 10 that one would want to upgrade to it. The Xbox One intergration stuff alone might be worth it, let alone the probable improvements that are bound to come with it. So yea the attitude in replies was beyond dickheaded. What was the point in even replying and replying and replying adding nothing. Cept to quote the post directly above yours...

Anyway in the end **** M$. I'll download everything for free if I have to in the end. So who really gives a ****.

Just more of M$ clear lack of vision as a whole. It was bad enough the lame asses charged $10 or probably more in some cases for WMC on win 8. To remove it altogether is just stupid and pointless. It isn't like they're changed it in almost the entire time it's been around.

So thanks for the helpful replies and at least some understanding.

Marantz 7702MKII/Outlaw 7140 65" 4k Samsung KS8000
i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/970's SLI 840 PRO SSD
Paradigm Studio v3 100/570/20's/470's/2200 Sub
post #143 of 156 Old 06-12-2015, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
They still use DRM (we don't know what - but DTCP-IP is used for live viewing) so that you can watch your copy-once stuff. I'm assuming the view clients/apps authenticate with the recording engine software - authorizing playback.
I emailed SiliconDust when the Kickstarter was announced and they replied that they will be using DTCP-IP for DRM.
staknhalo likes this.
post #144 of 156 Old 06-12-2015, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Pretty much. Sadly, legit copies of Windows 7 are becoming harder and harder to find these days, especially copies not already installed on a machine I don't need. They are still out there to be sure, but as Windows 10 arrives, I have a feeling 7 is going to become even harder to track down.
post #145 of 156 Old 06-12-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Ravenlocke View Post
Pretty much. Sadly, legit copies of Windows 7 are becoming harder and harder to find these days, especially copies not already installed on a machine I don't need. They are still out there to be sure, but as Windows 10 arrives, I have a feeling 7 is going to become even harder to track down.
Well, the point was if you already have Win7 or Win8 you shouldn't have to track down a new license. You already have a working system.

If you're just getting into the DVR world that's a different story... I'd really hesitate to start building around a WMC ecosystem today. but if you're already running Win7 or Win8 with WMC, then you should be set for quite a while.
post #146 of 156 Old 06-12-2015, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Ravenlocke View Post
Newegg and Amaazon still have OEM versions. I've been watching the prices and they're running about $80 for home premium and as low as $115 for Pro (when they're on sale). I probably ought to grab a copy of Pro soon for running WMC in a VM. I'm wondering if it will disappear from the "shelves" as soon as Windows 10 is available though.
post #147 of 156 Old 06-13-2015, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If it all comes to fruition, the same as WMC does... using an approved (though different) DRM technology.
Right. But I haven't checked the features yet. It's network based storage, right? WMC only plays protected recordings on the computer that created them, or on an Xbox 360.

Is the new SD product supposed to play on any network attached device?

Edit: I see staknhalo already addressed this.

Any mention of clients for streaming devices, like Chromecast, Roku, Fire TV?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Last edited by leebo; 06-13-2015 at 06:38 PM.
post #148 of 156 Old 06-13-2015, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Any mention of clients for streaming devices, like Chromecast, Roku, Fire TV?
Android TV for copy-once content (along with PC/Mac) via the view client/app. Any other platform/device they come out with the view app for - they have stated it either won't do copy-once, or it's undetermined at this time.
post #149 of 156 Old 06-13-2015, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Android TV for copy-once content (along with PC/Mac) via the view client/app. Any other platform/device they come out with the view app for - they have stated it either won't do copy-once, or it's undetermined at this time.
Well, if I invest in one it'll be after they have streaming clients. I'm slowly moving away from recording. I'm using Hulu, Amazon, and Netflix more and more. And Emby keeps getting better and better.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
post #150 of 156 Old 06-17-2015, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Here's what M$ is saying about availability of various versions of Windows 7 & 8:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ycle#section_2

It looks like you'll still be able to buy Windows 7 Pro OEM until at least Jun. 2016 since they say they'll give one year notice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page