Networking questions - Wired routers - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #31 of 37 Old 03-31-2015, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 374
The latest generation of Powerline Ethernet adapters are out- literally, they just came out - and they have better performance than whatever you are using now because of MIMO and more bandwidth available due to the full use of the electrical lines. Just replace the ones you are using now with the new 1200 adapters and put a good, robust Gigabit Ethernet switch in the office to handle the Server and anything else you want to put in there. Problem solved. I just bought a bunch of Netgear GS208 switches off of Amazon for $25 a pop and am putting them in every room, where I have just installed the latest Powerline Ethernet adapters. They have large buffers, jumbo frame support, and the performance you need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 04-03-2015, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
I'd bury a 2" PVC and run ethernet through that if it were me

On your powerline gear are you getting 60+ Mbps or MBps? 60Mbps kind of sucks, but would be perfectly fine for playback. You said you were ripping/encoding and from what it sounds like then moving the encode over powerline back to your storage? I'd figure out a way to do the ethernet upgrade in that case. If you are actually getting 60MBps that's a different story. I get 40MBps+ between asus routers in bridge mode
It's 60+ Mpbs. And yes it does suck for copying large files. But fortunately I'm not doing that anymore. I've now moved my servers to the office side of the powerline adapter and so transferring files from desktop to server is at gigabit speed through the switch. The only thing I need the powerline for now is playback, and as you say it's fine for that.

I'll still look into running ethernet if it turns out I need more bandwidth (or possibly the new AV2 MIMO powerline if I just want a cheaper, easier fix). So far though the new setup is working just fine as is. Thanks to everyone for the help.
post #33 of 37 Old 04-05-2015, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJimador View Post
And then figure out where it's going in the house and office, how to set up those end points, how to navigate around the deck and the concrete around the studio/office, how to wire within the house back to the router in the living room...

Not saying I won't do it (and I don't mind the encouragement towards it either btw). Just saying there is a little bit more involved to it than digging in the yard and burying a conduit.
Running Cat5/6 between buildings safely & properly to meet code is not as simple as presented. You'll need Surge Arrestor's at point of entry at each building and running fiber is actually the best practice. Not understanding proper installation practices here can create a very unsafe situation.

If you ever attempt this, do yourself a favor & research first. Consult a professional who knows and understands the NEC & local codes.

Google search "Cat 5""between""buildings" to get some idea. Better to be safe than sorry!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 37 Old 04-05-2015, 11:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 473
lol, codes. Wouldn't care one bit if it were my house
post #35 of 37 Old 04-06-2015, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
lol, codes. Wouldn't care one bit if it were my house

Once you get a house, EVERY D i c k & Harriet want a piece of the action.
post #36 of 37 Old 04-06-2015, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post
Once you get a house, EVERY D i c k & Harriet want a piece of the action.
Yeah, been there, done that, got the t shirt. I was a homeowner directly after college and before I had ever heard of an HTPC. Sold that house and renting for a few years now by choice
post #37 of 37 Old 04-10-2015, 10:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked: 1484
OP.

Just remembered this thread after getting back from installing a network at a mates place. He also has a detached workshop/studio in the rear of the yard and wanted good speed and didn't want to have to dig up his beautiful manicured gardens to dig a trench for conduit. Not was he keen on an overhead catenary (but this might be a solution for you). His main router as an R7000 set up in the study in the 'crotch' of his L shaped house. Not wanting to comproise this he bought a TP Link Archer AC1900 which we installed at on end of the house, set it up as an AP with the same SSID and password as the R7000. We took off one of the three antenna on the unit and used a high gain dual band 14dB gain antenna which we installed under the eave by drilling a couple of holes and running the RP-SMA antenna cable through to the Archer. The studio end was similar, but using the older existing N band unit he had, but this is likely to be upgraded.

Testing from a local ISP speed testing site shows no difference in up/down speeds between wired PCs in the house and the studio wireless, and server access from studio to house s about 10x better but still nowhere near wired gigabit, but replacing the studio end with a better AP will likely improve it further but he's more than happy with it now.

I don't recall the antenna brand as I didn't buy them or see the packaging, but t looked similar to this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page