Plex vs Kodi?? - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #121 of 125 Old 03-10-2016, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TornadoTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hill Country, Texas
Posts: 7,905
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjackson View Post
Great thanks. I'm looking at building a new Xeon based unRAID server with my HTPC as a VM inside that. I like the sound of Emby so I'll investigate that as my library manager in a docker app.....
Wait, as your HTPC or your server? My VM will not work as an HTPC because it does not have direct access to the video card.
TornadoTJ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 125 Old 03-10-2016, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
stanger89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 23,130
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4156 Post(s)
Liked: 2389
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjackson View Post
Great thanks. I'm looking at building a new Xeon based unRAID server with my HTPC as a VM inside that. I like the sound of Emby so I'll investigate that as my library manager in a docker app.....
Not to derail the thread, but why run the HTPC as a VM? That just means the server (which is noisy) needs to be close to your display. I run unRAID with a VM and some Dockers, but the frontend connected to my displays is always a client.
stanger89 is offline  
post #123 of 125 Old 03-10-2016, 02:57 PM
Senior Member
 
sjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
Wait, as your HTPC or your server? My VM will not work as an HTPC because it does not have direct access to the video card.
Both. unRAID 6 allows hardware passthrough to the VM so I can dedicate a graphics card to the VM. So my plan is unRAID for for the NAS and multiple VMs or Dockers on top of that for Windows/HTPC stuff.

__________________________________________

DIY Sound Group 893 & Volt 8's Build Thread
sjackson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #124 of 125 Old 03-10-2016, 03:00 PM
Senior Member
 
sjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Not to derail the thread, but why run the HTPC as a VM? That just means the server (which is noisy) needs to be close to your display. I run unRAID with a VM and some Dockers, but the frontend connected to my displays is always a client.
My equipment rack is in another room (which houses the HTPC, AV processor, power amps etc) and just feeds the TV and projector through HDMI over CAT6. Control is a Logitech Harmony using RF.

__________________________________________

DIY Sound Group 893 & Volt 8's Build Thread
sjackson is offline  
post #125 of 125 Old 03-10-2016, 03:08 PM
Senior Member
 
sjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
Wait, as your HTPC or your server? My VM will not work as an HTPC because it does not have direct access to the video card.
Have a look at the below video to get an idea. Here they have unRAID with two windows VMs for gaming (they also did a version with 7 gaming machines). So in addition to what they did you can have unRAID handling NAS duties


__________________________________________

DIY Sound Group 893 & Volt 8's Build Thread
sjackson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Home Theater Computers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off