HDHomeRun DVR software Kickstarter campaign - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 620Likes

post #271 of 1695 Old 05-04-2015, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 52
If I had to hire a developer to develop a first-gen app, then improve on it and also support it and update it throughout the life of the app, $50k would be an absolute steal.
ellisr63, ilovejedd, NNate and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1695 Old 05-04-2015, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual98 View Post
If I had to hire a developer to develop a first-gen app, then improve on it and also support it and update it throughout the life of the app, $50k would be an absolute steal.
Interesting... When I want a driver for my HA it costs about $100. I would have thought maybe $10k max for what they are doing.
post #273 of 1695 Old 05-04-2015, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Those are two of my gripes with WMC DVR. Also, despite having multiple tuners, it's never quite handled back to back recordings properly for me. For example, I recorded the Chicago Fire/Chicago PD/Law & Order SVU crossover last Wednesday and I'm missing a few seconds worth of scenes in-between PD and SVU.

Another issue is the time/clock goes out of sync if and only if I have something scheduled to record in WMC. I set up a scheduled task that runs twice a day to sync the time and that seems to have fixed this last issue.
I think you will like what we are doing...

Back to back recordings on the same channel use the same tuner. Padding time is handled by saving the stream to both the near-ending file and the just-started file. We currently default to 1 minute padding before and after each show.

Correct time is also handled automatically. When the recording engine syncs with our servers it picks up the correct time (without affecting the Windows visible clock). Recordings are make relative to a monolithic timer so they are not affected by changes to the Windows visible clock. The approach eliminates issues with the clock changing or drifting due to infrequent NTP checks, failing NTP checks, DST, user changes, etc.

Interestingly the reason we added the default 1 minute padding was because we were seeing a number of cable channels being systematically out by ~15-20s. We verified our time information was correct. The current GPS offset is ~18s which might be related.

Nick

Last edited by jafa; 05-04-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 1695 Old 05-04-2015, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafa View Post

Back to back recordings on the same channel use the same tuner. Padding time is handled by saving the stream to both the near-ending file and the just-started file. We currently default to 1 minute padding before and after each show.

Correct time is also handled automatically. When the recording engine syncs with our servers it picks up the correct time (without affecting the Windows visible clock). Recordings are make relative to a monolithic timer so they are not affected by changes to the Windows visible clock. The approach eliminates issues with the clock changing or drifting due to infrequent NTP checks, failing NTP checks, DST, user changes, etc.

Interestingly the reason we added the default 1 minute padding was because we were seeing a number of cable channels being systematically out by ~15-20s. We verified our time information was correct. The current GPS offset is ~18s which might be related.

Nick
Very cool - and convenient!
post #275 of 1695 Old 05-04-2015, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafa View Post

Nick
Hi Nick,

Yep, I read this before already (I'm also a member of the SD forums). Now the only thing I'm still pondering is how much to pledge ($30, $60 or $259). I already have quite a number of compatible HDHomeRun tuners (2x HDHR4 and 2x HDTC) and have actually been using HDHomeRuns for 7 years now. I'll likely be testing this service for a year with the newer tuners while keeping the older HDHRs and HDHR3s running on WMC until guide data runs out.

Just a comment, though, while WMC might fail occasionally on the technical side, one thing it does have is a great, intuitive, remote-controlled interface. I've used HDHomeRun View and to be honest, I couldn't figure out how to get it working most of the time.

Thanks!
ellisr63 and freetvEE like this.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 05-04-2015 at 11:26 AM.
post #276 of 1695 Old 05-04-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Hi Nick,

Yep, I read this before already (I'm also a member of the SD forums). Now the only thing I'm still pondering is how much to pledge ($30, $60 or $259). I already have quite a number of compatible HDHomeRun tuners (2x HDHR4 and 2x HDTC) and have actually been using HDHomeRuns for 7 years now. I'll likely be testing this service for a year with the newer tuners while keeping the older HDHRs and HDHR3s running on WMC until guide data runs out.

Just a comment, though, while WMC might fail occasionally on the technical side, one thing it does have is a great, intuitive, remote-controlled interface. I've used HDHomeRun View and to be honest, I couldn't figure out how to get it working most of the time.

Thanks!
I just purchased the HDR4 tuners to replace my older HD dual tuners since they will not work with the new software in Kodi.
post #277 of 1695 Old 05-04-2015, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2202 Post(s)
Liked: 3102
Quote:
Just a comment, though, while WMC might fail occasionally on the technical side, one thing it does have is a great, intuitive, remote-controlled interface. I've used HDHomeRun View and to be honest, I couldn't figure out how to get it working most of the time
Couldn't have said it any better on both WMC (including the grid) and View.
post #278 of 1695 Old 05-05-2015, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
But $50k to write an app for Kodi?
For development, testing, release, and maintenance of a professional application? That's likely a bargain. Especially if the hope is to have it out sooner rather than later.
ellisr63 and ilovejedd like this.
post #279 of 1695 Old 05-05-2015, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
Interesting... When I want a driver for my HA it costs about $100. I would have thought maybe $10k max for what they are doing.
Also keep in mind that $50,000 in Kickstarter money raised doesn't mean $50,000 available for the goal.

All of the pledges from $149 and up all get hardware of some sort for their contribution. (based on current kickstarter numbers about $67,000 in pledges are owed hardware)

So not only is $50k a bargain for developing and supporting a Kodi plugin, they aren't going to have $50k available even if they meet the stretch goal.
ellisr63 and staknhalo like this.
post #280 of 1695 Old 05-05-2015, 01:20 PM

$22k to go for the first stretch.
post #281 of 1695 Old 05-05-2015, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 218
If Tivo had not dropped their ota model to $299 this would be a lot more compelling, but as tivo has an established track record and integrates a lot of internet streaming services, i feel that this will kill any hope of anyone developing a really good ota dvr...
ellisr63 likes this.
post #282 of 1695 Old 05-05-2015, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Realized I backed this project and it doesn't support the HDHR3-US. Thing is a paperweight since I gave up on WMC. Not investing in more hardware at this time since this is a hobby for me as DirecTV isn't going away.

Matt
post #283 of 1695 Old 05-05-2015, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2992 Post(s)
Liked: 1340
$2-$2.50/month for guide data compared to $15 is still pretty compelling. High fees are the primary reason I use WMC and will use SD's DVR solution when the time comes. Integration is a non-issue for me since I have a universal remote to make all source switching seamless.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #284 of 1695 Old 05-05-2015, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Plus, the SD solution will be on more boxes/platforms than just Tivo - allowing you access to more apps/services in a single device; versus just whatever Tivo allows you to have on Tivo hardware.

In the grand-scheme of things, it's a more open (ended) solution IMO.

And, like mentioned, cheaper
ellisr63 likes this.
post #285 of 1695 Old 05-05-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecmec View Post
If Tivo had not dropped their ota model to $299 this would be a lot more compelling, but as tivo has an established track record and integrates a lot of internet streaming services, i feel that this will kill any hope of anyone developing a really good ota dvr...
Are you talking about a hardware DVR for OTA? I haven't looked into it much (the only OTA content I'm ever interested in is sports content which I always watch live) but I was under the impression there are already several robust software DVRs out there that work great for OTA. Slightly fewer that support encrypted (but not flagged) CableCard content, and just WMC of course for protected content.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #286 of 1695 Old 05-05-2015, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post
Realized I backed this project and it doesn't support the HDHR3-US. Thing is a paperweight since I gave up on WMC. Not investing in more hardware at this time since this is a hobby for me as DirecTV isn't going away.
I was under the impression that it did support the HDHR3;
"It enables the viewing and recording of your full over-the-air and cable TV lineup using your home network."
I guess I'm missing something?
post #287 of 1695 Old 05-05-2015, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brijenjas View Post
I was under the impression that it did support the HDHR3;
"It enables the viewing and recording of your full over-the-air and cable TV lineup using your home network."
I guess I'm missing something?
Only the 4th gen/newest tuners (and Prime) are supported. That would be the SD Connect and Extend models. It's due to hardware not present in the older generation tuners.
ellisr63, brijenjas and ilovejedd like this.
post #288 of 1695 Old 05-05-2015, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Just a comment, though, while WMC might fail occasionally on the technical side, one thing it does have is a great, intuitive, remote-controlled interface.
Which begs the question whether Silicondust will make a SDK available that would allow someone to create a media center like interface that would access their guide and recording data and allow setting recordings.
ellisr63 and ilovejedd like this.
post #289 of 1695 Old 05-05-2015, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosy View Post
Which begs the question whether Silicondust will make a SDK available that would allow someone to create a media center like interface that would access their guide and recording data and allow setting recordings.
Not likely. People tend to forget that writing "great" software vs "it works" software....is a LOT of money. Way more than their entire kickstarter campaign...multiplied by a few times, if not tens of times. Writing consumable APIs, SDKs, integration models, domain models and then keeping ALL of them maintained in future releases, so that 3rd party products don't break, that rely on those APIs... There's a reason Windows has so much baggage..

Microsoft, Apple etc can afford to do it, because they have deep pockets. SD is a kid on the block compared to them.
post #290 of 1695 Old 05-05-2015, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by staknhalo View Post
Only the 4th gen/newest tuners (and Prime) are supported. That would be the SD Connect and Extend models. It's due to hardware not present in the older generation tuners.
So the Primes will be compatible? Or just newer Primes?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
post #291 of 1695 Old 05-05-2015, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
So the Primes will be compatible? Or just newer Primes?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
They never made a distinction between older/newer Primes (that I am aware of); so one would assume all Primes are good to go.
post #292 of 1695 Old 05-06-2015, 04:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 415
The Prime is still a 1st generation tuner there's only been one model, except for the short-lived 6-tuner version that was basically two 3-tuner Primes on a single chassis.
post #293 of 1695 Old 05-06-2015, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 46
There is only one prime, not an old one or a new one. Hopefully after they finish the KS offer they will get around to a new 6 tuner CC model for xmas. It looks like the Kodi funding will get there if they get to 1892 contributors.

I wanted to add some things I know about the development of the prime and dlna. I saw in another thread some comments and just in case Nick did not get around to dispelling the questions there about how it came to be I though I'd chime in. I am a regular contributor to the SD forum and have followed the product since the 3 tuner prime was first released. Paying $250 for it and I have gotten back all of that investment and much more. I have kicked in for the 4TB offer [was on my list anyway]. I think that will have some value to me and could be the second best investment I make with SD.

There were some questions about how SD put things together and how the product was designed around some vast plan. I can say quite clearly that Nick did not design the prime with DLNA in mind. The concept was first put forward in the development section of the SD forum late in 2012 [Dec?] the poster outlined his reasons and some basic ideas of implementation. The mob in general poo pooed the idea some criticizing dlna performance. Sometime around February Nick and that person were conversing about PS3 and other items in a private section of the forum. I know this because I and a few others were asked to test and were added in May of 2013 to that section. We used it and reported, lived through self induced agony during June. Teased each other on the regular forum occasionally. In December they made announcements of DLNA certification of the Prime and January the mass release of dlna to existing users to test and then Cable Labs Certification.

The company had some plans but for multiple reasons, some I guessed right on, did not happen. They did not make a 4 tuner transcoding CC tuner as intended. There was a project on the commercial side Nick did and Simple.TV wanted some of this technology while SD made do with the SoC's needed to create the Extend and redesign the Dual now the Connect to be DLNA compatible. Anybody who owns an old dual know Nick builds brick Shxxhouses that are extremely flexible. These new tuners really represent a new generation of tuners that are extremely flexible. The OTA tuner are still open to anyone via methods supported in the past and it has been said that the HDHR DVR might work with Vista by Nick. That almost seems sadistic; does anybody really use that still; XP I understand the die hards but Vista?

At the time they announced the collaboration with Simple.TV they were updating servers at home. Nick teased that big things were coming then the announcement about Simple.TV and a new dual and possibly a dual transcoder by xmas. I had asked Nick about whether the prime would work on the Simple.TV service and he said it was completely different on the inside. I had no clue this offering was coming. I think this is the point where Nick felt he could monetize the software development and provide a service for his creations and possibly the only one that can truly cross platforms in some rather interesting ways that people want to do it better. Whatever that means because it always seems like somebody shows up with a cleaver idea and wants to try it a different way on their forum.

Once they finished working the bugs out for the new dual last February, 2014, Nick said then they would focus on software. The Android app with DTCP-IP copyonce viewing. I saw this as a demonstration to potential developers. Then Google announces Android TV project and SD is there to show its tuners on the ADT-1 box. Another demonstration of what developers can do. A section on the SD forum opens for Development. Mean while people are introducing tuner programs and lamenting the figured demise of WMC was not too far away and not seeing a light at the end of the tunnel [me too at times]. The nexus TV box is a focal point and disappointment to many. The end of 2014 and SD releases View, then Kodi guide app and now a DVR service. And now MS makes WMC a dead horse on a specific date. But nobody is locked into this system. They might be locked out of the dvr service due to compatibility with their device. And making one just like a prime might get a patent fight. But new products for viewing are starting to show some promise. By the end of the summer most of this should be worked out to some solid devices shown to work with the HDHR DVR. Possibly new software from others with their android box. Maybe Google will take advantage finally of the Sage TV folks they bought?

If SD succeeds it could turn the table on TiVo bringing a more affordable device with recordings that hold a longer value and life. Not just in one os system or another or locked into even SD's so long as you have a program that is DTCP-IP certified and possibly Cable Labs certified you probably could use it with the SD tuners. I think they have worked with anyone who has asked about player apps and such.

Anyway that is a history lesson, might be wrong on the order of where the Android app fits it but the rest looks about right. To some extent the new tuners are part of a grand design starting with the servers but that design started out of a noticed capacity by a user who had some experience with dlna. This new project may find limits in the duals and aid in future designs of the prime, which is the bastard child of dlna delivered TV thankfully. Hopefully this system will support the prime as long as they work. But can continue to include some increased flexibility to incorporate some new user ideas along the way. It has been an interesting journey and it is looking like it will continue.

One point, SD made the CC tuner for Hauppauge, the diagnostics are a dead giveaway. But it aided in the release of the prime. the same way Simple.TV aided in the release of the new dual tuners. It possibly could be a client for HDHR DVR? Ceton not so much. Needs dlna certification on the tuners probably. But never say never who know if they come up with a dlna tuner it may be adaptable via Kodi for copy freely content or something else like an android TV box that takes the best from the echo and can talk with their boxes and load android apps? Who knows what the future brings.

To some extent SD was forced into this and on another hand they chose this path and are rolling the dice on creating something that services a niche market of geeks who love good video off of coax in hopes of a more plug and play crowd that could change hardware sales and accelerate designs for other markets and our own.
RTK, ellisr63, ilovejedd and 7 others like this.
post #294 of 1695 Old 05-06-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
Are you talking about a hardware DVR for OTA? I haven't looked into it much (the only OTA content I'm ever interested in is sports content which I always watch live) but I was under the impression there are already several robust software DVRs out there that work great for OTA. Slightly fewer that support encrypted (but not flagged) CableCard content, and just WMC of course for protected content.
Yes, I was referring to specifically OTA. There are no "robust software dvr's for OTA" There are a couple of ones that come close for being reliable. (channel master dvr+ comes to mind) but compared to the OTA tivo I just bought that also integrates quite a few online services in your "search" options it absolutely destroys the channel master. Of course cable is another issue totally, but I am content with the OTA tivo with lifetime service for $299 that incorporates my netflix, hulu plus, amazon prime, you tube, and vudu accounts all in one nice easy to use box. Rumor has it it will be getting plex soon as well which would be icing on the cake..
post #295 of 1695 Old 05-06-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Yes, I was referring to specifically OTA. There are no "robust software dvr's for OTA" There are a couple of ones that come close for being reliable. (channel master dvr+ comes to mind) but compared to the OTA tivo I just bought that also integrates quite a few online services in your "search" options it absolutely destroys the channel master. Of course cable is another issue totally, but I am content with the OTA tivo with lifetime service for $299 that incorporates my netflix, hulu plus, amazon prime, you tube, and vudu accounts all in one nice easy to use box. Rumor has it it will be getting plex soon as well which would be icing on the cake..
Again, you seemed focused on hardware devices. That's fine. I was just looking for clarification.

I know several people on this forum are only recording OTA and I feel like they wouldn't be settling for a solution that isn't reliable. What software packages did you try before going to TiVo?
post #296 of 1695 Old 05-06-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
Again, you seemed focused on hardware devices. That's fine. I was just looking for clarification.

I know several people on this forum are only recording OTA and I feel like they wouldn't be settling for a solution that isn't reliable. What software packages did you try before going to TiVo?
what software OR hardware package HAS been reliable?! To me, NONE. I have tried almost all of the possible software based ones, including Windows Media Center on my Window 7 machine. Tried several of the cheaper hardware based units available from newegg, amazon etc. Hdworx, mediasonic, viewtv, tablo. The closest that came to being reliable was the channelmaster dvr+ which was still at a price point higher than what i felt it should be to record free OTA.
I still run Windows Media Center on my HTPC but more as a back up than anything else.
Hell, I still have the add on am21 tuner on my directv box for OTA as my OTA signal is CLEARLY better than the directv feed of the same station..
We, here, at AVS are a different breed as opposed to the average consumer. We are willing to "fiddle" with things wayyyyyyyy more than the average person who wants something that "just works". IF Tivo keeps selling the OTA model with four tuners with lifetime service, there will no longer be any real competition as it is sooooo easy to use.
just my two cents..
ellisr63 likes this.
post #297 of 1695 Old 05-06-2015, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 136
With WMC being a dead end, SD was kind forced into this if they want to stay in the hardware business so that all the Windows 10 users who purchase a SD tuner(s) has software to work with it, otherwise the SD hardware is kinid useless.
post #298 of 1695 Old 05-06-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
what software OR hardware package HAS been reliable?! To me, NONE. I have tried almost all of the possible software based ones, including Windows Media Center on my Window 7 machine. Tried several of the cheaper hardware based units available from newegg, amazon etc. Hdworx, mediasonic, viewtv, tablo. The closest that came to being reliable was the channelmaster dvr+ which was still at a price point higher than what i felt it should be to record free OTA.
I still run Windows Media Center on my HTPC but more as a back up than anything else.
Hell, I still have the add on am21 tuner on my directv box for OTA as my OTA signal is CLEARLY better than the directv feed of the same station..
We, here, at AVS are a different breed as opposed to the average consumer. We are willing to "fiddle" with things wayyyyyyyy more than the average person who wants something that "just works". IF Tivo keeps selling the OTA model with four tuners with lifetime service, there will no longer be any real competition as it is sooooo easy to use.
just my two cents..
Okay, you seem pretty dead set on talking about hardware products. Not sure how TiVo or any of the other products you've mentioned really effects the HDHR DVR software. I don't think there is a lot of overlap in people looking for a DVR appliance and DVR software. Yeah, there is likely a tiny overlay (among two already very small groups) but for the most part I think they are two completely different groups with different goals and priorities.

I'm sure the TiVo is a fine product though, and I'm glad to hear you're having success with it.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #299 of 1695 Old 05-06-2015, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Cool Comments on posts in this thread

I got a chance to read through the whole thread and have generalcomments in the order I found questions that I can add too.

Wifi is not out of the picture with MPEG2 streams as reportsof AC routers doing a good job have come from users of View and before thatfrom SD CEO Ted Head on a blog interview at CES this year in their suite.

Mentioning to people how I use a computer and watch/recordTV in the same sentence and see their eyes roll up and the brain shuts down wasamusing. But consider a full package DVR for any Cable SP that can use many nasdevices to record or a mac or pc or even pc servers and linux based as well. Sothey have broadened their market appeal with very geeky folks but the additionof an android box or controls on a smart phone and you connect with a whole newgeneration of potential users. Who can use an existing device with some newtech and software that makes its use more intuitive might bring a bigger crowdto their door. It might be the last gasp or a beginning.

The View app for Windows supports my use of Comcast suppliedaudio only channels; both radio and packaged music. Keep in mind that the freeapps will be enhanced by the DVR software. They may change some over time butdo not expect all the features in the DVR to be in the free apps just like theyonly see two hours of guide. To some extent the free apps now provided like theKodi guide service will not change at all.

Quite about the apple idea I don’t want this bought out byanyone except maybe Buffet who tends to have a hands off approach but willingto fund good ideas that expand business.

It is a very reasonable to say SD has failed to deliver andnever explained its failures. I am not much on excuses mostly results myself. Ihave feelings about why some items did not happen and some others about whythey did when they were not expected. Much of it was about chip supply and thenit was about assembly line availability and now industry changes to h.264 mpeg2by cable providers looms making a TC version of the prime more economicallyunlikely unless this DVR changes sales pictures. Still not sure what is upabout apple phone app and tablet issue regarding ACC conversion on audio? But alot more thought has been put into this than the surface suggests.

I laughingly speculated on the SD forum about the timing ofthe MS announcement and the Kickstarter offer. Conspiracy!!? Kind of doubt itbut nice it happened during the kickstarter, may have kick a few off the fence.

The current View programs are basic viewing only items whichwill remain as replacement to Quick TV which was a shell for WMP; a dressed upUI version for TV. View uses dlna delivery so it can cross platforms moreeasily and hand off to HDCP compliant clients. Should have some report on theForge TV box this weekend possibly. Someone posted a ZBox mini computer on theSD forum at $220 that is better than most comparable NUC’s imo. He has them inhis kids room running Kodi. Nick has stated that Fire TV stb will be supported.Roku 3 is another story as transcoding is a necessity and probably not theneeded type is available on an SoC ? HDHomerun Fling has done this withnon-copyonce content. Personally I hope they learn enough to look at iOS and makeit happen. If you have something that is truly plug and play apple is a greatmarket to be a part of but failure is not an option there. Like elephants theydon’t forget.
W7 2020 W8 2023 support end dates. I expect they willcontinue to provide an EPG just do not know what will look like in 2019. Moviecross referencing and such I don’t know how that works or if they pay for thatinfo but if so would be a likely service to disappear. The netflix app on it trulysucks and I would go into windows to adjust my watch list there just to make itsomewhat easier to use in WMC.

The HDHR DVR will enhance the tuner apps with more features,provides a two week guide rather than two hours with the basic View apps andthe dvr software for NAS or windows pc & servers, linux pc 7 nas or mac. Probablya factor in design will be staying within android TV standards for remotes.

Well probably not 9 tuners, the max allowed by the FCC is 8for a CC. SP’s wanted that to be much lower. Tuning adapters are getting someupgrades to that now but not widely available. I noticed Ceton went throughsome pain with at least one of their 6 tuner models. Early on SD seemed verygun shy about 6 tuners but warmed up to the 4 tuner. That seems to havechanged.

@scJohn goodevaluation what they don’t know they intend to buy the info on, one way or theother but Nick probably understands this as well as anyone. The desire is thereand they have been methodically moving in this direction. The DVR software isbasically a finished package for beta and creating the protected paths andcertification is what the beta and offering is mostly about. UI will be multifaceted IMO. I don’t think they have released anywhere near what they havedeveloped so far as some of it may have to go or be modified for certificationpurposes. SD does try to not make promises they can not keep and those paying$60 and up will watch that process and can contribute. Part of the reason Ichose the 4tb nas pledge was I know the “profit” between its retail cost and whatthey pay for it adds to the pot especially since it was on my list of upgrades[not at the top but a unique opportunity to show support].

For me the most encouraging part is that SD will see that thereare some users of the product that are willing to share some of the risk ofdeveloping a DVR program. Whether it ends up another OTA or copy freely programultimately [ota is a bigger part of SD product business, CC’s are USA, S Korea,Philippines] it could be a better option to even Simple.TV or others mentionedhere. If they truly succeed in CC copyonce content goals it will be great notto have fears of losing WMC be a factor in it’s use for a cost/benefit vs cablecompany products. Comcast has just caught up with what we have been doing foryears with x-1 which is really just a copy of what MS offered them years agowith WMC and 360. Europe took the 360 as a delivery device for IPTV; USA didnot. We could be funding the next step beyond that and TiVo as it exists.

You may not be able to play on Linux but SD has alreadyproved they can record to it and retrieve it to other platforms.

Stay away from Vizio their not so smart, you’ll need anandroid TV stb at the least to view content on it. LG’s this last year finallygot dlna certification for its new line. Most of the newer TVs have dlna but theinterface is clunky and if the nic isn’t backup with a quad core processor wellgood luck with playback [oh and you better check company specs on what codecs exist in their dlna version]. Developing apps could be an act in frustration modelto model or year to year [proved by Samsung]. Sony, Philips and Sharp announcedTV’s at CES to be coming out about now that have android built in.

There simply isn’t enough money in it for MS or they wouldhave made the xbone CC compliant rather than plugging one of Comcasts x-1 stbinto it via hdmi eliminating the need for an IR blaster. They have added thesame dlna that I found in the 360 to xbone. Beyond that I hope they get abetter picture than I could get using my computer that way. A wise productdeveloper once told me he’d rather be a big fish in a small pond than a litttleone in a big pond. This is a small pond with a huge economic moat called drm.He who controls the spice controls the universe!

Hulu, Netflix deliver programs not live streaming TV nor canyou record that content. The Roku does not have mpeg2 codecs and is notdesigned for live streams. Roku balked at adding mpeg2. If you put the livestream from cable next to live from the internet you see a big difference inquality usually. I have done this with Comcast on one screen so others I knowcan see it. But OTA is king of HD picture quality overall typically. I have notfound anything that could out do a pc with Netflix in the past [not a currentsubscriber but will be one again soon to support a new show, damn]. But mini pc’sare much more capable than in the past and can be had for $220 that would workwell all around. Pair a prime with a basic NAS and that mini for under $550 youmight have a system with 3.6TB of usable storage and a very nice pc station. For$100 less an android stb rather than a PC. Or the ultimate starter an older pc [linux orwindows] to record on and play with remotes at other TV’s or directly with a windowspc. Nobody offers this kind of flexibility with support but SD.

I really don’t want to get into this but Starbucks is acompany that has a corporate philosophy I can embrace as a starting point tochanging the bottom line attitude in corporations. In relation to this conceptof corporate morals I have seen SD do things that affect their bottom linenegatively but help a select few users at four fold to retail cost of thedevice sold them. Potentially thousands of dollars to alleviate an issuecreated by another device that they helped the maker of that device see theissue and worked with them to create a software solution to the issue. Then SD implementedits own fix at considerable expense so that users did not have to wait up to 6months for the creator of the issue to update their software. SD decided it wasbetter to solve a problem they had no idea how much it would really cost thembecause they had no way of really knowing how many of the customers were or wouldbe affected in that time span. SD’s heart is in the right side of this economicdebate. They don’t think with their pocket book all that much. I think therates for egp and dvr service are extremely reasonable. One of the features thathas been over looked is how they decide when to start or stop a recording. Itis good that Nick came here to explain it. This will require an always on linkwith the internet to guarantee but it is going to eliminate the 10 minute pastand three minute before issue with files and I am thrilled because that is mymain grip and my videoredo activity to save some dvr space with WMC. There was one person on the SD forum recently who needs to run internet free at times and this solution is not going to work out for them and what they need. But it is a novel approach to setting the actual time things start and stop with a high degree of certainty that everything is recorded to the right file and not having to chop and paste ends together for back to back recordings that don’tline up with WMC guide time. They probably mention it because it is one feature that probably can’t change.

Beyond that this whole project is proof they really do listen to customer comments on the SD forum even if they don’t reply to themdirectly on the forum. And they come here too for a broader spectrum of device usersand opinions on what’s wrong with all of them. So keep it up!

I don’t know why you would think you cannot do 30 second skips through copyonce content, I do it all the time in WMC. With copy freely content I will run videoredo to remove commercials, trim excess after blending ost beginnings and then transcode those not needing a super quality video tosave space or make it more portable [cloud based nas for remote access, mostly music videos]. Something I will not miss is dealing with WTV files any longer. Usingmpeg2.ts files will be a welcome change to me. I will be interested to see how well videoredo will work with the actual recorded file delivered vs WMC buffered and processed content [which the sound handling is really bad IMO].

The list of issues with WMC and CC’s is beginning to fadefrom my brain, three years ago I came here to learn the shared issues so I would better understand specific tuner issues in SD tuners. Hopefully 10 years from now we will have forgotten what it was like just like I have forgotten xp mce and Vista WMC issues and pluses.

Peace and here’s to having it your way. Come and talk on the SD Forum [I know some of you do] I am Mediaman.
ellisr63 and NickTheGreat like this.
post #300 of 1695 Old 05-07-2015, 04:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
what software OR hardware package HAS been reliable?
I used to use BeyondTV on XP for OTA prior to switching to Windows 7 and it worked great. My old standalone Tivos and ReplayTVs were extremely reliable for recording OTA. WMC has been virtually flawless for recording both cable and OTA, with but very few exceptions. My DirecTivos also worked well with DirecTV.

The point being, most software or hardware DVR packages will record TV from various sources just fine. Each one has it strong points as well as weak ones, but every one I've tried so far has done what I expected it to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
With WMC being a dead end, SD was kind forced into this if they want to stay in the hardware business so that all the Windows 10 users who purchase a SD tuner(s) has software to work with it, otherwise the SD hardware is kinid useless.
This is only true if you're dead set on using WMC. The SD tuners are compatible with just about every DVR software program available. You can even use the cablecard tuners with most of them as long as the provider doesn't flag the channels as copy once. This wasn't something SD was forced into, but it makes perfect business sense. Most people are put off by the complexity of using HTPCs. SD is just offering a simpler solution that will open up a larger customer base. If SD hadn't come up with the HDHR DVR then I would likely be looking at switching to something like MythTV or something similar. Now that SageTV has become open source, I expect more competition to emerge in the near future.

Last edited by captain_video; 05-07-2015 at 04:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page