HDHomeRun DVR software Kickstarter campaign - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 620Likes

post #481 of 1695 Old 05-21-2015, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
I assumed the Q died because Win 8 only supports the Xbox 360 as an extender. They would have to release a new product based on Win 7 right about the time Win 8 was released to have it compatible with the Echo.

Anyway, no need to worry about Ceton's future. https://twitter.com/cetoncorp/status/595390444680257536
What? Lol.

The Q was a Windows Embedded 7 device. So it ran Windows 7 (Embedded). It was designed to, and would keep working with the Echo just fine, had it ever come to market

Windows 8 only working with Xbox 360 extenders has nothing to do with anything.

As for that tweet, would you expect them to come out and say "We have no plans, we are ****ed."? That was the first sign of life from the company in months; and it said a whole lot of nothing. It's been discussed elsewhere on this forum.

Last edited by staknhalo; 05-21-2015 at 04:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 1695 Old 05-21-2015, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I think what he meant is that since Windows 8 was about to be released and didn't support extenders, they would have had to release it on Windows 7, which may not have made sense. Even though Windows 7 (Embedded) should still have been supported for several years to come.

Microsoft probably told them back then that WMC was not going to be developed anymore so maybe Ceton decided it wasn't worth launching a new product based on dead software (yeah yeah yeah WMC is still alive and kicking, but maybe if they ran into any showstopping bugs after they launched, there would be no way to fix them)
post #483 of 1695 Old 05-21-2015, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc05 View Post
Microsoft probably told them back then that WMC was not going to be developed anymore so maybe Ceton decided it wasn't worth launching a new product based on dead software (yeah yeah yeah WMC is still alive and kicking, but maybe if they ran into any showstopping bugs after they launched, there would be no way to fix them)
Yeah, that's what I speculated on the last page:

Quote:
Originally Posted by staknhalo View Post
I think MS let Ceton know WMC wasn't gonna be in Win 8 (as originally intended) and that made Ceton doubt the longevity of such a product line or something. That's if Microsoft did anything. It's never been stated they did, so it's all conjecture. But that's what we all originally thought when the Q got shelved. Or it could have been something completely unrelated on Ceton's end. With all the problems people have with their hardware(s) though, I wouldn't wanna imagine what would/could be wrong with the Q if it came to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #484 of 1695 Old 05-21-2015, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Sorry I have a terrible memory

But I am very excited to hopefully get a copy-once alternative to WMC now that it's fully funded and beyond
staknhalo likes this.
post #485 of 1695 Old 05-21-2015, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc05 View Post
Sorry I have a terrible memory

But I am very excited to hopefully get a copy-once alternative to WMC now that it's fully funded and beyond
Amen to that.

Some things that were/will never get fixed/added to WMC - this could/can alleviate that.

Plus, for me WMC worked fine (the best there was at what it did); but I was just getting bored with it. I've been using it for 9 years now. I'm ready for something new. But everything else was either too much hassle or too much hassle while also being inferior. Now I can scratch that itch.
post #486 of 1695 Old 06-24-2015, 12:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
RE: Xbox One Support

I'm not sure about all the technical requirements, but as far as Xbox One support I believe they should put their development efforts into a Universal App (Windows 10) and any device which has Windows 10 as it's core will support it. That means Xbox One, Desktops, Tablets, Embedded devices, and of course Xbox One.
post #487 of 1695 Old 06-24-2015, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1950 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Well, they just announced XBOX 360 compatibility through software for the XBONE, so throw the extender back on there while you are at it Microsoft!
post #488 of 1695 Old 06-24-2015, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Liked: 2569
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
Well, they just announced XBOX 360 compatibility through software for the XBONE, so throw the extender back on there while you are at it Microsoft!
Microsoft did me a favor by not making it capable of being a WMC extender. I probably would have bought one if it had that capability. If I did buy one for that reason I would be really upset with MS for not including WMC in Win10. From this point forward there is no compelling reason for me to use any new Microsoft product.
ellisr63 and Multimediashtick like this.
post #489 of 1695 Old 06-24-2015, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1950 Post(s)
Liked: 626
The lack of extender capability will be the reason I don't get an XBONE. Period. Why? It's the only reason I have any 360s.
post #490 of 1695 Old 06-24-2015, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I have a feeling that Microsoft is going to announce some new functionality on the Xbox One and then shortly after that we're all going to own one.
post #491 of 1695 Old 06-24-2015, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual98 View Post
I have a feeling that Microsoft is going to announce some new functionality on the Xbox One and then shortly after that we're all going to own one.
Not unless that new functionality is Media Center.
billmich and DavidinCT like this.
post #492 of 1695 Old 06-25-2015, 02:21 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by parithon View Post
I'm not sure about all the technical requirements, but as far as Xbox One support I believe they should put their development efforts into a Universal App (Windows 10) and any device which has Windows 10 as it's core will support it. That means Xbox One, Desktops, Tablets, Embedded devices, and of course Xbox One.
SD does have a development kit for this I believe and are keenly aware of making sure that their DVR software will work better than wmc would have. Not that that's saying much as it would probably be patched to death. But they want something everyone would have switched to anyway. Whether that can be done to the same level across all platforms seems more challenging. Items that don't work across all platforms might not be included until they do.

I think interaction with the 360 and xbone might happen to a basic level now that they both have dlna capabilities that might be customized. But the one feature I would miss is only using one tuner with the same channel tuned by any number of extenders at the same time. Then again maybe a throw feature could target multiple clients in the home [drm nightmares for coders]. I think that someone will release a way to use the dlna capabilities by fall if not sooner.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #493 of 1695 Old 07-11-2015, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks
post #494 of 1695 Old 07-19-2015, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Anyone got a chance to play around with this stuff yet? Or is there a pretty tight NDA?
post #495 of 1695 Old 07-19-2015, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2521 Post(s)
Liked: 2154

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
post #496 of 1695 Old 07-19-2015, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual98 View Post
Anyone got a chance to play around with this stuff yet? Or is there a pretty tight NDA?
I've been using it. You can read all you want about it on the Silicondust forums.
https://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=89
post #497 of 1695 Old 07-19-2015, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2214 Post(s)
Liked: 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I've been using it. You can read all you want about it on the Silicondust forums.
https://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=89
Ken, what do you think of no epg grid? Skimming the SD forum it appears patents are an obstacle.
post #498 of 1695 Old 07-19-2015, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
Ken, what do you think of no epg grid? Skimming the SD forum it appears patents are an obstacle.
It's too soon to say since it isn't complete yet. It's easy to find shows to record in the future but I find it difficult to use for live tv. Nick said they are working on something to make it easier to browse live tv but I have no idea what that will look like. I like a traditional grid EPG but maybe I'll like what they are working on even better.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #499 of 1695 Old 07-19-2015, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's too soon to say since it isn't complete yet. It's easy to find shows to record in the future but I find it difficult to use for live tv. Nick said they are working on something to make it easier to browse live tv but I have no idea what that will look like. I like a traditional grid EPG but maybe I'll like what they are working on even better.
Recordings are stored on their servers, not locally, correct?
post #500 of 1695 Old 07-19-2015, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Recordings are stored on their servers, not locally, correct?
No, you store the recording files locally on your equipment. The recording rules are stored on their server.
ellisr63 and bmcn like this.
post #501 of 1695 Old 07-19-2015, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No, you store the recording files locally on your equipment. The recording rules are stored on their server.
Doesn't make sense to me why SD stores the rules other than giving them the ability to sell the data. Thanks.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #502 of 1695 Old 07-19-2015, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 24
It stores your recordings and the log files on a HDHomeRun folder in the recorded TV public Library that should be at the top of the explorer under favorites. I have done two test recordings so far of PBS's Auto Week through Kodi in windows and Android.
The recordings play great and look fine, are in MPG HD format and should be editable with anything that can handle it like video redo. I don't think it supports protected premium channels yet but anything copy freely and not protected should work.
Like said it's a very early beta just to prove it works and get people using it to ferret out bugs and slowly add features.
Sooner or later a Windows, Android and Plex version plus others that will support DRM should be out but might take a while, gotta walk before you can run.
Folks are also asking for a grid style EPG and that will probably eventually happen too to make life easier.
So far all I have to do is pick a show or movie I want to record through Kodi and once everything's set up it's hard wired into the Prime and Kodi does not have to be running, though the PC needs to be awake when the timer event happens supposedly, as it wont wake it up to record.
Don't know for sure as both times the Autoweek came up it recorded it but the box may have already been busy doing something and awake. It doesn't give a lot of options to record yet, just everything and recent but it seems to default to HD only if several SD and HD versions are on at the same time.
post #503 of 1695 Old 07-19-2015, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Doesn't make sense to me why SD stores the rules other than giving them the ability to sell the data. Thanks.
The only information Silicondust provides to any third party is anonymous channel scan information. That information is given to the guide data provider so they can provide accurate listings.

I like having the record rules on their server. I've tried running the record engine on a couple of different machines. When I switched the record engine over I didn't have to set up any of my recordings again, they just kept right on working like nothing happened. If you decide to re-load the OS on your computer or move the recording engine to a NAS device all of your recording rules will be retained. The clients automatically find whatever device on the network is running the record engine so hardware changes appear seamless to anyone using the clients.
bmcn likes this.
post #504 of 1695 Old 07-19-2015, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The only information Silicondust provides to any third party is anonymous channel scan information. That information is given to the guide data provider so they can provide accurate listings.

I like having the record rules on their server. I've tried running the record engine on a couple of different machines. When I switched the record engine over I didn't have to set up any of my recordings again, they just kept right on working like nothing happened. If you decide to re-load the OS on your computer or move the recording engine to a NAS device all of your recording rules will be retained. The clients automatically find whatever device on the network is running the record engine so hardware changes appear seamless to anyone using the clients.
This Luddite forgot about consistency across device types, one of their primary goals. Good explanation. Thanks.
post #505 of 1695 Old 07-19-2015, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Only problem with that right now is we don't have access to the recording rules in case we need to undelete a show. I was playing with it when I first got it running and it has a option to block shows you don't like or never intend to record to clean up the extra crap that makes it hard to get to stuff you want. I accidentally blocked a show I MIGHT want record or watch someday when I was just trying things to see what did what.
So far it sounds like you have to tell somebody with access to their cloud and they can reset your rules but you can't for now. Still a very basic interface with hardly any extra options or settings but I bet they'll fix that one soon too.
I always set favorites or block things on my other devices to save time and space scrolling through stuff I have no interest in but there is always a option to see all or undo things.
post #506 of 1695 Old 07-19-2015, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post
I accidentally blocked a show I MIGHT want record or watch someday when I was just trying things to see what did what.
If you remember the name of the show you can get it back by doing a search by name, then un-hide it from the search results screen.
post #507 of 1695 Old 07-19-2015, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for that, and that's the problem, it was a show I watch occasionally but probably never want to record that I bumped into while trying things. But good info and I guess I can poke around and see if I can remember or figure out which one it was outa a bunch
post #508 of 1695 Old 07-19-2015, 11:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

The problem I see with this implementation is that you really have only have 1 recording device and scheduler per account (and this is kept on SD servers). So if you have kids and an adults in the family everybody will see everybody else recording. Or you need to have separate account for each group of viewer.
post #509 of 1695 Old 07-20-2015, 04:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranle View Post
The problem I see with this implementation is that you really have only have 1 recording device and scheduler per account (and this is kept on SD servers). So if you have kids and an adults in the family everybody will see everybody else recording.
Yes, it's similar to using extenders with WMC.
post #510 of 1695 Old 07-20-2015, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 434
I've been playing around with the View add in on an OpenElec system, and one thing this project will need is a way to correct and otherwise alter guide data.

My local NBC affiliate is WPXI, and I'm getting data for WPIX. The card/tuner are reading WPXI correctly, but the View app pulls in info for the wrong channel. I confirmed this was the case on Android too.

I also like being able to hide garbage channels and SD ones I won't need, as well as renaming them and reordering them by name.

My basement media room and bar
Epson 2030, Onkyo TX-NR626, and Kodi based system

Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page