HDHomeRun DVR software Kickstarter campaign - Page 31 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 620Likes

post #901 of 1695 Old 01-19-2016, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1950 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
So when I select a TV show to record...the one that I am selecting it from is the one that will take the load then, correct? Any idea on how many channels can be recorded at once with an i3 NUC (so i can spread the recording duties around if needed?
When you configure using HDHR Setup, you need to dedicate one box to record, by setting "Use this PC for making recordings" in the DVR tab. In the other boxes, you set it to "Use another PC for making recordings". That is, unless you have some reason for not doing this.

If you set ALL of the boxes to "Use this PC", then whichever PC you are on when you set the recording will be the one that makes the recording.

I stated before you'd be able to do 6, the limitation is your number of tuners. My main HTPC is an old Sandy Bridge i3 2100, and I've never come anywhere close to maxing out the processor making several recordings at once. I'm currently at 5 tuners, but not too long ago I had 7. I downsized and took out my Dual because I wasn't recording enough to justify having it plugged in.
ellisr63 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1695 Old 01-19-2016, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
When you configure using HDHR Setup, you need to dedicate one box to record, by setting "Use this PC for making recordings" in the DVR tab. In the other boxes, you set it to "Use another PC for making recordings". That is, unless you have some reason for not doing this.

If you set ALL of the boxes to "Use this PC", then whichever PC you are on when you set the recording will be the one that makes the recording.

I stated before you'd be able to do 6, the limitation is your number of tuners. My main HTPC is an old Sandy Bridge i3 2100, and I've never come anywhere close to maxing out the processor making several recordings at once. I'm currently at 5 tuners, but not too long ago I had 7. I downsized and took out my Dual because I wasn't recording enough to justify having it plugged in.
Thank you for the help. I checked, and it is my Windows 7 PC that is the DVR... I just wanted to be sure I had enough CPU power for this many channels being recorded.
post #903 of 1695 Old 01-19-2016, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Quote:
When I select that i want to record a tv show it shows all of the times it is on...is there a way to tell it to only record the shows (for this tv show) on one channel instead of every channel and time it is aired? I see once you select record you can select Always or Recent...I am assuming Recent means only first run shows, is this correct?
For now you can only do series recordings. No cherry-picking single episodes. Setting a series to "Recent" will only record episodes with an original air date within the last 90 days. Setting the series to "Always" will record episodes with any original air date. If you already have a recorded episode in the recording folder it won't record a duplicate of the same episode. If you delete or move that episode it will re-record it the next time it airs (if the Always/Recent setting allows it).
ellisr63 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #904 of 1695 Old 01-19-2016, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for the help. I checked, and it is my Windows 7 PC that is the DVR... I just wanted to be sure I had enough CPU power for this many channels being recorded.
I should check my comment though... that was in WMC. I have not tested more than 1 recording at a time on the new HDHR DVR, but I doubt it's going to be a processor hog.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #905 of 1695 Old 01-19-2016, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1594 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by staknhalo View Post
That's fine. Just correcting the mistake in what was stated/assumed is all. If you can't find the info because it got lost in their forum reshuffle (which is a possibility) you could always just ask the question on their forums if you can't find it/don't want to take my word for it.
No no, I appreciate the input. The only reason why I was doubting it was bc I did stop over there at there forums, and read some fairly recent posts (Jan 15ish) that seemed to be suggesting to the contrary... but I think I originally misunderstood you as suggesting DRM was dead for the project as a whole, not just the kodi add-on specifically. I was unaware of that, tho, so thanks for the input... I have no reason to doubt you.
post #906 of 1695 Old 01-19-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
For now you can only do series recordings. No cherry-picking single episodes. Setting a series to "Recent" will only record episodes with an original air date within the last 90 days. Setting the series to "Always" will record episodes with any original air date. If you already have a recorded episode in the recording folder it won't record a duplicate of the same episode. If you delete or move that episode it will re-record it the next time it airs (if the Always/Recent setting allows it).
Thanks for the info...hopefully they will let you select which channel slot to record from when it is completed.

So far it is working fine for me...other than the other night it only recorded 30 minutes of a 1 hour show (first time it has done that...not sure if there was another show selected to start in the middle of that show or not). I just added 2 more tuners so there should never be a conflict since I only watch about 6 channels.
post #907 of 1695 Old 01-19-2016, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's not true. You should only set one PC to do the recording. All recordings set by ANY client will record to the PC that is running the record engine. If you have more than one PC running the recording engine you will create multiple recordings, and each recording will use a tuner for itself.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #908 of 1695 Old 01-19-2016, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's not true. You should only set one PC to do the recording. All recordings set by ANY client will record to the PC that is running the record engine. If you have more than one PC running the recording engine you will create multiple recordings, and each recording will use a tuner for itself.
I should have been more clear. That's what I'm saying, but I was assuming (yeah, I know) that the OP would not be going around and setting the same show to record on all his record engine boxes. I was thinking maybe he likes Nova, so he records Nova on his favorite box, but his 14 year old daughter just loves American Idol, so it is set to record on that record engine box. I wouldn't do it that way, but I could see where someone might want to, in this case let's say this 14 YO daughter has a laptop, and she likes to take it with her to watch these recordings without streaming.

But, that said, I think I'm seeing what you are saying too. If he picks Nova, and she picks American Idol, and they both have record engines, they will both record BOTH shows? Interesting... Seems it wouldn't work that way, given what the config program says.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #909 of 1695 Old 01-19-2016, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 345
All this brings up a question.. Does the Kickstarter DVR act in a whole home fashion with PC's running the application?

post #910 of 1695 Old 01-19-2016, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
But, that said, I think I'm seeing what you are saying too. If he picks Nova, and she picks American Idol, and they both have record engines, they will both record BOTH shows? Interesting... Seems it wouldn't work that way, given what the config program says.
That's exactly what will happen.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #911 of 1695 Old 01-19-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
I should have been more clear. That's what I'm saying, but I was assuming (yeah, I know) that the OP would not be going around and setting the same show to record on all his record engine boxes. I was thinking maybe he likes Nova, so he records Nova on his favorite box, but his 14 year old daughter just loves American Idol, so it is set to record on that record engine box. I wouldn't do it that way, but I could see where someone might want to, in this case let's say this 14 YO daughter has a laptop, and she likes to take it with her to watch these recordings without streaming.

What I have been doing (I am the only one that sets up recordings) is: Look into the recordings que in Kodi (all 3 machines display the same info), and if a show is not set to record, and i want to record it... I select record. This could be done from any of my Kodi machines as they all display the same recordings in Que, and all record to a windows mapped drive (which is my NAS). This is the correct way isn't it? Hopefully in the future their will be support for UnRaid to, as that is using a i7 CPU.
post #912 of 1695 Old 01-19-2016, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Well I just got the 10 client up and running and set this box to record as well as my win7 box and we'll see what happens as both are set to record one PBS show I like but can live without just to see how things work. The win 7 box even recorded a copy once movie and the 10 box couldn't play it, never tried it on the 7 box but pretty sure it also wouldn't have played as no DRM support yet.
If I get two recordings of the same show that settles it but nothing new lately except that one non playable movie.
The Kodi client also works fine and will playback anything that isn't protected, it was just a proof of concept move and to give us kickstarter supporters something to play with and give feedback.
post #913 of 1695 Old 01-19-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post
Well I just got the 10 client up and running and set this box to record as well as my win7 box and we'll see what happens as both are set to record one PBS show I like but can live without just to see how things work. The win 7 box even recorded a copy once movie and the 10 box couldn't play it, never tried it on the 7 box but pretty sure it also wouldn't have played as no DRM support yet.
If I get two recordings of the same show that settles it but nothing new lately except that one non playable movie.
The Kodi client also works fine and will playback anything that isn't protected, it was just a proof of concept move and to give us kickstarter supporters something to play with and give feedback.
So there is a DVR in the Win7 app now??

post #914 of 1695 Old 01-19-2016, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
All this brings up a question.. Does the Kickstarter DVR act in a whole home fashion with PC's running the application?
It's a whole home DVR with one central recording location. You can use whatever devices you want as clients as long as they can run Kodi, HDHomeRun View, or the Windows 10 app. I have the record engine running on a NAS. I use a Raspberry Pi 2, a Nexus Player, a Windows 10 tablet, an Android phone and a Windows 7 PC as clients.
post #915 of 1695 Old 01-19-2016, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So there is a DVR in the Win7 app now??
Kodi is the only client for Win7 for now. They will be adding the DVR stuff to the HDHomeRun View program but it isn't finished yet.
post #916 of 1695 Old 01-19-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
It's a whole home DVR with one central recording location. You can use whatever devices you want as clients as long as they can run Kodi, HDHomeRun View, or the Windows 10 app. I have the record engine running on a NAS. I use a Raspberry Pi 2, a Nexus Player, a Windows 10 tablet, an Android phone and a Windows 7 PC as clients.
For all but DRM content...

Quote:
Kodi is the only client for Win7 for now. They will be adding the DVR stuff to the HDHomeRun View program but it isn't finished yet.
That's what I understand but was reading this which suggests otherwise:

Quote:

post #917 of 1695 Old 01-19-2016, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For all but DRM content...
They don't have DRM content working on any platform yet. Android HDHomeRun View can play DRM live tv, but it did that long before the DVR project started.
Quote:
That's what I understand but was reading this which suggests otherwise:
The record engine can run on Windows 7. The HDHomeRun client can run in Kodi on Windows 7. What part don't you understand?
post #918 of 1695 Old 01-19-2016, 04:56 PM

I can do that in the LiveTV part of Emby too. With ServerWMC it will manage all recordings, even DRM ones, but I just cannot watch those in Emby.

So, with Kodi HDHR add in you can do this outside WMC.

I hope that Silicon Dust can get beyond vaporware with this. I'm not using it right now as I don't use Kodi but I am doing an rPi project with OpenELEC/Kodi in my "spare" time so maybe I'll check it out after getting that set up but if DRM is never going to be supported in this realm why spend time on it?

post #919 of 1695 Old 01-19-2016, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I can do that in the LiveTV part of Emby too. With ServerWMC it will manage all recordings, even DRM ones, but I just cannot watch those in Emby.

I hope that Silicon Dust can get beyond vaporware with this. I'm not using it right now as I don't use Kodi but I am doing an rPi project with OpenELEC/Kodi in my "spare" time so maybe I'll check it out after getting that set up but if DRM is never going to be supported in this realm why spend time on it?
Now we're just going in circles...
Ken.F likes this.
post #920 of 1695 Old 01-19-2016, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Right, WMC is not required. The only thing I even need a computer for is installing the software on my NAS.
Quote:
The HDHomeRun DVR is pretty useful right now if you don't have DRM. If you have a lot of DRM channels you can't really do much at this point.
The OpenELEC Kodi installation is pretty easy. If you don't like Kodi you might be able to find another use for the RPi2. RasPlex and Plex Media Player work great on mine.
post #921 of 1695 Old 01-19-2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:

One big thing I like is... I can record to my NAS, which I could not do with WMC.
post #922 of 1695 Old 01-19-2016, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
I know this. I put money in on it last spring. There was supposed to be at least an RC by this point. I've seen Nick state that there won't be a grid EPG. I'm in the process of easing my wife from U-Verse to WMC right now. She likes her grid and so do I, actually. We use the grid every single day. I have not plans to upgrade to Win10.
Look at a nexus player or shield tv, silicondust plans to integrate the DVR functions into the live channels app. It will give you a 3 hour grid guide. Nexus is cheaper than extenders too
post #923 of 1695 Old 01-19-2016, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arative View Post
Look at a nexus player or shield tv, silicondust plans to integrate the DVR functions into the live channels app. It will give you a 3 hour grid guide. Nexus is cheaper than extenders too
He needs DRM/Copy-Once support - and according to mikeb's (of SD) comment here, it appears their Live Channels app DVR implementation will not support DRM - it will be OTA/Copy-Freely only - just like the Kodi app

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb
Currently the android VIEW app only supports DRM using software playback, automatically switching to software mode when a DRM channel is selected. The live channels feature in android tv imposes restrictions on what can be drawn where, effectively disabling the ability to provide software playback.
https://www.silicondust.com/forum/vi...c.php?p=168900

Last edited by staknhalo; 01-19-2016 at 06:50 PM.
post #924 of 1695 Old 01-20-2016, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lon Seidman put out a new HDHomeRun DVR video yesterday.

clarkss12 and Sammy2 like this.
post #925 of 1695 Old 01-20-2016, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Kinda off topic, but not really. Was asked if this HDHomeRun DVR could record several sub channels from one main channel and only use one tuner, I am assuming this only pertains to OTA or unencrypted QAM channels. What I mean is, say I have a primary OTA channel, 31.1 and 5 sub channels 31.2, 31.3, etc. will my HDHomeRun DVR record all 6 channels and only use one tuner?? The answer is NO, at least at this point in time. This was tested using my OTA tuners and the HDHomeRun DVR running on my WD MyCloud NAS.

I also tested the same scenario using tvheadend server running on my $30 Android TV stick as my whole home DVR/PVR. I was able to record all six channels simultaneously while only using ONE tuner of one of my dual tuners. To be noted, my recording destination is an older Synology NAS.
post #926 of 1695 Old 01-20-2016, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by staknhalo View Post
He needs DRM/Copy-Once support - and according to mikeb's (of SD) comment here, it appears their Live Channels app DVR implementation will not support DRM - it will be OTA/Copy-Freely only - just like the Kodi app
I want to point out something because it's not clear in your post. Android has 2 apps, HDHomerun View and Live Channels. The View app will have DRM.
post #927 of 1695 Old 01-20-2016, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkosigan View Post
I want to point out something because it's not clear in your post. Android has 2 apps, HDHomerun View and Live Channels. The View app will have DRM.
I just want to point out Android HDHomeRun View already has DRM. It's the DVR part that will be added later.
post #928 of 1695 Old 01-20-2016, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just a quick question here. Is the "entire family" of WD My Cloud devices supported (including, for example, a 4-drive EX4, from the Expert Series), or are their any limitations I should be aware of when considering a NAS/RAID option to use with HDHR DVR? It seems like there's several options to choose from, from "Personal Clouds" to "Expert Series" to "Business Series", etc.

I'm leaning towards an EX4, FWIW. I just want to make sure that's a viable success path with HDHR DVR.
post #929 of 1695 Old 01-20-2016, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
I just want to point out Android HDHomeRun View already has DRM. It's the DVR part that will be added later.
lol I meant that works with recorded content.
Ken.F likes this.
post #930 of 1695 Old 01-20-2016, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
Just a quick question here. Is the "entire family" of WD My Cloud devices supported (including, for example, a 4-drive EX4, from the Expert Series), or are their any limitations I should be aware of when considering a NAS/RAID option to use with HDHR DVR? It seems like there's several options to choose from, from "Personal Clouds" to "Expert Series" to "Business Series", etc.

I'm leaning towards an EX4, FWIW. I just want to make sure that's a viable success path with HDHR DVR.
The Kickstarter page says "The WD My Cloud NAS products are supported" so I assume any of them will work. I'm using it on a 2TB My Cloud.

They listed some general specs in the engineering notes.

From: https://www.silicondust.com/forum/vi...=20526#p126522
NAS Requirements:
* x86 or ARM based CPU.
* 256MB RAM minimum.
* Must be running Linux.
* Must support SSH access.
psuKinger likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page