HDHomeRun DVR software Kickstarter campaign - Page 52 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 620Likes

post #1531 of 1695 Old 07-31-2017, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 52
How quick are the channel changes on the DVR side of things? I still use WMC and will probably continue to do so as long as I can, but yesterday I was playing with Live TV through Emby and I could literally count to 30 between channel changes in Emby. I imagine that's gotta be an Emby issue if WMC can change either of my HDHR units (OTA and Prime) reasonably quickly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 1695 Old 07-31-2017, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2214 Post(s)
Liked: 2422
Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual98 View Post
How quick are the channel changes on the DVR side of things? I still use WMC and will probably continue to do so as long as I can, but yesterday I was playing with Live TV through Emby and I could literally count to 30 between channel changes in Emby. I imagine that's gotta be an Emby issue if WMC can change either of my HDHR units (OTA and Prime) reasonably quickly.
Channel changes are quick. You can use the apps for live TV without a DVR subscription so you can try out the channel changes for yourself if you want.
post #1533 of 1695 Old 07-31-2017, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
I'm assuming they're still planning to fix DRM before they start our clocks, no?

I too, am feeling a little guilty... but I also have Showtime bundled into my current Comcast package, and I'm paying $8 a month separately for the Amazon Prime Showtime channel, because I can't get Showtime to come through via the HDHR app... sooo...

P.S. Otherwise, I *really* like what this DVR has become at this point in time... at least the experience we have in my home, on NVidia Shield ATV's, Win10 Desktop and Laptops, and smart phones and tablets... it's really pretty great. Again, other than that I'm paying $8 a month for Showtime because I can't take advantage of the fact that I got it "for free" with my current bundle...
I cut my losses on the SD solution a year and a half ago when epg123 first came out. Well, I already lost $30 on the KickStarter but not any time fooling with it.

Quote:
This is mostly due to Emby transcoding the streams. I get decent load times with the latest version of the Roku app though. I have a few DRM channels that aren't visible in the app but that's what my Ceton Echos are for so no big deal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1534 of 1695 Old 07-31-2017, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Channel changes are quick. You can use the apps for live TV without a DVR subscription so you can try out the channel changes for yourself if you want.
I've messed with the HDHR app on my Windows 10 pc and a couple Android tablets and have been pleased with it so far, I wasn't sure if the DVR subscription added anything additional. I haven't played with it enough to find a show that I wanted to watch (akin to a guide search).
post #1535 of 1695 Old 07-31-2017, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
...I wasn't sure if the DVR subscription added anything additional.
With the DVR subscription you can pause live TV but that's supposed to be available for the non-subscribers soon as well. I'm not sure if you'll need to install the DVR backend for that capability or not.
post #1536 of 1695 Old 07-31-2017, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked: 3508
Quote:
With the DVR subscription you can pause live TV but that's supposed to be available for the non-subscribers soon as well. I'm not sure if you'll need to install the DVR backend for that capability or not.
I'm not sure how that(pause) would work without the record engine running unless it's using a flushing buffer of some sort.
post #1537 of 1695 Old 07-31-2017, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1503 Post(s)
Liked: 610
[QUOTE=perpetual98;54560964]How quick are the channel changes on the DVR side of things? I still use WMC and will probably continue to do so as long as I can, but yesterday I was playing with Live TV through Emby and I could literally count to 30 between channel changes in Emby. I imagine that's gotta be an Emby issue if WMC can change either of my HDHR units (OTA and Prime) reasonably quickly.[/QUOTES]

What I can tell is that the SD HDHR DVR Software, with the engine installed on my QNAP TS-431+ NAS, changes channels waaaaaay faster on my NVidia Shield (ie new software running on modern hardward) than Win7 WMC, installed on my old 2012 desktop, did on a Ceton Echo.

Way faster. Better performance in basically every way. I think that's what's "best" about SD DVR. It's not that the program itself is somehow "better" than Win7 WMC. It's simply that it works well on/with modern hardware.... And the end result is a much better end user experience (in my house at least).
Sammy2 likes this.
post #1538 of 1695 Old 07-31-2017, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
I'm assuming they're still planning to fix DRM before they start our clocks, no?

I too, am feeling a little guilty... but I also have Showtime bundled into my current Comcast package, and I'm paying $8 a month separately for the Amazon Prime Showtime channel, because I can't get Showtime to come through via the HDHR app... sooo...

P.S. Otherwise, I *really* like what this DVR has become at this point in time... at least the experience we have in my home, on NVidia Shield ATV's, Win10 Desktop and Laptops, and smart phones and tablets... it's really pretty great. Again, other than that I'm paying $8 a month for Showtime because I can't take advantage of the fact that I got it "for free" with my current bundle...
They have not started the clock on any of the $60 level kickstarter contributors original or new!?! Just those that start now at $35 are on an annual fee. Somehow I have managed to watch the shows that have drm via old green, W10 or on demand via computer one way or the other if I really had to see it.

@KenF The basic program without DVR subscription has pause/ff/rew in limited fashion. Not sure how they are doing that but it isn't via the DVR. Verified it is in the current release via someone who was having issues setting up the DVR. Was not loaded and they could pause and rewind live tv to where it started up [short test]. Can't remember the specifics of their issue, there was so much stuff going on this weekend with the api change messing things up.
post #1539 of 1695 Old 08-01-2017, 02:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimediashtick View Post
The basic program without DVR subscription has pause/ff/rew in limited fashion. Not sure how they are doing that but it isn't via the DVR. Verified it is in the current release via someone who was having issues setting up the DVR. Was not loaded and they could pause and rewind live tv to where it started up [short test]. Can't remember the specifics of their issue, there was so much stuff going on this weekend with the api change messing things up.
Maybe other platforms are different but with the record engine not running I can't pause live TV on my Nexus Player in the grey app. The pause button takes me to the search box at the top of the channels list and opens the onscreen keyboard with live TV still playing in the background.

Nick mentioned it near the end of May in this post:
https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/...295816#p295816
"Next things to be released are expected to be DVR record engine on the WDC app-store and pause/ff/rw of live TV for protected content and non-DVR customers."

I assumed it would work on all supported platforms when they add it, but who knows?
post #1540 of 1695 Old 08-01-2017, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimediashtick View Post
They have not started the clock on any of the $60 level kickstarter contributors original or new!?! Just those that start now at $35 are on an annual fee. Somehow I have managed to watch the shows that have drm via old green, W10 or on demand via computer one way or the other if I really had to see it.
Any chance you could further clarify what "just those that start now at $35" means? I am not an original $60 kickstarter contributor. But I did give them $35 about 18 months ago, and have been using it as Beta ever since.

Apologies for what is probably a dumb question, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to check my subscription status myself. I tried to go to my.hdhomerun.com while I was at home, and click on my "DVR" entry, and didn't see any information about my subscription. I tried logging into my account over on the Silicon Dust website/forums, and couldn't find anything under my profile. I clicked on the FAQ forum and scanned for a thread on how to check this myself and didn't see one... Again, I'm rooting (hard) for this to succeed, and am not/have not been salty about the time it's taken to get to this point... but it will be slightly annoying if they've kicked things off for me before giving me a finished product.
post #1541 of 1695 Old 08-01-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Any chance you could further clarify what "just those that start now at $35" means? I am not an original $60 kickstarter contributor. But I did give them $35 about 18 months ago, and have been using it as Beta ever since.

Apologies for what is probably a dumb question, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to check my subscription status myself. I tried to go to my.hdhomerun.com while I was at home, and click on my "DVR" entry, and didn't see any information about my subscription. I tried logging into my account over on the Silicon Dust website/forums, and couldn't find anything under my profile. I clicked on the FAQ forum and scanned for a thread on how to check this myself and didn't see one... Again, I'm rooting (hard) for this to succeed, and am not/have not been salty about the time it's taken to get to this point... but it will be slightly annoying if they've kicked things off for me before giving me a finished product.
That is a good question. I don't think your first year has started either? I would think that the site that controls the registration of a tuner would possibly be where the info is but I can't find my link to it to check and see if such info is there? Thought I had put the info in a folder in Outlook but not finding it.
post #1542 of 1695 Old 08-01-2017, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Using myself as an example, here's my best guess, which may be totally wrong. I didn't partake in the Kickstarter. If I went and bought the DVR package today, My $35 would get me through 8/1/2018. I have enough monthly things nickel and diming me to death or I'd probably pay the $35 to give it a spin. Now if I found out that I could buy into the DVR solution for $35 and the clock wouldn't start until everyone's started at some point in the future, I'd probably buy it. I'm weird like that though.
post #1543 of 1695 Old 08-02-2017, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Using myself as an example, here's my best guess, which may be totally wrong. I didn't partake in the Kickstarter. If I went and bought the DVR package today, My $35 would get me through 8/1/2018. I have enough monthly things nickel and diming me to death or I'd probably pay the $35 to give it a spin. Now if I found out that I could buy into the DVR solution for $35 and the clock wouldn't start until everyone's started at some point in the future, I'd probably buy it. I'm weird like that though.
It is my (unconfirmed) hope/guess that you are right. What they've probably done is changed the terms of purchase for new buyers, it probably says now "buy now and get 1 year service". Whereas, when I bought, the deal was "1 year from when it gets out of Beta (paraphrased)"... I'm thinking/hoping/assuming they're still sticking to that.

Like I said above, it's been a pretty great DVR solution for most of the last 12 or so months... as long as you didn't need DRM.
post #1544 of 1695 Old 08-03-2017, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I have an HDHomerun Extend for OTA broadcasts and a subscription to HDHR's DVR. I have some questions for other subscribers.

1. Is it possible for me to "tell" HDHR to ignore certain stations that I never watch and not even display them on the channel list and guide and, if so, how do I do that?

2. We only have 6 OTA channels available in our city. For two of these channels, HDHR does not display a guide. Omni, for example, is one of them. How do I get the guide to be visible?

Thanks for the assistance.
post #1545 of 1695 Old 08-03-2017, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herve View Post
1. Is it possible for me to "tell" HDHR to ignore certain stations that I never watch and not even display them on the channel list and guide and, if so, how do I do that?
Go to http://my.hdhomerun.com and click the channels link under your tuner device. That opens the channel lineup for your tuner. Click the star next to each channel to toggle the setting. Gold star is favorite, X is disabled, empty star is normal. Disable any of the channels you don't want to see.

Quote:
2. We only have 6 OTA channels available in our city. For two of these channels, HDHR does not display a guide. Omni, for example, is one of them. How do I get the guide to be visible?
Post your guide issues at the Silicondust forum here:
https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=127

Be sure to read the post in the announcement section at the top.
post #1546 of 1695 Old 08-03-2017, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Go to http://my.hdhomerun.com and click the channels link under your tuner device. That opens the channel lineup for your tuner. Click the star next to each channel to toggle the setting. Gold star is favorite, X is disabled, empty star is normal. Disable any of the channels you don't want to see.

Post your guide issues at the Silicondust forum here:
https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=127

Be sure to read the post in the announcement section at the top.
Thanks very much!
post #1547 of 1695 Old 08-05-2017, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Just got one of these going for my new Windows 10/Kodi Kaby Lake build.
Pretty awesome deal. I tried almost every tuner setup out there and they're pretty much crap compared to WMC. This is the first tuner I consider a valid replacement for my WMC 8.1 setup.
Thank you Silicon Dust!

HTPC | NAS | Harmony Elite | DENON X4200W | Sony XBR75X940D
Philips BDP7501 | Klipsch RF7II, RC64II, CDT5650CII | SVS SB2000 x2
post #1548 of 1695 Old 08-05-2017, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahmzy View Post
Just got one of these going for my new Windows 10/Kodi Kaby Lake build.
Pretty awesome deal. I tried almost every tuner setup out there and they're pretty much crap compared to WMC. This is the first tuner I consider a valid replacement for my WMC 8.1 setup.
Thank you Silicon Dust!
One or two question about Windows 10 and HDhomerun, is this HDHR-HD? I have Win 8.1 with WMC and record HBO etc, are you able to record DRM movies without WMC on Win 10?
post #1549 of 1695 Old 08-06-2017, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked: 524
^^ I'm 100% OTA, so no DRM.

HTPC | NAS | Harmony Elite | DENON X4200W | Sony XBR75X940D
Philips BDP7501 | Klipsch RF7II, RC64II, CDT5650CII | SVS SB2000 x2
post #1550 of 1695 Old 08-08-2017, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My wife and I have the HDHR app on our Win 10 pc, Shield TV and Samsung Note 4 phone. We have subscribed to the HDHR DVR service for OTA broadcasts. As soon as the problems with the HDHR DVR app go bye bye, we will say bye bye to cable.

When the Shield's internal memory (which includes a 2tb Seagate USB3 hard drive) is used as the DVR storage device, there is a problem with the HDHR apps on the various devices. Sometimes the DVR buttons (record, pause, ff rwd, etc.) do not appear at all, or only the record button appears, etc. Many times a particular device's app (or all apps) says that there is no DVR available.

However, when the PC's hard drive is used as the storage device, everything appears normal with DVR on all devices. All the buttons appear and function normally on all devices.

I would prefer that the Shield do the recording. I'd rather not have the PC running 24/7 just to be able to record HDHR OTA programs. That's the sole reason I bought the external USB hd in the first place.

Any other Shield / HDHR-DVR owner-subscribers experience this kind of problem and, if so, did you find a solution?

Thanks.
post #1551 of 1695 Old 08-08-2017, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I run it as a test to record one PBS show I like and so far it appears to be recording every episode that meets the settings. I have it on my Android media player and win 10 and it records to my pc HDTV storage drive no matter which device tells it to record it. I also have the hacked in copy of WMC and for the most part it also works fine and supports protected channels fine too.
I set my pc to sleep when not busy so when either set up requests a recording the big box wakes up about 5 minutes early or so to get ready and off it goes.
When my pc sleeps it only draws about a watt. I have a network switch and printers in standby plus my old 7 box sleeping too and even with all that my UPS only shows about 5 watts draw. I set it to sleep after half an hour, drop the monitor after 10 minutes and power down any drive not busy too.
You might want to try that if you haven't already as long as your setup is stable going in and out of sleep mode and it should save you some electricity and keep the pc room cooler as well.
For my setup I see more issues with WMC reporting no tuner available and not recording something from time to time then I see with the android box and when it gets bad I restart the Prime and reboot the pc and it seems to reset it for quite a while.
If they ever get drm all sorted and all devices playing well together maybe I can drop WMC but they appear to be working on it and time will tell.
Herve and perpetual98 like this.
post #1552 of 1695 Old 08-08-2017, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post
I run it as a test to record one PBS show I like and so far it appears to be recording every episode that meets the settings. I have it on my Android media player and win 10 and it records to my pc HDTV storage drive no matter which device tells it to record it. I also have the hacked in copy of WMC and for the most part it also works fine and supports protected channels fine too.
I set my pc to sleep when not busy so when either set up requests a recording the big box wakes up about 5 minutes early or so to get ready and off it goes.
When my pc sleeps it only draws about a watt. I have a network switch and printers in standby plus my old 7 box sleeping too and even with all that my UPS only shows about 5 watts draw. I set it to sleep after half an hour, drop the monitor after 10 minutes and power down any drive not busy too.
You might want to try that if you haven't already as long as your setup is stable going in and out of sleep mode and it should save you some electricity and keep the pc room cooler as well.
For my setup I see more issues with WMC reporting no tuner available and not recording something from time to time then I see with the android box and when it gets bad I restart the Prime and reboot the pc and it seems to reset it for quite a while.
If they ever get drm all sorted and all devices playing well together maybe I can drop WMC but they appear to be working on it and time will tell.
We also have the WMC item you mentioned. However, we lucky Canucks cannot use its DVR function.

I will keep the sleep mode suggestion in mind, although I don't like the whole concept for "security" reasons, in our 1984 world.

Tonight there is a variation on the theme I mentioned above. After watching a recorded show on our TV, with the Shield's HDHR app as the source, all of a sudden the DVR controls on the app disappeared. Tried re-starting it a couple of times, but the controls are still missing and there is the increasingly familiar "no DVR configured" on the "recorded" page.

OTOH, the HDHR app on our android Note 4 still has those controls, as does the PC's app.

I can't help but think that the Shield - HDHR marriage was one that was not made in heaven.
post #1553 of 1695 Old 08-08-2017, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Set a password and use it. I have one on every box I use and for the 10 box even when it decides to occasionally crash and reboot it still internally boots to 10 and my recordings work as normal, I just have to enter my password to get it to actually let me in. I figured if it crashes with a password set it would just sit there waiting for a password but it goes right back to working, I just have to enter it to get back in to see and interact with it which is nice as it would suck to loose all my captures waiting for me to come in and type my stuff in to get it fully booted and working.
post #1554 of 1695 Old 08-17-2017, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Having issues with my OPPO 103D playing channels through my network, any special configuration needed?

or so these 2 things simply not play well together?
post #1555 of 1695 Old 08-17-2017, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked: 3508
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post
Having issues with my OPPO 103D playing channels through my network, any special configuration needed?

The last time I tried I seem to recall it would play for a very short period and then stop. To be honest, I can't remember if it ever worked correctly as I've been using other devices(Amazon Fire TV box) to use the SD app.

If I'm not mistaken, the Oppo is DTCP compliant but I'm not sure if that's all that's needed.
billmich likes this.
post #1556 of 1695 Old 08-23-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post

Generally such DVD devices lack MPEG2 codecs necessary for most cable and all OTA playback. And if they do they tend to not associate them with the ethernet port processes. Even when they are DLNA compliant or certified they require conversion to h.264 [caveat, it must also work with .ts file]. Thus the Extend version of the SD family of tuners was basically done in an effort to bridge the issue in DLNA delivery as well as to facilitate wifi devices. Anyone who has used conventional DLNA playback programs though knows that the UI is clunky, slow and can not hold much in terms of guide information outside of channel number and call sign retrieval.
billmich likes this.
post #1557 of 1695 Old 08-30-2017, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My "grey" (Beta DVR) app on NVidia Shield appears to have turned "green" this morning, all by itself... I'm guessing updated by way of the Google Play Store.
post #1558 of 1695 Old 08-30-2017, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
My "grey" (Beta DVR) app on NVidia Shield appears to have turned "green" this morning, all by itself... I'm guessing updated by way of the Google Play Store.
I saw an update on my phone's update notification for this today. Sure enough both apps are green so which is which? Suppose it doesn't matter much as I don't use it anyways as I'm perfectly happy with WMC and epg123.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

post #1559 of 1695 Old 08-30-2017, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Per the Google Play Store:

Quote:
WHAT'S NEW

Bug fixes
Icon change
Updated
August 29, 2017
post #1560 of 1695 Old 08-30-2017, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
I saw an update on my phone's update notification for this today. Sure enough both apps are green so which is which? Suppose it doesn't matter much as I don't use it anyways as I'm perfectly happy with WMC and epg123.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
I mean, this isn't very hard, for me at least.... the "grey" app, with DVR functionality and DD 5.1 support, was the very first, most-easily-accessible app on my NVidia Shield. And the "old" green app was buried way towards the back of the line... I really ought to take 15 seconds and permanently uninstall that old thing.

I know you're pretty "set" when it comes to WMC and epg123, and that's fine. To each their own. But I really think this DVR, at least on the hardware I am now currently rocking, vastly outperforms my Win7 WMC experiences, when they were running on my old Win7 WMC hardware.... JMO, and TIFWIW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page