Plugging Old Home Theatre System into PC - Moved Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-07-2015, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Smile Plugging Old Home Theatre System into PC - Moved Thread

Hi guys,

I dont know if im the right forum page but here I go

Ive got a SC-HT70 Panansonic System which has been good up to this point aswell as set of wireless speakers using a wireless transmitter plugged into the line out port.

The dvd player which came with it has now bit the dust unfortunately, was thinking of building a PC and use the 5 speakers, 1 Sub and 1 wireless transmitter which are working into it.

But cause there's no connection point on the ends of the speaker wire, just the bare wire itself. What do I need to make it work with a PCI sound card, People been saying getting rca converter or a 3.5mm converter but whats the best way :P

Regards

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-07-2015, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 621
You do not want to plug speakers directly into a PC. You'll need an amp of some sort. If you are on an extreme budget, I recommend going to a thrift store and see what receivers you can find there.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-07-2015, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 434
The amp/receiver in that system does not have any sort of digital input. That means you can only get 2 channel sound by connecting it to your computer the way you would connect a basic pair of PC speakers.

You can't really just plug passive speakers (like you own) into a computer. They need to get power from an amp somewhere in the chain.

My basement media room and bar
Epson 2030, Onkyo TX-NR626, and Kodi based system

Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-08-2015, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Kemeys View Post
Hi guys,

I dont know if im the right forum page but here I go

Ive got a SC-HT70 Panansonic System which has been good up to this point aswell as set of wireless speakers using a wireless transmitter plugged into the line out port.

The dvd player which came with it has now bit the dust unfortunately, was thinking of building a PC and use the 5 speakers, 1 Sub and 1 wireless transmitter which are working into it.

But cause there's no connection point on the ends of the speaker wire, just the bare wire itself. What do I need to make it work with a PCI sound card, People been saying getting rca converter or a 3.5mm converter but whats the best way :P

Regards

Jason
The MSI Media Live Diva 5.1 would be ideal for this purpose except for the minor problem of saddling yourself to old, proprietary technology. The d2Audio 100watt/channel amp would be more than sufficient for your needs. Finding the memory would be easy (DDR2-800), but the AM2+ processor could be a challenge.

The right way would probably be to buy yourself a good 5.1 receiver. to power the speakers. Make sure it has an HDMI input for your TV.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-10-2015, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Does the amp section of the DVD unit still work or is the whole thing kaput? If it's still working then all you need is stereo L/R line out from a PC and you'll be good (though you'll have to live with generated/matrixed surround modes for all the speakers to work). Just input the stereo RCA signal (red & white) to either the VCR or AUX input on the back and select that input when playing PC content.

If the whole thing has bit the dust, you could pick up a replacement Pansonic HTIB-receiver on eBay for cheap, various models would work you wouldn't have to find your exact one. If you can find one at a good price that is.

Your other option is to get a low-end AVR on the cheap to replace it with--this will net you better sound quality plus modern features like HDMI inputs. I think you can find entry-level receivers for around $200 which should do the job. Most Panasonic HTIBs used 6-ohm speakers I believe which are okay to use on most standard AVRs. The only problem you're going to have is that the "subwoofer" in your set is passive and an AVR would not have an amp channel able to drive it. Even if you had more amp channels than speakers, they typically can't be configured for LFE/subwoofer duty, unfortunately. In that case you'd either have to find an amp for that thing or buy a cheap/low-end powered sub to replace it with.

Barring all this, if the main unit is not functioning any longer, you could just forget about the Panasonic stuff altogether and just buy an AVR and new speakers and start from scratch.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-19-2015, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys

Just a update, will be scrapping the old setup with sound bar.

Was going to build the Computer to replace both the DVD and freesat box.

But cheers for the advice guys

Regards

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
home theater connection , htpc build , sound , speakers and subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page