Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #151 of 251 Old 10-24-2016, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked: 1556
One nice feature on the ThinkCentre is it has four rear USB 3 ports on the back vs. only two USB ports on the back of the NUC.
Nowadays, four USB ports in total in insufficient, six should be the bare minimum.

I'm using 5 USB ports currently on my (six USB port) Zotac mini:
-Desktop 4 port USB hub
-Optical drive
-Illuminated Keyboard
-Battery free mouse
-Bio-metric scanner (fingerprint reader for windows login)

"we're still here!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 251 Old 10-24-2016, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
It's still too early to make any definitive calls about upcoming Kaby Lake SFF products, especially ones that come from vendors like Lenovo and Acer, who have a habit of promising things and not delivering. Intel hasn't even announced their Kaby Lake NUCs, yet just about every other player has their products entering channels this month, so I'd say something must be going on with their product refinements. It's probably best to just wait until next year and see what the first three months bring us.

As for your GPU question, the Intel HD graphics have been designed. chiefly, with video tasks in mind. However, they won't compare with any current dedicated video card, as the Intel GPUs rely on system memory instead of dedicated memory. The current generation can handle the most basic of 4K video duties just fine and was designed for the mobile photo/video crowd, though with a NUC and similar designs, you will be severely limited by the hardware, which is obviously locked into lesser mobile offerings. The best configuration for a Kaby Lake NUC or similar product to be used for video work would be the high-end CPU, with the full 32GB of the fastest RAM that will run in the board and the best high-capacity SSDs (M.2 + 2.5-inch SATA) you can get your hands on. Unfortunately, you're well into desktop pricing for that kind of configuration and you'd get your money's worth with a full-blown SFF desktop. We're waiting to see more mini-STX systems hit with Kaby Lake, so I'd hold out for one of those for video stuff, if size and performance are important, as they curb-stomp the NUC-type products with desktop-grade performance and more storage options. However, you're still going to run into desktop-level pricing with those, so you may just want to go with a well-armed mini-ITX system, if you don't mind the significant bump in size.

I'm still waiting for a kaby-lake anything. Even an apollo-lake nuc would be cool to see. Everything is getting announced and it's on the intel roadmap. However nothing in the flesh yet that i know of.
post #153 of 251 Old 10-24-2016, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
We're waiting to see more mini-STX systems hit with Kaby Lake, so I'd hold out for one of those for video stuff, if size and performance are important, as they curb-stomp the NUC-type products with desktop-grade performance and more storage options. However, you're still going to run into desktop-level pricing with those, so you may just want to go with a well-armed mini-ITX system, if you don't mind the significant bump in size.
And by "well armed mini-ITX system", I assume you mean something like this:
http://techbuyersguru.com/1500-vr-re...i-itx-pc-build

If one goes with a fully-loaded M900 Tiny, the price approaches that of the fully-loaded mini-ITX above, that has a dedicated Nvidia graphics card.

If its performance is far superior to the Tiny, I suppose we could live with the size of the mini-ITX system.

We'll see how Kaby goes in 2017.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 251 Old 10-24-2016, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Skylake NUCs are now shipping/in-stock at various online retailers like NewEgg. Prices are very nice.
post #155 of 251 Old 10-25-2016, 04:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ealltech View Post
Skylake NUCs are now shipping/in-stock at various online retailers like NewEgg. Prices are very nice.
They have been since 2015.

Thanks for the hot tip!
post #156 of 251 Old 10-25-2016, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herve View Post
And by "well armed mini-ITX system", I assume you mean something like this:
http://techbuyersguru.com/1500-vr-re...i-itx-pc-build

If one goes with a fully-loaded M900 Tiny, the price approaches that of the fully-loaded mini-ITX above, that has a dedicated Nvidia graphics card.

If its performance is far superior to the Tiny, I suppose we could live with the size of the mini-ITX system.

We'll see how Kaby goes in 2017.
And now that the inexpensive Geforce 1050 Ti is available, that alone reduces the cost of building a system (versus the 1070) by a few hundred.

(Back in the 1990s, I shelled out over $5K for a then-top-of-the-line computer. Thank goodness that the up-front cost of future trash has dropped dramatically.)

Again, if historical trends continue, I think we'll see a 4K UHD BD ROM in the very near future, quite possibly coincidental with the release of more Kaby Lake processors.

As opposed to the typical viewing distances of those who have TVs for "TV viewing", this ROM will be a nice thing to have for those who normally sit very close to a say 32" 4K monitor, or TV used as a monitor. And it will probably entice them to drag the monitor even closer, or to get out that magnifying glass (or, for the more distant viewers, low-power binoculars-glasses http://www.magnifyingaids.com/Eschenbach_MaxTV_Glasses ).
post #157 of 251 Old 11-03-2016, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked: 368
I missed it, because it wasn't widely publicized or listed in the bugfixes, but the latest NUC BIOS updates fix a critical security flaw in all the NUC chipsets SMM, which is the almighty, all-powerful, all-controlling backdoor into the hardware that bypasses all security measures. Installation of the latest BIOS update in your NUC will fix this problem and further secure SMM from rootkits and such.
post #158 of 251 Old 11-03-2016, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Gigabyte just unveiled their equivalent to the Skull Canyon NUC, the BRIX GTX PRO.

More or less Skull Canyon + 4GB GTX 950 w/ quad-display connectivity via 4 DisplayPort outputs. (No 1050 is a travesty!)

Comes with either an i7 or i5. Two i7 models are currently listed, with two high-end, slightly different in performance (clock-speed and cache) CPUs and totally different chipsets, yet the listed specs say they should be the same. I'm not sure what the real story there is, but it's weird.

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/prod...px?pid=6076#ov

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/prod...px?pid=6059#ov

The awkward design is obviously not based on consumer or professional desktops, but rather industrial PCs, so don't plan on buying one if you want something that looks nice, with solid ergonomics. It's literally a metal box with ports on two sides and nothing else.

Last edited by LexInVA; 11-03-2016 at 03:07 PM.
post #159 of 251 Old 11-05-2016, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Nice find, Lex.

Relatively small with a dedicated graphics card. You're right. Too bad it doesn't have a 1050 at present, but I would not be surprised if that changed in the near future.
post #160 of 251 Old 11-06-2016, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nice find, Lex.

Relatively small with a dedicated graphics card. You're right. Too bad it doesn't have a 1050 at present, but I would not be surprised if that changed in the near future.
Nvidia has a mobile version of the 1050 TI in the final stages of development, so perhaps we'll get one of those in there, next year. I would certainly buy it with a 1050 TI in the box, if the product wasn't too expensive, as it's pretty much impossible to find four DP outputs on a GPU outside of over-priced professional video cards.
post #161 of 251 Old 11-07-2016, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #162 of 251 Old 11-07-2016, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post
Nice find.

While perusing that unit I noticed a 1070 version that also looks pretty attractive:
https://www.zotac.com/product/mini_p...us-en1070-plus

And a nice unboxing / disassembly / start-up video:

After all the Kaby Lake chips hit the market, things are going to be very interesting, indeed.

Last edited by Herve; 11-07-2016 at 12:01 PM.
post #163 of 251 Old 11-07-2016, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nice find.

While perusing that unit I noticed a 1070 version that also looks pretty attractive:
https://www.zotac.com/product/mini_p...us-en1070-plus

And a nice unboxing / disassembly / start-up video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6SVlmtrTrQ

After all the Kaby Lake chips hit the market, things are going to be very interesting, indeed.
Not using a 6700T is a mistake. Nearly identical thermals, more cores and cache!

Once we get the AMD APUs with HBM, boxes like that are going to become VERY popular. That's what Microsoft is using for the Xbox Scorpio or whatever it ends up being called.
post #164 of 251 Old 11-08-2016, 05:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Apollo lake motherboard went on sale yesterday at Amazon. Apollo lake nuc release should be any day now.
post #165 of 251 Old 11-09-2016, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

https://jet.com/product/detail/c6a3b...A&gclsrc=aw.ds

Kaby lake brix appear to be available, 4k 10bit HEVC acceleration. MADVR people won't get much benefit.
post #166 of 251 Old 11-09-2016, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Only the upcoming AMD Zen APUs with HBM will be of interest to the madVR crowd that want an ultra-compact PC. Those are at least half a year away.
post #167 of 251 Old 11-09-2016, 10:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Only the upcoming AMD Zen APUs with HBM will be of interest to the madVR crowd that want an ultra-compact PC. Those are at least half a year away.
Yea, weak.

Until 4k content is available though, not a big deal. I'll probably get an apollo lake NUC then they go on sale to run psvue and random other crap, my htpc is too big right now.
post #168 of 251 Old 11-13-2016, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Intel is shutting down their NUC Twitter account next Tuesday. Based on some of the things I'm seeing elsewhere, it looks like Intel may also be shutting down the NUC product line after the Kaby Lake generation, as numerous other companies have stepped up and offered their own NUC-like products based on Intel's reference designs and Intel has been down-sizing their hardware commitments over the past few years, to focus on licensing to third-parties, such as those who make the NUC-like products and compute-sticks.
post #169 of 251 Old 11-14-2016, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Intel is shutting down their NUC Twitter account next Tuesday. Based on some of the things I'm seeing elsewhere, it looks like Intel may also be shutting down the NUC product line after the Kaby Lake generation, as numerous other companies have stepped up and offered their own NUC-like products based on Intel's reference designs and Intel has been down-sizing their hardware commitments over the past few years, to focus on licensing to third-parties, such as those who make the NUC-like products and compute-sticks.
Maybe they already cancelled, apollo lake nucs should already be out
post #170 of 251 Old 11-14-2016, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post
Maybe they already cancelled, apollo lake nucs should already be out

One would think that, given the Kaby Lake products from others, but the scheduled release date - such as it has ever been "confirmed" - is next month, in line with the Skylake generation of NUCs that were launched in December and went wide in January. We'll know by the end of the year, I suppose.
post #171 of 251 Old 11-14-2016, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked: 1556
Quote:
Intel is shutting down their NUC Twitter account next Tuesday. Based on some of the things I'm seeing elsewhere, it looks like Intel may also be shutting down the NUC product line after the Kaby Lake generation...
That would be a shame.
Over the last year+ I've built/deployed quite a few NUC's as workstations and to family and friends- everyone loves them!

My only gripe w/the NUC's is just not enough USB ports... I've given everyone a 4-port USB 3.) mini-hub with all my builds, but six vs. four built in USB ports would suffice in most situations.

"we're still here!"
post #172 of 251 Old 11-14-2016, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
One would think that, given the Kaby Lake products from others, but the scheduled release date - such as it has ever been "confirmed" - is next month, in line with the Skylake generation of NUCs that were launched in December and went wide in January. We'll know by the end of the year, I suppose.
First Apollo lake preorder I've found says dec 5th ship date. So I bet the market is flooded around then.

Can already get kaby lake mobile mini pcs, surprised no new NUCs are out. Guess we'll see in December, might not get anymore.
post #173 of 251 Old 11-18-2016, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
That would be a shame.
Over the last year+ I've built/deployed quite a few NUC's as workstations and to family and friends- everyone loves them!

My only gripe w/the NUC's is just not enough USB ports... I've given everyone a 4-port USB 3.) mini-hub with all my builds, but six vs. four built in USB ports would suffice in most situations.
Exactly. Love the NUCs, but they need a couple more USB in the back.
post #174 of 251 Old 12-09-2016, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Intel has begun putting up support pages for the Kaby Lake NUCs, which means they are in the final stages of pre-release testing and are putting the pages up to support the units they have sent out for field testing. From the look of things, we might not see an actual release until early January and Intel will do a product launch at CES, in conjunction with the many USB-C/HDMI 2.0 monitors being shown off there and UHD-BD drives to go with the next-gen PowerDVD 17.
post #175 of 251 Old 12-20-2016, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Intel pooped out another BIOS update for the mainstream Skylake NUCs. Just Security fixes and enabling performance-related features for CPUs. Still no official sign of Kaby Lake NUCs, so it looks like a CES launch is 99.9% certain at this point, if Intel hasn't canceled them all-together.
post #176 of 251 Old 12-20-2016, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Intel pooped out another BIOS update for the mainstream Skylake NUCs. Just Security fixes and enabling performance-related features for CPUs. Still no official sign of Kaby Lake NUCs, so it looks like a CES launch is 99.9% certain at this point, if Intel hasn't canceled them all-together.
They are coming soon. Apollo lake nucs are apparently out in Europe.
post #177 of 251 Old 12-31-2016, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

These are not NUCs, but things are starting to get Kaby Lake interesting:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10944/...ucff-pc-review
post #178 of 251 Old 01-01-2017, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
These are not NUCs, but things are starting to get Kaby Lake interesting:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10944/...ucff-pc-review
These have been out for months.

Katy lake i3 nuc launches next week during CES. I5 a few weeks later.
post #179 of 251 Old 01-02-2017, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 18
do you guys think a kaby lake nuc with celeron and iGPU would be able to playback UHD Blurays once Cyberlink release software for it?
Or would a Apollo Lake i3 NUC be needed?
post #180 of 251 Old 01-02-2017, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekromantik2013 View Post
do you guys think a kaby lake nuc with celeron and iGPU would be able to playback UHD Blurays once Cyberlink release software for it?
Or would a Apollo Lake i3 NUC be needed?
A Kaby Lake NUC with Windows 10 is required, but an Apollo Lake NUC should work just fine, so long as it is outfitted with 8GB of RAM or more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page